Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I'm also in the camp that doesn't see the appeal of Half Life 2. I understand that it's supposed to be one of the best FPS games of all time, but I rented it back when Orange Box came out. I loved the first half hour of it, then it fell off the map and I didn't want to even touch it again.
I thought the Orange Box was an incredible value. Those half life games were incredible.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Doom 3 was freaky, I'll be honest I couldn't play it much. Fatal Frame was even scarier. Also couldn't play that. F.E.A.R. was also pretty freaky.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There was a big change when the games moved to three dimensions. It moved from being kind of this mechanical, fluid interaction (i.e. a hand-eye coordination game) to exploring the surroundings and task-driven. Here's one take and here's another. Then factor in the nostalgia...
Holy Walls of Text, Batman.

Going to have to wait to read those when I have a good chunk of free time to read with. Then I will get back to you with my arguments.

Also, I loved HalfLife 2...I just wish they'd hurry up and release episode 3 already, or a full blown half-life three. I *HATE* cliffhangers that last for years in video games. I just hope it one day does get finish, and doesnt end up like Freespace 2. I would wet my pants if someone picked that piece of IP up and got a talented sci-fi writer to pen the story for a third game that goes into more detail about the Shivans and their nature.

Also, trying to find a free $150 in order to pick up a Saitek X52 Pro. Because I need more buttons.

Old
07-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think it's objective, it's just preference.

For some people, exploration and discovery is the premier joy of gaming. For others, it's a sense of accomplishment. Another is that kind of feedback loop of the interaction between the controller and the game itself. I'm a big sucker for the combination of the interaction and accomplishment. At first, it was one or the other (platformers and RPG's), but lately there have been RPS/FPS hybrids that can accomplish both.

I find it kind of entertaining that there are folks who almost have a fetish for the animation and physics of Mario's movement in the first game. But it's true. When you move left then right, he turns around and goes the other way. It's very quick and subtle, but it's there. Would we love Mario if he simply immediately reversed direction? What about if he didn't slightly accelerate when running? Or didn't have momentum when running? Very little subtle things that made the game challenging and fun and rewarding.

But that gets into the philosophy of gaming.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Jbcraig1883

Need opinions. Have some rebate cards to spend. Figured I'd pick up an NHL game considering I have not owned one since 08. I played 2010 a few weekends ago and liked it.

So, 2010, 2011, 2012, or 2013? Just looking to play for a little bit. Would like a mix between arcade and realism. Not too arcady (or whatever) where you can just run into people, knock em over, and get the puck, and not too realistic were you have to use the analog to puck handle or make the perfect play to score.

Don't care about To Be A Player or whatever...I like managing teams but I have Eastside Hockey Manager and FHM for that...

Thanks!

Old
07-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nice! I also haven't owned one since NHL 09. Played a ton of Be a Pro, that's a lot of fun. Any of those would work, but I would say get NHL 13 so you can get the newest rosters and what not. Should be cheap nowadays.

Or just wait six weeks and pick up NHL 14.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Nice! I also haven't owned one since NHL 09. Played a ton of Be a Pro, that's a lot of fun. Any of those would work, but I would say get NHL 13 so you can get the newest rosters and what not. Should be cheap nowadays.

Or just wait six weeks and pick up NHL 14.
Was originally thinking that but school starts back up in a month so work will get a little crazy for awhile...then real hockey will be upon us (going through withdrawals).

Old
07-24-2013, 03:04 PM
GMAN23
Fresher than a F5

JB I would definitely go with NHL 12. I feel the new "realistic" skating engine in NHL 13 would be something you wouldn't like, seeing you like a little of a arcade feel.

To Jarick point of reasons why people play games. I only play online games. I love the competition of online gaming. I have never played a single player game since Xbox Live released. Feel like I'm missed out on some great stuff but I just cant sit and play a single player game.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:31 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I mean I think they've gotten better every year since I switched from 2K Sports to EA NHL, so I'd say get '13 or wait for '14. But that said, if you're not sure which one you'll like the feel of best, why not just get the demos of the more recent ones?

Old
07-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I mean I think they've gotten better every year since I switched from 2K Sports to EA NHL, so I'd say get '13 or wait for '14. But that said, if you're not sure which one you'll like the feel of best, why not just get the demos of the more recent ones?
Thanks fellas. I went with 12 since it was only $22 and I had a $25 prepaid card.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:24 AM
INTOTHEVOID
Go right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Anybody by chance tried selling their gaming stuff to a place called High Score? I hear there's a few around the metro area here in the Twin Cities and supposedly they give you a much better return than GameStop does.

Like old school gaming stuff? I don't know about high score but Level Up Games in South St.Paul actually gives solid prices on old video game stuff.

They also will give you a lot more than gamestop for current stuff, unless they have too many copies of a certain game.

But my advice would be just never sell to gamestop, disgusting how much they offer you for games. And for whatever reason people still do it.

Last edited by INTOTHEVOID: 07-25-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old
07-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would just put the games on eBay with a reasonable buy-it-now.

Old
07-25-2013, 03:27 PM
mnwild

always go with the newest one(14).

had i seen this thread earlier i would have sent you NHL 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, and 12 for free. no joke. the newest one is always the best. why waste time fumbling around with old rosters. every time ive tried to play the older ones while having the newest, it felt like i was using a pager after owning an iphone. the realism improves every year.. also.. you know, current rosters..

Old
07-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwild View Post

had i seen this thread earlier i would have sent you NHL 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, and 12 for free. no joke. the newest one is always the best. why waste time fumbling around with old rosters. every time ive tried to play the older ones while having the newest, it felt like i was using a pager after owning an iphone. the realism improves every year.. also.. you know, current rosters..
You nicely put everything that's wrong with sports games' marketing policy.

Old
07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Ladde

The PS4/Xbox One versions of Fifa14 I have heard are marginally better than the PS3/Xbox360 versions. I am hoping this is the same for NHL.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwild View Post

Ha, well, I will keep that in mind for the future

I really suck at defense. I don't play aggressive. I try to block lanes and pokecheck and it seems the computer gets into modes where I cannot get the puck.

I can score but games are like 8-7 or 6-5. So, yes, my defense sucks.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:20 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
The PS4/Xbox One versions of Fifa14 I have heard are marginally better than the PS3/Xbox360 versions. I am hoping this is the same for NHL.
NHL 14 is only gonna be current gen.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:40 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
NHL 14 is only gonna be current gen.
Between that and GTA:V, I honestly see no reason to deal with the attempts of getting the new system around Xmas time. Wait until next summer.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Ha, well, I will keep that in mind for the future

I really suck at defense. I don't play aggressive. I try to block lanes and pokecheck and it seems the computer gets into modes where I cannot get the puck.

I can score but games are like 8-7 or 6-5. So, yes, my defense sucks.
That's how I am too. It's just too hard to get the perfect lane and timing and what not to be a shutdown guy. Instead I'd play defense like Mike Green and get 80+ points.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
That's how I am too. It's just too hard to get the perfect lane and timing and what not to be a shutdown guy. Instead I'd play defense like Mike Green and get 80+ points.
I'm kind of in between. I usually try and position myself correctly, apply poke check, if it fails apply body check or stick lift. If all that fails, at least stand between the puck and the net, so he can't shoot or do the cross-crease pass. But then again, I also try to do long lead passes whenever possible, and even chip in offensively if I got the chance.

So yeah, puck-moving D is probably closest to my style. L3, 84 OVR.

When I play as a forward, I'm both stylistically and build-wise a TWF. Center, whenever possible, because I tend to win faceoffs and also because not too many drop-in guys know how to play C position wise. They think captain = leading offensive player. Too many kids with tiny players trying to be Sidney Crosby without the D.

07-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll usually do a speedy scoring winger (who inevitably hits everything that moves), a bigger two-way center, and a puck moving D-man.

Only problem is the game is too easy so like Tiger Woods, I'm walking away from the competition right off the bat.

Also, the game is too slow so I crank everything all the way up (speed, passing, shooting, etc).

Old
07-26-2013, 11:54 AM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Between that and GTA:V, I honestly see no reason to deal with the attempts of getting the new system around Xmas time. Wait until next summer.
Same. I'll have GTA V, NHL14, and Rome Total War 2 all around that time, not to mention a backlog of steam games.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:42 PM
MNman

NHL 14 will be the last game I buy for the 360...and Xbox One will come when I get Tax Refund money back (that way I can catch up on a couple of the day 1 releases for a used price until TitanFall releases)

At first I felt that jbcraig did the right thing by going with NHL 12, because of his comments about the relationship between simulation and arcade, but now listening to this comments about how he plays D, NHL 13 sounds better.

Of my 246 Online games, about 80% of them are at the LD position, and I am so much happier playing D this iteration compared to the last couple years, because covering passing lanes and just regular smart hockey plays are actually rewarded in NHL 13. This is by far the toughest year to pull of the cross-crease goal. As a D-man, I have noticed just how much different this game is when you can get the puck out of your zone quick and clean, which is what I feel my strength has been at this game. You can actually angle the puck carrier into a position that limits his options, cause a TO, and transition the puck to an attacking teammate quickly.

Predict where the puck is going to go, and 95% of the time you will make a good defensive play.

Old
07-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
NHL 14 will be the last game I buy for the 360...and Xbox One will come when I get Tax Refund money back (that way I can catch up on a couple of the day 1 releases for a used price until TitanFall releases)

At first I felt that jbcraig did the right thing by going with NHL 12, because of his comments about the relationship between simulation and arcade, but now listening to this comments about how he plays D, NHL 13 sounds better.

Of my 246 Online games, about 80% of them are at the LD position, and I am so much happier playing D this iteration compared to the last couple years, because covering passing lanes and just regular smart hockey plays are actually rewarded in NHL 13. This is by far the toughest year to pull of the cross-crease goal. As a D-man, I have noticed just how much different this game is when you can get the puck out of your zone quick and clean, which is what I feel my strength has been at this game. You can actually angle the puck carrier into a position that limits his options, cause a TO, and transition the puck to an attacking teammate quickly.

Predict where the puck is going to go, and 95% of the time you will make a good defensive play.
It'll be even better next year, when they add defensive strafing. Why it wasn't added with NHL 13 and the new skating engine remains a good question, but all that matter is that they're at least doing it.

It's a shame that the players still have the same faces they had 5 years ago, Granlund looks like a ****ing abomination (and has blue-shaded visor for some reason), and Torrey Mitchell seems to be a member of a biker gang or something. Custom logos and jerseys need a revamp too, they need to add more names. Updating the Euro rosters more often would be nice, too. With that said, I think they'll address the customization and graphics in NHL 15, when they move to new gen. It's a smart move, but it's also disgraceful that the custom logos are the same ones from at least NHL 07.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

From what I recall, didn't the old NHL PS2/Xbox games kind of take a dump during the transition? I would imagine they are working on a completely new engine and graphics and everything for the new systems and not devoting full resources to 14. Of course, that won't stop them from charging $60...

Closed Thread