HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2013-14 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part I

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 12:39 AM
frozenriverrat77
Do Vu's New Voodoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Anyone know if by using Unblock us, I will have access to the playoffs?
I was wondering the same thing. Are the playoff games presented and then blacked out? Or are then just not available at all?

Old
04-05-2013, 04:01 PM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Anyone know if by using Unblock us, I will have access to the playoffs?
It's supposed to. Unblock.us worked flawlessly through the postseason last year for me (PS3, Roku, iPad, iPhone), allowing the GCL app to stream all the live feeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenriverrat77 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Are the playoff games presented and then blacked out? Or are then just not available at all?
Streams of archived (completed) playoff games are available to all GCL subscribers, usually a few hours after the game's conclusion.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger: 04-05-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Bluesman91

So can you not access the NHL Vault from Apple TV?

Old
04-07-2013, 06:32 PM
theotis77

I'm done giving the NHL my money for Gamecenter after this season. The blackouts have just been out of control this year. I'd rather give my money to the "questionable" streaming sites in Europe at this point. At least I won't get arbitrarily blocked from watching what I paid for.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
oxydendrum

In demand has two games listed as tape delay tonight for the cable center ice package. We 1980's now.

http://www.indemand.com/sports/nhl/

Old
04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Parker

Seems like they were premature in rolling out the 60 FPS 720p feeds (the "4500kbps" vs. the 30 FPS 720p "3000kbps" feeds) and they just don't have the capacity/bandwidth to support them.

It would be awesome if they worked because the 60 FPS is basically indistinguishable from broadcast quality but it's like 5 seconds of action, 10 seconds of buffering, repeat. Even the 3000kbps streams have been buffering more than normal for me lately.

It's nice to know that they are working towards the 60 FPS 4500kbps stream option but it just seems like their infrastructure isn't there yet. Hopefully they get their act together over the summer and can deliver 60 FPS streams without all the buffering problems next season.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:12 AM
DVX

Which countries can you download the ps3 gamecenter app outside of U.S and canada?

Old
04-11-2013, 03:42 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Also would like to know about playoffs....

Old
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Parker

I heard something about NBC streaming all the playoff games online, but haven't seen an official announcement.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Faterson

OK, I have finally had it with NHL Blackout Live.

I was too stupid not to listen to other hockey fans who, months ago in this thread, warned me against purchasing this mockery of a "service". Here is the email I sent to NHL.com this morning:

Hello,

I am outraged by your constant blackouts of most NHL games I wish to watch, but can't, despite having bought a season-long subscription. I am in SLOVAKIA, CENTRAL EUROPE, for God's sake!!! How do you dare to black out ANY game for me? There is not a single Slovak TV channel broadcasting any of the NHL games, and even if it were, waiting for 48 hours (!!!!!) after the game completion to watch a full-length replay, is an OUTRAGE and an INSULT to any hockey fan. Also, what does an online service have to do with TV coverage? I am NOT even obliged to own a TV set or be subscribed to ANY TV channel!

If you can, please cancel my NHL GameCenter Live subscription for the current season, and issue a refund for the period still unused by me.

However, my main request is: Please confirm for me, in writing, that I will NOT be charged again for next season. I do NOT ever want to renew or buy ANY subscription from you, as long as there are ANY blackouts in place, especially for European (!!!!!) customers.

Please confirm for me that my subscription will NOT be automatically renewed for next season. I do NOT want your subscription.

Thank you.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:22 PM
modano

Do they have commercials prior the stream now on GameCenter?

Old
04-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Faterson

They typically have no stream, just a blackout notice.

I received an (anonymous) reply from NHL support, where the person pretends not to have understood my 2 requests above: 1) Cancel my subscription & issue refund if possible; 2) Don't renew my subscription next season. He/She completely failed to react to the 2 requests. I need to write them again.

The huge number of blackouts for live games was bad enough, but to withhold full-length replays of COUNTLESS games from hockey fans for 48 HOURS, is an OUTRAGE. They can wipe their silly ***** with those replays after 48 hours.

I was a cretin to have bought this subscription despite all the warnings on this board. Only a mentally deficient person can spend money on a crippled product like this. The NHL should be ashamed.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:44 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by modano View Post
Do they have commercials prior the stream now on GameCenter?
It's the black screen that's usually there. For Pens streams though, it'll come on about 10 minutes before the game. Not complaining since it's better than that craptastic music.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
04-12-2013, 08:58 PM
modano

Well I started the stream at game time and what I first saw was a NBC NHL commercial that couldn't skipped. After that the player was loading as usual.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Naggah

Hey gang, I am wondering if anyone would know if it is a possibility to get around blackout restrictions when it is broadcasted nationally in both canada and the US (i.e., the maple leafs/ canadians game tonight).
Currently I am using hotspot shield for a proxy but it wont let me watch games broadcasted nationally in north america. Do I have to pay to get a proxy from somewhere such as china? where there is no NHL broadcasted?
I would also like to know if there is a solution to this problem once the playoffs start. I know you would be able to get a few series but ECF/WCF/SCF would all be blacked out.
please, help!
streaming off justintv etc just wont work for the playoffs.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Leafs42084

Hey guys,

I have a PS3, but I never stream from it because it seems like its trying to get the best quality feed, and while its good 95% of the time, it will stutter, and then go to a lower feed then back up etc etc.

I would rather just turn down the quality of the feed, but there doesnt seem to be a way to do it on the PS3. I just cant seem to find it. Do you guys know where I can find the option to turn down the quality on the PS3?

Old
04-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Leafs42084

Also, does gamecenter cover the playoffs as well? or just regular season?

Old
04-16-2013, 05:58 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs42084 View Post
Hey guys,

I have a PS3, but I never stream from it because it seems like its trying to get the best quality feed, and while its good 95% of the time, it will stutter, and then go to a lower feed then back up etc etc.

I would rather just turn down the quality of the feed, but there doesnt seem to be a way to do it on the PS3. I just cant seem to find it. Do you guys know where I can find the option to turn down the quality on the PS3?
There is no option for that. There's no solution to your problem. It's a well known issue that most of us experience but it doesn't seem like it's going to be fixed this year.
GCL offers playoffs theoretically. In practice they will be blacked out in NA because they're being broadcasted nationally. Outside NA some playoff games will be blacked out, certainly everything from the Conference Finals on.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Didn't realise there was a pop-out option to watch games in. Would possibly make browsing HFboards during games and posting easier.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Zags91

The blackouts have been brutal this year. Pens, Rangers, Blackhawks, Flyers, etc. all have a ton of games blacked out due to the national TV schedule. It just defeats the purpose of having this service. Hopefully the playoffs are somewhat watchable.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Didn't realise there was a pop-out option to watch games in. Would possibly make browsing HFboards during games and posting easier.
Didn't use it this season but prior to that the pop-out would close randomly every couple of minutes and you'd have to reload, annoying.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:08 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zags91 View Post
The blackouts have been brutal this year. Pens, Rangers, Blackhawks, Flyers, etc. all have a ton of games blacked out due to the national TV schedule. It just defeats the purpose of having this service. Hopefully the playoffs are somewhat watchable.
I repeat, every playoff game will be blacked out on GCL in the US and Canada since all are on national TV.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:08 PM
malcolmedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Seems like they were premature in rolling out the 60 FPS 720p feeds (the "4500kbps" vs. the 30 FPS 720p "3000kbps" feeds) and they just don't have the capacity/bandwidth to support them.

It would be awesome if they worked because the 60 FPS is basically indistinguishable from broadcast quality but it's like 5 seconds of action, 10 seconds of buffering, repeat. Even the 3000kbps streams have been buffering more than normal for me lately.

It's nice to know that they are working towards the 60 FPS 4500kbps stream option but it just seems like their infrastructure isn't there yet. Hopefully they get their act together over the summer and can deliver 60 FPS streams without all the buffering problems next season.
I think with the more money they got this season with the discount, they have a lot of people baited. Im hoping they do. I've fallen in love with the East because of GameCenter.

As per the blackouts, I have never encountered a problem. Rules are pretty clear cut.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:50 PM
no2pen
Rookie User

Hi guys, new user. As a die-hard Flyers fan, I've been very frustrated this year. without looking, I'd venture a guess that about 85% of the Flyers games this season have been on NBCSN or the NHL Network, therefore meaning... well... you know... blackout. A lot of blackout.

Fortunately, I also like five other NHL teams on a casual basis, and the Flyers have been a non-contender all year. As for next year, I don't know if I'll renew.

I split games between my laptop and PS3. The laptop, there's been no issues. (For the first two weeks, my IP thought I was somewhere NOT in the St. Louis market; I don't use the IP change sites). The PS3, MAJOR issues. It's frozen my system about 40 times, no lie.

Finally, I wised up and had to start logging out of GameCenter every time I wanted to switch from one game to another, because that's what was causing the issue. I think they must figure they're going to have to wait until the end of the season to fix these issues, because it would probably be too disruptive to fix or something.

Anyway, the blackout issue is making me wonder if I really want to get it next year. I wish NHL would follow MLB's lead and only black out games on ESPN. MLB lets you watch postseason; they charge you for it, but it's pretty meager if you already have MLB.tv.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:17 AM
KaraLupin
카라

So if I have a DNS that is based out of North America, will I be able to get the Playoffs then?

Closed Thread