HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins show preference for NCAA talent

Old
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
HF Article

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh Penguins show preference for NCAA talent

With a front office and coaching staff made up almost entirely of former NCAA hockey players, it should come as no surprise that the Pittsburgh Penguins love to draft and develop collegiate level talent. However, there are also pragmatic reasons as to why Penguins draft collegiate bound players. The biggest reason is because NHL teams are afforded two more years with NCAA players before they have to make a decision regarding whether or not they will sign the player to an entry-level contract. That extra development time is crucial for a team like the Penguins, who rely heavily on mid-to-late round draft picks to keep their cupboard stocked.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Crosbyfan

Correct me if I am wrong but does this not give them a better part of their career at a better price/cap hit? (assuming their development is similar, they would retain them when older and more developed, at entry salary, and before rfa and ufa status kicked in)

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but does this not give them a better part of their career at a better price/cap hit? (assuming their development is similar, they would retain them when older and more developed, at entry salary, and before rfa and ufa status kicked in)
In theory, sure. But it's rare that a player in NCAA has stepped into the NHL and made a big impact. Most still need a year or two in the minors.

04-10-2013, 07:09 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
In theory, sure. But it's rare that a player in NCAA has stepped into the NHL and made a big impact. Most still need a year or two in the minors.
true, but that usually is the case for any young player, either major junior or NCAA...

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote