HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Color games of maskless goalies

Old
03-30-2013, 10:28 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
Color games of maskless goalies

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any full-color clips of goalies playing without masks at the NHL level? I only ever can seem to find black-and-white. It just seems so surreal and other-worldly!

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

look for them on ... just type in Glenn Hall, Gump Worsley, Johnny Bower etc. Clips. Pieces.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:05 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
I would really like to see someone take a shot right in the mug on color TV.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I would really like to see someone take a shot right in the mug on color TV.
Ah... no. I dont think you actually would. Ive' seen it live & in-person right on the ice & one too many times, and really, even once is too many times. Beyond ugly, horrifying... just wait for the Rob Zombie epic about the Broad Street Bullies to come out (I believe either later this year, maybe next). Im sure it'll be beyond bloody, and at least you'll know its faked, a movie.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:24 PM
ICM1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any full-color clips of goalies playing without masks at the NHL level? I only ever can seem to find black-and-white. It just seems so surreal and other-worldly!
I have in my DVD collection an NHL Action Films highlight of a Philadelphia-Pittsburgh game from about March 1973 featuring Andy Brown in nets for the Penguins (he who was the last maskless goaltender). Also, I have the NESN Boston Bruins' highlights from their 1969-70 and 1971-72 Cup winning seasons on DVD. Offhandedly, I know that in that collection there are games (in colour videotape no less) featuring Bruce Gamble for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Joe Daley for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Eddie Giacomin for the New York Rangers, and Gump Worsley for the Minnesota North Stars all playing without masks. You can also watch the National Film Board's "Blades and Brass" featuring colour action highlights from the 1966-67 season, featuring many of the barefaced legends. I'd also like to break into NBC's sports archive and see if they have the colour videotape copy of the April 7, 1974 game between Pittsburgh and the Atlanta Flames, which was Andy Brown's last game in the NHL, marking the end of the maskless era in the NHL. I have found a link for you to watch, featuring Daley playing for the Buffalo Sabres without a mask circa 1971. Hope that this all helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPcyjHwxVE

Last edited by ICM1970: 04-01-2013 at 05:16 PM.
ICM1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
invictus

Cool, thanks everyone. I think goalies playing without a mask deserve a bonus in the all-time rankings, haha.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote