HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boucher fired, Cooper to TB, Zettler in SYR | Bowness & George Gwozdecky hired

Old
03-26-2013, 02:19 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 500
Video of Yzerman's press conference yesterday for those who haven't seen it yet: http://video.lightning.nhl.com/video...d=55&id=228874

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:26 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
How close were we to getting Ruff?
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...lightning.html

Right after that the writer speculates that Yzerman did offer Ruff the job but only made those quotes only because Ruff turned the job down.
Why do the fans and writers in Buffalo find it so hard to imagine that Yzerman wouldn't offer the job to a coach who had just been fired for losing his team? Must be something in the water.

ThunderAlleyNomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Peter Pupello ‏@peterpupello
Guy Boucher just walked into every single employee's office to individually shake their hand and thank them for everything #ClassAct
https://twitter.com/peterpupello

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
That is just awesome.

Xenophobia Catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
It's exactly the point I was trying to make. I'm not worried about the kids from Syracuse this year. Neither am I worried about Hedman or Stamkos. For all the *****ing we do about Stammer, he wants to win and badly. But if Cooper cannot get the rest of the vets to buy into a concept of team toughness, brotherhood, and just plain hard work, then his style isn't going to go anywhere.

Cooper was the correct choice and I'm happy about him being the new coach. But it's going to be a huge challenge for him. And then what happens? If he can't get the vets to play his system, is it then Yzerman that dropped the ball. Or does he have to start cleaning out some players that fans are really going to start screaming about?
Well, if it doesn't work and it turns out that Marty and/or Vinny are part of the bigger problem then the good news is that Marty only has a couple years left on his deal and he has amazing trade value. Vinny on the other hand would have to be bought out or asked to waive his NMC. We are paying WAY too much for him to be injured all the time, putting up average points and possibly being a thorn in the coaches side.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Nice to hear. Hopefully he finds what he's looking for his next job.

I still think he's a good coach just that he wasn't good coach for Lightning anymore.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post
Well, if it doesn't work and it turns out that Marty and/or Vinny are part of the bigger problem then the good news is that Marty only has a couple years left on his deal and he has amazing trade value. Vinny on the other hand would have to be bought out or asked to waive his NMC. We are paying WAY too much for him to be injured all the time, putting up average points and possibly being a thorn in the coaches side.
I don't think it's realistic to expect that anyone is going to take Vinny's cap hit for 7 more years. Would have to retain a lot of that cap hit and maybe salary.

Buy out or bust imo. Will be interesting to see how that situation is handled.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:49 PM
sbears
#goboltsgobears

Send a message via AIM to sbears
It is crystal clear from that press conference that the decision to bring Cooper in as a coach was made well before Boucher was let go, and it was only a matter of when they would do it. Those who keep speculating (not on this board but media) Ruff was the first choice, I don't see where they are getting that from. Denial?

sbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
It is crystal clear from that press conference that the decision to bring Cooper in as a coach was made well before Boucher was let go, and it was only a matter of when they would do it. Those who keep speculating (not on this board but media) Ruff was the first choice, I don't see where they are getting that from. Denial?
Quite frankly, I think they are just trying to wind us all up. Either that or they are ignorant and refuse to believe that Tampa can make intellectual choices of their own as an organization, since we are a club based in Florida that doesn't deserve to have a hockey team.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

I still cannot get over the fact that we've got the Batman now.

I've seen Cooper before but always had that, "you look like somebody" kind of feel, but now, holy hell, now I've got that, "hey look there's Michael Keaton" kind of feel to it.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:08 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
How close were we to getting Ruff?
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...lightning.html

Right after that the writer speculates that Yzerman did offer Ruff the job but only made those quotes only because Ruff turned the job down.
This writer apparently doesn't know what interim means. Of course Rolston was hired quickly after Ruff was fired, that's what an interim is. Cooper is the head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Rolston is an interim. And Ruff's name was speculated right from the start so Yzerman did something nice to let him know not to get his hopes up or he talked with Ruff and decided to go with Cooper. I don't see why Sabres fans can't accept that maybe we didn't want a coach who only went to one SCF in 15 years even though he had Hasek and Miller.

Last edited by X0X0A0: 03-26-2013 at 04:17 PM.
X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Off Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post
Let's be honest with ourselves here, Boucher isn't the first coach that "lost" the Lightning's locker room. As a matter of fact, the last 4 coaches had similar problems.

I'm not saying that Vinny and Marty are coach killers but they are the only two constants through all of these coaches. It could be quite possible that one or both of them could be hard to deal with or coach. At what point does the attention get placed on them?
i get what you are saying, but let's not presume that marty and vinny could have done anything differently to save melrose and tocchet from themselves.

i think building a roster around those guys' contracts has been more of a problem than they themselves have. i don't follow the rest of the league nearly as closely as i do the bolts, but i doubt there has been a team more dependent on 2 or 3 skaters over the past decade than the lightning

every GM since Feaster has struggled to pay those guys like the NHL's best and find strong complementary players. since the 2003 lockout, we've had maybe one season (Guy's first year) where we had a competitive 3rd & 4th line, a defensive pairing worth a darn, and league average goaltending. the roster has been marty, vinny (and later stammer), some clear-cut AHLers and maybe some has-beens\never-will-bes sprinkled in. we have overestimated every player who's been projected to share the production burden from hlavac to recchi to malone to gagne, and whiffed on every goalie. so, it always goes back to those 3 guys. i think what made this year so painful is we finally see the talent pipeline SFY built paying off with scoring depth and promising callups, and we were less competitive than some of those one-line teams of the past.

Off Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Why do the fans and writers in Buffalo find it so hard to imagine that Yzerman wouldn't offer the job to a coach who had just been fired for losing his team? Must be something in the water.
Just read that article. Now I want the past 95 seconds of my life back.

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:27 PM
lost puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Center View Post
and whiffed on every goalie. .
Only thing I don't agree with in your post. I honestly still believe that our goal tending issues stem from the coaching staff. We have had too many goalies in our system that have done better once they left, or were decent before they got here then sucked. It's either that or there is some crazy voodoo going on at the Forum.

lost puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:36 PM
lost puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
We are not a cup contending team, even if we get hot to make the playoffs we have no shot. You can say you have a chance once you get in but those teams that go on a run usually ride a really good goalie which we lack right now. We don't have a defense that is built for the playoffs, we can score but the playoffs are a more defensive game. Why not just let Cooper win us another Calder cup then take the reigns? Why not give ourselves the best chance to get a Jones to shore up the D.
I thought the same thing in 2011 and we were one goal from the finals. At the start of that year I had hopes but would never said hey we are a contender. And there is nothing that says Lindbach couldn't stand on his head in the playoffs. It's happened before with other goalies, look at Niemi or Leighton

lost puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Just finished up with Jon Cooper presser. My favorite moment was when he said he told SY he was going to mess up his draft position.
https://twitter.com/MikeCorcoranNHL/...87000864428032

Love it.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:44 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
So badass.

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:26 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Cooper Presser.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86346

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:03 PM
dbieon12
Kelly Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
He said Teddy "Pur-SELL". Is that the actual pronunciation? I've been saying it wrong: "PUR-sill".

Old
03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
He said Teddy "Pur-SELL". Is that the actual pronunciation? I've been saying it wrong: "PUR-sill".
Nobody actually knows. Its all just clicks and whistles.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
Yeah it's sell.

But I have heard it being said both ways.

IdealisticSniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:11 PM
TBLbrian

the one thing I really have noticed and what has made me feel better about this is the vibe Cooper brings. He is very light hearted, happy, smart guy. Maybe this is what the team needs instead of intense, methodical Boucher. I really did like Guy and he will be a great coach in the near future, but I feel Coop will lighten the load on the guys.

TBLbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
dbieon12
Kelly Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLbrian View Post
the one thing I really have noticed and what has made me feel better about this is the vibe Cooper brings. He is very light hearted, happy, smart guy. Maybe this is what the team needs instead of intense, methodical Boucher. I really did like Guy and he will be a great coach in the near future, but I feel Coop will lighten the load on the guys.
That's the impression he gives me. I don't think he burdens the players with thinking about "the system" or whatever.

Cooper in his press conference mentioned that each player has a specific role on the team. X needs to score, Y needs to hit, and Z needs to block shots.

The players can focus on their individual game.

dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
Words cannot convey the sheer awesomeness.

Xenophobia Catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:43 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

Everybody chill. I got this.