HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Around the NHL - IV

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Sid also plays in a pretty bad division.
?? Even though the Atlantic is weaker this year by usual standards, it's still miles ahead of the SE and still one of the toughest in hockey. Last year it was the toughest by a decent margin.

The re-aligned version will be again next year most likely, as we get the best team from the SE and a CBJ team that's turned things around in a hurry since getting a new GM. Meanwhile the NE teams get doormats FLA and TB (although both are likely to suck less next year). Carolina sort of a wildcard. If they shore up their D this summer they could be tough again pretty quick, if they only make minor moves they'll be mediocre at best, even with a healthy Ward. Philly will make moves, NJ will make moves, Rangers will make efforts to keep important new guys, etc. I expect it will be really tough.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Marcus Halberstram*

Quote:
If he stays hot and ends up with around 30 goals and they win the division i think you can make a pretty good argument for him. I dont think they factor in strength of division when deciding on Hart trophy, Sid also plays in a pretty bad division.
Maybe "an" argument can be made, but not a "pretty good argument." In a shortnened season, showing up and playing a good stretch of 10-15 games would be an absolute joke and travesty if he sniffs a Hart trophy nomination, let alone wins it.

As for the Atlantic, even at it's worst like this year, is still better and more competitive than the Southeast.

Sid, Kane, Stamkos, and Bobrosky, are all more worthy noms than Ovie based on their consistency during the entire year so far.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:31 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

The Rangers, Flyers, & Devils are all usually competing for a cup. They have some off years like the Devils did a couple years ago & the Flyers this year but for the most part this is one of the toughest divisions in hockey.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Halberstram View Post
Maybe "an" argument can be made, but not a "pretty good argument." In a shortnened season, showing up and playing a good stretch of 10-15 games would be an absolute joke and travesty if he sniffs a Hart trophy nomination, let alone wins it.

As for the Atlantic, even at it's worst like this year, is still better and more competitive than the Southeast.

Sid, Kane, Stamkos, and Bobrosky, are all more worthy noms than Ovie based on their consistency during the entire year so far.
If Sid doesn't win it, its because Kane or Ovi do imo. If Ovie can keep this up and get his team into a playoff spot, he deserves it over Stamkos. And Bobrovsky is a goalie. Goalies need to be out of this world good to sniff the Hart.

I expect it goes to either Sid or Kane though.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:54 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

lol @ the idea that the Atlantic is a weak division.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:10 PM
cheesedanish87

When i was talking about the Atlantic Division being weak i was talking about this year only, This is how i would rank the divisions right now

1. Central
2. Northeast
3. Pacific
4. Atlantic
5. Northwest
6. Southeast

Old
04-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
When i was talking about the Atlantic Division being weak i was talking about this year only, This is how i would rank the divisions right now

1. Central
2. Northeast
3. Pacific
4. Atlantic
5. Northwest
6. Southeast
Well if we are just talking about this year only, then the Central definitely should not be number one. Only Chicago is having a good season by individual standards.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:

1. Central
2. Northeast
3. Pacific
4. Atlantic
5. Northwest
6. Southeast
The Atlantic has 4 of its 5 teams above .500 right now. The fifth team, Philly, is only 1 game under .500.

The Central, Northeast, and Pacific all have 4 of their 5 teams above .500 right now. The Pacific's fifth team is right on .500 right now, with the Central and Northeast's final team being under .500. If anything, the Pacific is the toughest division in hockey with 3 out of its 5 teams having strong records.

In any case, the Atlantic is not "weak". It may not currently be the best division in the league, but that hardly makes it weak.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Shockmaster

The Central isn't much better if at all than the Atlantic right now. The Northeast is probably the best division right now.

Here's how I would rank them:

1. Northeast
2. Pacific
3. Atlantic
4. Central
5. Northwest
6. Southeast

Old
04-07-2013, 05:27 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Maybe it is just me, but I don't care about these regular season awards. There is a bigger picture out there. Plus divisions change plenty from year to year. The Atlantic has had a good run, but that in no way means it would last. Things can change over night.

Also, SJ was up 2-0, then tied at two. They went up 4-2, now tied at 4

Old
04-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
The San Jose-Dallas game was crazy. Although Galliardi had a nice goal.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:54 PM
titaniumexpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
The Central isn't much better if at all than the Atlantic right now. The Northeast is probably the best division right now.

Here's how I would rank them:

1. Northeast
2. Pacific
3. Atlantic
4. Central
5. Northwest
6. Southeast
Yeah, I like those rankings. I'm not really impressed with a lot of the Western teams, and I'm not sold on them being better than the East in general. With that said, there's still 3 weeks to go and this year's Cinderella(s) has/have yet to be revealed. Personally I'm rooting for CBJ while I can this year; next season will obviously be a different story.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

And SJ loses. Not good for them considering they had a 2 goal lead twice. Also not good for several other Western teams jumbled as Dallas gets 2 pts

Old
04-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumexpose View Post
Yeah, I like those rankings. I'm not really impressed with a lot of the Western teams, and I'm not sold on them being better than the East in general. With that said, there's still 3 weeks to go and this year's Cinderella(s) has/have yet to be revealed. Personally I'm rooting for CBJ while I can this year; next season will obviously be a different story.
Yeah, I have to agree with that. IMO the whole "West is superior to the East" is totally overblown. So is the West being superior defensively, for that matter. 5 of the top 10 teams in the league in GA/G are in the East and 3 of the top 5. I think the West gets a slight edge defensively because there are more Eastern teams in the bottom 10, but the idea that the West is some kind of defensive juggernaut and the East doesn't even bother playing D is absurd. But then the West doesn't have nearly the offensive firepower the East does.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Conacher gets his first Ottawa goal.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Buffalo & NJ tied at 1

Old
04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Conacher gets his first Ottawa goal.
That Ottawa/Florida game is so incredibly boring to watch as a neutral fan with such little star power in either lineup due to injuries.

I admit I'm an offense and skill kind of guy. So unless the Pens are playing (in which just rooting for them is enough to overcome the game if it's boring), I only enjoy watching games when skill is being showcased.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Al Smith

Sens down to Panthers. Like their team and their future, but they really stink on the road.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
Sens down to Panthers. Like their team and their future, but they really stink on the road.
Not me. I never had anything against them even after they bounced the Pens from the playoffs a few years ago but after their reaction to Karlsson's accidental injury this season they can all **** off. From the owner right down through the fans.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Not me. I never had anything against them even after they bounced the Pens from the playoffs a few years ago but after their reaction to Karlsson's accidental injury this season they can all **** off. From the owner right down through the fans.
Better watch what you say. Melnyk's CSI team will be gunning for you next. Hope you haven't left any DNA evidence laying around.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Al Smith

Quote:
Meh. It's just talk. I'm getting too old to care about much other than watching the games. Of course, Pens' fans are above accusing anyone of intentionally injuring one of their stars.

Is that a new lid for Clemmensen? I don't remember seeing that the last time I saw them play.

Hmmm. Should the Sens have just given Panthers the puck? Oops. As I type, color man says yes.,,

Last edited by Al Smith: 04-07-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Meh. It's just talk. I'm getting too old to care about much other than watching the games. Of course, Pens' fans are above accusing anyone of intentionally injuring one of their stars.
My objection is less to the fans and more to the GM and ownership acting like toddlers with a broken toy. I mean, hiring forensic investigators? Is this what we're doing now?

Not sure why that last shot was necessary but actually, when Malkin got concussed this season most people just said "eh, clean hit and he just lost an edge in a bad place." Most people think that the MDZ hit on Neal the other night was dumb and unfortunate but not dirty. There is some level of rational discussion in general and not just CALL IN THE CSI.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Is that a new lid for Clemmenson? I don't remember seeing that the last time I saw them play.
Debuted in February

Old
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Al Smith

Quote:
My objection is less to the fans and more to the GM and ownership acting like toddlers with a broken toy. I mean, hiring forensic investigators? Is this what we're doing now?

Not sure why that last shot was necessary but actually, when Malkin got concussed this season most people just said "eh, clean hit and he just lost an edge in a bad place." Most people think that the MDZ hit on Neal the other night was dumb and unfortunate but not dirty.
I was thinking more about Sid/Steckel and a little about MDZ/Neal. Agree about Malkin.

Melnyk is a dufus at best, and he made his fortune with some really shady dealings, also at best. Doesn't change the fact that they've got a pretty good team, with alot of skilled young players.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

Quote:
I was thinking more about Sid/Steckel and a little about MDZ/Neal. Agree about Malkin.
When the Steckel hit first happened, I'm sure a lot were ready to lynch him. But I don't think anyone carried the grudge for as long as Melnyk seems to with Cooke on Karlsson.

Closed Thread