HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Gerbe bemoans lack of playing time, being healthy scratch

Old
03-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
5'4" guys don't really have a place in the NHL... Should learn to ride a horse

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I love how Buffalo fans are constantly complaining about how lazy and heartless this team is, how they don't represent this blue collar, hard working, underdog town, but we are immediately ready to rip down the one guy on that team who represents those qualities more than anyone ever could. If he wants to play and he wants more playing time, good, he's a competitor. He should.
I couldn't care less if the players represented that or not. Just because he's Rudy Ruettiger doesn't mean anything to me if he can't produce.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:32 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
umm, no

the guy has gotten an opportunity and has shown he cannot produce at a top 9 level since his rookie year. He is small and can skate, that's about it..
In Stokes world he's right. He's dead on right.

In the real world, Gerbe has been given plenty of opportunity to succeed. And way more ice time than 5 minutes a game. And deserves to be scratched from time to time if he doesn't produce in some shape way or form. Along with others who have been scratched too on occasion.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I love how Buffalo fans are constantly complaining about how lazy and heartless this team is, how they don't represent this blue collar, hard working, underdog town, but we are immediately ready to rip down the one guy on that team who represents those qualities more than anyone ever could. If he wants to play and he wants more playing time, good, he's a competitor. He should.
I'm pretty sure they are "tearing him down" because he is blaming his ice time for his lack of production. Not because he wants to play more.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Right now he deserves more time than Stafford and Scott.... that is it.
At least Stafford kills penalties, plays good competition, and isn't a possession black hole. Gerbe just...tries to do things, but doesn't do anything all that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm pretty sure they are "tearing him down" because he is blaming his ice time for his lack of production. Not because he wants to play more.
And because he thinks he is playing really well.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:58 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Exactly. I'm glad he wants to play but the fact that he thinks he's playing "really well" is comical. His "hard work" amounts to facing over 20 more shots per 60 minutes when he's on the ice. The Sabres are getting killed when he's on the ice, plain and simple.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:17 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Per Bill Hoppe:

Not only does Nate think he's playing well--really?--but he thinks he's playing really well. Is this guy from outer space?

What say you, Ron Rolston?

Fair enough, I think most would agree with that assessment.

How'd Nate take that, Bill Hoppe? Maybe a cliche about how he has to put his head down and keep going, or execute better.

Oh, Gerbe believes that not only was Rolston wrong in scratching him, but he believes he should be receiving even more ice time.

Still, it feels like he gets a lot more than 5 minutes/game. If only there was a place to look that up...

Ah, there it is.

There it is again. The guy was blindsided by being a healthy scratch, and wants MORE playing time than the 12 minutes/game he's getting.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/slu...ns-for-sabres/

I can't imagine the organization likes guys complaining to the press about playing time. With Andy Strickland reporting earlier this season that Regier was trying to move Gerbe, I have to wonder if they're trying to audition him a few more times before the deadline. I think his days are numbered here.
Unfortunately he can not help this team and is not NHL caliber. This team is fighting in the standings for a reason and its from players like this.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
I love how Buffalo fans are constantly complaining about how lazy and heartless this team is, how they don't represent this blue collar, hard working, underdog town
I always laugh at this concept.

People are amazed that a team made up of 25-year-old millionaires doesn't reflect their rust-belt blue collar sensibilities. LOL

That's rich.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
I always laugh at this concept.

People are amazed that a team made up of 25-year-old millionaires doesn't reflect their rust-belt blue collar sensibilities. LOL

That's rich.
Are you saying that nobody employs players with that sort of play style? It exists, not every single player on your team needs to play like that.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Maybe he should try hitting the net.
He hits the goalie a lot from the blue line, way to the outside, and with no linemates near the net.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Daz28

Nathans lack of help is a factor. Playing him with Scott, Stafford, McCormick, Hecht, ect, isn't doing him any favors. The guy tries his heart out, and I'd bet dimes to donuts that's what he meant by playing well. If he(and I know he's had his chances) had linemates, he'd do better, but that might not even be enough. Bashing the guy for hard work, and skating hard with scrubs is kinda tough, too, especially when other guys with more potential/ability who aren't 5'2" ain't doing as much as him. His effort should be rewarded over anyone who's lazy. That's for sure.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Given who they've played with in the past, if anyone should be complaining about playing with a scrub--Gerbe--it'd be Stafford and Hecht, not the other way around.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:29 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Nathans lack of help is a factor. Playing him with Scott, Stafford, McCormick, Hecht, ect, isn't doing him any favors. The guy tries his heart out, and I'd bet dimes to donuts that's what he meant by playing well. If he(and I know he's had his chances) had linemates, he'd do better, but that might not even be enough. Bashing the guy for hard work, and skating hard with scrubs is kinda tough, too, especially when other guys with more potential/ability who aren't 5'2" ain't doing as much as him. His effort should be rewarded over anyone who's lazy. That's for sure.
Let's play a game:

Player A:
45.4% O zone start, 48.4% O zone finish. 0.32 Corsi ON, 1.611 GF/60 ES, 1.932 GA/60 ES,

Player B:

49% O-zone start and finish, -23.3 Corsi, 1.545 GF/60 ES, 2.43 GA/60 ES

Player A played easier competition but had a worse quality of teammate. Player A is Matt Ellis last season, Player B is Gerbe this season. To summarize, the Sabres scored more goals, gave up less goals, and turned a higher percentage of shifts into offensive zone finishes with Ellis on the ice last season than Gerbe this season. Also, their Corsi's aren't even comparable. Gerbe has faced higher competition this season but not enough to justify their discrepancies. This isn't to suggest that Ellis is good, it's putting in perspective how bad Gerbe has been. It's also hilarious that Stafford is being lumped into that group of players, those guys (notably Stafford and Hecht) should be complaining about playing with Gerbe.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Given who they've played with in the past, if anyone should be complaining about playing with a scrub--Gerbe--it'd be Stafford and Hecht, not the other way around.
I'm only going by this year. Hecht and Stafford certainly haven't played any better than him, and haven't put in half the effort, which is the teams main issue many nights. Letting the guys who aren't putting in effort(scrubs) only solidifies that it's acceptable, and it's unfair to their linemates. That's my point. If a guy plays hard, and can't make the cut, then fine, but if a guy DOES have what it takes, and won't give it to ya, then he's a detriment. Gerbe is NOT a detriment in that manner.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:34 PM
slip

Stop whining and do something about it, Nate.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Let's play a game:

Player A:
45.4% O zone start, 48.4% O zone finish. 0.32 Corsi ON, 1.611 GF/60 ES, 1.932 GA/60 ES,

Player B:

Player A played easier competition but had a worse quality of teammate. Player A is Matt Ellis last season, Player B is Gerbe this season. To summarize, the Sabres scored more goals, gave up less goals, and turned a higher percentage of shifts into offensive zone finishes with Ellis on the ice last season than Gerbe this season. Also, their Corsi's aren't even comparable. Gerbe has faced higher competition this season but not enough to justify their discrepancies. This isn't to suggest that Ellis is good, it's putting in perspective how bad Gerbe has been. It's also hilarious that Stafford is being lumped into that group of players, those guys (notably Stafford and Hecht) should be complaining about playing with Gerbe.
Let's stick with apples and apples(this year and this year, not this year and last year), and we can stuff the advanced fenwick corsis up our wazoo's too, because I know we both watch all the games, and don't need any stats to tell us what our eyes already saw. Gerbe is working harder than those guys. Is he a better player, prob not, but I don't want/need the lazy players near my hard working ones.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Good post, but don't bother with him. He's a guy who called Roy a "plug" and firmly believes it. I get that many don't like Roy, but a "plug?"
Stop being a liar, zip. You said Roy is a good 2c, and his 9.84goals/82 is just fine, because he does other things well. There's a word for what that guy is, it's called a 3rd LINE CENTER. Roy is a plug AS A 2ND LINE CENTER. So stop putting words in my mouth, and twisting and spinning it. kthankbye.

btw, nice personal attack. Real cool.

Quote:
Let's play a game:

Player A:

Player B:

Let's stick with apples and apples(this year and this year, not this year and last year), and we can stuff the advanced fenwick corsis up our wazoo's too, because I know we both watch all the games, and don't need any stats to tell us what our eyes already saw. Gerbe is working harder than those guys. Is he a better player, prob not, but I don't want/need the lazy players near my hard working ones.

Last edited by Daz28: 03-24-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Yet if his hard work amounts to less than those guys playing with "half the effort," why does it matter? My eyes tell me Gerbe is terrible, Hecht is filling his role (4th liner who is on for defensive purposes and PK) and Stafford, shouldn't be rotting on the 4th line or in the press box.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Yet if his working hard amounts to less than those guys playing with "half the effort," why does it matter?
It really doesn't matter, you're right there, they all need to go, but if I have to play someone, I'll take the guy hustling over the guy dogging it, just because he's bringing energy, and that's what you want from your 4th liners.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:48 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
It really doesn't matter, you're right there, they all need to go, but if I have to play someone, I'll take the guy hustling over the guy dogging it, just because he's bringing energy, and that's what you want from your 4th liners.
Personally, I'd prefer my 4th liners to not be liabilities on the ice like Gerbe is.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Personally, I'd prefer my 4th liners to not be liabilities on the ice like Gerbe is.
Well, we have no good choices, if you think Stafford is the lesser evil, then that's fine. I think it's basically splitting hairs.

Last edited by Chainshot: 03-25-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: QDP
Old
03-24-2013, 07:51 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
At least Stafford kills penalties, plays good competition, and isn't a possession black hole. Gerbe just...tries to do things, but doesn't do anything all that well.
Okay you're right.... just John Scott then.... and not even all the time.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I'll take Gerbe over Stafford and Hecht every single day.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:04 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
I'll take Gerbe over Stafford and Hecht every single day.
If you're pro-tank, you ought to.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
If you're pro-tank, you ought to.
Right now all three are pro tank, no matter which way you slice and dice it. If anyone came in here to defend Stafford or Hecht, they got alotta work on their hands.