HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs Thread - 8 games remaining (WE WANT PLAYOFFS!!!!)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2013, 11:09 PM
  #351
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade
 
nyiguy21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 50
If anybody is looking at the magic number thread beware that it is for hard clinches only. The Isles are in with 15 more points and 99% chance they are in with 14 or 13 more points(dependent on tie breakers).

nyiguy21 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:37 PM
  #352
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal
 
Hershey Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hershey, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
The more I look at the standings and everything, the less I'm worried about what others teams do. The way they are playing now, they will make it. As long as they continue to be consistent with their efforts, they can get in no matter what any other teams do.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I'm more worried about them being able to maintain this level of play than about what any other team is doing. If they keep doing what they're doing now, they will be in no problem, no matter what anyone else does.

I just hope they get a 7 seed or higher if Pitt finishes at the top of the conference. The Penguins are the only potential team they could play against that I'm not 100 percent confident the Islanders have a real chance at beating or at least making things exciting against in a seven game series. The Islanders have had Montreal's number all season and seem to know how to play well against them. I think the same can be said to an even higher degree about Washington/Winnipeg.

Hershey Hockey is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 01:04 AM
  #353
13th Floor
Registered User
 
13th Floor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post
This is exactly how I feel about it. I'm more worried about them being able to maintain this level of play than about what any other team is doing. If they keep doing what they're doing now, they will be in no problem, no matter what anyone else does.

I just hope they get a 7 seed or higher if Pitt finishes at the top of the conference. The Penguins are the only potential team they could play against that I'm not 100 percent confident the Islanders have a real chance at beating or at least making things exciting against in a seven game series. The Islanders have had Montreal's number all season and seem to know how to play well against them. I think the same can be said to an even higher degree about Washington/Winnipeg.
I'd rather play the Penguins than the Bruins. They will absolutely destroy us.

13th Floor is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:07 AM
  #354
LaddyBuck
One More Astronaut
 
LaddyBuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I'd rather play the Penguins than the Bruins. They will absolutely destroy us.
The Pens would still be a formidable opponent for the Isles, but I could still see the Isles winning a 7 game series. Lacking Letang, Neal and most of all Crosby, they just have to beat the Vokoun monkey off their backs. Stopping the Pens 20 years after the '93 series would be the definition of 'epic.'

LaddyBuck is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:32 AM
  #355
LeapOnOver
Lemieux who?
 
LeapOnOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iksan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
With the way the Isles are playing i'm actually a little annoyed they didn't try to bring in some more talent for the stretch run, EVEN THOUGH our chemistry is at the highest I've seen it in literally at least a decade. The first line will always be solid with JT but to see the 2nd line playing with consistency we've seen in the past and actually continuing it and being a force is refreshing. I've been impressed with McCasey Aucoin and their work and Martin always spearheads a good line. Just strong, powerful, dominating, hard working shifts and it's really a pleasure to watch. There are still some major defensive gaffs that are going to become more apparent in the playoffs as the more skilled teams capitalize on them. Also with a pretty weak PP we aren't doing ourselves any favors. All in all though, i'm really hoping some playoff experience comes with this team. People are saying they are only scared of Pittsburgh or Boston in the 1st round, but I would be scared of any team. We still have some glaring weaknesses.

LeapOnOver is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 04:14 AM
  #356
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls
 
Killerlnstinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 10,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
The only thing that worries me is these next 3 games. Another must win Tuesday VS Philly and then Boston and the Rags. I'm hoping 1-1-1 but to be honest we might have just as good as a shot to beat Boston as we do the Rangers right now. We have played so well but if we F'UP these next 3 games we will be looking in from the outside once again.
Bottom line is we need to take care of our business, and again these 3 games really concern me. Prove me wrong please and take 2/3!

Tonight's game(s) of interest are:
Rags at Leafs 7pm

The Rags game tonight will be there game in hand. If they lose we are tied in points but at the moment the have the tie breaker 5-3 in points against.

EDIT:
TIEBREAKER
In the event teams are tied in the standings, the following tiebreakers are applied to determine which team receives the higher seeding.

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won (not including games won in a shootout).
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. Goal differential.

Thu, Feb 7 @ NY Rangers L 4-1
Thu, Feb 14 @ NY Rangers W 4-3 SO
Thu, Mar 7 vs NY Rangers L 2-1 OT


Last edited by Killerlnstinct: 04-08-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Killerlnstinct is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 04:39 AM
  #357
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
The Rags game tonight will be there game in hand. If they lose we are tied in points but at the moment the have the tie breaker 5-3 in points against.
Actually they have us beat on the basis of goals for/goals against.

In terms games played head to head, if both teams play an odd number of games you ignore the first game played at the team that has more home games, in which case we would be tied 3-3. We have to basically beat the Rangers in regulation Saturday to have that tie breaker be equal come season's end(in which case we have to overcome a 8 goal differential in gf/ga).

In all likelyhood the Rangers will have tie breaker advantage over us unless they win in more shoutouts or get a couple OT loses more then us, I am guessing the gf/ga(#4) tie breaker advantage is to hard to catch up to at this point

boredmale is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 06:33 AM
  #358
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 12,040
vCash: 500
A lot of us are getting ahead of ourselves, which is completely understandable.
Yeah, the next 3 games are crucial and a 1-2-0 record as a worst result would be very helpful. I do not want to start handicapping what our chances are in the playoffs until we actually get there, and while I want us to make it, all the way to 6 if we can, a 9th finish while disappointing will be a positive sign of arrival on the doorstep.
What will matter most is HOW we play there remaining games. The way the races are set up, with the loser points, nothing less than full out intensity and sacrifice is required. This is playoff hockey right now, 60 full minutes (or 65 if needed) to win every battle, every shift. I will only be disappointed if we dont go full out every shift and every game.
We have gotten here the past 1o games without a major contribution from our best player. IDK what has been wrong with him, but hopefully he shakes it off and takes charge, leads us to where we want to go. Tavares is overdue to start putting up meaningful points in meaningful games. If he and MM26 can get it going, and the Frans line and others continue to surge, we will be a for real team. Nabby really seems to be a cool customer with his head on straight and looking forward to each challenge.
This is in our hands now. 6-3 should do it.
LGI!!

BillD is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 06:37 AM
  #359
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Listening to one of the broadcasters last night, he was saying that 54 pts was the magic number to have a chance of getting into the playoffs. That would mean we have to win 6 of the last 9 and hope we can win the tie breaker.

bigd is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 07:16 AM
  #360
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 12,040
vCash: 500
Cappy better have the team prepared for the Philly game. Even though Philly has been a real problem for us in years past, we can win this one. Philly is not really a playoff team this year, they have multiple problems, but they always play the same style, which is they come at you like vicious junk yard dogs, battling for every inch of ice. They tend to run a lot of picks and obstructions, and throw pucks in front on angles a lot to try for deflections by cutting players sticks. Players like Hartnell, Simmonds, B. Schenn will camp out in Nabby's crease and bump him.
Their skill level, especially on defense is well below most years, and Bryz can be a flake or throw up a wall, depends.
They have a very productive power play but the team is prone to loads of turnovers.
Cappy has to get them ready to play against Philly-style (and Lavvy style) aggressiveness, take advantage of power plays (they take a lot of minors) and turnovers, not back off physically. Possibly Cappy might want to dress a "big" line-up" which would include Yessi, maybe Boulton, sit Aucoin and Reasoner. Lee should be sent out on short shifts with one instruction...bang bodies as hard as you can, get back to the bench quickly.
With the B's and Rags coming up, we have to win this one. I see a lot of F'er games living in their area so I know waht to expect. They will nt back down although their recent 4 game winning streak were last second ties, win in shoot out, and featured many goals off skates and own goals by opposing team. They are not that good, but we can't look past them as they will play like animals.

BillD is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 07:38 AM
  #361
glubrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Let's stop worrying about these games and start enjoying them since our boys on the ice seem to be...

glubrat is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
  #362
Bunk Moreland
Registered User
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 14,064
vCash: 50
Lets go leafs tonight!

Bunk Moreland is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
  #363
redbull
2k17
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,343
vCash: 500
we are starting to see a team that, if they're on their game, they are tough to beat. Against any opponent.

What impresses me the most is how well the defense moves the puck, crisp passes out of the zone. Only the first line, and the 4th line on occasion, get pinned in their own zone for extended time (which only leads to bad penalties (Boyes), turnovers and goals against! The Nielsen line though, they are hardly ever in their own end and they play against the top lines - they've been amazing.

That kind of pesky, efficient game is very MTL-Canadians-esque - which is kind of ironic since I'd pointed out earlier this season how the NYI DIDN'T play like that. And blamed Capuano. So maybe coach Cappy needs credit now?

Hickey and Martinek (as opposed to Carkner/Finley) make for a very strong group of puck-movers. The whole group is very good at eluding the forecheck and buying time to make a smart pass. I'd say AMac and Hamonic have been the worst two, this season, but they do play the toughest minutes and have been much better in the last dozen games or so.

Bottom line, I think the Islanders can beat anyone in the conference when they are playing well. Besides PIT/BOS, I'd say the NYI can play with anyone else regardless of how well the opponent's playing.

Let's keep this going.

redbull is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  #364
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 7,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
we are starting to see a team that, if they're on their game, they are tough to beat. Against any opponent.

What impresses me the most is how well the defense moves the puck, crisp passes out of the zone. Only the first line, and the 4th line on occasion, get pinned in their own zone for extended time (which only leads to bad penalties (Boyes), turnovers and goals against! The Nielsen line though, they are hardly ever in their own end and they play against the top lines - they've been amazing.

That kind of pesky, efficient game is very MTL-Canadians-esque - which is kind of ironic since I'd pointed out earlier this season how the NYI DIDN'T play like that. And blamed Capuano. So maybe coach Cappy needs credit now?

Hickey and Martinek (as opposed to Carkner/Finley) make for a very strong group of puck-movers. The whole group is very good at eluding the forecheck and buying time to make a smart pass. I'd say AMac and Hamonic have been the worst two, this season, but they do play the toughest minutes and have been much better in the last dozen games or so.

Bottom line, I think the Islanders can beat anyone in the conference when they are playing well. Besides PIT/BOS, I'd say the NYI can play with anyone else regardless of how well the opponent's playing.

Let's keep this going.
The turnaround has been amazing. The problem all year has been playing defense and collapsing in the third period.

Over the last 8 games, the team has given up more than 2 goals once (the 4-3 shootout win over Philly). That Philly game was also the only one of those games where the team gave up more than 27 shots. And the team has outscored its opponent in every one of those games except for the Pittsburgh loss.

If they can continue to play like this, they will make the playoffs.

kasper11 is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
  #365
IceAce
Strait Trippin'
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,150
vCash: 13477
Next 3 games are going to tell us a lot about how far the Isles have really come. Philly and the Rags always play us tough at NVMC, and Boston is Boston.

We need at minimum 3 points in the next 3 games.

Also, forgive me for this, but for the next 3 days at least "GO LEAFS GO!"

IceAce is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 01:36 PM
  #366
enigmatic
Fire me please
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 5,504
vCash: 500
not really sure where to put this, but fyi tickets are getting very expensive for 4/13 versus NYR....cheapest tickets on stubhub are 100 plus fees.....get on it soon as i see them continuing to rise...biggest game in the rivalry in about 10 years id say

enigmatic is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 01:45 PM
  #367
lorwood
Registered User
 
lorwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
not really sure where to put this, but fyi tickets are getting very expensive for 4/13 versus NYR....cheapest tickets on stubhub are 100 plus fees.....get on it soon as i see them continuing to rise...biggest game in the rivalry in about 10 years id say
If each team wins one more before Saturday the game becomes huge!

BTW I would love to go tomorrow vs Philly but I need the tickets to be as cheap as possible. Should I wait until tomorrow to buy from Stubhub?

lorwood is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
  #368
bvon44
Registered User
 
bvon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
If each team wins one more before Saturday the game becomes huge!

BTW I would love to go tomorrow vs Philly but I need the tickets to be as cheap as possible. Should I wait until tomorrow to buy from Stubhub?
Honestly, I would buy them now, I bought my tickets for tomorrow on the 1st for $12, those same tickets are in the high twenties, low thirties now, so the prices are increasing as the game gets closer!

bvon44 is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
  #369
enigmatic
Fire me please
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 5,504
vCash: 500
i wonder what the attendance will be tomorrow....any chance u think itll be over 13k?

enigmatic is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:03 PM
  #370
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,460
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
The Pens would still be a formidable opponent for the Isles, but I could still see the Isles winning a 7 game series. Lacking Letang, Neal and most of all Crosby, they just have to beat the Vokoun monkey off their backs. Stopping the Pens 20 years after the '93 series would be the definition of 'epic.'
If the isles were to get in and play the Pens, do you think they play the percentages and start Vokoun? losing to the 7/8 seed bc you started your (highly capable) backup against the Isles over your cup winning netminder would probably have big time backlash.

i do like the parallel of barasso being a lefty and vokoun being one as well though.

isles31 is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  #371
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,460
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
not really sure where to put this, but fyi tickets are getting very expensive for 4/13 versus NYR....cheapest tickets on stubhub are 100 plus fees.....get on it soon as i see them continuing to rise...biggest game in the rivalry in about 10 years id say
got a block of 15 tix with my brother and all of our friends back when the season started. Its going to be AWESOME to play them this late and it be so meaningful for both teams.

isles31 is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:12 PM
  #372
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
not really sure where to put this, but fyi tickets are getting very expensive for 4/13 versus NYR....cheapest tickets on stubhub are 100 plus fees.....get on it soon as i see them continuing to rise...biggest game in the rivalry in about 10 years id say
it's the building's fault. No one wants to go to that dump.

Imagine....you win and not only do we sell tickets, we price them out of the stratosphere compared to when we just perform a cap maintenance endeavor.

I am thrilled they're winning. Finally. Now do it right next year and get some talent to replace Streit and Boyes. Tickets will never be $1 again, unfortunately for some. I'd like ONE season to see what a good hockey team could do in revenue there before we're gone, just for irony's sake.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:12 PM
  #373
PK Cronin
Moderator
Bailey Fan Club Prez
 
PK Cronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
If each team wins one more before Saturday the game becomes huge!

BTW I would love to go tomorrow vs Philly but I need the tickets to be as cheap as possible. Should I wait until tomorrow to buy from Stubhub?
The sooner the better on Stubhub unless they collapse and the games become meaningless.

PK Cronin is online now  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:13 PM
  #374
I Like You
Didact is MIA maggot
 
I Like You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In A Lonely Corner
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Next 3 games are going to tell us a lot about how far the Isles have really come. Philly and the Rags always play us tough at NVMC, and Boston is Boston.

We need at minimum 3 points in the next 3 games.

Also, forgive me for this, but for the next 3 days at least "GO LEAFS GO!"
consider yourselves lucky that you don't have to watch Rangers hockey for 2 games in a row (coming from a leaf fan).

I Like You is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:14 PM
  #375
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
got a block of 15 tix with my brother and all of our friends back when the season started. Its going to be AWESOME to play them this late and it be so meaningful for both teams.
if things got hot by then and you could turn $150 into $1500, would you? That's drinks all night for everyone in a local pub with the game and food, cab rides.....this says volumes about where our team is right now. All from an investment in drek.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.