HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Which Russian forwards have shown the most consistent hard-work ethic in the NHL?

Old
03-23-2013, 05:02 AM
Sentinel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Fetisov, always worked hard.

Then we have Titov, Nemchinov, Larionov, Datsyuk, Konstantinov, Kasatonov, Brylin, Zelepukin, Boris Mironov, Kravchuk, Nazarov, Salei, Yushkevich, Gusarov, Kamensky, Karpotsev, Skrastins, Kasparitis, Ulanov, Vishnevski and already mentioned Fedorov when playoff time was upon him.
I thought Titov, Kasatonov, and Kasparaitis were coasters.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Padan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Anyone else appreciate the level Kamensky played? I thought he was always dangerous, had some nice playoff runs and in many ways was almost like Ovechkin-lite.
Nice pick. Kamensky is underrated nowadays and actually outproduced Forsberg in several playoff runs. Wouldn't compare him to Ovechkin though, since Valeri kind of shied away from physical contact.

Padan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:01 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Anyone else appreciate the level Kamensky played? I thought he was always dangerous, had some nice playoff runs and in many ways was almost like Ovechkin-lite.
Yeah, I thought he was a very intense and talented player. Great skater. His stats don't really reflect his gifts. DPE I guess. Very injury prone too if I recall correctly. Missed a lot of games. Its kind of a shame, because we rarely saw him at his absolute best.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:13 AM
GuineaPig

I don't think Russians are on aggregate less hard workers than North Americans on Scandinavians, or whatever. Though Russian NHLers may be, simply because those that make the jump across the Atlantic are usually more talented than average (4th line grinders tend to stick to the KHL), and those who have talent can often make up for a lack of hustle.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:03 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post

Nah, I would never say Kasparaitis floated and I personally hate that guy. It's kind of hard to float as a defenseman, I guess it's possible.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:59 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Nah, I would never say Kasparaitis floated and I personally hate that guy. It's kind of hard to float as a defenseman, I guess it's possible.
the clearest example of the stereotypical floating russian defenseman would be someone like malakhov, for example. and no, kaspar was not that. his decision making was questionable at times, and that maybe speaks to either an inability to focus or perhaps less charitably a "mental coasting" (see also: jovanovski), but again very different from the non-exertion of a guy like malakhov.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Andrei Markov needs more love. Has very few bad games.

Came to the NHL as an offensive whiz, but really worked on his defensive game, to the point where his defense was actually better than his offense. Really get's unfairly labelled as an offensive d-man. Look at Mike Komisarek's career as proof of how good he can make an average d-man look.

Basically a poor man's Lidstrom at his best.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:06 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
the clearest example of the stereotypical floating russian defenseman would be someone like malakhov, for example. and no, kaspar was not that. his decision making was questionable at times, and that maybe speaks to either an inability to focus or perhaps less charitably a "mental coasting" (see also: jovanovski), but again very different from the non-exertion of a guy like malakhov.

Yes, Eddie Jo is a good example of a floating defenseman. He is the epitome of a flash in the pan too, one great season than fizzle fry!

I think Kasperitis knew exactly what he was doing, hit players when they are not looking and knee them whenever possible but he was definitely never a floater.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:01 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Sergei Brylin and Sergei Nemchinov come to mind. Guys who unfortunately for the NHL would probably stay in the KHL today to be domestic stars rather than hard working role players in the NHL.

Igor Larionov probably fits - he was a little softer than Brylin and Nemchinov, but from what I recall, always had a good work ethic.
I would not for one minute call the professor soft, Larionov precipitated the greatest line brawl in Wings history by taking Forsberg down. A quiet, steely tough as nails player.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padan View Post
Nice pick. Kamensky is underrated nowadays and actually outproduced Forsberg in several playoff runs. Wouldn't compare him to Ovechkin though, since Valeri kind of shied away from physical contact.
Physically, no. He wasn't Ovechkin, but I never thought he was soft either. I was thinking more along the lines of his flair for the dramatic. He just always seemed to be the shifty guy out there that could go end to end at any given moment. That tying goal in the Canada Cup 1987 was just unreal (start at 5:00). Talk about second, third efforts out there. I like how Mario was looking on when the goal was scored. Sort of ironic, one of the only other guys in hockey history you figure could do that play. And below, who can forget this goal back in 1996-'97? The goal of the year. Just a wonderful skillset.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:12 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

What about Khabibulin? Don't know much about his work ethic, but he has lasted a long time in this league. That surely says something about his commitment and effort.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:49 PM
PearJuice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Since we're opening it to all Soviet players, have to add Alexei Zhitnik to this list. The guy was a workhorse and had a long and somewhat successful career in the NHL.

Although some might not share this opinion of him, but I thought Bure was the hardest working player on the Canucks. The guy was in insane physical shape and he would go through all types of hurdles to get to the puck and to break free from checkers. The guy took on a lot of abuse and when called for, he wouldn't shy from getting even (just ask Shane Churla).
Agreed on Bure. He worked harder than most North Americans.

PearJuice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:08 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
What about Khabibulin? Don't know much about his work ethic, but he has lasted a long time in this league. That surely says something about his commitment and effort.

I don't think there have been too many goaltenders who don't work hard and last in the NHL...

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Yamaguchi*

A few more names:

Dimitri Kvartalnov

Nik Borschevsky

Ivan Gottselig

Last edited by Yamaguchi*: 03-24-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Tatarinov was a d-man
Yamaguchi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
Players who seemed to always care about the team & their teammates, and gave 100% and never took 'days off' or had lazy shifts, particularly in the face of strong opposition or during a scoring drought. The kind who never gave up, who fought to the bitter end even in a losing cause, who would take a hit to make a play and back up like they've got a firecracker up their butt to go help the defense when there's a turnover... Etc...

Doesn't have to be the most skilled and could be open to all former USSR member countries, not just Russia.
Genetically, Russians are clustered in the Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup R1a1a, which makes them genetically incapable of working hard or showing character. That is why Russians in general would not be insulted by the theme of this thread.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Chukcha

Alex Kovalev and Alex Selivanov come to mind.

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Yamaguchi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Genetically, Russians are clustered in the Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup R1a1a, which makes them genetically incapable of working hard or showing character. That is why Russians in general would not be insulted by the theme of this thread.

This is a bit racist.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Thanks for the insight. From that we can decisively conclude that guys like Vladimir Konstantinov and Sergei Nemchinov must belong to another haplogroup. Nice to learn something about players' genetics by logical deduction.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Yamaguchi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Thanks for the insight. From that we can decisively conclude that guys like Vladimir Konstantinov and Sergei Nemchinov must belong to another haplogroup. Nice to learn something about players' genetics by logical deduction.

I wonder, how on earth did they manage to destroy the Nazi armies in WW2 and win the Canada Cup, despite having such a poor gene pool?

Old
03-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Flyingsushi

Not a russian (but born in Soviet Union) and not a forward, but when it comes to hard work and excellent work ethic, "The Ironman" Karlis Skrastins has to be mentioned.

Flyingsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
People have talked about Kasparaitis, but here's some bits about Kasatonov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1991-1992
Kasatonov is a blue-collar Soviet, if there could be such a thing. Where most Soviet players have graceful, seamless games, Kasatonov is a worker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1992-1993
Opposing scouts love his poise, work ethic and powerful skating ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times - 1/27/1995
Aleksei Kasatonov, the Russian defenseman who played for three-and-a-half seasons with the Devils, may have found a home in Boston. "This is a good team. It likes to work hard, like me," Kasatonov said.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:17 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
I wonder, how on earth did they manage to destroy the Nazi armies in WW2 and win the Canada Cup, despite having such a poor gene pool?
Maybe by shooting straighter?

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:45 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
Maybe by shooting straighter?
Now now everyone knows Russians shoot from the hip or is that John Wayne?

Old
03-27-2013, 06:19 AM
jekoh

Come on people, Yakushev72 was obviously being sarcastic.

jekoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Come on people, Yakushev72 was obviously being sarcastic.
The replies to his post were also being sarcastic and I thought tat was obvious too.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote