Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Julien's benching...

Old
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
smithformeragent

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I'm not with the team. I can only speculate. Maybe he was *****ing about his linemates. Maybe he was *****ing that he wasn't given the opportunity to center the first line and Spooner was. Seems as good an explanation as any.

03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
remer

Gonzo at the trade deadline.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Danton Heineken
Unlimited Pasta Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I'm not with the team. I can only speculate. Maybe he was *****ing about his linemates. Maybe he was *****ing that he wasn't given the opportunity to center the first line and Spooner was. Seems as good an explanation as any.
I certainly would have done both these things.

These guys are only human.

Danton Heineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Gonzo at the trade deadline.
wanna bet.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
What about with Atlanta that fits into your "average" of 17 goals?
So you're saying that when a guy averages 17 goals it's surprising when given more ice time it goes up to 22 (his atlanta average) or when given much less ice time it might drop to 8 (Nashville) or crappy linemates like Chris Bourque and an unlucky shooting year it might go down to 12 (this year).

That's what averages are. Nothing to be stunned about here.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
xgallantx
Sold Soul for a Cup

I have no idea why Peverly was benched over Pandolfo. Peverly hasn't had much to work with and personally I think he has been giving his all most nights. He's had a bit of bad luck and his linemates have pretty much sucked. I see Peverly driving the net better than most Bruins and doing a good job stripping people of the puck on the backcheck fairly regularly. I'd like to see Spooner centre Pevs and Caron. I think that's our best bet 'til Kelly returns. I was disappointed to hear that Pevs was benched for the return of Krejci. Not for Krejci of course but I think that third line could possibly make something happen offensively. Pandolfo might as well be using a baseball bat out there, he creates NO offense.

Last edited by xgallantx: 03-22-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
xgallantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Certainly the 3rd line has been a disappointment so far this season, and Kelly and Peverley have underperformed, no question. I just look at the plan of having that role filled by Bourque as to be misguided at best. If they'd had a real training camp, the plan would have been Caron in all likelihood. Neither are even on par with Pouliot at this point, let alone an upgrade over him. So right from the jump, that line was going to be worse than it had last year. Just like it was going to be worse last year than the previous year(when Pouliot replaced Ryder). Sense the pattern? We're being told about this depth constantly and how that depth sets the team apart, yet when you look at it, there isn't really much depth, is there?
Other than a brief spurt of productivity in Providence, there's been nothing out of Caron to make me think that he deserved to be part of the plan. Guy's got a single point in 8 games (and is currently riding a 7 game pointless streak) and has 0 shots in 5 of those 8. Training camp could've been 9 months long and I'd still wonder if Caron 'got it' enough to be a productive member of the B's.

At this point, I'd rather Julien play Spooner between Paille & Peverley and put Caron on the 4th line with Campbell & Thornton than to keep Caron on the 3rd. Technically, I'd prefer MacDermid get that spot on the 4th line and Caron go back to the 9th floor. If they really were showcasing him by bringing him up (as some people have theorized) I'd say that he's actually hurt his value rather than helped it, and it was pretty low to begin with.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:26 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Other than a brief spurt of productivity in Providence, there's been nothing out of Caron to make me think that he deserved to be part of the plan. Guy's got a single point in 8 games (and is currently riding a 7 game pointless streak) and has 0 shots in 5 of those 8. Training camp could've been 9 months long and I'd still wonder if Caron 'got it' enough to be a productive member of the B's.

At this point, I'd rather Julien play Spooner between Paille & Peverley and put Caron on the 4th line with Campbell & Thornton than to keep Caron on the 3rd. Technically, I'd prefer MacDermid get that spot on the 4th line and Caron go back to the 9th floor. If they really were showcasing him by bringing him up (as some people have theorized) I'd say that he's actually hurt his value rather than helped it, and it was pretty low to begin with.
Caron looked good in the Philly game. I'm holding off on any offensive game judgements as long as players are playing on Pandolfo's line.

Last edited by MTaylorJ1: 03-22-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 01:26 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post

I'm with you on that. I've never understood why they've handed Caron so many prime chances at claiming this spot since he squanders them every time. I've seen enough of the guy to move on. He's basically the hockey equivalent of water.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:32 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I'm with you on that. I've never understood why they've handed Caron so many prime chances at claiming this spot since he squanders them every time. I've seen enough of the guy to move on. He's basically the hockey equivalent of water.
Its been reported on here that the coaching staff likes him for his "board play". I haven't seen his great board play since the 2010 when he was competing with Seguin for a spot. His foot speed hasn't improved in fact it looks worse than it did a few years ago.

I agree I cut ties with him now while he still has some value. Something along the lines of Morrow for Caron.

I wish him all the success in the world with another team.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Hopefully thats not the case. I send him packing if it is. Him and is 9 points -9 in 28 games don't deserve to be a 1st line center.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:36 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Its been reported on here that the coaching staff likes him for his "board play". I haven't seen his great board play since the 2010 when he was competing with Seguin for a spot. His foot speed hasn't improved in fact it looks worse than it did a few years ago.

I agree I cut ties with him now while he still has some value. Something along the lines of Morrow for Caron.

He must look great in practice because I've never seen him make a decent play along the boards during any games I've watched...

Old
03-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Turk 16

You can count me among those scratching his head at the Pevs benching. He hasn't been great, but far from the only veteran deserving of a penal benching. But given the state of our depth right now we can't afford to bench any of the healthy top 12 forwards.

No way Pandolfo should dress over Pevs, but Pandolfo is not really the problem. He's a 13-14 guy, but Claude has him playing on the 3rd line. Much bigger problem is production on the 1st line, specifically Lucic and Horton, either of whom, as some have pointed out, were more deserving of a seat near the rafters than Pevs.

At least split these two up for a game or two. Heck, let Paille skate with Krejci and Horton for a bit. Claude's reluctance to even tinker with his lines, barring being forced to by injuries, has always puzzled and frustrated me.

On the bright side, we stole one we didn't deserve to win, maybe the boys will wake up and play better starting this weekend!

Turk 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
missingchicklet

I thought for sure last night that Pevs being scratched meant a trade was coming. Appears that is not the case. Given the lack of production by almost the entire team as of late I suppose Pevs is in Claude's doghouse, because he is not the most logical guy to get a healthy scratch. Claude tends to not air dirty laundry, so we may never find out exactly why Pevs was scratched. Hopefully things get ironed out and Pevs comes around with his game, along with his lackluster linemates.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
So you're saying that when a guy averages 17 goals it's surprising when given more ice time it goes up to 22 (his atlanta average) or when given much less ice time it might drop to 8 (Nashville) or crappy linemates like Chris Bourque and an unlucky shooting year it might go down to 12 (this year).

That's what averages are. Nothing to be stunned about here.
So icetime and situations affect Peverley's performance only.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:21 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Why do we keep blaming everyone's problems on playing with Bourque and or Pandolfo? Some guys have just flat out dogged it and or sucked this season so far.

If Kelly and Peverley depend on guys like Ryder or Pouliot to produce any sort of offense, then they both are paid far too much.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Why do we keep blaming everyone's problems on playing with Bourque and or Pandolfo? Some guys have just flat out dogged it and or sucked this season so far.
Excuse makers and apologists. It's the exact thing that allows veteran players to play extended periods of poor hockey. I'm not producing because you stink.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:25 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
So icetime and situations affect Peverley's performance only.
No, they affect everyone's.

For example, Chris Bourque is terrible, but he played with Kelly and Peverley who are much better than he is, and he still couldn't produce. He got significant minutes here as well. Ending any doubt there was that he is terrible.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:25 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post

Must mean chess or checkers because it's not on the ice that I have seen so far...I do like him as a prospect though.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:28 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

If Kelly and Peverley depend on guys like Ryder or Pouliot to produce any sort of offense, then they both are paid far too much.
Depend is the wrong word. Kelly and Peverley excelled when playing with Ryder (a 2nd line talent) and more than held their own with Pouliot (a 3rd line talent). But they aren't good enough to put up numbers with AHL players or players skating with giant forks in their back.

They are paid what they are because they are excellent defensively (and the PK which they are part of has been superb), they're great on the dot, and they chip in offensively.

I don't understand why people think they're dogging it. They aren't. If they were their play in THOSE areas would have suffered. It didn't.

They've only been subpar at Even Strength this year? What variable is introduced there? Players who don't belong in the NHL.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:

BANG.

Spot the **** on

A dip in performance? Sure they had a subpar winger. but being downright awful. No.

Besides being the worst line on the team defensively they can't sustain a forecheck to save their lives, and its all on Bourque? Cripes

Last edited by CamFan81: 03-22-2013 at 02:36 PM.
CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I think it's more about overall line effectiveness than specific players, imo. Peverley has been bad, no question. Kelly was bad before he got hurt too. Pandolfo is a joke. Bourque was marginal. Caron is invisible.

Therefore, I think it really comes down to expectations. Kelly last year was an anomaly. He had a career year. People expected him to play the same and he didn't. So you look at the drop from Kelly last year to Kelly this year, the slow start for Peverley, and then throw in the Bourque/Pandolfo/Caron piece and you see start to see why that line has been bad. It's really about the whole line versus the parts of it.

To me, it really comes down to that line regressing the last 2 years in a row. You can only keep taking away so much before it will impact it. In this case, Ryder was a better player than Pouliot, and Pouliot was a better player than Bourque/Pandolfo/Caron. You've not only downgraded 2 years running, but you have a significant drop off from Kelly having a career year last season, which masked how drastic the drop off really was.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
howaryuh

Perhaps he was the guy in the middle (there is a theory that the best song in the world is Van Halen's Jump, because it's not terrible and not great, in the middle and can be used as a measuring stick).
Bench Pandolfo, so what, no message sent.
Bench Lucic or Horton, could really put them off and cause more harm than good in the long run.
Now Peverley is a perfect fit, a valuable player that will not be put off (I have met him and he does have a good personality), yet gets the top lines looking over their shoulders.
It's a sign to me that there is not much to have on the trade front, and they need to motivate what they have instead of gaining help from outside.
Then again, I could be all wrong about this, ha!

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
No, they affect everyone's.

For example, Chris Bourque is terrible, but he played with Kelly and Peverley who are much better than he is, and he still couldn't produce. He got significant minutes here as well. Ending any doubt there was that he is terrible.
Very poor post,without any recognition of the truth of that situation. Claude has now shown that he disagrees with you also. Clock is ticking on Peverley.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
BANG.

Spot the **** on
Yup!