HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres vs. The Media

Old
04-18-2013, 01:33 PM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Sabres vs. The Media

Things are about to get interesting.

Quote:
@ByTimGraham

Hearing there will be a full-page ad in Buffalo Business First condemning media coverage of Terry Pegula and the Buffalo Sabres.
More from Tim:

Quote:
@ByTimGraham 1m

I'm told the full-page ad in Buffalo Business First condemning local media coverage of Sabres being paid for by Larry Quinn and Jordan Levy.
:confusion:

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:36 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Ha. This should get fun.

Break out the twitters and journalism degrees.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

As long as it's accurate... I'm fine with exposing bad media. I wish they would ban a couple media hacks from the locker room

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

I do not fully understand this, someone care to explain?

so LQ is paying an Ad talking **** about the crappy coverage of the Sabres and Terry Pegula?

right, wrong?

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I thought we were done with LQ Go away LQ

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

About time Quinn did something amusing.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
About time Quinn did something amusing.
Listen Terry, when I ran things, this is how it would have worked.

Wow, I'm so new at this, would you like a minority stake in the team?

Old
04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Jerry Sullivan tweeting snide remarks directed at Pegula's daughters during boo-gate is a borderline fireable offense, IMO.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post

NOOOO

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:46 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

At best, this will be hilarious.

I honestly don't see a "worst" if the ad isn't financed by the current administration.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I do not fully understand this, someone care to explain?
There has been an on going issue with Jerry Sullivan and Bucky gleason with owner Terry Pegula.

The two are:

(1) frustrated that he seems to be keeping on Darcy as the GM

(2) they have wanted to sit down and talk with him but he wont

(3) on Fridays through the website those two do a conversational chat about topics of the week and they have had Ted black on, but they want Pegula on but he wont budge.

Bucky has more contacts throughout the league with other reporters, scouts, GMs....and he has talked with them and many are shocked Darcy still has the job. He has also talked to some close friends of Pegula in terms of what they would expect would happen with the sabres and they have been dumbfounded in why Pegula is keeping Regier.

A few weeks ago Gleason wrote about how Buffalo could change the culture bu brringing in some former Sabres into the front office to shake things up. One person mentioned as team President would be Lafontaine. As GM Possible Larry Carriere (currently assitant GM in Montreal), bringing back Don Luce and Terry Martin int the scouting area.

I think esterday Scott Burnside of espn pick up on some of these points in a postgame column after last nights Bruins game and agreed with them....that this run by the sabres late will only hurt the club long term. Similar to the quadmire Calgary has become---the team is not good enough to seriously contend and only sitting just inside/outside the playoffs...but by missing the playoffs they are too high on the draft board to get one of the serious impact game changer kind of players that can turn a club around.

It has been mentioned this could be the first year since the team moved to Calgary that the team would have a top 5 pick, Buffalo has had only one top 5 in the last 30 years (Vanek).

TBN understands Buffalo has a young core of players with potential, and they think Darcy did a great job on the Pominville trade. But he should pass the torch to someone else to come in.

this also goes back to the Briere/Drury debockle in 2007. Was it Regiers fault or was it the owners or was it Quinn?

Now the issue is what happens with Miller and Vanke---do they keep them? trade them (either both or just one)? Learning from Drury/Briere if they cant appear to be able to sign either player would they then say screw it we will just trade them and get something for them rather than see them walk for nothing.

other comparisons have been made with the dismantling of the 2007 young core (Vanek, Roy, Gaustead, Connolly, Miller, etc) and now a new core is being created (Foligno, Grigo, Hodgson, Myers, etc)

a side note on this has been with Terry Pegula's daughter....she has tweeted a few comments that have had to be taken down because of the embarassement it has caused.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:04 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
At best, this will be hilarious.

I honestly don't see a "worst" if the ad isn't financed by the current administration.
Agreed, going to be pretty funny. Again, I don't see why Pegula should have to talk during the season when virtually no other owner does save for clowns like Jerry Jones. They just want an easy story to write. I'm hoping this turns into a bigger **** show

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Niagaradad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I think yesterday Scott Burnside of espn pick up on some of these points in a postgame column after last nights Bruins game and agreed with them....that this run by the sabres late will only hurt the club long term. Similar to the quadmire Calgary has become---the team is not good enough to seriously contend and only sitting just inside/outside the playoffs...but by missing the playoffs they are too high on the draft board to get one of the serious impact game changer kind of players that can turn a club around.
here's a link to the Burnside article.

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Takeo

This Sabres vs. media drama has become so completely amateurish. It's the stuff of a middling, small market sports town. The blame rests squarely on jokers in the Sabres locker room, i.e. Ryan Miller.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:22 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
This Sabres vs. media drama has become so completely amateurish. It's the stuff of a middling, small market sports town. The blame rests squarely on jokers in the Sabres locker room, i.e. Ryan Miller.
The blame rests squarely on the unprofessional mostly incompetent writers of the Buffalo News.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Jacob582

I wrestle with what is the job of the media. Is it to report facts and stories?

It seems like TBN reporters spend a lot of time calling for the firing of Sabres employees (Regier, Ruff, Connolly, Hecht, etc.)

I know that these players/staff make 10x what the reporters and you and me may make, but I still struggle with whether I am comfortable with this.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
We are a middling, small market sports town. You'll hate yourself less and be happier once you embrace that fact.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:33 PM
delectrolux

Quote:
Right, because no behemoth, large market sports cities would conduct themselves this way...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-not-to-happy

Quote:
Perhaps the first media member to consistently attack the Jets no matter what they do was WFAN radio's Mike Francesa. Long ago, the Jets cut off access to the team for Francesa, so he's responded with a four-year rant against the franchise in retaliation.

Moving on from there, the media got personal when the Daily News ran with a story about Rex Ryan's wife's uncomfortably strange foot-fetish videos.

Photo courtesy of New York Post
Bill Hutchinson of the Daily News ran the initial story on Dec. 21, 2010, and continued well past the point of its relevance with another story about the videos and pictures on New Year's Eve.

Mind you, the second story came out 10 days later when the Jets were ending their regular season and preparing for the playoffs.

If the media's responsibility is to provide the fans important news and insight, who are they serving by talking about Ryan's wife's feet three days before Week 17?

Since then, it's been one incident after another where the Jets beat writers were all too happy to kick the team while they were down or create their own circus.

Ryan's candor started changing in the season's final months. His press conferences, once ripe with wit, smiles and self-deprecation became filled with monotonous, mumbling coach-speak, resembling Eric Mangini's pressers at their worst.

Things have really slid downhill with the Jets' beat writers over the last week of the season, though.

The Monday after the season, Mike Tannenbaum was fired after 15 years with the organization and Woody Johnson addressed the coaches in a closed-door meeting. With beat writers salivating about a Ryan press conference scheduled for 4:45 p.m. that day, the Jets promptly pulled the rug out from under them and cancelled it.

This sent writers off the cliff.

delectrolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:39 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Don't forget "standing on logo"-gate.

TBN though are real *******s. And the vast majority of posters here could write better quality hockey articles than they do. That's my beef with them: I have no problem with them being critical, but at least demonstrate some understanding of what you're covering...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Jacob582

Re: "This sent writers off the cliff."

Did they go beserk because they were not able to perform their job (report a sensational story), or because they have an inferiority complex? (Athletes and managers who make 10x what they do but not as smart as them -no journalism degree!)

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Nibbler

Quote:

I would become a Leafs fan, no joke.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:40 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Squarely? Not a chance.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:42 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
You know, outside of his influence on personnel decisions, pretty much everything else Quinn did benefited the team and region.

Incidentally, eat it TBN. You reap what you sow, though it's a shame some of the better writers get lumped in with the clowns.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Don't forget "standing on logo"-gate.

TBN though are real *******s. And the vast majority of posters here could write better quality hockey articles than they do. That's my beef with them: I have no problem with them being critical, but at least demonstrate some understanding of what you're covering...
Exactly, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
You know, outside of his influence on personnel decisions, pretty much everything else Quinn did benefited the team and region.
Agreed.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:25 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Conflict sells papers. TBN creates conflict to sell papers. Or digital subscriptions. Or whatever.

The Sabres could be in the SCF for 10 years straight, winning a couple Cups, and SOMEONE at TBN would find a negative to write about. It's just a given.

They're petulant children who feel that they're entitled to have stories handed to them simply because of their existence. They think it's ok to badger, pester, and belittle the organizations they cover because 'big markets do it'. Like a schmuck NY Post writer doing it somehow makes it a valid journalistic technique.

I've been able to gather tons of good, quality information about the Sabres through placed like HFB, TSN, and other national news sources. I don't read anything TBN writes unless it's posted here. Let's face it; most of the stuff TBN (and WGR for that matter) puts out is stuff they got from these other sources in the first place! I mean, on trade deadline day, WGR sets up Tweetdeck in the studio, and talks about what national guys are saying until something breaks, then they talk about THAT. They send Paul Hamilton down to the Arena to basically sit there and wait for the press conference. He's not getting any information down there. This is the 'awesome local coverage' they want me to buy?

If I want to read irrational, not well thought out rants about how the Sabres suck, I can get that many places for free. I'm not going to pay so I can read Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan piss and moan too.

Break a story. Do some actual journalism. Do something more than just write a couple hundred words about what many of us watched ourselves, peppered with some locker room quotes why can get from the Sabres TV section without you. Provide content that I can't get anywhere else.

Otherwise, ****.

(And since we know they'll read it ; Hi Mike!!)

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote