Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Non-Minnesota NHL News XIII

We reached the meaning of life, universe and everything in the last thread. Time for a new one.

Previous threads:

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12

Old
10-02-2013, 12:08 PM
forthewild

There is no was to have fighting be a result of emotion when two guys have had enough of each other ****. I would like to see it go, it has no purpose any more, but we'll need to have a uniform discipline system in place which we won't with the wheel of justice.

Anywho can't wait for thursday

Old
10-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

vCash: 827
Give me Wild hockey now plx plx. I might wake up really early next morning to catch that COL-ANA game.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:47 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Trouba had an outstanding game last night. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the hunt for the Calder the entire year. Still kind of peeved we took Dumba over him.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Trouba had an outstanding game last night. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the hunt for the Calder the entire year. Still kind of peeved we took Dumba over him.
Not saying that Trouba won't be a good player, but you gotta give Dumba a chance before you can judge whether or not we picked the right player...and the sample size needs to be larger than 1 game.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have to think fighting will be out of the game within five years. Visors are mandatory for new players, so that's going to limit fighting. And not being able to take off helmets means even less fighting. To top that off, Parros gets a really nasty injury sustained after the fight with his helmet on.

There's no point to these shenanigans anymore. It's not two guys in the heat of the moment trading fists, it's a sideshow of non-NHL'ers.
I agree that its been reduced to a bit of a sideshow. They have to either allow it organically or ban it at this point.

One good thing at least is that an unwritten rule between fighters is developing that both participants will take the others helmet off to get around that silly no taking your helmet off rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
The Parros injury was one of those fluky events though. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before quite like that, and the other player really looked like he did not mean for that to happen based on his reaction.

I hope they don't remove fighting, even though I could see you being right that it will be gone in five years.

Imo, that's part of the reason these guys get paid millions each year. It's a violent sport, played on ice of all things with blades and sticks, it's not supposed to be too nice, and that's why hockey fans love it as much as they do.
Yeah that was clearly a freak accident and everyone knew it. You saw his partner instantly recognize it and frantically motion for the trainers.

I hope he's OK.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:55 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Not saying that Trouba won't be a good player, but you gotta give Dumba a chance before you can judge whether or not we picked the right player...and the sample size needs to be larger than 1 game.
Given that Minnesota is still searching for a top - 4 defenseman and Dumba still to be a few years away -- I question if Dumba's physical nature will translate well into the NHL. His offense seems to but that wasn't the only reason we drafted him.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:57 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Given that Minnesota is still searching for a top - 4 defenseman and Dumba still to be a few years away -- I question if Dumba's physical nature will translate well into the NHL. His offense seems to but that wasn't the only reason we drafted him.
I disagree there. I think he is very close to being NHL ready right now.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:02 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
I disagree there. I think he is very close to being NHL ready right now.
I think that might be a bit dangerous. Players like Brodin don't come around too often. I mean Scandella a few years ago looked ready and now look at him!

Old
10-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The first move is to make fighting an ejection and automatic suspension. Maybe if they add in a fine that will be the final nail in the coffin.

It's just silly to have an impromptu boxing match in the middle of a hockey game.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:15 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
I think that might be a bit dangerous. Players like Brodin don't come around too often. I mean Scandella a few years ago looked ready and now look at him!
Everyone is unique.

Scandella =/= Dumba
Dumba =/= Brodin

Old
10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Yeah well some of us never thought highly of Scandella and knew Brodin was ready--incidentally he was ready the year before his debut but wanted to stay in Sweden. Dumba will be more useful than some of our NHL defensemen...if it's a matter of development I don't think a year in juniors is going to prepare him any better for the NHL than say 40 games with third pairing minutes plus all the practices IN the NHL. Why burn his contract? Because he's better than whoever our #6 defenseman would otherwise be (at least) and we're planning on getting a little further this year.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:34 PM
rafterman

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

One good thing at least is that an unwritten rule between fighters is developing that both participants will take the others helmet off to get around that silly no taking your helmet off rule.
Which only makes it more of a silly sideshow.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

It's just where we're headed culturally. You guys know there are youth soccer leagues in the states that don't count goals, right? Because it creates a competitive aggressive atmosphere. That is a bad thing, evidently.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Take fighting out and supplemental discipline is going to have to be cranked up, which will probably lead to refs tossing guys out of games under questionable calls. That'll get frustrating.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

We might as well just take up watching the WNBA at that point

Old
10-02-2013, 02:17 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
It's just where we're headed culturally. You guys know there are youth soccer leagues in the states that don't count goals, right? Because it creates a competitive aggressive atmosphere. That is a bad thing, evidently.
The Slippery Slope argument? I don't buy it.

College hockey got rid of fighting a long time ago and it's still a fast, exciting, and aggressive game....and they still count goals!!!

I'm not advocating getting rid of fighting in the NHL game, altogether. I just wish they could somehow get rid of the whole "enforcer" part of the game with these staged fights. I don't mind fighting if the two combatants are guys that log more than 10 minutes of ice time a game, in other words, are actual hockey players.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Are you serious? Please tell me you are joking.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:31 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Here's how you get rid of the enforcers: Set a maximum number of fighting majors per season...let's say 4. If someone receives a 5th fighting major in a single season, they are suspended without pay for something like 20 games and the team is fined a large amount of money that gets donated to the "Retired Enforcer Fund".

Old
10-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
I love how Oil fans were saying last season that Dubnyk has finally evolved into a no. 1 goalie, and yet after his **** performance last night there's already a number of threads popping up on the trade section about Oil fans wanting a different goalie. Never change Edmonton fans, never change.

Old
10-02-2013, 04:17 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
The Slippery Slope argument? I don't buy it.

College hockey got rid of fighting a long time ago and it's still a fast, exciting, and aggressive game....and they still count goals!!!

I'm not advocating getting rid of fighting in the NHL game, altogether. I just wish they could somehow get rid of the whole "enforcer" part of the game with these staged fights. I don't mind fighting if the two combatants are guys that log more than 10 minutes of ice time a game, in other words, are actual hockey players.
No, not the slippery slope argument. I'm saying it makes sense taken into the context of the countries changing mores considering violence of all kinds. Your wife deserved a backhand for talking back once upon a time. Spanking a child was the norm. Etc etc. violence and aggression becomes less and less tolerable across the board; we've largely accepted that violence done for disciplinary reasons is morally wrong. Now (real) violence in entertainment is being phased out as barbaric with the main justification for removal the safety of the participants involved who are, presumably, unable to make the correct decision themselves.
As a society we don't want to marginalize anyone which means avoiding hurting their feelings in any way possible. No one gets first place ribbons--everyone gets participation ribbons.

Old
10-02-2013, 04:45 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Yet in that culture of anti violence...UFC is taking the nation by storm.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Yet in that culture of anti violence...UFC is taking the nation by storm.
indeed. "acceptable" get's concentrated. I'd be curious to know what the amount of money spent on the UFC/Boxing is today compared to years past (inflation accounted for). The reason it's acceptable? because that is ALL the sport is, whereas it's only a part of football or hockey. The reason it may be more popular? People who miss that aspect of other sports they've followed gravitate toward it in something else. You don't have to give up being a hockey or football fan to start following the UFC. In fact, i think it makes it easier to let go of the violence in the one sport if you follow it in another.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:48 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

I'm pretty neutral on fighting in hockey, but I absolutely cannot watch UFC, it's way too brutal.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:51 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I've said this before but my idea for fighting is basically this:

1. Game misconduct for any party that engages in a fight that creates a stoppage of play.

2. Fighting is allowed after a stoppage of play if all parties involved were all on the ice prior to the play being stopped.

3. 5 minutes for fighting and instigator penalties still stay.

What this does is completely removes players who can not play an NHL shift. As well as end the staged fights and the annoying ones that negate action because two knuckleheads are going at it behind the play. Fighting is still allowed and I believe will be more emotional as it will have a higher meaning because more quality players will be involved and will stem from scrums after a whistle.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Closed Thread