HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

AHL Chat

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Duckz_fan85'

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Duckz_fan85'
AHL Chat

Hi Guys,
Just wondering...

RJ Umberger - 59pts in 67 games, 2nd behind Jon Sim in team scoring in the AHL affiliate, definitely a NHL spot for him when the lockout ends?

Old
04-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Rex88

I think you will get a mixed response here but I will say yes. He will likely play the wing at the NHL level however. He has the size and hands to play on a scoring line but with Hitch may see lower than that initially.

Old
04-10-2005, 09:17 AM
FlyersFan10*

I say yes as well. When you consider that Umberger has been away from the game for year, he's played really well. That year off hurt his development, but he seems to be ok. I'd probably give him another year in the AHL though to become a really dominant player and then bring him up to Philadelphia.

Old
04-10-2005, 12:06 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I say yes...............if there is space. The Flyers do have quite a lot coming up besides him. I think Carter and Sharp definitely deserve roster spots. I'm not sure about Richards? Right now, I'd give Umberger a shot over Richards because Umberger will be a wing in the NHL, but I think they should keep Richards as a C and he'd have more of a chance to play minutes as a C in the AHL.

Old
04-10-2005, 02:21 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I don't think its a given but there is a good chance that he could make the Flyers as a winger. the good thing is, there is no need to rush him. if he needs another year on the Phantoms, then you could let him develop there for another year.

Old
04-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
I don't think its a given but there is a good chance that he could make the Flyers as a winger. the good thing is, there is no need to rush him. if he needs another year on the Phantoms, then you could let him develop there for another year.

I think that at age 23 (he will be that in May) that his time is now. He has shown that development at the AHL level is not really needed any more - and time at the NHL level is needed. He may struggle a bit as number of rookies do, but at his age he is not going to see much through another year in AHL seasoning.
He would be a nice fit on the second or third line wing - personally I would love to see him with Zues.

Closed Thread