DAL trades Brenden Morrow/3rd R '13 to PIT for Joe Morrow/5th R '13

Old
03-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
What is Lehtinen doing nowadays anyway? His wikipedia doesn't say anything about him post-retirement.
Watching Stars games from the suite level.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:04 PM
BigG44

I really hope this game is telling GM Joe the only correct answer for Joe Morrow is the Texas Stars.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 50
Quote:
What is Lehtinen doing nowadays anyway? His wikipedia doesn't say anything about him post-retirement.
I believe he's been coaching his sons' peewee hockey team or something to that effect. I remember last season they placed during intermission.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:32 AM
KiedisA

Quote:

He's with the Finlands national team doing some scouting etc.. He's been saying in a few interviews that the family still lives in Dallas and no worries to change that..

Last edited by KiedisA: 03-26-2013 at 11:43 AM.
KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
KHstrike

As with any rental type deals, the only way to judge this is how well the Pens do in the playoffs. Joe Morrow has struggled a bit this year in the minors, and we got some studs for offensive defensemen in Despres Pouliot and Maatta. I hope he works out for you guys, but he'll need more time in the minors.

KHstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Sick deal by you guys.. Joe Morrow is going to be a true stud.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:26 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHstrike View Post
As with any rental type deals, the only way to judge this is how well the Pens do in the playoffs. Joe Morrow has struggled a bit this year in the minors, and we got some studs for offensive defensemen in Despres Pouliot and Maatta. I hope he works out for you guys, but he'll need more time in the minors.
What part of his game needs the most work?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:45 PM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

watching the pens game online now
it's hard to see him out there still

aloonda* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
Need some new glasses? Or a new monitor?

Old
03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
HatchtrickBateman

Quote:
I watched in the first. Had a nice hit on subban, other than that he was just pretty average. Seems to be the view of pens fans as well

HatchtrickBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Primetimey*

vCash: 160
I caught the third, he touched the puck once the entire period.

Primetimey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:19 PM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Need some new glasses? Or a new monitor?
I advocated trading him for sure
doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to see him gone some

aloonda* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Enjoyed this gem from the Pens board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You didn't realize that Morrow was going to play on the second line?

Poor Geno. Sid's linemates couldn't create **** to save their lives, but at least they hustle and have speed to boot. For Geno, he's going to look to his right and see James 'Will I Be Lazy or Will I Skate Tonight' Neal. Then, he'll look to his left and have to deke five guys twice before Morrow catches up to him.

Like totally . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
Geno better practice passing to the late man on the rush.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post

Old
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
in backwards chronological order, i present Jonathan Bombulie's thoughts and comments on Country Strong Diamond Joe Morrow from the second half of the WBS season. most Pittsburgh sports writers are terrible but Jonathan Bombulie is pretty great. he's the WBS beat writer.

Quote:
It’s clear the Penguins have been trying to completely retool Joe Morrow’s defensive-zone game all season long. It’s very telling to see how Morrow described that process in a quote on the Dallas Stars team website …

Quote:
“I definitely struggled the first half of the season trying to find my place and find positives in what I was doing. They nitpicked my game so hard in the defensive zone that I had to change a lot of things.”
… versus how Hynes described the process after practice today:

Quote:
“I’d say the details of his game are important. As a young guy, that’s what he’s got to learn. The details make the difference. Stick in the air versus a stick on puck is the difference between a turnover and not.”
One man’s nitpicking is another man’s attention to detail, I guess.
3/16
Quote:
Smith scored the game winner with less than 10 minutes left. He picked off a clearing attempt at the right point and dropped a pass for Riley Holzapfel, who moved the puck to Joe Morrow at the left point. Morrow’s shot was blocked right to Smith at the right hash marks and he buried it.
3/13
Quote:
About a minute later, with all sorts of traffic in front of the net, Joe Morrow took a shot from the left faceoff circle that deflected in off Warren Peters to make it 3-1.
3/9
Quote:
Joe Morrow picked a corner with a power-play wrister from the top of the left circle and Kolarik’s shot off the rebound of a Grant shot banked in off Jayson Megna to make it 2-0.
2/27
Quote:
But instead of taking momentum from there, Christiaan Minella was called for slashing and Joe Morrow for high-sticking in the last 12 minutes of the second period. Brandon McMillan scored a power-play goal in the final minute of the period, setting up Norfolk’s third-period heroics.
2/24
Quote:
The Penguins tied the score less than five minutes into the second period when Tom Kostopoulos tipped in a Joe Morrow shot.
2/23
Quote:
When Chad Kolarik and Joe Morrow scored tonight to give WBS a 2-1 overtime win over Connecticut, I wouldn’t have blamed them if they took off their shirts or did that airplane-arms deal or danced the Samba with the corner flag.

Morrow’s game winner, with 52.5 seconds left in OT, was an interesting play. He’s got a great shot, so if Smith won the offensive-zone faceoff, Morrow was planning to blast a one-timer on net. But when the puck got to him, it was rolling. Rather than take a chance at fanning on it, which might have led to a Whale breakaway, he settled the puck and took a wrister. It made its way through traffic to the back of the net.

I thought it was a real good learning experience for a high-end talent like Morrow. In a tight game late in the season, sometimes you have to pass on the one-timer and just get a shot through. Here’s what coach John Hynes said about that:

“When you’re playing in those tight games, not just every goal matters. Every decision matters. Every puck play matters. Those are the things that help you grow as a team,” he said.
2/2
Quote:
As it was, the Penguins took the lead about eight minutes later when Joe Morrow took a shot from the left point through a tangle of bodies and it ricocheted in off Warren Peters’ pants. Morrow, incidentally has been a plus in each of his last six games
not the most useful allocation of my time, but what the hell - he's an exciting prospect with a great personality. sure, he needs a fair amount of work in his own zone, but it's not like he's as bad as Giggledrops.

Anyone who doesn't admit that he was a fan favorite is lying. make sure you follow his twitter account. here, i might be biased as he re-tweeted me when i tweeted that the Pens needed his shot against the Flyers in the playoffs.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:50 PM
SonicSpeedDash
All bets are off

Quote:
So basically Morrow is the same player regardless if he is with the pens?

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Remember that Neal had like 1 goal in 20 games after he was traded there.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:00 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Pens fans seem really down on Neal right now. He's been useless with Malkin. Just remember that next time we lament that trade, Neal isn't a perfect player either.

(still wasn't a good trade)

Old
03-26-2013, 10:31 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

Quote:
Pens fans seem really down on Neal right now. He's been useless with Malkin. Just remember that next time we lament that trade, Neal isn't a perfect player either.

(still wasn't a good trade)
I assume you mean without. I think that Neal's repeated success in the scoresheet convinced most of us Pens fans that Neal wasn't just a leech and had more to his game, but he's been awful with Geno absent. Like, shockingly bad. Niskanen, however, has been amazing for us. Thanks for that guy!

You guys got a gem in Morrow. Enjoy him and give him the correct development that he deserved yet didn't get in WBS.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:31 PM
HatchtrickBateman

Quote:
I advocated trading him for sure
doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to see him gone some
This. What I don't get is how some are so disrespectful about the guy. Ya you can criticize his game all you want, but a certain few on here seem to have a smug arrogance about it. He's gone! Most of you got what you wanted, you can say what you want obviously, but it's surprising the lack of appreciation or respect alot of posters on here have for him. His decline in play is a product of how he's played for this organization. People are just very quick to forget the past. Almost like a race horse owner. Love em while they're good, send em to slaughter when they're done

Old
03-26-2013, 10:50 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
This. What I don't get is how some are so disrespectful about the guy. Ya you can criticize his game all you want, but a certain few on here seem to have a smug arrogance about it. He's gone! Most of you got what you wanted, you can say what you want obviously, but it's surprising the lack of appreciation or respect alot of posters on here have for him. His decline in play is a product of how he's played for this organization. People are just very quick to forget the past. Almost like a race horse owner. Love em while they're good, send em to slaughter when they're done
I criticize him for his comments and actions, not his decline.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Interesting to hear from Nieuwy that Morrow has been whining about his ice time and role to Joe for a while. Leadership.
Don't suck and your ice time won't disappear. He's got no one to blame but himself.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:04 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
His decline in play was due in large part to his style. There was nothing about declining in play that had anything to do with yapping at refs and setting a bad example in that regard when he was looked to be the guy who kept everyone else in check. He took bad penalties at bad times. Then he complained about it all the way to the box.

He was my favorite player for a while but the way he mailed in the NHL season the year he played for Canada at the Olympics was beyond weak. It is what it is. If he had noticeably given everything in the tank the last few years and set a better example of professionalism I wouldn't have a bad word to say about him.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:05 PM
HatchtrickBateman

Quote:
I criticize him for his comments and actions, not his decline.
His comments about being traded or being put on the fourth line are really blown out of proportion. Not too many of you would be thrilled to by being told you're gonna be let go or transferred to a new location, when you want to stay there. As far as actions go, im assuming you're referring to dumb penalties, cant argue with that, although he did seem to have alot more " turn the other cheek" in him this season. And if any of you have played hockey, you know that almost every player has something to say after taking a penalty. But I'm sure everyone will disagree. We're all stars fans, it just honestly bugs me the way people go about it. I'm the biggest modano fan, and I felt similar when he was shown the door(moreso for the way many fans whined that he signed with the wings like he was some sort of traitor)but this situation is different, even I would admit mo didn't give close to 100% anymore. I wouldn't say the same about morrow though. Anyway, carry on. Agree to disagree

Last edited by HatchtrickBateman: 03-26-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

He deserves criticism for his want to, effort, drive, and leadership, or lack thereof the last two years. Whether it was because he was unhealthy or just physically unable to perform like he used to Morrow wasn't the same player but he whined, he complained, he took horribly bad penalties, and didn't lead his team anywhere but out of the playoffs. Then when his minutes reflected his play he complained in the media, pouted and played even worse. I appreciate Morrow for his play when he gave a damn but don't expect me to give a damn about him when mails it in and pisses on his own team and fans for the last two years.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote