Notices

NHL 14 & General Video Game Discussion Part Cinq

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
I wanna improve my team in HUT, but my current team is doing so well right now I don't have the heart to break it up. For anyone who needs some cheap effective players I'd really recommend Legwand and Kulikov. Legwand you can get for about 1000 pucks right now and he's got 34 points in 24 games for me so far. Kulikov has been my best d-man so far with 15 assists in 24 games and a +21 rating.

Still waiting for a few brutal losses to knock me back down to earth. Averaging 3.92 goals for and 2.11 goals against per game. No way do those stats stay that far apart for much longer.

Old
09-21-2013, 08:52 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Anyone else finding the Wild like completely unusably bad in NHL 14? Maybe I'm just way worse at this one than '13, or maybe it's because every online opponent just picks the same 3 highly-rated teams (Pens, Blackhawks, Rangers) but it's, like, impossible for me to win right now. I feel like my goalies are giving up easy stuff (wristers from above the circles, etc.), everyone has terrible shots (constantly missing the net, really soft shots), their goalies are infallible, everyone's crazy slow, and everyone on my team (except Rupp, haha) goes down in a heap with the slightest collision (or bounces off completely when they try and check).

Old
09-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
So why didn't you just PM the guy instead of making a useless post in this thread?
Good question and the answer is basic finnish reason: I was too drunk! Sorry.
But now that I am almost sober I gotta ask were you guys talking about online -or offline faceoffs?
I am pretty good at EASHL but I dont play offline games at all.

When playing online as a center you have to find the right timing in faceoffs. It is allmost always different(because of the internet connection changes). I mostly use backhandstyle. And when the reff moves his hand I press once down left(lefthanded stick) and after the first movement I repeatedly press about threetimes to the same direction(incase my first reaction was not good because of connection).

And there are multiple variations that wont work against other options. Like if you try to ho forward and opponent uses backhand-faceoff you will most likely loose.
You can find these basictricks by using google.

But I am guessing you guys are talking about offline stuff and in that I really cant help.

All those who use xbox360 I can give my gamertag as a PM

It is a shame the lag is so huge when you play with or against the NA-players. But I am willing to try.

And the finns in here seem to be using PS3

Ps. And to those who play livegames "seriously" you can help the lag by using oldstyle tv's! There is the thing called( hmm.. trying to find a word in english) tv-screen lag. If your tv is superhypermega HD it will take more time for the singnal to reach the tv-screen.
I hope you understood what I ment.. Bad english

Last edited by Goldmember: 09-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old
09-22-2013, 11:32 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I'm running into some terrible AI problems. Had 3 AI teammate penalties in one game, yet again. Next game, I threw a check as Koivu and got a major/misconduct for elbowing...now granted if I had gotten a minor for charging or something it probably would have fit the circumstances, but until there's an "extend elbow" button or there's any player control over elbows whatsoever, I really don't think the game should give out majors for it. Add in the fact that I've had to start using Harding because Backs gives up shots from the point so reliably that it's almost an exploit...Yeah I'm not particularly happy with '14 right now. The new stuff (hitting animations, fights, etc.) is great, but it feels like every match is completely outside my control because of stupid stuff like arbitrary AI penalties, goaltending, ratings differentials, etc.

Old
09-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

About the only thing that's annoying me with 14 right now is how stupid the AI is when it comes to offsides. Almost anytime I'm rushing up the ice with my two other forwards at least one of em', usually the left wing, will always go offsides no matter how fast I get into the zone and no matter how straight I do it. It's not like I'm letting up at the last second for him to go past and then I go offsides, no, the AI literally just rushes ahead when I'm rushing in with the puck and it's always offsides.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Engebretson

vCash: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
About the only thing that's annoying me with 14 right now is how stupid the AI is when it comes to offsides. Almost anytime I'm rushing up the ice with my two other forwards at least one of em', usually the left wing, will always go offsides no matter how fast I get into the zone and no matter how straight I do it. It's not like I'm letting up at the last second for him to go past and then I go offsides, no, the AI literally just rushes ahead when I'm rushing in with the puck and it's always offsides.
Noticed this too, and it's especialy upsetting when I am about to let off a slapper as soon as I cross the blueline. Offsides gets whistled, my guy can't hold off on the shot and now I have one of my top guys in a fight because of the new fighting engine. Happens about once a game and I know I just need to change my playing style a bit, but it never really happened on previous iterations of the game.

Old
09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
GTA V, that is all.
It's amazing. I already beat the main storyline. Awesome.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
It's amazing. I already beat the main storyline. Awesome.
Already? Thats awful quick. Must be a ton of side missions.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Vashanesh
Nope.

I'm really taking my time with it. I've been blown away so far. Finished the first heist, finally got Trevor, fantastic game.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:38 AM
tomgilbertfan
#WhyBother

I just finished a heist with Trevor that involved jumping out of a plane.

Trevor is one of the best written video game characters ever.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I didn't like any of the other GTA games. Should I even bother with this one?

Also, ICO is free for PS+ subscribers!

Old
09-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Vashanesh
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I didn't like any of the other GTA games. Should I even bother with this one?

Also, ICO is free for PS+ subscribers!
If your complaint with the previous GTA's has been a poor story? Yes, without a doubt.

If your complaint with the previous GTA's has been controls, themes or mechanics? This doesn't really remake the wheel, it just continues to refine them.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I bought GTA V yesterday. I've already had a quick chance to try it, and the only thing I dislike is the driving. The physics are terrible, there's way too much grip until suddenly there's none. It's too easy and too difficult at the same time. IV had it just right, and that's not an opinion but a fact.

Other than that? Top. ****ing. Notch.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Vashanesh
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I bought GTA V yesterday. I've already had a quick chance to try it, and the only thing I dislike is the driving. The physics are terrible, there's way too much grip until suddenly there's none. It's too easy and too difficult at the same time. IV had it just right, and that's not an opinion but a fact.

Other than that? Top. ****ing. Notch.
You'll get used to it. I absolutely hated the driving in 4, and I'm loving it in 5 now that I've gotten more comfortable with it.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Woke up at 6:30 AM, played some GTA V with my friend for a while until we went for some NHL 14. We played four EASHL quick matches as goalies. I ended up having 3 wins versus his 1, but we both played really well it must be said. Played some club games too, got up to division 6 and we're 3-2-0 so far, including a 1-0 win in 4OT.

After I got home, I spent pretty much the whole evening with GTA V. Despite feeling really tired at around 9 PM, I wanted to finish the mission that I was on. I liked the mission. I liked the next mission, too. And I like Trevor, as a character.

It's 4:30, and I finally put the PS3 off. I don't think this'll be the last time GTA does this to me... I mean, I must say that I had to manage my expectations after hearing so much praise, but it's really worth most of it. That game is GOOD. And the driving is not half bad once you get used to it either, and it's a lot of fun off-road. Wanna lose the heat? Drive off a cliff. They usually won't be able to follow you to the bottom, and there's only about 40% chance of death.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:50 PM
tomgilbertfan
#WhyBother

Trevor is a fantastically written character.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Vashanesh
Nope.

Agreed, Trevor is amazing. He's a really believable character.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

I'd love to play a little NHL 14 right now but those ****ers at the Hamline IT Desk still haven't connected my ethernet ports and it's been THREE ****IN' WEEKS NOW!!! They better send me an email or something by Thursday saying they're at least working on it or they're gonna have one pissed off student on their hands when I march up to that desk.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:39 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
I'd love to play a little NHL 14 right now but those ****ers at the Hamline IT Desk still haven't connected my ethernet ports and it's been THREE ****IN' WEEKS NOW!!! They better send me an email or something by Thursday saying they're at least working on it or they're gonna have one pissed off student on their hands when I march up to that desk.
Just keep contacting them.

When I was in dorms, I did the application to the IT desk about getting it all hooked up/allowed for me to play, and they said it'd be a day or two. Three days later, it still wasn't good to go. So I emailed them again and again(three times a day) for three days and finally I got one back saying, basically, "We didn't expect to have to set up as many as we do. We were going in alphabetical order but because you whined about it so much yours is good to go now. Thanks."

So, keep persistent, brother.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Just keep contacting them.

When I was in dorms, I did the application to the IT desk about getting it all hooked up/allowed for me to play, and they said it'd be a day or two. Three days later, it still wasn't good to go. So I emailed them again and again(three times a day) for three days and finally I got one back saying, basically, "We didn't expect to have to set up as many as we do. We were going in alphabetical order but because you whined about it so much yours is good to go now. Thanks."

So, keep persistent, brother.
Oh I plan on it, I plan to indeed. Been going down there about twice a week the last two weeks. Looks like I need to step it up to at least ten times a week.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:41 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Man do I feel lucky...ours was completely automated. Put the MAC address in the web form and boom, done.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Man do I feel lucky...ours was completely automated. Put the MAC address in the web form and boom, done.
I have this problem with Hamline every year. This year has been the worst but it took a couple weeks last year and only a few days my first year. What pisses me off about this year is that unlike previous years, I have to give them my port numbers so they can activate them, not just give them my PS3 MAC Address. I think they entered my MAC Address two weeks ago, but it's the ports not giving out any internet that is the problem. And setting it up wireless isn't an option unfortunately.

Old
09-25-2013, 07:38 AM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
At UND all you really have to do is contact them(like I said) and they increase bandwidth going to the Ethernet port in your room. If you don't, you can still play but you'll likely be lagging often and might not have the most reliable connection on P2P/non-dedicated server games.

At least, that was the way in Walsh Hall that semester in 2011. It could be changed now.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

At NDSU all you did was register your console and you were good to roll.

Old
09-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Only time I lived in a dorm was in Kotka last year. We didn't have an internet connection there. I mean, there were Ethernet plugs on the wall but they didn't have an active connection. Everyone used a 3G stick instead, while I ordered an internet connection to my dorm room from a local ISP, who couldn't get it working at all. Only then I switched over to the 3G.

Closed Thread