HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Availability of Dallas defencemen

Old
03-24-2013, 05:09 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Availability of Dallas defencemen

Taking a look at Dallas' defencemen depth going into next, after the Morrow-Morrow trade

Going into next season they have (cap hits in parentheses)
-Alex Goligoski ($4.6)
-Stephane Robidas ($3.3)
-Trevor Daley ($3.3)
-Aaron Rome ($1.5)
-Philip Larsen ($1.025)
-Brenden Dillon ($0.9)

Then, at the AHL level you've got
-Jamie Oleksiak ($1.369)
-Joe Morrow ($0.894)
-Jordie Benn (UFA-to-be, but I'd bet they will re-sign him before he hits the market)
-Hubert Labrie (0.532)
-Jace Coyle (RFA, may not be retained)

Then, you've got incoming prospects
-Ludvig Bystrom (0.925)
-Patrik Nemeth (0.870)
-Jyrki Jokipakka (0.750)
-John Klingberg (0.870)
-Troy Vance (0.750)

Now, a couple of those prospects might stay in Sweden or the CHL, but you've got to believe Dallas thinks Joe Morrow will be ready sooner than later, so if you promote both Oleksiak and Morrow next season, you're at 8 NHL D-Men, which would leave you around 7-8 in the AHL (which is perfect, maybe resigning a guy like Maxime Fortunus), but 8 defencemen at the NHL level isn't ideal, especially when you're grooming young players like Oleksiak and Morrow, so I'm wondering if this deal doesn't create the likelihood of Dallas moving a defenceman this trade deadline.

Larsen and Dillon are likely off the table (Barring overpayment) as they're young and improving, as is Daley, in all likelihood. Aaron Rome was just signed and Oleksiak and Morrow are top prospects, so one would have to imagine that leaves Alex Goligoski and Stephane Robidas as targets. They both have hefty pricetags, but you'd have to imagine one or both could really help a contending team. Something to keep an eye on, at least.

03-24-2013, 05:15 PM
TOML

I see no need for Dallas to trade those targets.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Thanks for all the attention, but this team is trying to make the playoffs and the defense is paper thin already. Ideally Oleksiak will be in Cedar Park for at least half of next season, and Benn is an AHLer with a famous brother.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Robidas' price tag isn't that hefty, but he's probably next.

My personal (and we all know my opinions are completely insane) move would be Goligoski. In the future or for a better stay at home RD like Girardi...

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:21 PM
FrailSwan

Robidas will be the one going on defense.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:25 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
I think the Canucks would be interested in Robidas, as they really need a RH shooting defenseman, but they probably won't be the most competitive offer as he is 36 years old and has a significant cap hit.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Vitto79

J Morrow on D now

I would agree Robidas is likely gone

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:46 PM
LohPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Taking a look at Dallas' defencemen depth going into next, after the Morrow-Morrow trade

Going into next season they have (cap hits in parentheses)
-Alex Goligoski ($4.6)
-Stephane Robidas ($3.3)
-Trevor Daley ($3.3)
-Aaron Rome ($1.5)
-Philip Larsen ($1.025)
-Brenden Dillon ($0.9)

Then, at the AHL level you've got
-Jamie Oleksiak ($1.369)
-Joe Morrow ($0.894)
-Jordie Benn (UFA-to-be, but I'd bet they will re-sign him before he hits the market)
-Hubert Labrie (0.532)
-Jace Coyle (RFA, may not be retained)

Then, you've got incoming prospects
-Ludvig Bystrom (0.925)
-Patrik Nemeth (0.870)
-Jyrki Jokipakka (0.750)
-John Klingberg (0.870)
-Troy Vance (0.750)

Now, a couple of those prospects might stay in Sweden or the CHL, but you've got to believe Dallas thinks Joe Morrow will be ready sooner than later, so if you promote both Oleksiak and Morrow next season, you're at 8 NHL D-Men, which would leave you around 7-8 in the AHL (which is perfect, maybe resigning a guy like Maxime Fortunus), but 8 defencemen at the NHL level isn't ideal, especially when you're grooming young players like Oleksiak and Morrow, so I'm wondering if this deal doesn't create the likelihood of Dallas moving a defenceman this trade deadline.

Larsen and Dillon are likely off the table (Barring overpayment) as they're young and improving, as is Daley, in all likelihood. Aaron Rome was just signed and Oleksiak and Morrow are top prospects, so one would have to imagine that leaves Alex Goligoski and Stephane Robidas as targets. They both have hefty pricetags, but you'd have to imagine one or both could really help a contending team. Something to keep an eye on, at least.
I think you are giving Larsen to much credit. I like Joe Morrow more than Larsen. Bigger and quicker and seems to be able to score being a puck handling defenseman.

LohPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Djp

Robidas is the one that gets moved.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Daley, Larsen, and Dillon are the roster D that are safe, IMO.

Otherwise, I think Dallas would be willing to move the rest of their roster D.

03-24-2013, 06:52 PM
kimzey59

Does Rattie and a 2nd even get us a response as the base of a package for Goligoski?

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Does Rattie and a 2nd even get us a response as the base of a package for Goligoski?
He's a righty, hasn't been playing well from what I gather from Stars fans, and he isn't big. How exactly is he a fit?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Goose is a lefty. He's played like butt because we can't shelter him. I'd like a bit more than Rattie and a 2nd considering what we gave up for him.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:00 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
He's a righty, hasn't been playing well from what I gather from Stars fans, and he isn't big. How exactly is he a fit?
1) He's a lefty.
2) None of Dallas' D men are playing well. 16 points in 30 games is not poor production.

3) He may not be big, but he is very good offensively and a very under-rated shot blocker. I'm basically viewing him as a younger, more talented upgrade over Colaiacovo. Cola was fine most of the time, he just wasn't durable enough to log the TOI we needed him to. Goligoski can. If he came cheap enough, I'd certainly consider him.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:05 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
1) He's a lefty.
2) None of Dallas' D men are playing well. 16 points in 30 games is not poor production.

3) He may not be big, but he is very good offensively and a very under-rated shot blocker. I'm basically viewing him as a younger, more talented upgrade over Colaiacovo. Cola was fine most of the time, he just wasn't durable enough to log the TOI we needed him to. Goligoski can. If he came cheap enough, I'd certainly consider him.
I blame Yahoo lol.

Still don't think he is a great fit, definitely not good enough to give up Rattie.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote