HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adam Larsson evaluation

Old
03-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Metalownall

vCash: 500
Adam Larsson evaluation

Couldn't watch a lot of games of the Devils this season so far... But I wanna know how's his play? Is he improving?

Stats wize he has good +/- but not a lot of points but it doesn't look like he has a lot of PP icetime either.

Your thoughts?

Metalownall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Solid, more consistent than last year.

The coaches still haven't let him "free" yet though. That will probably come next year.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Metalownall

Good to hear !! I love this player

Old
03-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Devils731

Larsson's mental game, decision making, and angles are much improved. His footwork and speed in decision making need to really improve. His general positioning still needs a little work too.

Once his footwork gets better I think he will start to be an impact player.

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:30 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

The coaching staff want to improve his defensive side of the game, so he's getting big PK minutes and a shutdown role at ES.

He's developing nicely. Still makes the occasional boneheaded mistake, but in general he plays like a veteran.

The one thing I will say is that he seems to favor the safe play now instead of taking risks. I'm not sure if this is because the role he's playing or because he's scared he'll be scratched if he makes a mistake, but sometimes he plays TOO cautious.

But he's got all the tools to be a special player. He's developing as expected, slow and steady. Hopefully once he earns DeBoer's trust on the defensive side of the puck, he'll be allowed a little more leeway when it comes to moving the puck and creating offense.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Essentially what everyone has already said about him, developing nicely and has taken great strides in his defensive game. I think that the coaching staff saw the defense situation and thought this year was a perfect year to let Larsson focus on the defensive side of the game. With Zidlicky in his final year of his contract, they'd want to go with the experienced hand on the PP (and Harrold has played nicely on the PP as well). So this was the perfect year for Larsson to fine tune his defensive play before stepping into a more offensive role in the upcoming years, possibly even next year.

There were two great articles on him on NHL.com the other day. I can't find them now but if you're really curious it may be worth the effort to find them.

Cheddabombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
NJDevilsFan21

He's gone from a rookie looking like he lacked confidence with some shaky play to a steady reliable player. Step one of the development phase done!

NJDevilsFan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
VaxjoDevil

He still has a young man's body that is still growing kind of. Skating looks awkward at times. I'm excited about his future though.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:04 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
Essentially what everyone has already said about him, developing nicely and has taken great strides in his defensive game. I think that the coaching staff saw the defense situation and thought this year was a perfect year to let Larsson focus on the defensive side of the game. With Zidlicky in his final year of his contract, they'd want to go with the experienced hand on the PP (and Harrold has played nicely on the PP as well). So this was the perfect year for Larsson to fine tune his defensive play before stepping into a more offensive role in the upcoming years, possibly even next year.

There were two great articles on him on NHL.com the other day. I can't find them now but if you're really curious it may be worth the effort to find them.
3 seconds on google

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661300

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661299

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Metalownall

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
Wow thanks a lot !! If he as a development curve similar to Hedman's I'll be plenty satisfied

Old
03-24-2013, 01:15 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Honestly the development to a defensive defenseman is a bit concerning. We need a PP QB for when Zids goes away. Though it'd be nice to have a well rounded dman, I think we're stunting his offensive growth.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Honestly the development to a defensive defenseman is a bit concerning. We need a PP QB for when Zids goes away. Though it'd be nice to have a well rounded dman, I think we're stunting his offensive growth.
Technically they have Gelinas and Merrill in the system, I think both or at least Gelinas can be PP QB's. And if you wanted Larsson on the PP well you're gonna get your wish, there's nobody else left to man the point on the second unit since they have to replace 'two' point spots (with Kovy no longer around to play the full PP). Unless they let Zidlicky play the entire two minutes on the point the way Kovy did.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

He's learning to be responsible defensively, not turning into a defensive defence-man IMO. He's producing at ES, especially compared to his teammates. He's very young, Adam's going to be an all-around defence-man step by step.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:28 PM
GoDevs9

He has improved a lot. He doesn't make many of those "rookie" mistakes any more.

GoDevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Also, with Ilya out for probably a month, Adam will definitely get some PP time now. And he will make a ton of mistakes learn a lot.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:31 PM
HenriquesJawLine

He's been very good, a lot of fans expected him to be Niedermayer offensively right away though which is crazy

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Also, with Ilya out for probably a month, Adam will definitely get some PP time now. And he will make a ton of mistakes learn a lot.
Larsson might, but he might not. Zids, Harrold, Greene, Tallinder, and Fayne all could arguable be ahead of Larsson. I think the places Larsson are still weaker in really hurt his effectiveness on the PP.

One place Larsson is under performing this year is getting shots on goal. I know he likes to pass the puck from the point for deflections, but averaging under 0.5 shots a game is still not cutting it. This is part of his slower decision making, by the time he gets set and decides on things the shooting lane is gone.

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
Well time is money. I'm not sure how much 3 seconds equates to but still

Cheddabombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Devils86

I know I'm in the minority but I dont see the offensive upside you need from such a high pick. By now you should at least see flashes, I know the system "Holds him back" by he doesnt skate or shoot well enough to be a O threat. He still gets coned a little too often but that will change, IMO he develops into a good to very good D type D-Man. There is nothing wrong with that its just not the player most thought we drafted.

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
hes 20 and hasnt played 100 games yet. we need more time to knwo what he will be.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
hes 20 and hasnt played 100 games yet. we need more time to knwo what he will be.
You saw it year one in Karlsson,,You can see it in Dougie Hamilton, maybe it wil develop but he will need to skate a hell of alot better if it does

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:51 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

His defensive play is IMO stellar right now. He still makes a few mistakes here and there, but they are becoming more and more infrequent as he gets more NHL experience.

His biggest asset is his stick play. It's becoming his patented play. Speedy winger enters the zone, Larsson will use his body to force the winger to the outside. Winger will try to use their speed to go around Larsson and cut to the net, but Larsson will make a great play with his stick to knock the puck away and end the scoring chance. He's also getting really good at anticipating breakout passes from deep in the zone.

His offense still needs work, though as others have said.. Devils have been focusing more on his defense at the moment. A good move IMO.. he has all the tools to be a top defensemen on both sides of the ice, but we will want him to be rooted more in defense than offense. He has good vision but his shot is less than appealing and he definitely needs more practice before he's given a PP point.

I'm still ecstatic with the pick. His draft-mates who were in the NHL last year have all taken steps back this year while Larsson seems to have taken a major leap forward IMO. From a rookie who showed flashes but was at times overwhelmed to a sophomore who is becoming more and more consistent.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
NJDEVIL

less mistakes but still under developed and did not gain enough size in off season, fails to recognize any sense of urgency.

considering we have enough defensemen the only reason he's playing is so we don;t lose him in free agency as he was a first round pick, considering they didn;t give him a signing bonus as th erest of the 1st rounder who started got one. I highly feel this is the only reason he is playing, although they recognize he should be down in ALbany.

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:53 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
I know I'm in the minority but I dont see the offensive upside you need from such a high pick. By now you should at least see flashes, I know the system "Holds him back" by he doesnt skate or shoot well enough to be a O threat. He still gets coned a little too often but that will change, IMO he develops into a good to very good D type D-Man. There is nothing wrong with that its just not the player most thought we drafted.
He had a much longer leash last year. He skated extremely well and jumped in the play effectively until he got broke by Subban. Not sure where you're not seeing the flashes. His first NHL goal was a snipe, his goal in the playoffs was also a snipe. He can shoot on net with bounce passes off the wall and with accuracy.

One knock on him is he does look a bit timid, and trying not to make mistakes.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:57 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
less mistakes but still under developed and did not gain enough size in off season, fails to recognize any sense of urgency.

considering we have enough defensemen the only reason he's playing is so we don;t lose him in free agency as he was a first round pick, considering they didn;t give him a signing bonus as th erest of the 1st rounder who started got one. I highly feel this is the only reason he is playing, although they recognize he should be down in ALbany.

Not only is your post just.. wrong, it's also factually incorrect. Rookies don't get signing bonuses, they get performance bonuses. Larsson didn't get any, but that doesn't mean he was underpaid relative to his peers.. as many of them likely didn't even hit their performance bonuses.

Larsson deserves to be in this line-up so much so that a pretty good defensemen in Fayne is riding the pine.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote