HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The Seals - a brief history

Old
03-26-2013, 04:24 PM
SealsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
One of the great things about pre-Internet fandom: with so much less info available 24/7, it was feasible to do things like memorize the media guide
Exactly. And when you were a fan of a losing team 3,000 miles away that got very little national coverage (the west was a lonely outpost of hockey back then with all the teams clustered on the east coast), you devoured every scrap of information that you could possibly get. A press guide was like gold. So was the weekly Hockey News.

The Seals came to the Nassau Coliseum in January 1974 with two minor league goalies after Gilles Meloche and Marv Edwards were down with injuries. As they were coming out the ramp to the ice, I yelled out "Hey, Ted Tucker!" and I was probably the only person in the building who knew who he was. He looked over, just as surprised that anyone knew who he was! (he didn't get the start that night, Bob Champoux did)

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Yog S'loth

Needs more Charlie Simmer.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:41 PM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Exactly. And when you were a fan of a losing team 3,000 miles away that got very little national coverage (the west was a lonely outpost of hockey back then with all the teams clustered on the east coast), you devoured every scrap of information that you could possibly get. A press guide was like gold. So was the weekly Hockey News.

More on this topic if you will indulge me.

In this instant-information age, can you fathom waking up not being able to know how your favorite team did the night before?!

It happened occasionally. When the Seals were playing a home game and it was against a team whose radio station I couldn't get, the next morning I would turn on all-news radio and get the scores at quarter-past and quarter-to the hour.

Except that sometimes they didn't give the hockey scores. If it was a Monday after a day of Sunday football, there wasn't enough time to announce all the football results, all the basketball results and all the hockey results.

So hockey often got the short end of the stick.

Other times they would not give some or all of the scores, just because. Maybe they figured that no one in NY was interested in the results of a Vancouver-California game. Maybe the smoke signals that relayed the game result from the west coast hadn't reached the east coast yet.

So now my 15-year-old self is on edge because my team played last night and I don't know how they did! The 3 area newspapers didn't help, because they went to press before they got the results. So I would often have to wait for the following day's newspaper to get the game result!!

Yes, those were hard times. But they built character...

Old
03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
... yepp. Pouring over the box scores, often the only information available, nothing actually said, written. Just numbers. And if you had a vivid and active imagination, why, you could relive the entire game in your head with the Summary. Referee's, Linesman, Coaches, starting Goalies, Penalties-who-whatfor-when, SF/SA, Goals & Assists, attendance...

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:12 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

My Grandfather had moved to Ohio in the late fifties from Michigan and brought his love of the Red Wings with him. After I was born, I heard all the stories of Abel (his favorite) Lindsey and Howe. We went to a game about every other year or so, I got to see the old Olympia stadium a half a dozen times or so.
WJR brought the games to life for me. It was like being blind, late at night, LISTENING to the game, seeing the game through the voices of Budd Lynch and Bruce Martyn.
Yeah, Sealsfan, it was terrible trying to follow a game that got minimul coverage. Other than going to a game every other year or so, I actually only saw the Wings on Television a couple of times as a kid. All Star games were nice, I remember watching Reed Larson with pride, and Johny Ogrodnick.
It was not easy being a Hockey fan as a kid, I collected cards (Still Do) to learn different players for different teams. And rooting for a team that was wretched was difficult in and of itself.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
My Grandfather had moved to Ohio in the late fifties from Michigan... I got to see the old Olympia stadium a half a dozen times or so.
Well there ya go, and thats what its all about. I came across this some time ago, still's of the old Olympia taken by a couple of hardcore fans who over the years followed the buildings decay over the decades of disuse, abandonment & neglect. Hundreds of photo's actually, some just incredibly stunning. Half walls gone, the bowls with seats still intact row upon row upon row. Like a set for some post apocalyptic film. There are a few exterior shots here on this link, and unfortunately I cant seem to find the original that I surfed just a few months ago. I never visited the Olympia but I was certainly intrigued with Maple Leaf Gardens following its abandonment. So I'd imagine you too likely interested in what became of the Olympia, a touchstone from your childhood, perhaps invoking some wonderful memories.... this links going to require some navigation, no idea what the deal is with that, but good luck.

www.ballpark.phanfare.com/2667176

Old
03-27-2013, 09:35 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well there ya go, and thats what its all about. I came across this some time ago, still's of the old Olympia taken by a couple of hardcore fans who over the years followed the buildings decay over the decades of disuse, abandonment & neglect. Hundreds of photo's actually, some just incredibly stunning. Half walls gone, the bowls with seats still intact row upon row upon row. Like a set for some post apocalyptic film. There are a few exterior shots here on this link, and unfortunately I cant seem to find the original that I surfed just a few months ago. I never visited the Olympia but I was certainly intrigued with Maple Leaf Gardens following its abandonment. So I'd imagine you too likely interested in what became of the Olympia, a touchstone from your childhood, perhaps invoking some wonderful memories.... this links going to require some navigation, no idea what the deal is with that, but good luck.

www.ballpark.phanfare.com/2667176
Very nice, thank you for sharing. Hard to believe the Joe has been there for 34 years now, the Wings are wanting a new venue. Seems like just yesterday.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:29 PM
hitting hockey

my best memory of the golden seals is when defenseman george pesut laid out bobby clarke with a stick to the head causeing a bench clearing brawl. the flyers beat up pesut . but is was worth it seeing bobby clarkes head split open. clark was one off the diriest players ever to play

hitting hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Wizeman*

I listened to it on radio and then when the paper came out the next day I would analyze and memorize the standings, scoring race, goalies , you name it. Sometimes I would sit there for 2 hours on the stats page in the newspaper.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Sometimes I would sit there for 2 hours on the stats page in the newspaper.
Ditto. Pouring over articles, the Hockey News if you could ever find one (rarity), souvenir programs & the like. Back in the 50's & 60's there just wasnt a whole lot of books, publications. The radio & TV, dailies, and that was it.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:48 AM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitting hockey View Post
my best memory of the golden seals is when defenseman george pesut laid out bobby clarke with a stick to the head causeing a bench clearing brawl. the flyers beat up pesut . but is was worth it seeing bobby clarkes head split open. clark was one off the diriest players ever to play
It was defenseman Barry Cummins, not Pesut.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:59 AM
byrone

Quote:

In this instant-information age, can you fathom waking up not being able to know how your favorite team did the night before?!

It happened occasionally. When the Seals were playing a home game and it was against a team whose radio station I couldn't get, the next morning I would turn on all-news radio and get the scores at quarter-past and quarter-to the hour.

Except that sometimes they didn't give the hockey scores. If it was a Monday after a day of Sunday football, there wasn't enough time to announce all the football results, all the basketball results and all the hockey results.

Other times they would not give some or all of the scores, just because. Maybe they figured that no one in NY was interested in the results of a Vancouver-California game. Maybe the smoke signals that relayed the game result from the west coast hadn't reached the east coast yet.

So now my 15-year-old self is on edge because my team played last night and I don't know how they did! The 3 area newspapers didn't help, because they went to press before they got the results. So I would often have to wait for the following day's newspaper to get the game result!!

Well into the 1980's a local radio announcer kept announcing the previous nights scores with "California" instead of Calgary. The news printout he was reading must have just had the "Cal" letters and he obviously assumed it was California. Good memories.

byrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Giacomin

Quote:

Sportsphone with Howie Karpin!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote