HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long Beach Playoff Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2005, 01:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Long Beach Playoff Thread

West Division Semi-finals
No 3 Idaho (42-23-7) vs No 2 Long Beach (43-20-9)

The best of 5 series starts this week, as LB will host the first two games on wednesday and friday night at 10:30 pm est. Then the series moves to Idaho on saturday and sunday at 10 pm est.

Here's LB's stats for the regular season as well as Idaho's,

http://www.echl.com/daily.txt

Series Schedule

Series D
West Division Semifinals
No. 3 Idaho (42-23-7) vs. No. 2 Long Beach (43-20-9)

Wednesday, April 13 Idaho at Long Beach 7:30 p.m.
Friday, April 15 Idaho at Long Beach 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 16 Long Beach at Idaho 7:10 p.m.
*Sunday, April 17 Long Beach at Idaho 7:10 p.m.
*Wednesday, April 20 Idaho at Long Beach 7:00 p.m.

Should be a good matchup, as Shasby will need to have a good series, Centomo wil need to be solid in nets, as I don't expect Michaud will see any time unless Centomo doesn't play well. Larrivee I expect will have a good series as he hasn't been putting up a ton of points but does all the little things well and works hard every shift. Urquhart and Lambert hopefully will add some offensive punch, as neither has been overly impressive imo from what I've seen this year. But hopefully the 2 pt games they just had will give them a boost in the playoffs. Long Beach has a solid group of forwards, as they can roll 3 good lines with many smart players like Cheverie, Rosa, Kenady, Shasby and Larrivee, as well as some physical play from Martz, Cardarelli and Lindsay, as well as some added offense from Urquhart and Lambert who have seen time together since Lambert was sent down. On defense, Shasby will likely lead the way, and rookie Steve Villeneuve is coming off a solid rookie year, and Walker and Watson are solid as well bringing some offense as well.

Should be a good series

Go Ice Dogs Go

Old
04-10-2005, 04:28 PM
katodelder

Has Larrivee done enough this season to warrant another contract? Would anything he does in the ECHL playoffs change that?

Uruqhart and Lambert concern me. Urquhart especially since he was drafted so high. They aren't the first two rookies to struggle in their first pro seasons and they won't be the last. Hopefully both rebound next year to the point where they can nail down AHL roster spots. We'll need them to perform with all the turnover Hamilton is going to go through (bye bye Plekanec, Higgins, Miettinen, Ott, Begin, Ward, Morgan, Jancevski, Komisarek, Hainsey, Daley, Ellis).

Old
04-10-2005, 04:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodelder
Has Larrivee done enough this season to warrant another contract? Would anything he does in the ECHL playoffs change that?

Uruqhart and Lambert concern me. Urquhart especially since he was drafted so high. They aren't the first two rookies to struggle in their first pro seasons and they won't be the last. Hopefully both rebound next year to the point where they can nail down AHL roster spots. We'll need them to perform with all the turnover Hamilton is going to go through (bye bye Plekanec, Higgins, Miettinen, Ott, Begin, Ward, Morgan, Jancevski, Komisarek, Hainsey, Daley, Ellis).

Actually he's signed on for one more year. He signed a 3 year deal, 3 years ago, but he played the first year of his contract in the Q, so from what I understand that year doesn't count on his contract. I didn't think it was the case, as I thought Michaud who is in the same boat contract wise, was an RFA, but I was mistaken. So Michaud and Larrivee should be with the organization next year if I understand correctly.

If he wasn't signed, I would think that he would get picked up for depth. He's a solid lower pairing guy, as he works hard, seems to be a coaches kind of player, and has some decent offensive skills. Too bad he's not very physical, but he does the little things right, and imo has been solid in Long Beach although he hasn't put up great numbers he helps his team win. Plays in all kinds of situations.

Agree on both Urquhart and Lambert. Urquhart is the youngest guy on LB, so it makes some sense that he's had some trouble adapting to the physical aspect. He's looked good on the PP though, but not so good in the face-off circle or in the corners and along the boards. He does shoot the puck more as last year I thought he passed way too much to Lambert. Lambert I actually saw more in Hamilton, tough to get a read on him. He can take the body but doesn't always seem to want to get his nose dirty. More of a one trick pony in that he has a great shot but lacking in his passing game. Next year should be big ones for them.

Old
04-11-2005, 08:11 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

They have one game (friday 15th) from the series on TV here in southern california, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

http://www.kvmdtv.com/calendar_events.asp?quarterid=24

Old
04-12-2005, 02:26 PM
saskhab

Is Shasby signed for next year? A lot of college grads only get 2 year entry level contracts...

Should also be mentioned that Idaho are the defending Kelly Cup Champions, though a big reason for that was Dan Ellis, and they can't get him on their team this year.

Old
04-12-2005, 05:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
Is Shasby signed for next year? A lot of college grads only get 2 year entry level contracts...

Should also be mentioned that Idaho are the defending Kelly Cup Champions, though a big reason for that was Dan Ellis, and they can't get him on their team this year.

No he's not signed for next year, but I assume he'll be resigned, as he was ok in Hamilton in his short stint, but was LB's top defensemen this year and the Dogs will likely be short on defensemen next year.

Old
04-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
No he's not signed for next year, but I assume he'll be resigned, as he was ok in Hamilton in his short stint, but was LB's top defensemen this year and the Dogs will likely be short on defensemen next year.
Do you think he's ready for a full-time role in the AHL? He might get one out of necessity, but do you think he can have success at the AHL level?

Personally I think both he and Sanford could step up and play regular roles in Hamilton and be effective players. As you said, he was LB's top dman this year and from what I've heard/seen he looked very good. Sanford also looked very good in Hamilton this year.

Old
04-12-2005, 05:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
Do you think he's ready for a full-time role in the AHL? He might get one out of necessity, but do you think he can have success at the AHL level?

Personally I think both he and Sanford could step up and play regular roles in Hamilton and be effective players. As you said, he was LB's top dman this year and from what I've heard/seen he looked very good. Sanford also looked very good in Hamilton this year.

Yea I think Shasby could step in, although I'd love to see this kid get stronger, bulk up a lot. He's smart and has good offensive instincts, but seemed to have trouble tying up guys in the crease with Hamilton. Sanford I expect to make the team next year but he'll need to be paired with someone that's strong in the defensive zone, as Sanford has to improve in his own end.

Old
04-13-2005, 12:15 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

The Long Beach Ice Dogs open up their West Division, Semi-Final Series against the defending Kelly Cup Champion Idaho Steelheads, with a home game on Wednesday, April 13th, sort of. The Ice Dogs will not be playing Game 1 of the series at the Long Beach Arena, where they compiled a 21-11-4 regular season record, due to the lack of availability of ice as a result of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach which was run last weekend. The game will be played at the Healthsouth Center which is located at 555 N. Nash St. in El Segundo. Game time on Wednesday, April 13th will be 7:30PM.

http://www.icedogs.com/

Thats pretty interesting that they are going to have a playoff game at a practice rink which only seats 600. Now I know why that game will not be on TV here.

Old
04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Long Beach opens their playoff round tonight. The 5 game series should be a tough one. The Ice Dogs have only lost 6 games when Michaud isn't playing, but have lost 14 games when Michaud's in net. Guess he won't be playing in the playoffs. Here's an article that talks about the goaltending and the series.

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic....&cat=1&id=4475

Old
04-13-2005, 11:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Long Beach was down 1-0 in the 2nd, but came back to tie it up by mid period and then took a 3-1 with two late period goals. Lambert gets one goal. Bill Lindsay with the other 2 goals. 3rd period still to go.

Old
04-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

Keep up the good work .I wish I could listen

Old
04-13-2005, 11:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Actually I'm just going off the echl site, cause the game is not broadcast. I couldn't find a radio link and because it's not at their regular rink the game isn't webcast either. The next two games are webcast though.

3-2 3:58 to go in the 3rd.

Old
04-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

Thanks I didn't know that just thought my connection was acting up like always So that's good to know

Old
04-14-2005, 12:18 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

And the Ice Dogs take game 1, as the they hold on and win 3-2. Good job on the win. Game two is friday night!

Old
04-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
And the Ice Dogs take game 1, as the they hold on and win 3-2. Good job on the win. Game two is friday night!
Is tonight's game broadcast on the internet? Time?

Old
04-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
It's available for viewing for 6$ and is free to listen. The away feed is usually better for me, I don't know why.

The game starts at 10:30 EST.

http://www.echl.com/broadcasts.shtml

Old
04-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Dynasty

Thank you very much Quiet Robert!

Old
04-15-2005, 08:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
The webcasts are much better then the OHL's, as I've seen several of Long Beach's games through B2 networks. someone's taping the game for me, so I don't think I'll watch it, a win tonight and they are in great shape.

Damn, PA just gave up a goal, 1-0 MH.

Old
04-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Brodie562

Lambert with an early goal in Game 2!

Old
04-16-2005, 12:15 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

3-2 Idaho.

That was a frustrating game.

Ref wasn't calling anything. Idaho is a dirty team, they basically tackled Marco Rosa everytime he went anywhere near the net.

Old
04-16-2005, 10:57 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Long Beach wins 4-2, goes up 2-1 in the best of 5 series, so they can wrap it up tomorrow night. They won a game they shouldn't have, as they didn't play all that well. Larrivee with 2 assists, had a strong game though, once again doing all the little things right, was always working hard. Lambert with an assist, leads the team in scoring. Showed some nice flashes but then would disappear for streches. Showed a nice burst of speed a couple of times, and a good shot. Urquhart had some chances but couldn't do much with them.

Shasby is still injured. Michaud didn't play. Centomo imo was the dogs best player and the reason they won.

Old
04-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

you beat me to it I was just about to post the score man your fast

Old
04-17-2005, 02:00 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Long Beach wins 4-2, goes up 2-1 in the best of 5 series, so they can wrap it up tomorrow night. They won a game they shouldn't have, as they didn't play all that well. Larrivee with 2 assists, had a strong game though, once again doing all the little things right, was always working hard. Lambert with an assist, leads the team in scoring. Showed some nice flashes but then would disappear for streches. Showed a nice burst of speed a couple of times, and a good shot. Urquhart had some chances but couldn't do much with them.

Shasby is still injured. Michaud didn't play. Centomo imo was the dogs best player and the reason they won.
What a seesaw battle

Old
04-17-2005, 03:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia
What a seesaw battle

Long Beach got lucky on the 3rd goal, it shouldn't have gone in, but I'm sure they will take it. But I really liked the work they did on the 2nd goal, real nice setup by Larrivee and good hands by Chev to finally get a goal in the playoffs (since he was the leading scorer) Tonight should be a good one. I can't see LB putting Michaud in nets, so that means Centomo plays 3 games in 3 days, but he imo was the best player of the game last night on either side.

Closed Thread