HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Top prospects for Florida Panthers starting to make an impact in the NHL

Old
03-24-2013, 04:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Top prospects for Florida Panthers starting to make an impact in the NHL

Since the beginning of the truncated NHL season in January, several of the Florida Panthers prospects have had a chance to play in the NHL, and their experiences with the big club have helped to shuffle the order of the organization's top twenty prospects.

In particular, Drew Shore's success has lifted him several spots in the ranking, while others like top prospect Jonathan Huberdeau and defenseman Colby Robak have shown that their spots in the ranking are legitimate and well-deserved. Others, such as junior prospect Vince Trocheck and collegiate players Corban Knight and Rocco Grimaldi continue to fulfill their potential and demonstrate that the prospect pool is among the NHL's best.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Good read, thanks Brian.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:18 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
I think our top end talent isn't really as good as some think. Huberdeau withstanding, there isn't any clear 50-60 point forward in the system. I like Bjugstad very much, but we'll have to wait and see. Howden and Shore in my mind will develop into dependable utlity Forwards, capable of scoring 40-50 per year. Prefer Shore to Howden.

I remain skeptical in regards to Grimaldi and Rau. I like Trocheck but need to see him in the Pros before getting a grasp on where his offensive production lies. Knight is a quality utility player prospect IMO.

Kosov should remain in Russia for a few years. Prefer that over AHL time. Great energy and speed, but lacks the puck skills and awareness to be a regular contributor to be a regular Top 6 Forward.

Never liked the Brickley pick. Not sure he gets a contract. McFarland at this point is a bottom six project player. Size and skating may earn him an NHL job one day if he really really wants it, but disregard him as a prospect of interest. Hyman has a long way to go.

Good depth, but we really need Bjugstad to develop into a force.

Defense wise, haven't seen a ton of these guys. Matheson should be a solid NHL player, though you're looking at a solid two way minute muncher rather than anything more. Which is good from where we picked him. Skeptical of Bengtsson, don't think he'll be an NHL player. Petrovic and Robak should be NHL contributors in some form, but how big remains to be seen.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:48 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

There's no high-end talent on offense besides Huberdeau.

AaronEkbald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:50 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
There's no high-end talent on offense besides Huberdeau.
Agree. Guys with second line potential are there but nobody at Hub's level. So we will draft Jones.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Agree. Guys with second line potential are there but nobody at Hub's level. So we will draft Jones.
Kulikov and Gudbranson are looking great. Our D-core is set.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
They both look good. It takes time for young d-men to become quality d-men.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Erick

Quote:
They both look good. It takes time for young d-men to become quality d-men.
Lol, no they don't.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:20 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
They are having clear growing pains. Niether at this point is going to become an impact #1 defenseman.

I know people want offense, but it's ignorant to say we couldn't use Jones in a big way either.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I think our top end talent isn't really as good as some think. Huberdeau withstanding, there isn't any clear 50-60 point forward in the system. I like Bjugstad very much, but we'll have to wait and see. Howden and Shore in my mind will develop into dependable utlity Forwards, capable of scoring 40-50 per year. Prefer Shore to Howden.

I remain skeptical in regards to Grimaldi and Rau. I like Trocheck but need to see him in the Pros before getting a grasp on where his offensive production lies. Knight is a quality utility player prospect IMO.

Kosov should remain in Russia for a few years. Prefer that over AHL time. Great energy and speed, but lacks the puck skills and awareness to be a regular contributor to be a regular Top 6 Forward.

Never liked the Brickley pick. Not sure he gets a contract. McFarland at this point is a bottom six project player. Size and skating may earn him an NHL job one day if he really really wants it, but disregard him as a prospect of interest. Hyman has a long way to go.

Good depth, but we really need Bjugstad to develop into a force.

Defense wise, haven't seen a ton of these guys. Matheson should be a solid NHL player, though you're looking at a solid two way minute muncher rather than anything more. Which is good from where we picked him. Skeptical of Bengtsson, don't think he'll be an NHL player. Petrovic and Robak should be NHL contributors in some form, but how big remains to be seen.
That's still better than most teams. Yes, they are prospects so there's no guarantee, but in terms of prospects, we do have a lot of top end talent.

Quote:
Lol, no they don't.
They are both fine for where they are in their careers to this point. No cause to worry yet. Kulikov is 22 and Gudbranson is 20. If they are 24-25 and still haven't progressed beyond what they are now, then it's time to worry.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:43 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
If our d-core is set then so is our offensive core.. Ready to tear the league apart.

AaronEkbald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
That's still better than most teams. Yes, they are prospects so there's no guarantee, but in terms of prospects, we do have a lot of top end talent.
We certainly have a system full of depth with some prospects who will go on to be good NHL players, but i really don't think the top end depth is as good as some believe. Our system is up there league wide without question, but i get the feeling some fans feel as if it is better than it is.

I still question the 2010 draft to an extent. We're going to get hundreds of NHL games from it, no doubt, but it's not going to be the messiah either. We reached for Gudbranson. I was fine with that to extent, since you know he's going to be a physical dependable presence with leadership down the line and it wasn't easy to decipher who was the clear #3 that year, but there are going to be numerous players who have higher NHL peaks from that draft.

Bjugstad i love, but his offensive numbers are difficult to predict. Howden is going to be an NHL player, so i can't really complain given where he was picked, but i dunno, i'm not exactly excited.

The rest of the draft is somewhat up in the air. McFarland is a million miles away. Brickley is a million miles away. Not production type players. I've never seen Basaraba, but he isn't much of an NHL prospect. Brittain has had a really tough 2 years, and is very far away. Gallacher is in the USHL back from college, and is a million miles away. Donskoi isn't in the system anymore. Hyman isn't an NHL prospect. Durocher isn't in the system i think. Boyd is a million miles away. Petrovic i like, and is the lone brightspot outside of the 1st.

My feeling is we did ok in the 1st round. We didn't choke, but we didn't emerge with gold either. The rest really leaves a lot to be desired. We have a deep system, but i still remain somewhat skeptical about our scouting.

You take Jones if you have him as the best player from this draft. That is all there is to it (This isn't aimed at you MR). Our defense isn't stacked enough to simply ignore D if he's the best available. People keep citing Kulikov and Gudbranson, but whilst they are talented young defenseman, they aren't the ultimate building blocks. Kulikov doesn't seem to have his head in the game half the time and Gudbranson lacks the puck skills and confidence to really be an effective elite defenseman.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Regarding Bjugstad, Santos was saying that him staying at Minnesota this year maybe wasn't the best for him. I know he wanted another shot at a National Championship but do you think playing there on more year actually hurt his development?

-ghoste

Old
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I think Grimaldi is going to be a hell of a player on this team.

As much as I dislike the guy for how much he throws his religion in people's faces (believe what you want but it's no one else's business), he is a great hockey player. He goes to the dirty areas and isn't afraid to mess with the other team in front of their net, something we are lacking terribly.

He's also small, like a lot of the other successful guys breaking into the NHL. Guys like Gallagher and Conacher are small dudes who are effective because of their elusiveness.

I'm not saying he'll ever hit St.Louis numbers, but he has some offensive spark that this team is lacking. I do agree with a lot of you that we are lacking more dynamic offense up front. With our top pick I think we have to draft one of Mackinnon or Drouin because we need those kind of players. Chicago has Toews and Kane, Pittsburgh has Malkin and Crosby, Anaheim has Getzlaf and Perry the list goes on.

I think a combo of Hubs and one of Mackinnon or Drouin does that for us. I really, really want Mackinnon. I'm not concerned about his size at all. He's 5'11 and 180 at age 17 which is shorter but heavier than Hubs was at that age. I just hope every single day that we get that first overall.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Good read, thanks Brian.

-ghoste
Thanks, ghoste!

03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Regarding Bjugstad, Santos was saying that him staying at Minnesota this year maybe wasn't the best for him. I know he wanted another shot at a National Championship but do you think playing there on more year actually hurt his development?

-ghoste
I don't think it will hurt it. I think Santos was just alluding to the fact that he would have gained more from playing a pro season in the AHL this year as opposed to going back.

He also said that he expects all of our prospects to go through the AHL and prove themselves there first. Now Hubs never had to since he made the team out of camp, but they sent him back because of size. He will most likely never be in the AHL ever, so we'll see how they handle Bjugstad. Whether they want him up with the team or they send him to San Antonio to learn the pro game.

I think a lot weighs on what happens with the team during the off-season.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

-ghoste
That's a question no one will ever be able to answer. I think that had he gone pro last summer, he'd be playing for the Panthers right now given all of their injuries, etc. Still, he's had a solid year after a slow start, and will start his last Frozen Four tourney this weekend.

Brian Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
Man In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
I think Grimaldi is going to be a hell of a player on this team.

As much as I dislike the guy for how much he throws his religion in people's faces (believe what you want but it's no one else's business), he is a great hockey player. He goes to the dirty areas and isn't afraid to mess with the other team in front of their net, something we are lacking terribly.

He's also small, like a lot of the other successful guys breaking into the NHL. Guys like Gallagher and Conacher are small dudes who are effective because of their elusiveness.

I'm not saying he'll ever hit St.Louis numbers, but he has some offensive spark that this team is lacking. I do agree with a lot of you that we are lacking more dynamic offense up front. With our top pick I think we have to draft one of Mackinnon or Drouin because we need those kind of players. Chicago has Toews and Kane, Pittsburgh has Malkin and Crosby, Anaheim has Getzlaf and Perry the list goes on.

I think a combo of Hubs and one of Mackinnon or Drouin does that for us. I really, really want Mackinnon. I'm not concerned about his size at all. He's 5'11 and 180 at age 17 which is shorter but heavier than Hubs was at that age. I just hope every single day that we get that first overall.
I'm not bothered by Christians witnessing. For some, it's taught as a requirement. He's only doing what he was taught to do. I think it takes strength to do something like that in a world where people don't really like to hear about it. That aside, I hope he turns out to be a great player for this team.

Cats Kneading Goals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

You guys are right in saying that there isn't any elite scoring in the pipeline outside of Huberdeau. What they have, however, is the kind of talented, two-way players who compete on every shift, and a lot of strength down the middle. The still lack a top-level offensive d-man, though Matheson could become that if he gets his defensive play squared away. Bjugstad could become the kind of player that fans love and opponents despise. Trocheck and Knight have the work ethic that drives success, and both play a solid, 200-foot game. Howden is ridiculously fast, and Grimaldi might be among the best skaters I've ever seen. People say it a lot, but if he were 5'10 instead of 5'6, he'd probably be a top-ten prospect.

So, yeah, the Panthers lack an elite, scoring forward. But they can get one of those this year, and when they do, they'll have the foundation for a legitimate contender.

Brian Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
With our top pick I think we have to draft one of Mackinnon or Drouin because we need those kind of players. Chicago has Toews and Kane, Pittsburgh has Malkin and Crosby, Anaheim has Getzlaf and Perry the list goes on.

Yeah, we need a really good 1-2 punch. Also, some poster on the Prospects thread said that he's six foot and standing next to Mac, he felt Mac is slightly taller than him. Take it for what it's worth.

-ghoste

Old
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I don't think it will hurt it. I think Santos was just alluding to the fact that he would have gained more from playing a pro season in the AHL this year as opposed to going back.

He also said that he expects all of our prospects to go through the AHL and prove themselves there first. Now Hubs never had to since he made the team out of camp, but they sent him back because of size. He will most likely never be in the AHL ever, so we'll see how they handle Bjugstad. Whether they want him up with the team or they send him to San Antonio to learn the pro game.

I think a lot weighs on what happens with the team during the off-season.
Hopefully he plays in San Antonio like Shore did if timing allows this season.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
If our d-core is set then so is our offensive core.. Ready to tear the league apart.
I never said such a thing, to be fair.
I'm just playing devil's advocate for those so against drafting Jones. It seems like a good 3/4th's of the board is going to hate a potential Jones selection which is funny to me.

And my point is that our defensemen are just as proven as our forwards. If anything, you can clearly see that Huberdeau projects to be pretty special offensively. The D-core? Not really anyone there. Like, Kulikov and Gudbranson could develop into nice D-men one day, but do they look like future #1's? Not really. I don't think it's too early to tell on that either. Kulikov has been in the league for four years now and is still not given top minutes despite being on a ****** team this year. Watching Gudbranson play, he is still very raw offensively, which was a question mark with him since before he was drafted (and not the case with Jones).

You draft the best player available, whoever that is. Many think it's Jones. Many think it's MacKinnon. I'd have no problem taking either. Hopefully Tallon makes the correct call. I certainly won't be against his decision on draft night though, as I'm sure many will be.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Hopefully he plays in San Antonio like Shore did if timing allows this season.
This. I'd like to see all our guys go through San Antonio first.

-ghoste

Old
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
I never said such a thing, to be fair.
I'm just playing devil's advocate for those so against drafting Jones. It seems like a good 3/4th's of the board is going to hate a potential Jones selection which is funny to me.

And my point is that our defensemen are just as proven as our forwards. If anything, you can clearly see that Huberdeau projects to be pretty special offensively. The D-core? Not really anyone there. Like, Kulikov and Gudbranson could develop into nice D-men one day, but do they look like future #1's? Not really. I don't think it's too early to tell on that either. Kulikov has been in the league for four years now and is still not given top minutes despite being on a ****** team this year. Watching Gudbranson play, he is still very raw offensively, which was a question mark with him since before he was drafted (and not the case with Jones).

You draft the best player available, whoever that is. Many think it's Jones. Many think it's MacKinnon. I'd have no problem taking either. Hopefully Tallon makes the correct call. I certainly won't be against his decision on draft night though, as I'm sure many will be.
I think Kuli's minutes are fine. If Soupy wasn't here, I'm sure Kuli would have tops.

I'm for Mac but if we did take Jones, I'd then look forward to watching him develop with us. I trust Tallon's decision. I wanted Horton over Staal and Couturier over Huby but now it looks like I wanted the wrong guys. So yeah, whatever Tallon rolls with is cool with me.

-ghoste