HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #17 - 2013 Offseason/Draft edition

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 11:47 PM
BK201

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
You know we have a new offense, right?
yeah i know but I'll beieve they'll use the TE more when i see them use a TE more.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:48 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludhavenHawks View Post
Jarvis not Barrett.
Oh, why do we want a 3-4 OLB with a terrible back?

Old
03-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
yeah but they run a 2 TE set and we don't, NE use their TE as recievers we mainly use them for blocking and the occasional screen and redzone play.

TE in our offense is a wasted pick IMO.

thats why they got Bennett he can block and he can catch if we need him to, but i wouldn't expect him to be worked to much into the passing game.

but who the **** knows whats happening now they want to use a run read option to open up big plays, maybe finally we can use an effective play action this year. we just need a good fast deep threat WR.

i think the biggest thing for Cutler and very basic is to get him to throw the ball away when no one is open. My biggest pet peve with him is when he can't find anyone and he takes a sack instead of throwing it away.
There's so much blatantly incorrect conjecture based on misunderstood rumors in here that I don't even know where to begin. But I'll try.

Bennett WILL be worked into the passing game. If you have seen any film on various offenses our new Head Coach has run, he LOVES to pass to his TE. Also, our new OC/Line coach was rather good at using TEs in New Orleans. Bennett wasn't brought here to block like the Mike Tice offense, he was brought here to block AND catch passes, and he will do both.

Read Option? No. Trestman NEVER said that we would be running the Read-Option with Cutler. He said that:

1) We would have a Read-Option package in the playbook --- how can any team not at this point, if anything than to be ready for it from a defensive standpoint. Having a package in the playbook doesn't mean running a read option offense. We had a Devin Hester package the last 2 seasons. How did that work out for us?

2) He said that he and all teams would have to "look" at running the read option. That is not the same thing as saying "yes, we are converting to a read-option offense.

My last gripe about your post is something that's really eating at me on a lot of Bears forums these days. Everyone is saying we need to "Draft a burner / deep threat receiver." Ya know what? No. No we don't. In fact, I think the term "burner receiver" is something that is totally over-hyped by fans. This is mainly thanks to the NFL combine and making 40 times seem like an all-important measurable for all positions when it isn't. It's a good guide --- nothing more. But back to the term "burner receiver" and the Bears needs, here's something interesting for you.

When watching some mid 2000s Bears clips, something stood out to me. Grossman hit Bernard Berrian deep a LOT of times. I remember Bears fans saying what a great "deep threat" Bernard Berrian was. He was always getting behind the defense --- he even got behind ours when he was a Viking (but boy did we trade him at the right time). Bernard Berrian was a really good and EFFECTIVE deep threat for the Bears. Wanna know his 40 time? 4.57 That's it.

Here are some current Bears 40 times:

Alshon Jeffrey: 4.48
Brandon Marshall: 4.52
Earl Bennett: 4.48

Having top-end speed is nice, but it doesn't make you a deep threat. You need to be an effective ROUTE RUNNER. You need to fool your opponent into think you are going to stop short, cut outside, cut inside, and then have a quick step to rush past him. You don't need an elite 40 time.

Our last "burner" receiver was Johnny Knox. His 40 time was 4.29. Knox was a pretty terrible route runner though. I can honestly say I can count on one hand the number of times that I remember Knox torching a guy deep. I won't even need to use my thumb. It just didn't happen much at all. He wasn't good at fooling defenders and gaining separation. Most of his deep passes were catching things in stride and coverage breakdowns.

We don't need a guy with elite speed as much as we need good route runners. Between Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett (Earl) we have a solid group of WRs that can get the job done. If we find a fast guy, great! But there are LOTS of very fast guys with great 40 times that never make it in the NFL. Takes more than speed to be effective. And I, for one, am tired of hearing fans clamor for a "burner/deep threat" WR because it's a way over-hyped and over-used phrase and is kind of meaningless.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:08 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
There's so much blatantly incorrect conjecture based on misunderstood rumors in here that I don't even know where to begin. But I'll try.

Bennett WILL be worked into the passing game. If you have seen any film on various offenses our new Head Coach has run, he LOVES to pass to his TE. Also, our new OC/Line coach was rather good at using TEs in New Orleans. Bennett wasn't brought here to block like the Mike Tice offense, he was brought here to block AND catch passes, and he will do both.

Read Option? No. Trestman NEVER said that we would be running the Read-Option with Cutler. He said that:

1) We would have a Read-Option package in the playbook --- how can any team not at this point, if anything than to be ready for it from a defensive standpoint. Having a package in the playbook doesn't mean running a read option offense. We had a Devin Hester package the last 2 seasons. How did that work out for us?

2) He said that he and all teams would have to "look" at running the read option. That is not the same thing as saying "yes, we are converting to a read-option offense.

My last gripe about your post is something that's really eating at me on a lot of Bears forums these days. Everyone is saying we need to "Draft a burner / deep threat receiver." Ya know what? No. No we don't. In fact, I think the term "burner receiver" is something that is totally over-hyped by fans. This is mainly thanks to the NFL combine and making 40 times seem like an all-important measurable for all positions when it isn't. It's a good guide --- nothing more. But back to the term "burner receiver" and the Bears needs, here's something interesting for you.

When watching some mid 2000s Bears clips, something stood out to me. Grossman hit Bernard Berrian deep a LOT of times. I remember Bears fans saying what a great "deep threat" Bernard Berrian was. He was always getting behind the defense --- he even got behind ours when he was a Viking (but boy did we trade him at the right time). Bernard Berrian was a really good and EFFECTIVE deep threat for the Bears. Wanna know his 40 time? 4.57 That's it.

Here are some current Bears 40 times:

Alshon Jeffrey: 4.48
Brandon Marshall: 4.52
Earl Bennett: 4.48

Having top-end speed is nice, but it doesn't make you a deep threat. You need to be an effective ROUTE RUNNER. You need to fool your opponent into think you are going to stop short, cut outside, cut inside, and then have a quick step to rush past him. You don't need an elite 40 time.

Our last "burner" receiver was Johnny Knox. His 40 time was 4.29. Knox was a pretty terrible route runner though. I can honestly say I can count on one hand the number of times that I remember Knox torching a guy deep. I won't even need to use my thumb. It just didn't happen much at all. He wasn't good at fooling defenders and gaining separation. Most of his deep passes were catching things in stride and coverage breakdowns.

We don't need a guy with elite speed as much as we need good route runners. Between Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett (Earl) we have a solid group of WRs that can get the job done. If we find a fast guy, great! But there are LOTS of very fast guys with great 40 times that never make it in the NFL. Takes more than speed to be effective. And I, for one, am tired of hearing fans clamor for a "burner/deep threat" WR because it's a way over-hyped and over-used phrase and is kind of meaningless.
Cmon man thats not what i was saying at all.

1) i said were gonna use a run read option to open up big plays(like a play action pass) i didn't say were were converting to a option offense.

2) i never said lets draft a burner..... i said it would be nice if we got a burner for a deep threat.... i still think it would be good but i understand what your saying about route running. Hester would get bumped so easily at the line so there's arguments either way, besides the fact that he couldn't catch the ball.

and like i said above when i see the TE being used by cutler i'll believe it. he doesn't even really use most of his WR's as it is mostlty because he didn't trust thier routes in our other offense so maybe this year will really flourish with the change.

it would nice to see a change in our offense TBH.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:43 AM
HeisenBaez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Oh, why do we want a 3-4 OLB with a terrible back?
I'm saying I wouldn't take Jarvis, but there is a chance he will be available at the 20th. It wouldn't be the first time Emery thought outside the box with the first pick.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:55 AM
HeisenBaez

[QUOTE]
Quote:
thats why they got Bennett he can block and he can catch if we need him to, but i wouldn't expect him to be worked to much into the passing game.
As Recoil mentioned, M. Bennett will be MORE than just a blocking TE. The Bears are going to use his all around abilities as TE. If they were just going to use Bennett as a blocker, then why the heck did they sign Maneri from K.C., who is strictly a blocking TE?

You have every reason to be skeptical but Trestman knows the importance of having a TE who can create mismatches. To me the Bears valued his offensive playmaking ability first and foremost, and that his blocking ability is the iciing on top of the cake.

I promise you, Bennett will be more than a blocking TE in Trestman's system.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

If we end up with JJones, our transition to a 3-4 becomes more and more reality.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:57 PM
RayP

From Rotoworld...

Quote:
Bears signed OG Matt Slauson to a one-year contract.
Slauson, 27, was the Jets' starting left guard for each of the past three seasons, never missing a game over that span. Pro Football Focus graded Slauson as the NFL's No. 31 guard in 2012, among 81 qualifiers. They liked him as a pass blocker, but not as much in run blocking. Left guard has been a trouble spot for sometime in Chicago. Slauson is likely to open the season as a starter.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Meh. Average. I'll take it.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:19 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

All they need is to be competent.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Illinihockey

@BradBiggs: Guard Matt Slauson chose #Bears over offers from #Jets and #Raiders while cap-strapped #Cowboys also showed interest w/ former line coach

Old
03-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Terrible signing

Jets castoff,,, Sanchez (bad QB),,, Emery not serious as GM,,, McClellin

Old
03-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
Terrible signing

Jets castoff,,, Sanchez (bad QB),,, Emery not serious as GM,,, McClellin
Not sure if serious?

I think it's a good signing. He is solid in pass protection, which is what we need badly. Frees us up for BPA in the draft even more, although I still think an elite Guard is in play. Frankly, I think we will be drafting to both positions we have filled with all these one-year deals (LB and OG). I've also heard the Jets wanted to resign this guy moreso than Brandon Moore (he's 6 years younger, 10 pounds heavier, and graded out VERY well in pass protection).

The Jet's just lost their two starting guards. I think they HAVE to go Guard in the draft, but I'd be shocked if they went with Warmack at #9. They can still get a damn good guard (Pugh, Long, Warford) in the 2nd. I still see them going defense in the 1st.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Not sure if serious?

I think it's a good signing. He is solid in pass protection, which is what we need badly. Frees us up for BPA in the draft even more, although I still think an elite Guard is in play. Frankly, I think we will be drafting to both positions we have filled with all these one-year deals (LB and OG). I've also heard the Jets wanted to resign this guy moreso than Brandon Moore (he's 6 years younger, 10 pounds heavier, and graded out VERY well in pass protection).

The Jet's just lost their two starting guards. I think they HAVE to go Guard in the draft, but I'd be shocked if they went with Warmack at #9. They can still get a damn good guard (Pugh, Long, Warford) in the 2nd. I still see them going defense in the 1st.
he was making fun of bwc

Old
03-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Three things I like about the signing

1. He's only 27
2. He's durable - 48 of 48 GP last three years
3. Draft flexibility - Allows us to go BPA in first round/trade down.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
he was making fun of bwc
It felt like it, just wasn't 100% sure.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Three things I like about the signing

1. He's only 27
2. He's durable - 48 of 48 GP last three years
3. Draft flexibility - Allows us to go BPA in first round/trade down.
He was also apparently the Jet's backup Center.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
He is basically a slight improvement over Chris Spencer

Old
03-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
He is basically a slight improvement over Chris Spencer
Only if Spencer was a slight improvement over Louis

Old
03-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Only if Spencer was a slight improvement over Louis
?

Slauson is LG ,, Spencer was playing LG (Louis is RG)

Spencer sucks ,, Slauson is average

Slight improvement to LG spot

Old
03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
madgoat33

he's about equal to louis probably, which is no slight. hes a solid player

Old
03-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
?

Slauson is LG ,, Spencer was playing LG (Louis is RG)

Spencer sucks ,, Slauson is average

Slight improvement to LG spot
A guard is a guard, they aren't like tackles. Emery said that Slauson will compete for the starting job at both spots.

Slauson was rated 31st in guards, Louis was 47th out of 80.

Like you said, Spencer sucks. You and me both liked Louis's play the past two years at RG. I think its a solid upgrade at LG.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Illinihockey

@MarkPotash: According to Pro Football Focus, #Bears Matt Slauson was tied for 14th among NFL guards in pass-blocking efficiency. Allowed 1 sack.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:14 PM
BK201

I like it.

I'm hoping we get ogletree in the first. With all these signing for the offense I have a feeling were targeting him.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:12 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
I like it.

I'm hoping we get ogletree in the first. With all these signing for the offense I have a feeling were targeting him.
I don't think he gets by New Orleans, much less by the Steelers and Giants.

Hell, the Jets are dumb, maybe they take him.

Closed Thread