HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edler suspended for 2 games (Post #56)

Old
03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
cutcopy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Classless One View Post
NHL Coyotes.
I don't get it. How does having Elder suspended help their already **** and broke franchise?

cutcopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Meant to post this here, not the main boards:

I'm wondering how they determined his injury was on that play and not on the much heavier collision with D. Sedin that Smith almost left the game earlier for. He was down and out a lot longer on that play than the Edler one.
They consulted Henry the psychic hamster, he said on the Edler hit.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Also, I like that Edler did this. Smith clearly punched Daniel in my opinion, and he got a little payback. Whatever.
And that's where he sustained his hand injury which probably morphed into a head injury when shanahan called.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
I don't get it. How does having Elder suspended help their already **** and broke franchise?
It's called bias.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Fork

this is such ********

Fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Also, I like that Edler did this. Smith clearly punched Daniel in my opinion, and he got a little payback. Whatever.
I agree. If they can find a motive and the time to carry it out in the Hansen elbow, I'm surprised they couldn't find anything on that jab.
If the NHL is consistent at one, it's being inconsistent.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flik
Canucks fan for life

Two games?

Bush league.

Flik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
They have to stop with the videos here.

It's not charging because he wasn't trying to hit Smith. He turns his body and also tries to poke the puck.

Was Smith injured on that play? Or the one where Sedin was cross checked into him a few minutes prior?

No history, no malice, but 2 games.

What a farking joke.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
I'm shocked!

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bleedblack93

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
"Injury on the play" Clearly no one on the disciplinary squad watched the game.
The NHL was happy with Lucic's hit, despite Miller being injured, anyways.

Wish I could say this surprised me, but the NHL has had double standards for a while.

bleedblack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
They consulted Henry the psychic hamster, he said on the Edler hit.
They should consult hammy the hamster. That was one dope ass hamster.

Edler Von Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
same disciplinary committee that gave Lucic nothing for this :

I disagree with comparing it to the lucic hit. This lucic hit is the reason why they are so quick to dish out suspensions to players that hit goalies now. When they gave 0 games to lucic, the media/everyone went nuts which forced these morons to wake up and start handing out suspensions to contact with goalies. On the other hand, isn't that lucic hit around the time when the bruins were getting away with plenty of suspendable offenses? Wasn't that the same season that Chara intentionally hit pacioretty into the stanchion thinger?

Old
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

suspended 2 games for this. pretty sure shanahan realized he screwed up on the lucic non suspension so he started to crack down on running the goalie

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Meant to post this here, not the main boards:

I'm wondering how they determined his injury was on that play and not on the much heavier collision with D. Sedin that Smith almost left the game earlier for. He was down and out a lot longer on that play than the Edler one.
Smith left the game in the second intermission; the Sedin play occurred early in the second while the Edler play happened at the very end. It would seem the second collision worsened his situation.

Edler had plenty of time to stop. As soon as he skates behind the goal line, he has plain sight of Smith, but continues to turn towards the back of the net and directly into the goaltender. It was irresponsible on Edler's part to continue to skate for nearly a full second while staring straight at Smith.

It was a brain-dead play that could have been prevented by Edler. I think two games is fair. His season has not been good, and he has at times misjudged plays. It was his poor judgment that resulted in the collision.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:23 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

There are really no words to describe the absolutely arbitrary methods used to dole out supplementary discipline in this league. Nothing in a video, injury report, game sheet or ones own experience watching/playing the game can help rationalize the "logic" and or "systems' employed.

The ONLY conclusion to come from any of this is that it is SUBJECTIVE and because of that, it is open to outside influence. There is no other conclusion to be drawn here.

The league is one the edge of being a laughing stock, probably already is in a lot of ways. It's bad enough that the Eastern/Western teams travel is so skewed, that the NHL refs are so abysmal and inconsistent, that the Commissioner is so obviously only in power to satiate one side of the sport BUT TO BE SO ARROGANT as to NOT have a black and white disciplinary system when issues like this are elevated... to think that they can make a 'video' as justification for one suspension when a similar incident warrants nothing (and they're both on video) is just the icing on the ****ing cake with this league.

Who would want to work in AV, GMMG's positions when your plans/ideas/structure for your teams success means nothing because this league will do whatever it wants to whomever it wants whenever it wants with any justification on their side they deem worthy.

The only sport they're playing is not on the ice, it's in the boardroom... and they're laughing at every one of us.

I'm soooooooo sick of it.

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
arsmaster

Canucks have a reputation to live up to right NHL. Since they were deemed dirty before but had no suspensions it didn't really fit. Now they have some.

Probably the funniest explanations ever to boot.

Old
luongo321

So how much money does Edler lose from these 2 games?

Old
03-22-2013, 09:24 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Yes - there is wild inconsistency in the NHL's supplementary discipline regime. Sometimes it seems like they are just spinning the wheel of fortune. However in this case, it's hard to argue that they got it wrong. A major penalty, charging on a goal tender, the head was contacted (but not targeted), no history of infractions, 2 games.

It sucks for us, but it was a dumb play by Edler.
exactly. As soon as it happened I knew he would get suspended and in my head I was trying to justify it...and I couldn't.

I also tried rationalizing it from the point of view of sticking up for Dank but then I thought - where was this against Keith or in the last STL game when hall got cross checked in the ribs?

So 'retribution' somehow shows up now...against a goalie? He's not Lucic, he's going to get a minor at least in a close game.
Basically it was either gutless or stupid and i think highly of Edler so I'm going to go with stupid.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:25 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Smith left the game in the second intermission; the Sedin play occurred early in the second while the Edler play happened at the very end. It would seem the second collision worsened his situation.

Edler had plenty of time to stop. As soon as he skates behind the goal line, he has plain sight of Smith, but continues to turn towards the back of the net and directly into the goaltender. It was irresponsible on Edler's part to continue to skate for nearly a full second while staring straight at Smith.

It was a brain-dead play that could have been prevented by Edler. I think two games is fair. His season has not been good, and he has at times misjudged plays. It was his poor judgment that resulted in the collision.
Hey how bout u go worry about the jets somewhere else.

Edler played the luck and tried to squeeze between smith and the boards. End of story.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:25 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

there isn't really inconsistency. shaw and tootoo both got suspended for running the goalies after shanny started cracking down on these types of plays.

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
YogiCanucks

Fair considering what Lucic got.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
roach9

Quote:

Some people are just born sheep, aren't they?

"Fair".
Are. You. OUT. OF. YOUR. ****ING MIND?!?!?!?!

This is the most ludicrous, outrageous, incomprehensible suspension since Hansen's.

No Canuck-goggles on here. Just absolutely ludicrous.

And Shanny with his videos... oh my ****!!! He never makes an appearance in it probably because he's ashamed of himself for "doing his job".

Not a biggie that Eddie is out, but he has a history now... for THAT?!

If I lived in the NY area I would be stopping down at the NHL offices and demanding an actual explanation for this. If I'm Edler's agent, I am contacting Aquilini and Gillis and appealing this, immediately.

Complete and utter joke. There is no other way to describe it.

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mossey3535

However, two games is too much. What they should have done is suspend Lucic for one game at least against miller. Then they MIGHT have had precedent to give Edler two games.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:

It might seem that way but it's still an assumption on your part. I would like to know how they determined that the Edler play was what caused his supposed injury and what the injury actually was.

I'm sure you think this decision is fair, you and Shanahan are in the minority however.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

I think I'm done with this season. I can't take this league seriously when they don't have clear rules. 2 games for a "charging" penalty is unheard of. Goalies can get away with anything and it's part of the reason theres such low scoring, unwatchable hockey. The Nhl coddles them ever since the Miller incident.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote