03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...74947614887936

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1m
#yankees are to pay $13M of the $42M on wells deal thru 2014.

Wow, that is a lot. How does this impact their get under the luxury tax quest?
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 4m
Hearing #Yankees will pay almost all of $13M they r responsible to Wells in '13 so as not to put toward $189M payroll goal in '14

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 4m
Hearing #Yankees will pay almost all of $13M they r responsible to Wells in '13 so as not to put toward $189M payroll goal in '14
Thanks.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:55 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

I remember when Toronto gave Vernon Wells the money when he was being productive..
Once he got paid, the production went to the toilet.

The Yankees that desperate for bats? yikes

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:14 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yankees are clueless. They decided to take on Wells and $13M but didn't want to sign Martin and instead go with 2 stiffs behind the plate? Not to mention letting good depth guys like Chavez and Ibanez walk?

Baffling.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Yankees are clueless. They decided to take on Wells and $13M but didn't want to sign Martin and instead go with 2 stiffs behind the plate? Not to mention letting good depth guys like Chavez and Ibanez walk?

Baffling.
I am a Yankee homer but I can see the doom and gloom

It's just set up for disaster, injury riddled offense

They have pitching but they can't hit worth a lick

Last edited by Mike Emrick: 03-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:51 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I am a Yankee homer but I can see the doom and gloom

It's just set up for disaster, injury riddled offense

They have pitching but they can't hit worth a lick
Their pitching is good. But health is a question mark because 3 of their 5 starters landed on the DL last year and one that didn't looks like he's starting the year there.

They're old there too.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Dipoto is my hero. Guesses on money? 85%?
Seriously. Can you imagine the moment where it dawned on him he could get rid of that contract? Cant believe thats the SECOND time someone has taken Vernon Wells considering the tun his career has taken.

Extra Texture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

This isn't a bad move.

A part time player who only has to play part time until the walking dead rise?

Like the Yankees cant afford whatever his outlandish contract is? Yankees pitching will keep them in ball games and they have enough offense until they want to get another bat.

Good move, actually.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
This isn't a bad move.

A part time player who only has to play part time until the walking dead rise?

Like the Yankees cant afford whatever his outlandish contract is? Yankees pitching will keep them in ball games and they have enough offense until they want to get another bat.

Good move, actually.
You couldn't be anymore wrong. This is an idiotic move that reeks of desperation. They could've easily used the money absorbed on a platoon #5 outfielder on their starting catcher of last year, who was an all star. Instead they bring up a catcher who probably has ADD and the only good thing he can do is make goofy faces like this:

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
You couldn't be anymore wrong. This is an idiotic move that reeks of desperation. They could've easily used the money absorbed on a platoon #5 outfielder on their starting catcher of last year, who was an all star. Instead they bring up a catcher who probably has ADD and the only good thing he can do is make goofy faces like this:
This is NY. Who cares about money when they obviously don't?

Getting stability until their damaged goods come back is the bottom line, and on that note, they pulled another rabbit out their hat. Teams such as the Yankees, winners, aren't desperate during the final week of spring training. They have probably the second best rotation in the AL after the White Sox, they are in fine shape.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:42 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i think you must have been out back taking a wizz if you missed the yankees stingy offseason.

they were outbid by the pirates for martin. they're trying like hell to drop payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold by 2014 to avoid the penalty that would come with being over the luxury tax again.

and they're not particularly deep anywhere. sabathia and kuroda are good. after that, they're banking on pettitte to continue his handshake deal with the devil, phil hughes to figure something out and ivan nova to try to keep his era under 5. they have a good bullpen but i struggle to see how you're saying they're "fine" offensively.

gardner is probably their best hitting outfielder going into the season. their outfield is a mish mosh of gardner/boesch/ichiro/wells/francisco until granderson comes back. and even then, he's moving to left field and coming off an arm injury. so even when he comes back, how good is he going to be?

the infield is a mess. youkilis at third, juan rivera at first. derek jeter coming off an ankle injury should do wonders for his "defense".

it's not a good team. paying 13 million to wells and starting a catching platoon of chris stewart and francisco cervelli? please. i get what they need from wells; they need wells to be a right handed bat off the bench to break up the left handed monotony coming off the bench. fine. but to act like this is all part of cashman's plan when he's probably in his office right now wishing he could jump out of another plane, is silly.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Martini you are lost. They could have used the 13 million they sank in Wells and brought back some key role players from last year.

Chavez got 3 mil, Ibanez got 2.5 mil, and Martin is making 6.5 mil this year.

What would you rather have, those 3 or a waste like Wells?

Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Quote:

Getting stability until their damaged goods come back is the bottom line, and on that note, they pulled another rabbit out their hat. Teams such as the Yankees, winners, aren't desperate during the final week of spring training. They have probably the second best rotation in the AL after the White Sox, they are in fine shape.
I don't even think they have the second best rotation in the division. I like (if they stay healthy) Jays and Rays more.

Then add in all the injuries to their batters already..

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Martini you are lost. They could have used the 13 million they sank in Wells and brought back some key role players from last year.

Chavez got 3 mil, Ibanez got 2.5 mil, and Martin is making 6.5 mil this year.

What would you rather have, those 3 or a waste like Wells?
In fairness, Chavez reportedly wanted to move west (so the Yanks didn't have a chance of retaining him,) and Hafner is an upgrade over Ibanez (who was not very good last year, postseason heroics aside.) Letting Martin walk was stupid, I agree.

Obviously Wells is a desperation move, but what can you do? The Yankees' problems date back to long before this offseason -- they tied their own noose by tying up so much payroll in so few players, and the injuries to Tex and Granderson just caused a perfect storm of ****.

They just have to pray that their starting pitching keeps them in the race until they get some injured guys back, and that the rest of the division stumbles (which isn't that unrealistic actually.)

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Remember when Vernon Wells was good? Now he's a running joke.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

http://twitter.com/Deadspin/statuses/316212167319879680

Building a Baseball Team 101: Don't get Vernon Wells. The Yankees failed. deadsp.in/BCQCggT

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
i think you must have been out back taking a wizz if you missed the yankees stingy offseason.
Such lewd acts are beneath me, sorry.
Quote:
they were outbid by the pirates for martin. they're trying like hell to drop payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold by 2014 to avoid the penalty that would come with being over the luxury tax again.
I think Martin had more to do with him wanting out of NY then anything, personally.
Quote:
and they're not particularly deep anywhere. sabathia and kuroda are good. after that, they're banking on pettitte to continue his handshake deal with the devil, phil hughes to figure something out and ivan nova to try to keep his era under 5. they have a good bullpen but i struggle to see how you're saying they're "fine" offensively.
Cano, Ichiro,Youk,Wells,Gardiner. What am I missing?
Quote:
gardner is probably their best hitting outfielder going into the season. their outfield is a mish mosh of gardner/boesch/ichiro/wells/francisco until granderson comes back. and even then, he's moving to left field and coming off an arm injury. so even when he comes back, how good is he going to be?
Couldn't tell you until the games are played.
Quote:
the infield is a mess. youkilis at third, juan rivera at first. derek jeter coming off an ankle injury should do wonders for his "defense".
Youk isn't bad. He was serviceable last year on Gods Team while Cano is an anchor.
Quote:
it's not a good team. paying 13 million to wells and starting a catching platoon of chris stewart and francisco cervelli? please. i get what they need from wells; they need wells to be a right handed bat off the bench to break up the left handed monotony coming off the bench. fine. but to act like this is all part of cashman's plan when he's probably in his office right now wishing he could jump out of another plane, is silly.
Money being brought up means nothing. The Yankess have been bleating on about the luxury tax yet haven't had one issue spending money while doing it. If you need to get some heads to fill gaps while their stars get healthy, how is this not a good thing. And while I see more in the Yankees rotation then many here wish to, it doesn't hurt that those stop gaps offensively are experienced instead of trying to rely on kids who don't know what it takes to win in the biggest market in baseball.

Speculating is fun, but the Yankess are far from in rough shape.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Clowe Me

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Arod out the year (replaced by the never healthy youkillis), Jeter out, Tex out, Granderson out, I'd say they're in rough shape. The pitching is MAYBE third best in the division.

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:35 PM
canucksfan

Martini is hilarious, no matter what the position is, goes against the concensus.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:18 AM
sparxx87

Just came to laugh.. I heard the rumours but I didn't believe it...

Who would have thought that contract could be traded once, never mind twice?

I can't believe the Yankees couldn't find any better options. Cashman should get canned for his work this offseason.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:39 AM
SHAR KS
Choking Hazard

Quote:

Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, Fister, Porcello >

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Kadri 4 Hart

The AL East is sure going to be interesting...

Kadri 4 Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, Fister, Porcello >
CC, Kuroda, Pettite, Huges, Nova

Sale,Peavy,Danks,Floyd, Quintana

Old
03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Kadri 4 Hart

I'd say Detroit has the best rotation in the AL

And I'd also agree with the poster that the Rays and Blue Jays have a better rotation than the Yanks as well.

I think Tampa and Toronto are very close for the top rotation in the AL East for 2013, 3rd yankees, 4th Sox, 5th Orioles.

Last edited by Kadri 4 Hart: 03-26-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Kadri 4 Hart is offline   Reply With Quote