HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#32 – Sabres at Canadiens – Sat Mar 23 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM

Old
03-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Canadiens Montrιal ‏@CanadiensMTL
Canadiens today claimed forward Jeff Halpern off NHL waivers (from NY Rangers).
12:12 PM - 23 Mar 13

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:23 PM
sjci

vCash: 271
Quote:
Per Sabres Twitter Account:
Vanek & Gerbe back in tonight; Stafford & Scott join Sekera as scratches
Wow, Stafford has really fallen out of favor. I'm certain now he'll be playing in his final games as a Sabre and will be traded sometime between now and the deadline.

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
Vanek & Gerbe back in tonight; Stafford & Scott join Sekera as scratches
Is it a sign? Dare I hope that a trade is coming?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Ron is showing some balls, damn!

Stafford deserved to be scratched, despite some sticking up for him because of what he's done in the past, he's been God awful this season and should be riding the pine.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
"Craigs on it"

Makes you wonder if will get back more than just another overpaid underachiever.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:30 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Nothing like sitting a guy and using him poorly when he does play to help his trade value. I know he's looked bad but this is pointing directly to the Sabres trading him for 50 cents on the dollar.

thefifagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Nothing like sitting a guy and using him poorly when he does play to help his trade value.
How should he be used? He started off in a top 6 role and did nothing.

Organization is trying to win games right now because they think they can still make the playoffs, and Stafford right now is providing nothing to the team.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:41 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post

Organization is trying to win games right now because they think they can still make the playoffs, and Stafford right now is providing nothing to the team.
The organization doesnt believe they can make the playoffs..

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:45 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post

It's not just about being in the top 6, he's a guy who has killed lesser competition in the past and they've forced him into a role he's not good in. There's no reason he shouldn't be on the power play (his numbers look awful because he's been on the PP2 all season, no chance to get the Vanek boost) and he shouldn't be sitting over Gerbe, the worst possession player on the team while having 6 points in 25 games.

thefifagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Stafford hate is pretty whack.

He hasn't played all that bad. The problem is he isn't producing..due to the fact that his shooting % is at like 5%.

Playing him with crappy players or sitting him isnt going to change that.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Wisent42

Besides, I think Enroth should start tonight. He's been good in his last games, including last time they met Montreal. Miller, on the other hand, did not have a good game against Toronto.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:52 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Doubt the Stafford scratch is because of his play. I think there's a trade coming down the pipeline and don't want him playing tonight.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Doubt the Stafford scratch is because of his play. I think there's a trade coming down the pipeline and don't want him playing tonight.
Seems odd to announce a scratch then. If there is a trade coming, they have plenty of time to make a trade before the game starts. I think he really is just scratched, which doesn't bode well for his already plummeting trade value.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Woodhouse

Note: OP Additions - A/V

3.23 – Michel Therrien speaks with the media following Montreal's morning skate. <4:49>

at 1m35s.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
boots electric

Has "player x was announced as a healthy scratch" EVER legitimately tipped off a trade before? People talk about this all the time and it never bears fruit.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:02 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
It's not just about being in the top 6, he's a guy who has killed lesser competition in the past and they've forced him into a role he's not good in. There's no reason he shouldn't be on the power play (his numbers look awful because he's been on the PP2 all season, no chance to get the Vanek boost) and he shouldn't be sitting over Gerbe, the worst possession player on the team while having 6 points in 25 games.
What?

He's been bad all season long and its landed him on the 4th line the last few weeks. Something that has happened to him a few times in the past. He's almost always responded very well and surges back to the top 6 within a few games. That hasn't happened this time. The idea that he was "forced" there implies some level of unfairness to him which is ridiculous.

Stafford is on the PP and was on the top PP unit at times to start the season and did nothing. As an aside I've been amazed at how being away from Vanek and playing on the 2nd PP seems to be an reason for many fans to excuse away players lack of production on the PP. Stafford is 7th in total PP ice time on the team and has averaged 2:04 a game on the PP. He has 1 assist to show for it. How he doesn't get a good chunk of the blame for that is beyond me. Hell, Leino already has 1 PP assist in 4 games played.

EDIT: I also think Stafford's value is already set. I think posters place too much impact on moves like this (sitting Stafford) on a players trade value. If someone wanted Stafford its going to be based on his track record as a player, not sitting one game. Its not like another GM is going to say, "well we were going to give you x,y and z for Stafford but he sat yesterday so now you just get x and y."

Last edited by joshjull: 03-23-2013 at 01:16 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:05 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
I think they just want Gerbe in the lineup from time to time so they can shop him.

EDIT: I'm not saying Stafford is or isn't on the trade block. I just think this particular move is just about getting Gerbe in the lineup. Stafford would have been back on the 4th line with Vanek back. So sitting Stafford is exchanging one 4th liner for another.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Helen Eller81
Rookie User

3-0 habs. Empty net goal.

Helen Eller81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
The Washer

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130329590/1104

Dont recall ever being this pissd off after reading a Sabres article. Is Pomms fkn for real??? Never his fault, always someone else's....Me Me Me. Embarrassment of a Captain. Officially replaces Staff as the 1st one I want to see off this team.

"“It’s bugging you when you lose,” he said Friday. “Losing sucks a lot of energy out of you. You’re trying to figure out what to do, but at the same time I don’t think my play had varied at all. I think I was still doing things that led to me to get points."

"“I wasn’t scoring when I had chances. Guys weren’t scoring when I made plays."

- Come down off your high horse Pomm. Cody can say this multiple times a game too.

"“A lot of times I’m the furthest guy from the net on the power play,” he said. “It’s tough when you see other guys score from within 5 feet and you’re all the way back, but if that’s an area I can help the team, I’m fine with scoring less and being up top and doing whatever I can to help out.”

"“At times it’s been a little bit frustrating where you’re all the way back on the blue line and if things aren’t going your way you can’t get that rebound and you can’t get anything around the net, no action. But again, whatever I can do to help, that’s where I am, and I’ve got to figure it out.”

- Can someone post the audio of this full on man cry. WTF, its all woe is me. I cant score from there and have to watch as everyone scores from my old spot??? Its one thing to think it, its another to actually say it out loud. This is our Captain?? Fock me.

And that folks is how the "Old Core" thinks. Staff was just crying about being last on the depth charts when RR took over. Old core is nothing but a bunch of stat chasing, me me me, whiny prima donnas.

Pomms can GTFO!!

Last edited by The Washer: 03-23-2013 at 01:37 PM.
The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Woodhouse

Note: OP Additions - A/V

3.23 – Ron Rolston speaks with the media following Buffalo's morning skate. <3:16>

3.23 – Drew Stafford speaks with the media following Buffalo's morning skate. <2:11>

Old
03-23-2013, 01:21 PM
The Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Seems odd to announce a scratch then. If there is a trade coming, they have plenty of time to make a trade before the game starts. I think he really is just scratched, which doesn't bode well for his already plummeting trade value.
Rollz is officially my hero!! Never thought I would see the day. Love this guy.

The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Can we gave Stafford's A to Ott now?

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
And Pommer's C while we're at it. Heck, let's give him all the letters. Welcome to the NHL's first CAA. His new catch phrase can be, "Steve Ott ain't got time for assistants!"

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:40 PM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I would not be at all surprised.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:50 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

I was not a believer, but get 5 points out of the 6 on the road, then we have 10 of 14 at home to end the season.

Its possible. I really like the balance of the team right now also.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote