HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Giordanno + Babchuk to Pittsburgh

Old
03-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

vCash: 50
Giordanno + Babchuk to Pittsburgh

Shoring up the back end with a great two way defender with a good contract could really make a difference for the Penguins in my opinion, in terms of the playoff run. Looking at last year, that was their biggest issue. Babchuk slots in as an extra, he does have that booming right hand shot, and would be extra insurance against injuries. For the Flames, we'd still have Wideman and Bouwmeester, so we don't completely kill our defensive depth, but we add a really strong level prospect at the position, as well as a much needed first round pick. I also elected to want a 2014 first round pick, as if the pens took this deal after adding Morrow, it would really put them over as legitimate cup threats. So I'd be banking on the 2014 pick being a bit higher up then the 2013, plus on the Penguins side, it does give them the flexibility to have a year ot potentially replace that draft pick if they wanted, so they wouldn't be without a first that year.

To Pittsburgh:
Mark Giordanno
Anton Babchuk (Flames retain 1.25 of the 2.5 cap hit)

To Calgary:
2014 1st Round Pick
Maatta OR Pouliot (Penguins Choice)
Conditional Draft Choice (2nd if Pens go to SCF, 3rd if not)

Flames Maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:26 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

vCash: 500
the Pens would have to move two roster players to do that. i wouldn't do this deal anyway

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

I consider Babchuk as a throw in pretty much. We wouldn't get much of anything for him by himself, and those pieces for Giordanno seem fair enough to me. He's good, but good prospect and a 1st is pretty fair value for him imo.

Flames Maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think the Pens are done with trades that cost top prospects. I'd look for them to make a minor move for a D or 4th liner. Nothing too costly though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???

Yay to Girodano, nay to Babchuk.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:57 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I think the Pens are done with trades that cost top prospects. I'd look for them to make a minor move for a D or 4th liner. Nothing too costly though.
Kostka for a 2014 4th Rd pick?

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Anderson55

Why would pens need both, no way id do this deal.

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:28 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Why would pens need both, no way id do this deal.
Always best to have extra bodies before a potentially long playoff run. But Babchuk is really a throw in, don't know why that would kill the deal.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:30 AM
mwalluk

I like your spirit. Pens need to make a roster move before Malkin comes off IR.

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Meh, after watching Kostka this year no thanks. We have guys in the press box every night who have played better.

No to this deal. Giordano would be nice but there's no need for Babchuk even as a throw in. We are already looking at having too many players on the roster.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Giordano is one think, but guys like Kostka or Babchuk you may as well just waive yourself without them taking the detour.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanatic12 View Post
Shoring up the back end with a great two way defender with a good contract could really make a difference for the Penguins in my opinion, in terms of the playoff run. Looking at last year, that was their biggest issue. Babchuk slots in as an extra, he does have that booming right hand shot, and would be extra insurance against injuries. For the Flames, we'd still have Wideman and Bouwmeester, so we don't completely kill our defensive depth, but we add a really strong level prospect at the position, as well as a much needed first round pick. I also elected to want a 2014 first round pick, as if the pens took this deal after adding Morrow, it would really put them over as legitimate cup threats. So I'd be banking on the 2014 pick being a bit higher up then the 2013, plus on the Penguins side, it does give them the flexibility to have a year ot potentially replace that draft pick if they wanted, so they wouldn't be without a first that year.

To Pittsburgh:
Mark Giordanno
Anton Babchuk (Flames retain 1.25 of the 2.5 cap hit)

To Calgary:
2014 1st Round Pick
Maatta OR Pouliot (Penguins Choice)
Conditional Draft Choice (2nd if Pens go to SCF, 3rd if not)
This is a no. Still trying to juice top assets out of Pittsburgh I see. I see us dealing for a depth Dman, but not giving up anything significant.

Plus, with yesterday's deal and the return of Malkin soon, we have to either trade someone, send someone down or put someone on waivers. I have no interest in Babchuk whatsoever, even if we had space. Giordano would interest me, but ...

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Pass.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:15 AM
SaintMorose

I'd put Gior's value closer to Pitt's late 1st + Harrington (maybe squeeze a better prospect if Pitt isn't high on them but I doubt it)

so that would leave Anton for >3rd which seems way off

Either 6 or 7th round pick or a 6-7 Dman not in Pitt's plans long term if they feel his shot would add something for them. That or take him out completely.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Considering we've watched him get burned practically every time he's on the ice against us...a very definite pass.

On that note, Babchuk isn't better than anything we have right now either. Giordano would be nice, though.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
TieClark

Lol a 4tuh for Kostka... Try a 7th and the leafs eating the max amount of salary

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
I'd put Gior's value closer to Pitt's late 1st + Harrington (maybe squeeze a better prospect if Pitt isn't high on them but I doubt it)

so that would leave Anton for >3rd which seems way off

Either 6 or 7th round pick or a 6-7 Dman not in Pitt's plans long term if they feel his shot would add something for them. That or take him out completely.
Simple question for you.

Calgary fans seem to put an awfully high price on assets that should be moved - Iggy, JayBo, maybe Kipper, Giordano ... with these outrageous prices, shouldn't Calgary be challenging for the Stanley Cup?

Giordano - a first and a top D prospect
Iggy - a first and top top prospects
Jay Bo - a first and either a top or two top prospects
Sarich - I've seen someone wanting a first round for him
Butler - a second round

You get where I'm going?

Stempniak is the only good value I've seen and Flames fans say a second round pick.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:33 AM
JJTT

Letang-Niskanen
Orpik-Martin
Engeland-bortuzzo
Despres-Eaton
Dumolin-Reese

They need to move a dmen or two in the trade if they deside to something

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Simple question for you.

Calgary fans seem to put an awfully high price on assets that should be moved - Iggy, JayBo, maybe Kipper, Giordano ... with these outrageous prices, shouldn't Calgary be challenging for the Stanley Cup?

Butler - a second round

You get where I'm going?

Stempniak is the only good value I've seen and Flames fans say a second round pick.
you guys paid a good porspect for morrow... who has like 10 points this season (may i add dallas fans saying you could have him for a 3rd)
ppl are going to have to overpay for good players (and sarcih is worth at MAX a 3rd)

Last edited by Devilspuppet666: 03-25-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Simple question for you.

Butler - a second round

You get where I'm going?

You just gave up Joe Morrow for.... Morrow.

Its not us putting the high price, its your GM.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Simple question for you.

Butler - a second round

You get where I'm going?

To be fair, I think Gio is getting over valued here. I think hes likely worth a top D prospect + 2nd or 1st + 2nd, not both though..

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
SaintMorose

Quote:
Simple question for you.

Butler - a second round

You get where I'm going?

Honestly much of the team we've had on paper is as good as what we had on paper after our cup run in 04 and everyone was picking us to win the division and make it to the West semi final.

We have a giant hole at centre where our only 2 guys that can fill into the top 6 are too small to be the only ones there and as much as I like Matty he's not someone you want consistantly slotted in there.

We've had a string of bad coaching until Hartley this season (but new coach and players with no camp = unachieving).

So with everyone getting older and still no sign of filling those holes or figuring out what other problems are plaguing this team on the ice we need an over-haul in culture and that means half the current roster leaving would go over well with a lot of Flames fans.

edit: read what you have above for values and yeah we want a lot for guys who fill huge roles like Bouw and Iggy and we want good value for the guy who has been our top Def for 3 years until this one (Gior).

I'm shocked anyone has asked for a first for Sarich my guess would be one of '13 5th/ '14 4th
Butler is likely to be had for a depth swap a late 2nd isn't really asking a lot and that's the most he could really fetch

Last edited by SaintMorose: 03-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.
SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
you guys paid a good porspect for morrow... who has like 10 points this season (may i add dallas fans saying you could have him for a 3rd)
ppl are going to have to overpay for good players (and sarcih is worth at MAX a 3rd)
We still have our first; we didn't give up a second prospect and fetched a third round pick in return. We got a piece we needed in Morrow - a guy that is flexible to play on the second and third lines and a guy that adds a physical presence. This is what you need to play against the Boston's and the Rags and whoever else in the East.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:48 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
You just gave up Joe Morrow for.... Morrow.

Its not us putting the high price, its your GM.
If Joe Morrow was as high on the Penguins' management depth chart as far as its plethora of D prospects, Shero doesn't make this move. It's not hard to figure it out. It's not rocket science here. Obviously, we as fans, don't know how the GM views his prospects.

One thing Shero has developed a knack for is unloading prospects at the right time. Caputi, Esposito before and who knows about Morrow. But, its obvious he has slid down the D prospect depth chart.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
superstar1797

Quote:
If Joe Morrow was as high on the Penguins' management depth chart as far as its plethora of D prospects, Shero doesn't make this move. It's not hard to figure it out. It's not rocket science here. Obviously, we as fans, don't know how the GM views his prospects.

One thing Shero has developed a knack for is unloading prospects at the right time. Caputi, Esposito before and who knows about Morrow. But, its obvious he has slid down the D prospect depth chart.
This

superstar1797 is offline   Reply With Quote