HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re: Lowest Moment As a Fan Thread - A Story

Old
03-25-2013, 08:06 PM
SensRPureAwesomeness

vCash: 500
Re: Lowest Moment As a Fan Thread - A Story

After reading through the "Lowest Moment as a Fan" thread on the main boards and seeing the Friesen goal mentioned several times, I thought I'd share this story:

I was in Vancouver during the 2010 Olympics. A friend of mine works in sports sponsorship and through her connections, I ended up at dinner with Ken Daneyko and his wife JL. There were only 5 of us in the group and Daneyko and I were the only guys. Needless to say, I jumped all over the opportunity to talk shop. Eventually, I brought up the Friesen goal. Daneyko looked me straight in the eye and told me the following: When the doors to Jersey's dressing room closed; before any celebration for being ECF champs/heading to the SCF; the boys in the room agreed that the better team that series [us] lost that night. After Jersey went on to beat the Ducks for the Cup in 7 games, Daneyko looked back at the series against us and had no doubt that if we were the ones facing Anaheim, it never would have gone to 7. You should have seen my face. Daneyko must have seen "the old wound" opening right before his eyes because he then proceeded to remove his cup ring and hand it to me to try on. [It did cheer me up - super nice guy!] Anyway, seeing as how we eventually lost to a much improved Ducks team in '07, it really drives home what could have been that year and just how much that Friesen goal still stings. One last thing. Daneyko also told me that he knows GMBM really well, and that as a fan of the team, I should trust that he'll do what needs to be done to give us another shot at the cup. I'll be honest; I wasn't sold on that part at the time, but looking at what GMBM and company have done for this team over the last couple of years - and where we sit as an organization - I'm sorry I ever doubted KD.

SensRPureAwesomeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
That's a cool sorry. Still stings though.

Thanks for passing this along.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

vCash: 4734
I think that one's always going to hurt.

Especially considering what happened to Roger Neilson.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I didn't read your post (sorry), but I would just like to share that I cried HARD when Friesen scored that goal.

HARD. REALLY HARD. LIKE TEARS WERE FALLING DOWN MY CHEEK LIKE A WATERFALL.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:29 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I didn't read your post (sorry), but I would just like to share that I cried HARD when Friesen scored that goal.

HARD. REALLY HARD. LIKE TEARS WERE FALLING DOWN MY CHEEK LIKE A WATERFALL.
tl;dr for his post is:

Daneyko and the Devils went to the locker room after Friesen's goal and admitted the better team lost and that Daneyko thinks we would have beat the Ducks in less then 7 games.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:36 PM
SensRPureAwesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
tl;dr for his post is:

Daneyko and the Devils went to the locker room after Friesen's goal and admitted the better team lost and that Daneyko thinks we would have beat the Ducks in less then 7 games.
Excellent synopsis of my story. Admittedly, it was a little long, but you can't tell a story without...ummm...a story.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Cowen Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensRPureAwesomeness View Post
Excellent synopsis of my story. Admittedly, it was a little long, but you can't tell a story without...ummm...a story.
Yah, a WHOLE 7 lines! The story is great, thanks for sharing.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Greeningfan14

Great story!

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Synthetek

vCash: 408
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
I have quick Ken Daneyko story for you:

Years and years ago, my old company was working in his house. His wife came into the living room looking all over the place and asked us " have your seen my husband's teeth?" she then flipped up the couch cushion and found them.

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:09 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Ken Daneyko seems like a great dude. Thanks for the great story!

03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Pat Burns said the same thing, that we were due to win a Cup. Nice words from the victor to the defeated I suppose.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:12 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensRPureAwesomeness View Post
After reading through the "Lowest Moment as a Fan" thread on the main boards and seeing the Friesen goal mentioned several times, I thought I'd share this story:

I was in Vancouver during the 2010 Olympics. A friend of mine works in sports sponsorship and through her connections, I ended up at dinner with Ken Daneyko and his wife JL. There were only 5 of us in the group and Daneyko and I were the only guys. Needless to say, I jumped all over the opportunity to talk shop. Eventually, I brought up the Friesen goal. Daneyko looked me straight in the eye and told me the following: When the doors to Jersey's dressing room closed; before any celebration for being ECF champs/heading to the SCF; the boys in the room agreed that the better team that series [us] lost that night. After Jersey went on to beat the Ducks for the Cup in 7 games, Daneyko looked back at the series against us and had no doubt that if we were the ones facing Anaheim, it never would have gone to 7. You should have seen my face. Daneyko must have seen "the old wound" opening right before his eyes because he then proceeded to remove his cup ring and hand it to me to try on. [It did cheer me up - super nice guy!] Anyway, seeing as how we eventually lost to a much improved Ducks team in '07, it really drives home what could have been that year and just how much that Friesen goal still stings. One last thing. Daneyko also told me that he knows GMBM really well, and that as a fan of the team, I should trust that he'll do what needs to be done to give us another shot at the cup. I'll be honest; I wasn't sold on that part at the time, but looking at what GMBM and company have done for this team over the last couple of years - and where we sit as an organization - I'm sorry I ever doubted KD.
there was a documentary i saw a couple of years ago when they interviewed langenbrunner. they asked him who the best team was that they faced in all the playoff series and cup wins that he had, and he said that that ottawa team they beat in seven was the best.

that was our best shot. that was our cup to win. that was crushing. i still get emotional when i picture that goal.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Larionov

We may end up being like Boston Red Sox fans - when they finally won the World Series, a lot of them simply weren't sure how to feel. They were so used to being Charlie Brown trying to kick the football from Lucy that they weren't quite sure how to act when the moment finally came.

Tell you what - I have a good feeling about 2013-14. I think this team will have all the tools we will need to make a run. There are no guarantees, of course, as we learned this year, but if the injury grim reaper can stay away, this is a team that will be strongly in the mix...

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
tony d
The franchise

That happened around the time I became a fan of the team. I agree with Daneyko Ottawa was the better team in that series.

03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Don't remind me. Phillips' goal in game 6 was the moment when I knew I was going to be a Sens fan for life.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
BigZKingK

i feel like crying

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:17 AM
JoeSakic

Quite clearly the most prudent thing to do was to take down Daneyko's wife that night as revenge...anything short of that means you're not a real Sens fan.

JoeSakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
SensRPureAwesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic View Post
Quite clearly the most prudent thing to do was to take down Daneyko's wife that night as revenge...anything short of that means you're not a real Sens fan.
Tempting , but I can assure you, had I laid so much as a finger on Daneyko's wife, I would not be sitting here typing this message. I was nearly able to slide both my index and middle finger in to his cup ring. The dude is still built like a silverback 10 years after retirement.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:23 PM
mcnorth

That was the series where I gave up on hockey. "Let em' play." Ugh. Disgusting. Let em' play makes Colin White a more valuable player than Marian Hossa. I remember White just grabbing Hossa and holding him down, throwing him down. I quit hockey for a few years after having to sit through that.

Nice story. Good thread. Thanks for opening that wound. Probably the series that ruined the sport for me, and I say that without hyperbole.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

That story made me so sad!

Why did you do that to me?

GK is offline   Reply With Quote