HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick up ice hockey

Old
03-22-2013, 11:37 PM
bruizer

vCash: 500
Pick up ice hockey

Hello, I will be moving to DC in April and was wondering if any of you played ice and where? I played in many footer leagues but I just started skating a couple weeks ago and am still learning, so I don't want to hop into any ice leagues just yet. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

bruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:03 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Hey man,
There are several ice rinks in the area. Personally, closest by is Cabin John. Also nearish is Rockville Ice Arena
Then a bit further you have a rink in Laurel, The Gardens Ice-house
I think at all 3 you can no problem find a stick and puck and pick up schedule.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:14 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Actually "In DC" or where specifically in the DC-metro area? It makes a pretty big difference.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:33 AM
bruizer

Thank you for the responses, I will be in the Waterfront region of Southwest DC. Anything that the metro connects to would be most convenient. Thanks again.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizer View Post
Thank you for the responses, I will be in the Waterfront region of Southwest DC. Anything that the metro connects to would be most convenient. Thanks again.
Check out the Kettler Capitals Iceplex. It's metro accessible, and it's a 5-10 minute drive from the SW waterfront in light traffic. You should look into doing one of their clinics, they're great for beginners.

There is good pickup hockey at several rinks in the area, but most aren't on metro. Check out Kettler, the Mount Vernon Ice Rink and the Tucker Road Ice Rink. Also, the skill level at pickup games in the area can be kind of high, so you might feel a little overwhelmed as a beginner. Again, start with a clinic or some stick & pucks.

Good luck!

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

What Devil Dancer said.

When you're no longer completely feeling like a buttered tripod, the adult league at Laurel Ice Gardens has like ten divisions, so you should be able to find a team which suits your skill, but it's probably a 25-30 minute drive.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
What Devil Dancer said.

When you're no longer completely feeling like a buttered tripod, the adult league at Laurel Ice Gardens has like ten divisions, so you should be able to find a team which suits your skill, but it's probably a 25-30 minute drive.
That's where I play, having so many divisional choices is great... but the drive home kind of sucks after a 10:20 game on a weeknight.

Kettler also has a beginner's league.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:49 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

I played there when I lived in Howard Co; I'm sure an equidistant commute is much worse coming from the south. I actually still hit up the 6-8am pickups at Gardens to sweat out excessive consumption when I come back east to visit family.

You have no idea how well-run those leagues are until you start playing out west.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:22 PM
bruizer

I'll be sure to look into those places. Thanks a lot for all your input, I really appreciate it. Kettler will probably be the best for me due to ease of access (I'm trying to avoid getting a car).

I've been playing pickup around here three times now. There are some really good skaters, but there's a lot of people who are limited like me in what they can do skating-wise. I can go forward pretty well and turn decently, however, stopping is another story that usually ends with me on the ice, thank god for protective equipment.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
You have no idea how well-run those leagues are until you start playing out west.
Really? What's wrong with the leagues out there? I appreciate what the Gardens does, but I have some issues with them as well, mainly their refusal to deal with ringers, the ice conditions (Logsdon is a death trap for ankles and ACLs) and the ****** refs.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:33 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
I played there when I lived in Howard Co; I'm sure an equidistant commute is much worse coming from the south. I actually still hit up the 6-8am pickups at Gardens to sweat out excessive consumption when I come back east to visit family.

There's a league in San Diego run by a guy from Minnesota that is top-notch. 5 skill divisions, refs and other teams always show, play-offs, 20+ game regular season, and it's played year round. Only complaint is the ice blows hard; it's in the food court of a mall so you can imagine it's pretty crappy.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:40 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

It's the same complaints, but my experience is that everything's a grade lower on average; sounds like there's one great league in SD though.

Just for a sense of where the bar is set, the rink where Cal Berkley's team used to host games had chickenwire instead of plexiglass in one corner. During our warm-up jog around the block, I'm pretty sure I saw someone simultaneously breastfeeding and smoking crack. Although, that having been said, I still tell people here stories about seeing bullet holes in the windows of Ft. DuPont.

Right now, I'm basically happy with where I'm playing, but once a month I have to drive 45 minutes to play a game that starts at 11pm. I've only seen one ref have a complete meltdown, and there's only one rink were the pre-game ritual is mending the nets with bits of old skate-lace.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

I havent played at kettler since it 1st opened, the league was pretty bad then.

Good luck carrying your hockey bag around the metro that sounds challenging to say the least.

I play at the gardens mainly bc location, ice sucks like mentioned but it does at most area rinks. HNA has a decent league but crappy rules. I would try a couple different rinks if i were you and see what feels best there are enough rinks in the area you can do pickup almost every day if you wanted.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Holtbyisms
L-O-S-E LOSELOSELOSE

If you can stand the drive the Laurel Ice Gardens is the place to go. I've been playing there since I was a kid.

Holtbyisms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:37 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I'd be careful metroing to hockey at Kettler. Sometimes Metro closes before you'll get out of your game.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:26 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Indeed. This is very good advice in general; If you use the metro to commute somewhere, make sure the metro is still running at the time you plan on returning from said activity.