HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nabokov is so overrated...

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Satan'sIsland81

vCash: 500
Nabokov is so overrated...

...on this board. I am sorry, I realize we have no other better option at this point, but there are far too many people on this board that act like he is having a good season when he flat out is not. Last night is a perfect indicator of that. When do you see Nabokov do what Vokoun did last night, see his team get out shot 13-1 in the first 15 minutes of the game, make one unbelievable save after another to keep his team in it and end up winning the game?

Another very telling stat: when we score two goals in a game we are 1-11-2. A team like ours needs its goalie once in awhile to come through with a huge game and allow one goal on a night when the offense scores two to get the win. The fact is unless this team scores 3 or 4 goals at least, they have no chance to win. That is usually a sign that your goalie is not doing his job and look at Nabokov's numbers, they are not impressive.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:04 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
If Nabokov is allowed to hit free agency, does anyone think that any other team would view him as a bona fide #1 goalie?

Particularly given the buyers market in goal this coming offseason, even if we re-sign Nabakov I'd hope we bring in another goalie that's qualified to start. (Yeah, I know, unlikely.)

Old
03-23-2013, 01:12 PM
OlTimeHockey

Ever think a goalie might get worn down with a Streit-Hamonic-MacDonald trio playing bad all year, with Finley and Hickey and Viz being only adequate in their own zone as well and the Isles forwards being unable to backcheck most nights?

Yeah, you give up more goals when your defense is bad and the team stops playing after the second intermission.

Nabby early in the year was much better. This **** has to wear on a player. Even Nabby. Find a good coach and a GM to do it and Nabby as well as most players here right now play much, much better.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Lmao why do I come on this board and read half the crap you people post????

Nabokov is on the top 20 list of most goalie wins in NHL history. At the same time he has been the most solid goalie we have had since Chris Osgood. Better question - is Travis Hamonic overrated??!

Or

How about the fact that Hickey and Finley, Streit and Amac, are his defenders.

Sure lets post a thread and blame Moulson and Nabby.. SMH

Old
03-23-2013, 01:28 PM
JTforPres2012

Nabakov has hands-down kept this team in games they have no business being in. Did you not see Poulin the other night who was just downright bad?

I do think it's a problem that he'll make 10 great saves then let in a softie, but still, Nabby should be the least of this teams' worries.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:31 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

Nabokov is on the top 20 list of most goalie wins in NHL history. At the same time he has been the most solid goalie we have had since Chris Osgood. Better question - is Travis Hamonic overrated??!

Or

Oh, Osgood sucked, too. Forgot that one.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:32 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Nabakov has hands-down kept this team in games they have no business being in. Did you not see Poulin the other night who was just downright bad?

I do think it's a problem that he'll make 10 great saves then let in a softie, but still, Nabby should be the least of this teams' worries.
goalie make game easy for defense, not other way around. Ya.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:36 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Ever think a goalie might get worn down with a Streit-Hamonic-MacDonald trio playing bad all year, with Finley and Hickey and Viz being only adequate in their own zone as well and the Isles forwards being unable to backcheck most nights?

Yeah, you give up more goals when your defense is bad and the team stops playing after the second intermission.

Nabby early in the year was much better. This **** has to wear on a player. Even Nabby. Find a good coach and a GM to do it and Nabby as well as most players here right now play much, much better.
No nabby was not better earlier in tje season. He lets in to many bad goals. You cant give up bad goals everygame and ezpect to win..

He can stay mext year but we need another goalie that can play 40 games or more. Snow has failed this org when it comes to goaltending

Old
03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

Or

Nabakov has had an amazing career. But it's not fair to pretend he's that guy any more. Before we got him, he had already retired to the KHL once. We claimed him off waivers when he was planning to join the Red Wings as a backup to Jimmy Howard. Nabakov may love Long Island now, but he's still here because he agreed to sign a one year extension worth $2.75 million — well below market value for an above average starter. Even if he did love this place, do you really think he would have signed at that number if he thought the rest of the league viewed him as a capable starter?

Also, DiPietro's 2006-2007 season at the very least equaled Osgood's year here.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

The fact that Nabakov doesn't give up 7 goals a night in front of our broken defense and inept forwards in the defensive zone is practically a miracle. If anything I think he is underrated because the stats don't show that he has to work that much harder to give up only 2 or 3 goals most games.

There are quite a few games this season that the Islanders won solely because of Nabakov's play in net.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

At this point in his career he is a slightly above average goalie, nothing less and nothing more.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBarnabysTears View Post
Nabakov has had an amazing career. But it's not fair to pretend he's that guy any more. Before we got him, he had already retired to the KHL once. We claimed him off waivers when he was planning to join the Red Wings as a backup to Jimmy Howard. Nabakov may love Long Island now, but he's still here because he agreed to sign a one year extension worth $2.75 million — well below market value for an above average starter. Even if he did love this place, do you really think he would have signed at that number if he thought the rest of the league viewed him as a capable starter?

Also, DiPietro's 2006-2007 season at the very least equaled Osgood's year here.
Rick's stats? Or are you talking how he played in net? I never saw a goalie get bailed out more by his defenseman than Rick, and that includes his one good to great year.

Salary? Nabby's salary is great. Are we gonna use salary as a barometer of quality? We should've claimed Redden.

The players either fit right and are well coached or you have what the Isles have.....a thrown together motley crew which has weaknesses to sink any positives. I fully believe the defensemen we have right now are capable of much, much more, but we have Capuano. Our forwards are weak because....we have Snow. Look at all the young guys we have who show time and again flashes every year of very good play but have NEVER had quality vets on their lines to help them grow. The only guy who hasn't needed someone to elevate his play has been our one shot at a franchise quality player. The rest do well.....and horrible.....depending on the game.

You get a new coach and a GM to ACT!!! and you have a much better team. And goalie. And defense. And backchecking. And forechecking. And complete effort.

Take 2/3 of the roster and imagine them playing in St.Louis, or Philly, or Boston. Even NYR. Four varying gameplans. I think they shine elsewhere.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:06 PM
13th Floor

Nabby is 13-10-3. Which is good enough for a playoff spot if our backups were pretty much anything better than 0-5-0.

He is an above 500 goalie, which is pretty accurate for him -- which is good enough right now. Nobody is claiming he should be All Star. He has done fine in front of this defense.

Do I wish a couple soft goals wouldn't have went in? Or he was able to steal 1 or 2 more games? Of course. But on the list of things I'm wishing for as an Islander fan, this is very low on the list. Somewhere near wishing we could get Deb Kaufman back and wishing our goal song would change.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Nabby is 13-10-3. Which is good enough for a playoff spot if our backups were pretty much anything better than 0-5-0.

He is an above 500 goalie, which is pretty accurate for him -- which is good enough right now. Nobody is claiming he should be All Star. He has done fine in front of this defense.

Do I wish a couple soft goals wouldn't have went in? Or he was able to steal 1 or 2 more games? Of course. But on the list of things I'm wishing for as an Islander fan, this is very low on the list. Somewhere near wishing we could get Deb Kaufman back and wishing our goal song would change.
No way. A goalie should be top priority for this team followed by a top end d. We have the worst GAA in the league and goalie isnt an issue? Hes 37. If he leaves we have Poulin. Things are bad in the iales net. A couple soft goals? Its one a game.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
No way. A goalie should be top priority for this team followed by a top end d. We have the worst GAA in the league and goalie isnt an issue? Hes 37. If he leaves we have Poulin. Things are bad in the iales net. A couple soft goals? Its one a game.
You put Tretiak back there with our defensive game, our forwards afraid to hit or check, our defense scrambling and not using the body....he'll do great.

If you ignore the fact that Nabby has a lot of extra work to do because of the team in front and only consider the stats and focus on one bad goal a game, ignore the mental factor of having to work 110 percent each and every game just to compete....yeah, Nabby's bad.

Any goalie is. Focus on the mole, ignore the cancer beneath.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:45 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
You are misinterpreting the thread. The thread was in the context of this year -- reread the OP. I never mentioned that moving forward a goalie isn't a big concern and a top priority. We have other threads for that.

This thread was complaining about Nabokov's play this year, and how it was overrated by many on this board, implying that if we had someone else in goal, we would be a far better team. Within the context of THIS year, I think he has been fine. As I said, his record is good enough for the playoffs. In comparison to the other glaring holes THIS YEAR, he is very low on the list.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
At this point in his career he is a slightly above average goalie, nothing less and nothing more.
Exactly!

Old
03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
NYI JT91

Wow. Can't believe I saw this thread lol Nabokov is the reason we sit just 3 points out of the playoffs..he has given us a chance to win just about every night. Honestly, Nabby is underrated...his stats aren't great because of this team and the league leading (I believe) shots against per game we give up. We should be happy he hasn't demanded a trade and is actually considering staying on board next year. Talk about nitpicking and over reacting

Old
03-23-2013, 03:12 PM
duster19

Quote:
You put Tretiak back there with our defensive game, our forwards afraid to hit or check, our defense scrambling and not using the body....he'll do great.

If you ignore the fact that Nabby has a lot of extra work to do because of the team in front and only consider the stats and focus on one bad goal a game, ignore the mental factor of having to work 110 percent each and every game just to compete....yeah, Nabby's bad.

Any goalie is. Focus on the mole, ignore the cancer beneath.
One bad goal a game is the difference between a good team and a bad team. Forwards and D have nothing to do with shots that should be stopped. Nabby was just out played by Pitts back up. You cant give up bad goals and expect to win. The fact we are even debating this is a joke. The isles need a goalie, badly.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:15 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
One bad goal a game is the difference between a good team and a bad team. Forwards and D have nothing to do with shots that should be stopped. Nabby was just out played by Pitts back up. You cant give up bad goals and expect to win. The fact we are even debating this is a joke. The isles need a goalie, badly.
conversation over.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:17 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
You are misinterpreting the thread. The thread was in the context of this year -- reread the OP. I never mentioned that moving forward a goalie isn't a big concern and a top priority. We have other threads for that.

This thread was complaining about Nabokov's play this year, and how it was overrated by many on this board, implying that if we had someone else in goal, we would be a far better team. Within the context of THIS year, I think he has been fine. As I said, his record is good enough for the playoffs. In comparison to the other glaring holes THIS YEAR, he is very low on the list.

So, we have the worst goals against but its not the goalies fault? Thats crap. Nabby has been avg this yr. He has struggled with bad goals all yr. What do you want? A rw for JT? That will reduce the GAA alot. If Nabby was playing fantastic, this team would be a playoff team. Obviously our d is bad, but they dont account for high slot wrist shots going in.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:21 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
Wow. Can't believe I saw this thread lol Nabokov is the reason we sit just 3 points out of the playoffs..he has given us a chance to win just about every night. Honestly, Nabby is underrated...his stats aren't great because of this team and the league leading (I believe) shots against per game we give up. We should be happy he hasn't demanded a trade and is actually considering staying on board next year. Talk about nitpicking and over reacting
Unless im reading it wrong, nhl.com has them 18th overall. The isles outshoot a lot of teams...

Old
03-23-2013, 03:21 PM
DktrFaustus

i can't even with this thread. nabby is a workhorse and, outside of the tavares, is the only reason why we can have the term "playoff contender" in our vernacular. you have to be insane to blame a world-class goaltender like nabokov.

fingers pointing in all the wrong directions here lately.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:29 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
So, we have the worst goals against but its not the goalies fault? Thats crap. Nabby has been avg this yr. He has struggled with bad goals all yr. What do you want? A rw for JT? That will reduce the GAA alot. If Nabby was playing fantastic, this team would be a playoff team. Obviously our d is bad, but they dont account for high slot wrist shots going in.
it's ALL the goalie's fault. Do you see how often Nabby gives the puck away? And how he always misses his checks along the blueline? Or the bad clears. Nabby has to go.

No, I want a paramilitary unit to break down his door and eliminate him. Nabby not making a trade for defense with Strait going down was the last straw. I thought Nabby was bad enough in Benghazi, but it's getting to be too much.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Rick's stats? Or are you talking how he played in net? I never saw a goalie get bailed out more by his defenseman than Rick, and that includes his one good to great year.
haha that is a laugh, Rick was the best Goalie the Isles had in a long time, perhaps he could have been the best goalie the Isles ever had

Closed Thread