HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Best Rock band 2000-05 (dead puck era)

Old
03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I didn't include Foo Fighters because their music is on the whole, bland and uninspired. One By One and In Your Honor are good examples of that, there's 3 or 4 decent songs on each and outwith that it all sounds the same.

Forgot about Jimmy Eat World though, Bleed American and Futures is a good double for this timeframe.
Oh, OK.......

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Heyoooo*

Laughing with you on that one.

I can think of a ton of **** thats bland and uninspired.

No band is immune to that.

Kid A and Amnesiac, also, as a Radiohead fan, are two of my least favorite albums by them.

I dont like Amnesiac at all and half of Kid A is good.

The Bends, OK Computer and In Rainbows are their best albums.

Last edited by Heyoooo*: 03-25-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Muse.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
EDIT: I forgot the actual poll, it had about 30+ bands, mainly these ones that were all fairly well known:
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Muse
The Strokes
Interpol
Radiohead
The Libertines
The Hives
The Cardigans
Sigur Ros
Mew
Travis
Coldplay
Doves
Broken Social Scene
Tragically Hip
Our Lady Peace
The National
Hold Steady

Morning Glory or whatever their name is
Mars Volta
Black Keys
Wilco
QOTSA
Modest Mouse
Brand New

Spoon
The White Stripes
Death Cab for Cutie
Elbow
The Flaming Lips
I guess you can include Green Day, I like Sum 41 but I was keeping pop-punk out of the poll
and some more I forgot
Bolded are the ones id say are worthy of being on the list. There are some glaring omissions that others have already alluded to in this thread.

I have most of these bands, some of which I dont know why though.

I have their discographies but am I the only one who finds The Strokes and The White Stripes to be extremely overrated?

Old
03-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Bolded are the ones id say are worthy of being on the list. There are some glaring omissions that others have already alluded to in this thread.

I have their discographies but am I the only one who finds The Strokes and The White Stripes to be extremely overrated?
The White Stripes definitely-- I don't think they're very good at all (I consider Jack White a bit of a poser, despite having some technical playing ability). I feel the same way about The Hives/The Black Keys, though. I think Death Cab for Cutie are really really putrid, personally.

The Strokes... may not hold up compared to anyone truly amazing, but I still think that one album, Is This is It is really effective, simple and taps into something fairly memorable. I think that odd combination of bored, mundane, excitement is interesting.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:24 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
The White Stripes definitely-- I don't think they're very good at all (I consider Jack White a bit of a poser, despite having some technical playing ability). I feel the same way about The Hives/The Black Keys, though. I think Death Cab for Cutie are really really putrid, personally.

The Strokes... may not hold up compared to anyone truly amazing, but I still think that one album, Is This is It is really effective, simple and taps into something fairly memorable. I think that odd combination of bored, mundane, excitement is interesting.
This isn't an attack, just a question.. Could you explain, if you can, why you think he's a bit of a poser?

Personally, I think Radiohead is one of the most overrated bands in the last 25 years (I realize they've been around longer than that, but their first album came out in '93.) Don't get me wrong, they are good and all, but aside from OK Computer, I can do without them.

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:27 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

The White Stripes and The Killers are the ones I thought of..

Green Day material I still trace back to their first 3 albums in the 90's ( Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod )

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
This isn't an attack, just a question.. Could you explain, if you can, why you think he's a bit of a poser?

Personally, I think Radiohead is one of the most overrated bands in the last 25 years (I realize they've been around longer than that, but their first album came out in '93.) Don't get me wrong, they are good and all, but aside from OK Computer, I can do without them.
It wasn't meant to be some sort of statement. He just always leaves me that impression whenever I hear him talk or see him perform. I sort of view him as a guy with a bit of average talent, who suddenly starts thinking of himself as a big rockstar, has an idea of what one is supposed to be like, and acts accordingly. The way he is just feels really calculated, insincere, and kind of full of himself to me. I don't know how to describe that besides thinking he's a bit of a poser.

What did you think of In Rainbows? I can't comprehend someone not thinking that one's great.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:

I find Jack White to over-rated on the whole but I really enjoyed his 1st 4 albums with The White Stripes. De Stijl is probably my favorite.

The Strokes have kind of been junk lately but Is This It was a great album IMO, and I really liked Room on Fire as well.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:18 AM
nudie

Libertines
Muse
Bloc Party (released their first album, and by far best, 2005)

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Heyoooo*

I enjoy The White Stripes and The Strokes but nothing too crazy. Certainly not anything to where they are deemed to be on top 10 or best of lists.

They dont suck, but I just feel theyre not that great though.

Room on Fire is a great album though.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post

I love Radiohead and they are definitely one of my favorite bands but I can see this.

I get so sick of the untouchable **** people say about them or their God status from Pitchfork.

I consider myself a pretty big Radiohead fan, and I think Pablo, Amnesiac and TKOL are pretty **** albums.

The Bends, OK Computer and In Rainbows are their best. Kid A I find a bit overrated as well, but still enjoy half the album at least. Hail to the Thief, even Thom and Ed said, shouldve been cut down. That was their anti-Bush album circa 2003. Still good nonetheless and often overlooked.

Their ability to change their dynamic and make music so complex yet so good is certainly a great attribute, but to me not the be-all end-all.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Looking back through my record collection, I got another one:

Cave In
Jupiter (2000)
Antenna (2003)
Perfect Pitch Black (2005)

Also includes the Tides of Tomorrow EP (2002)

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I love Radiohead and they are definitely one of my favorite bands but I can see this.

I get so sick of the untouchable **** people say about them or their God status from Pitchfork.

I consider myself a pretty big Radiohead fan, and I think Pablo, Amnesiac and TKOL are pretty **** albums.

The Bends, OK Computer and In Rainbows are their best. Kid A I find a bit overrated as well, but still enjoy half the album at least. Hail to the Thief, even Thom and Ed said, shouldve been cut down. That was their anti-Bush album circa 2003. Still good nonetheless and often overlooked.

Their ability to change their dynamic and make music so complex yet so good is certainly a great attribute, but to me not the be-all end-all.
I love the middle section of Amnesiac and like it as a whole about as much as Kid A. And I'm tempted to take King of Limbs over Hail to the Thief (although There There is the best song on either).

Still though, even disregarding those, just on the strength of The Bends, OK Computer, and In Rainbows alone, they deserve to be put on a pedestal, IMO. How many bands have much more than 3+ arguably classic albums?

I like everything besides Pablo Honey, which I think is terrible, and I've never been able to get into any of their non-album stuff (besides the live/compilation/unplugged albums), personally.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-26-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Muse for me . Absolution was great and Origin of Symmetry is probably my favourite album.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
It wasn't meant to be some sort of statement. He just always leaves me that impression whenever I hear him talk or see him perform. I sort of view him as a guy with a bit of average talent, who suddenly starts thinking of himself as a big rockstar, has an idea of what one is supposed to be like, and acts accordingly. The way he is just feels really calculated, insincere, and kind of full of himself to me. I don't know how to describe that besides thinking he's a bit of a poser.

What did you think of In Rainbows? I can't comprehend someone not thinking that one's great.
You should watch "It Might Get Loud", it helped me move away from the same thinking you have of Jack White.

Gobias Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
El Gato Bodegero

The Walkmen - Released their debut album "Everyone who pretended me to like is gone" and "Bows + Arrows" which is a conceptul christmas album.

Best songs: No Christmas while am talking and Everyone who pretended me to like me is gone.

Best non rock album from the dead puck era : Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway.

El Gato Bodegero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:

I thought Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's first three albums in that time span were far better to some of the other bands on that list I listen to (Muse and The Hives namely). The National even themselves say that their first two albums were nothing to talk about. Alligator came out in 2005 and I did put them on that list but it was basically one good album and two bad ones so they aren't in the conversation imo. Now if we're talking 2005-2010 then The National are arguably the best band for indie.

The Strokes and Interpol aren't worth listening to after the 2nd album minus a single here and there. I also thought Coldplay went downhill after this period though Keane came out in 2004 and have been better.

I tried out a Walkmen album from then, was quite boring though The Rat was an amazing song, they didn't make many like that.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
You should watch "It Might Get Loud", it helped me move away from the same thinking you have of Jack White.
So I took you up on this because it was on Netflix.

Unfortunately, I feel the same way about the guy, maybe even more-so.

He feels very fake and full of himself to me.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Ceremony
Shame ain't worth

vCash: 48348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Oh, OK.......
Foo Fighters are one of the most unremarkable bands ever, capable of putting out a few good songs an album and then being completely forgettable aside from that. Their best albums, Foo Fighters and Wasting Light manage to rise above this by being more consistent throughout, but in all of the others I could pick 3/4 songs from each and be perfectly happy.

03-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Ceremony
Shame ain't worth

Hey the Avs suck so I may as well do my "what Foo Fighters songs are acceptable" bit

Foo Fighters (1995): This is a Call, Alone + Easy Target, Good Grief, Wattershed
The Colour and the Shape (1997): Monkey Wrench, My Hero, Everlong, Walking After You
There is Nothing Left to Lose (1999): Aurora
One By One (2002): All My Life, Low, Come Back
In Your Honor (2005): In Your Honor, Best of You

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (2007): The Pretender, Long Road to Ruin, But, Honestly
Wasting Light (2011): Bridge Burning, Dear Rosemary, Arlandria, Walk

Underlined are the ones relevant to this thread. They don't make good albums.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:30 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Hey the Avs suck so I may as well do my "what Foo Fighters songs are acceptable" bit

Foo Fighters (1995): This is a Call, Alone + Easy Target, Good Grief, Wattershed
The Colour and the Shape (1997): Monkey Wrench, My Hero, Everlong, Walking After You
There is Nothing Left to Lose (1999): Aurora
One By One (2002): All My Life, Low, Come Back
In Your Honor (2005): In Your Honor, Best of You

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (2007): The Pretender, Long Road to Ruin, But, Honestly
Wasting Light (2011): Bridge Burning, Dear Rosemary, Arlandria, Walk

Underlined are the ones relevant to this thread. They don't make good albums.
Because your opinion represents all of us...

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Ceremony
Shame ain't worth

Not saying it does, but I've always found them to be unimaginitive and over-rated.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:25 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

The Foo Fighters are good for the car if you only have access to the radio. They're on the higher end of radio rock. Other than that, there's really not much to say about them. They had some good acoustic songs on the latter half of In Your Honor but other than that, most of their stuff does sound pretty bland.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
xl Lightning lx

Muse or QOTSA, noone comes close to the 2 of them.

xl Lightning lx is offline   Reply With Quote