HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

Vernon Wells to NY

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
  #26
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...74947614887936

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1m
#yankees are to pay $13M of the $42M on wells deal thru 2014.

Wow, that is a lot. How does this impact their get under the luxury tax quest?
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 4m
Hearing #Yankees will pay almost all of $13M they r responsible to Wells in '13 so as not to put toward $189M payroll goal in '14

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
  #27
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
The best
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,153
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 4m
Hearing #Yankees will pay almost all of $13M they r responsible to Wells in '13 so as not to put toward $189M payroll goal in '14
Thanks.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:55 PM
  #28
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,647
vCash: 500
I remember when Toronto gave Vernon Wells the money when he was being productive..
Once he got paid, the production went to the toilet.

The Yankees that desperate for bats? yikes

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:14 PM
  #29
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Yankees are clueless. They decided to take on Wells and $13M but didn't want to sign Martin and instead go with 2 stiffs behind the plate? Not to mention letting good depth guys like Chavez and Ibanez walk?

Baffling.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:42 PM
  #30
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 203,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Yankees are clueless. They decided to take on Wells and $13M but didn't want to sign Martin and instead go with 2 stiffs behind the plate? Not to mention letting good depth guys like Chavez and Ibanez walk?

Baffling.
I am a Yankee homer but I can see the doom and gloom

It's just set up for disaster, injury riddled offense

They have pitching but they can't hit worth a lick


Last edited by Mike Emrick: 03-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:51 PM
  #31
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I am a Yankee homer but I can see the doom and gloom

It's just set up for disaster, injury riddled offense

They have pitching but they can't hit worth a lick
Their pitching is good. But health is a question mark because 3 of their 5 starters landed on the DL last year and one that didn't looks like he's starting the year there.

They're old there too.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:50 PM
  #32
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house
 
Extra Texture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: This is OUT HOUSE!!!
Country: Sark
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Dipoto is my hero. Guesses on money? 85%?
Seriously. Can you imagine the moment where it dawned on him he could get rid of that contract? Cant believe thats the SECOND time someone has taken Vernon Wells considering the tun his career has taken.

Extra Texture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:55 PM
  #33
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
This isn't a bad move.

A part time player who only has to play part time until the walking dead rise?


Like the Yankees cant afford whatever his outlandish contract is? Yankees pitching will keep them in ball games and they have enough offense until they want to get another bat.

Good move, actually.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:00 PM
  #34
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
This isn't a bad move.

A part time player who only has to play part time until the walking dead rise?


Like the Yankees cant afford whatever his outlandish contract is? Yankees pitching will keep them in ball games and they have enough offense until they want to get another bat.

Good move, actually.
You couldn't be anymore wrong. This is an idiotic move that reeks of desperation. They could've easily used the money absorbed on a platoon #5 outfielder on their starting catcher of last year, who was an all star. Instead they bring up a catcher who probably has ADD and the only good thing he can do is make goofy faces like this:

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:14 PM
  #35
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
You couldn't be anymore wrong. This is an idiotic move that reeks of desperation. They could've easily used the money absorbed on a platoon #5 outfielder on their starting catcher of last year, who was an all star. Instead they bring up a catcher who probably has ADD and the only good thing he can do is make goofy faces like this:
This is NY. Who cares about money when they obviously don't?

Getting stability until their damaged goods come back is the bottom line, and on that note, they pulled another rabbit out their hat. Teams such as the Yankees, winners, aren't desperate during the final week of spring training. They have probably the second best rotation in the AL after the White Sox, they are in fine shape.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:42 PM
  #36
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 20,256
vCash: 500
i think you must have been out back taking a wizz if you missed the yankees stingy offseason.

they were outbid by the pirates for martin. they're trying like hell to drop payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold by 2014 to avoid the penalty that would come with being over the luxury tax again.

and they're not particularly deep anywhere. sabathia and kuroda are good. after that, they're banking on pettitte to continue his handshake deal with the devil, phil hughes to figure something out and ivan nova to try to keep his era under 5. they have a good bullpen but i struggle to see how you're saying they're "fine" offensively.

gardner is probably their best hitting outfielder going into the season. their outfield is a mish mosh of gardner/boesch/ichiro/wells/francisco until granderson comes back. and even then, he's moving to left field and coming off an arm injury. so even when he comes back, how good is he going to be?

the infield is a mess. youkilis at third, juan rivera at first. derek jeter coming off an ankle injury should do wonders for his "defense".

it's not a good team. paying 13 million to wells and starting a catching platoon of chris stewart and francisco cervelli? please. i get what they need from wells; they need wells to be a right handed bat off the bench to break up the left handed monotony coming off the bench. fine. but to act like this is all part of cashman's plan when he's probably in his office right now wishing he could jump out of another plane, is silly.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
  #37
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Martini you are lost. They could have used the 13 million they sank in Wells and brought back some key role players from last year.

Chavez got 3 mil, Ibanez got 2.5 mil, and Martin is making 6.5 mil this year.

What would you rather have, those 3 or a waste like Wells?

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
  #38
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King
 
King Mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 23,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
This is NY. Who cares about money when they obviously don't?

Getting stability until their damaged goods come back is the bottom line, and on that note, they pulled another rabbit out their hat. Teams such as the Yankees, winners, aren't desperate during the final week of spring training. They have probably the second best rotation in the AL after the White Sox, they are in fine shape.
I don't even think they have the second best rotation in the division. I like (if they stay healthy) Jays and Rays more.

Then add in all the injuries to their batters already..

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM
  #39
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Martini you are lost. They could have used the 13 million they sank in Wells and brought back some key role players from last year.

Chavez got 3 mil, Ibanez got 2.5 mil, and Martin is making 6.5 mil this year.

What would you rather have, those 3 or a waste like Wells?
In fairness, Chavez reportedly wanted to move west (so the Yanks didn't have a chance of retaining him,) and Hafner is an upgrade over Ibanez (who was not very good last year, postseason heroics aside.) Letting Martin walk was stupid, I agree.

Obviously Wells is a desperation move, but what can you do? The Yankees' problems date back to long before this offseason -- they tied their own noose by tying up so much payroll in so few players, and the injuries to Tex and Granderson just caused a perfect storm of ****.

They just have to pray that their starting pitching keeps them in the race until they get some injured guys back, and that the rest of the division stumbles (which isn't that unrealistic actually.)

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:11 AM
  #40
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 16,071
vCash: 500
Remember when Vernon Wells was good? Now he's a running joke.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
  #41
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 203,266
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/Deadspin/statuses/316212167319879680

Building a Baseball Team 101: Don't get Vernon Wells. The Yankees failed. deadsp.in/BCQCggT

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
  #42
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
i think you must have been out back taking a wizz if you missed the yankees stingy offseason.
Such lewd acts are beneath me, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
they were outbid by the pirates for martin. they're trying like hell to drop payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold by 2014 to avoid the penalty that would come with being over the luxury tax again.
I think Martin had more to do with him wanting out of NY then anything, personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
and they're not particularly deep anywhere. sabathia and kuroda are good. after that, they're banking on pettitte to continue his handshake deal with the devil, phil hughes to figure something out and ivan nova to try to keep his era under 5. they have a good bullpen but i struggle to see how you're saying they're "fine" offensively.
Cano, Ichiro,Youk,Wells,Gardiner. What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
gardner is probably their best hitting outfielder going into the season. their outfield is a mish mosh of gardner/boesch/ichiro/wells/francisco until granderson comes back. and even then, he's moving to left field and coming off an arm injury. so even when he comes back, how good is he going to be?
Couldn't tell you until the games are played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
the infield is a mess. youkilis at third, juan rivera at first. derek jeter coming off an ankle injury should do wonders for his "defense".
Youk isn't bad. He was serviceable last year on Gods Team while Cano is an anchor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
it's not a good team. paying 13 million to wells and starting a catching platoon of chris stewart and francisco cervelli? please. i get what they need from wells; they need wells to be a right handed bat off the bench to break up the left handed monotony coming off the bench. fine. but to act like this is all part of cashman's plan when he's probably in his office right now wishing he could jump out of another plane, is silly.
Money being brought up means nothing. The Yankess have been bleating on about the luxury tax yet haven't had one issue spending money while doing it. If you need to get some heads to fill gaps while their stars get healthy, how is this not a good thing. And while I see more in the Yankees rotation then many here wish to, it doesn't hurt that those stop gaps offensively are experienced instead of trying to rely on kids who don't know what it takes to win in the biggest market in baseball.


Speculating is fun, but the Yankess are far from in rough shape.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
  #43
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 23,626
vCash: 500

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
  #44
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King
 
King Mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 23,802
vCash: 500
Arod out the year (replaced by the never healthy youkillis), Jeter out, Tex out, Granderson out, I'd say they're in rough shape. The pitching is MAYBE third best in the division.

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:35 PM
  #45
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 26,773
vCash: 500
Martini is hilarious, no matter what the position is, goes against the concensus.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:18 AM
  #46
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Just came to laugh.. I heard the rumours but I didn't believe it...

Who would have thought that contract could be traded once, never mind twice?


I can't believe the Yankees couldn't find any better options. Cashman should get canned for his work this offseason.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:39 AM
  #47
SHAR KS
Choking Hazard
 
SHAR KS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country:
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
This is NY. Who cares about money when they obviously don't?

Getting stability until their damaged goods come back is the bottom line, and on that note, they pulled another rabbit out their hat. Teams such as the Yankees, winners, aren't desperate during the final week of spring training. They have probably the second best rotation in the AL after the White Sox, they are in fine shape.
Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, Fister, Porcello >

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
  #48
Kadri 4 Hart
Registered User
 
Kadri 4 Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
The AL East is sure going to be interesting...

Kadri 4 Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
  #49
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, Fister, Porcello >
CC, Kuroda, Pettite, Huges, Nova

Sale,Peavy,Danks,Floyd, Quintana

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
  #50
Kadri 4 Hart
Registered User
 
Kadri 4 Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
I'd say Detroit has the best rotation in the AL

And I'd also agree with the poster that the Rays and Blue Jays have a better rotation than the Yanks as well.

I think Tampa and Toronto are very close for the top rotation in the AL East for 2013, 3rd yankees, 4th Sox, 5th Orioles.


Last edited by Kadri 4 Hart: 03-26-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Kadri 4 Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.