HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2013-14 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part I

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 10:50 PM
YoungSinatra
While You Wait..

vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mclean View Post
Had it last year and hated it. Cancelled my subscription and got centre ice instead. So much better.
Really? I've had CI for the last three years and I like it but Gamecenter sounds tempting with being able to watch more than one game at a time.. Whats the comparison?

Old
03-24-2013, 11:14 PM
dirk41

vCash: 500
For whatever reason, it worked better last year for me. I get a lot of stuttering and freezing. I don't think the problem is caused by my 15 Mb/s download speed or i7 or 8 gigs of ram.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
unifiedtheory

I've only had two complaints this year.

- Lost a feed for a few minutes about a month ago but it turned out to be a NESN problem, not a Gamecenter problem.

- I don't like the lag. It's usually about 1:00 behind "live" action. Keeps me off the boards and Twitter during the live action though.

Through the PS3 it's almost perfect quality. Through Apple TV the quality can drop a little at times but I pass that off too my router and internet speed more than the app (PS3 hardwired too internet, Apple TV is via wifi). Watching it on my Mac the quality is awesome. On the iPad it's awesome.

No complaints, they have me for life.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Muscles Glasses

For me, the iPad app works great, and I rarely if ever have any buffering problems.

On the flip side, the PS3 app is the worst PS3 app I have ever used, the video quality bounces from HD to almost dial up quality in a matter of minutes, buffering and video jumping problems are awful as well. I hate this app so much.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:35 PM
sobrio

vCash: 50
The being at least a minute behind really is annoying, part of the internet experience is lost when you have to avoid forums, tweets and ignore texts because of the spoilers.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:45 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechNoir View Post
This is good to hear (well, in terms of me not being the only one) I am assuming it is a similar experience with a big screen via PS3 as it is for a big screen via Xbox 360.

Now the only problem for me is watching on a computer being a very bad experience too. Though I will definitely have to confirm this by testing it on a different PC. It's been working great non-live a day or two after games but that is incomparably less satisfying.

Hearing everyone else having a good PC experience though is encouraging that I can probably solve this
Actually no. Using the same connection, it's basically unwatchable on my PS3, but streams perfectly on my xbox. No idea why. It is definitely best on PC though

Old
03-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Works fine but more than half the games I WANT to watch are blacked out. Never buying it again. Oh and it says Im logged into too many devices every time and I have to log back in.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:57 PM
hockeyfreak7

Probably a majority of Flyers games are blacked out, so I decided on hockeystreams this season. Great decision-- haven't had a problem yet, no blackouts, and excellent quality. Like GCL, there is a slight lag, but nothing that is too bad to deal with.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:00 AM
LeighDx13

The only thing I don't like is that its goes from HD to regular back to HD every couple of minutes. Kinda gets annoying

Old
03-25-2013, 12:03 AM
BlamBlam

Hardwired and limit downloading while I watch on Apple TV and it's fine. 10 seconds of standardish definition and then it looks great.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:29 AM
ean

This is the best app ever. Running it on android so the blackouts are avoided with 1 click. Use HDMI out to watch on my big screen. I honestly dont know what im going to do come playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:31 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Bros Pizza View Post
Works fine but more than half the games I WANT to watch are blacked out. Never buying it again. Oh and it says Im logged into too many devices every time and I have to log back in.
I keep getting that too

Old
03-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I keep getting that too
Yeah, I get that on my Xbox all the time now.

Blackouts of NBC games are annoying too since the bum**** town my college is located in doesnt have an NBC affiliate.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:46 AM
manichu

I also have have awful experience. PS3 app is horrible, Boxee worse than PS3. Browser version is ok at best, but now it is beginning to stutter. That wasn`t the case at the beginning of the season.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

I had gamecenter last season and also this season, and use it on about every device imaginable. Some thoughts:

1) Except for occasional stutters, works fine on PC (which I usually use to stream to TV). Up to 4x games is nice and usually works okay, since I've got the bandwidth to handle it.

2) Tablet and phone both seem to work okay as for as when the game is streaming goes. The app can be a little wonky outside of streaming. No issues streaming good quality with my Teemu Bile 4g. Occasionally get odd blackouts when it thinks my phone is somewhere way off in the US than where I am.

3) Streaming on the Xbox bites. Hard. I suspect the issue with this is that the Xbox and PS3 apps go through the consoles respective online services, which are both garbage in terms of bandwidth. I don't think it's app related.

4) Getting really tired of blackouts, since I don't have or want cable TV. I honestly would not mind paying them a bit extra to unlock the blacked out games. However, this doesn't affect me as much as others as I work in the evenings so miss most games live, and watch them after the fact--Gamecenter is very useful for that. Still, it's very annoyed to come home and see: Red Wings, blacked out due to being on NBCSN. Bolts: Blacked out due to being on NHL Network. Avs: Blacked out because they're the local team.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:22 PM
RedBruin

Is it just me or is the PC player smoother than usual today ?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Westlander
Hup Holland

I don't know if others in Europe have this problem, but I couldn't watch last nights TOR-BOS game this morning as it was blacked out and the message says it will remain so for 48 hours. This used to only happen when you tried to watch a game live that was also on ESPN America, once the game had ended you could usually watch it no problem. This would basically ruin the subscription for me if I can only watch a bunch of the games 2 days after they've been played. **** the NHL

Old
03-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
This has to be a stupid question, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. When you're using GCL in a browser (not PS3), how do you start a game from the beginning that has already started? A lot of times I get home from work like an hour into a Preds game and want to watch from the start, but when I click the game box at the top, the game comes on live. It's gotten to the point where I line up the mouse on the box, drape a towel over the screen except for the bottom, click the box, then frantically scroll the bar at the bottom back to the beginning of the game.

Right clicking doesn't give me any other options; I have to be missing something. Would appreciate some help.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Smash88

vCash: 50
So are playoffs available on GCL?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Offsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlander View Post
I don't know if others in Europe have this problem, but I couldn't watch last nights TOR-BOS game this morning as it was blacked out and the message says it will remain so for 48 hours. This used to only happen when you tried to watch a game live that was also on ESPN America, once the game had ended you could usually watch it no problem. This would basically ruin the subscription for me if I can only watch a bunch of the games 2 days after they've been played. **** the NHL
Same here in Germany, usually I would watch the games the next day but it looks like they go for the full 48 hours. Which is ridiculous. If they keep this up it will be my last subscription for them.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:38 PM
SpokedLightning
3rd Line Grinder

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
So are playoffs available on GCL?
No as they are all provided on "national" broadcasts.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Does anybody notice a much better quality for American broadcasts than they do for Canadian ones?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
moneyorder

anyone else having issues with closed captioning on the xbox app? it asked me to download an update when i logged in, which i did, now every game has closed captioning.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Phanatic88888

PS3 app is crap. iPhone and ipad have been good

Tonight on my Roku 2 the Blackhawks feed was fine and then all of a sudden gets choppy. So I go to the Flames feed. Smooth then that feed goes choppy! Back to the Hawks feed and its smooth. Last minute of play its choppy again. Ughhhhhhhh

Never have these issues with MLB.tv

Old
03-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Phanatic88888

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
No as they are all provided on "national" broadcasts.
That would depend on location.

Closed Thread