HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brownlee stiring the Comrie pot (again)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2003, 09:23 AM
  #1
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Brownlee stiring the Comrie pot (again)

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030923/nhl_edm2-sun.html

It's one thing for us fans to be talking about the Comrie situation like we know what's going on and making up crazy trade rumours but it's another thing for a sports writer like Robin Brownlee to stir the pot and make it look like Comrie wants out of Edmonton.

Give me a break! Unfortunately some people who read this article will instantly assume he's right.

of course agents don't want their players talking as it might jeopardize negotiations.
and of course Lowe is playing hardball because he can. he's got the time and a surplus of quality players.

ok, Comrie wants a raise and didn't prove that he deserves with his play last season but it's another thing to say he doesn't want to play here. He was born and raised on Oiler hockey. He's just doing exactly what Havlat is doing in Ottawa: holding out for Brad Richards money because this is his first "real" NHL contract and he wants security if there's a lockout.

He was smart to leave town to avoid all the sports writers who like to plant seeds of dissention for the sake of selling newspapers. for Brownlee to say so matter-of-factly: "Talk persists Comrie remains bitter about being criticized.", borders on liable. I think Comrie is a little more thick-skinned than people give him credit for. Boy it's a good thing Slats isn't around anymore or players would leave crying in Brownlee's opion.

shame on Brownlee...

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 09:31 AM
  #2
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
When this is all done and Comrie is traded for Scott Hartnell, imo Lowe and company will go at least partially public on this one. I know we can't find 20 quotes from Comrie saying he wants to go, but this rumor has shown up way too much to be pure fabrication.

as g2k is fond of saying, where there's smoke there's fire. And if the line
"Talk persists Comrie remains bitter about being criticized" borders on libel, then the Sun and Journal will be shut down by the all star break.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 09:40 AM
  #3
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
When this is all done and Comrie is traded for Scott Hartnell, imo Lowe and company will go at least partially public on this one. I know we can't find 20 quotes from Comrie saying he wants to go, but this rumor has shown up way too much to be pure fabrication.

as g2k is fond of saying, where there's smoke there's fire. And if the line
"Talk persists Comrie remains bitter about being criticized" borders on libel, then the Sun and Journal will be shut down by the all star break.
I think Brownlee makes a very good point. If Comrie wanted to stay in Edmonton, wouldn't he say it.

Smyth stated he badly wanted to stay in Edmonton long before he signed a contract. Same applies for Ethan Moreau, and Georges Laraque this offseason. Comrie has been silent.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 09:48 AM
  #4
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
you're right that line was a little much...

I see that the Edmonton sports writers have you hook, line and sinker...

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 10:00 AM
  #5
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
When this is all done and Comrie is traded for Scott Hartnell...
You think? I'd have thought that role is filled now with Torres on board. I'd be more interested in David Legwand I think. Hartnell is a good player though too that's for sure.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 10:21 AM
  #6
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
The one that has me wondering is Jake Daniels on 1260 saying that Comrie just didn't seem to be having a lot of fun last season. Daniels isn't exactly a sports journalist, but that's kind of the clincher for me.

Sports journalists ask sports questions, and athletes give the usual answers. Jake kind of interacts with athletes at a more "regular guys" type level. He said that usually Mike is a fun-loving guy, but this past season there were a times when Comrie wouldn't even crack a smile. That has me thinking that there could definitely be something to the theory that he just doesn't want to be under the microscope in Edmonton any longer.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 10:33 AM
  #7
Aziolkowski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Aziolkowski
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
You think? I'd have thought that role is filled now with Torres on board. I'd be more interested in David Legwand I think. Hartnell is a good player though too that's for sure.
I think either hartnell or ledgwand would be awsome but if we got hartnell it would be nice if we got a low pick on top of it. I never really considered it before but hartnell has a lot of skill as well he definitly has some good upside.

Aziolkowski is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 10:35 AM
  #8
mudcrutch79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Big Smoke
Posts: 3,903
vCash: 500
Just a comment on the "If Comrie wanted to be here, he'd say so" line of thinking. If Comrie wants to both be here, and get paid, he'd be an idiot to announce that he's desperate to stay here. All that would do is take the legs out from under Rich Winter as he battles K-Lo.

Think of Ray Bourque in the late eighties and most of the nineties, when the Bruins knew he loved playing there and wanted to stay. He had less leverage because of it.

mudcrutch79 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 10:36 AM
  #9
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
I guess my take on it all is that Comrie knew he'd be under the microscope from the beginning since he pretty much "replaced" Doug Weight and he comes from money. Comrie has excelled at every level. sure it sucks to be centered out but I don't think he's going to leave town with his tail between his legs because of it.

when Comrie came to camp he showed he wanted to be here. the fact that management sent him home is just more negotiating power for Lowe and co. the better Comrie does at camp just helps his own cause for a raise. teams use this tactic all the time. it's easier to prove your worth when your on the ice and he can't do that BECAUSE HE WAS LOCKED OUT. simple as that. Lowe has ALL the power. Comrie will be lucky to sign for 1 year at $2.5M

my question is why are so many fans pulling for him to be traded? (especially for players who don't even compare to his talent level)

Boyton? Hartnell? come on.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 10:51 AM
  #10
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
...Lowe has ALL the power. Comrie will be lucky to sign for 1 year at $2.5M

my question is why are so many fans pulling for him to be traded? (especially for players who don't even compare to his talent level)

Boyton? Hartnell? come on.
because 2.5 million for one year is WAY too much for comrie and yet i'm sure that is what is is asking for... you answered your own question.

if the oilers were offering 2.5 mil a season i guarantee comrie would be on the ice right now and we would all be livid with lowe for putting forward such an idiotic comtract.

comrie is worth (as a young rfa with no leverage) roughly 1.5-1.7 million this season. anything more is wrong. the last thing we need is for lowe to pull a craig button and pay his rfa's stupid money. reference jerome iginla & the flames org in general for more information what that type of idiocy will get you - specifically, you won't see them in the playoffs for the last 7 years.

i'm pulling for him to be traded because he is a wasted commodity while he sits out. if he signs, fine. if not, then he needs to be moved for someone that will.

LawnDemon is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 11:03 AM
  #11
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
the last thing we need is for lowe to pull a craig button and pay his rfa's stupid money. reference jerome iginla & the flames org .
comparing Iginla and Comrie is like apples to oranges...

isn't Iginla making something like $7M this year? he's the franchise there.

we don't really have a player who would compare. (although a case could be made for Smyth) without Iginla the team would probably move to Portland. Calgary was damned either way. pay him what he wants and risk financial losses, or trade him and lose the team.

I think $2.5 M is acceptable for a first line centre even in Edmonton but you're right that Comrie probably won't get that.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 11:09 AM
  #12
C Bass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
comrie is worth (as a young rfa with no leverage) roughly 1.5-1.7 million this season. anything more is wrong. the last thing we need is for lowe to pull a craig button and pay his rfa's stupid money. reference jerome iginla & the flames org in general for more information what that type of idiocy will get you - specifically, you won't see them in the playoffs for the last 7 years.
I think the situaltion in Calgary was little different cause the Flames need Iginla, and I think that the Oilers could get by quite easy without Comrie. Iginla is the face of the Flames.

And an example of Buttons stupidity would be better shown with Turek's contract.

C Bass is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 11:15 AM
  #13
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan

when Comrie came to camp he showed he wanted to be here. the fact that management sent him home is just more negotiating power for Lowe and co.
Of all your points, and there are some good ones(And welcome to the board btw, you will love it here.) this one I don't believe.

Pressure comes from all sides and I feel like Comrie/Winter also have to cater to the public because it also increases value.(A buddy here at work said that Georges was worth more because he is good in the community. As Joe Phan that speaks volumes.) Well, if the community loves you that increases your value in Edmonton. If public pressure increases on Lowe to sign him, then Lowe will have to acknowledge that at some point.

Lowe also said (I think it was about Poti) that sometimes the fan decides the fate of the player, and right or wrong he has to act on that fate.(Paraphrasing please forgive me if it is a little off).

If Comrie has the public on his side the more Lowe has to sign him, if the public says....blow his ass out, then out he goes. Right now, public opinion is fragmented hence the standoff.

Comrie coming to camp(and only in my opinion) has more to do with courting public opinion than anything else.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 11:31 AM
  #14
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Dogg
And an example of Buttons stupidity would be better shown with Turek's contract.
Was Button also responsible for Rob Niedermeyer's 2M/yr deal?

IMO that one sticks out even more...

Digger12 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 11:32 AM
  #15
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Comrie coming to camp(and only in my opinion) has more to do with courting public opinion than anything else.
thanks for the welcome. it is a great board.

I see your point. but when it all comes down to it, players just want to play hockey.

I think it really bothers a player not to be at camp with the guys as Smyth said in the article.

you've got management and agents saying things in the media and things are always taken out of context and used for 'good' journalism.

agents are too much like lawyers today - Winter probably told Comrie not to say anything, then because of his silence, he's perceived as indifferent.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 12:12 PM
  #16
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
I see your point. but when it all comes down to it, players just want to play hockey.
For the most part yes, but I not sure that applies to every player...Your comment seems to imply that players are innocent and that won't get caught up in the business of sport...The bottom line here is that if Comrie "just wanted to play hockey", he'd sign the damn contract...

Putting things in perspective, the money he'd be signing for is not chump change...You signed the contract, play your ass off, and come back and take the team to arbitration (don't know if he has those rights or not) or try to get the best contract based on other comparable contracts...

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 12:15 PM
  #17
C Bass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Was Button also responsible for Rob Niedermeyer's 2M/yr deal?

IMO that one sticks out even more...
I'm not sure, but yes that would be another example if he did.

C Bass is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 12:19 PM
  #18
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
For the most part yes, but I not sure that applies to every player...Your comment seems to imply that players are innocent and that won't get caught up in the business of sport...The bottom line here is that if Comrie "just wanted to play hockey", he'd sign the damn contract...

Putting things in perspective, the money he'd be signing for is not chump change...You signed the contract, play your ass off, and come back and take the team to arbitration (don't know if he has those rights or not) or try to get the best contract based on other comparable contracts...
exactly...

in the real world this is known as "paying your dues". why is it any different in the NHL? even more to the point, i wish i would have made a paultry 1.4 mil a year when i was paying my dues early in my career.

so you'll forgive me if i don't put much stock in statements like "all he wants to do is play hockey". if he wanted to play then he'd shut the hell up, collect his 1.4 million, and get on the damn ice.

LawnDemon is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 12:21 PM
  #19
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
thanks for the welcome. it is a great board.

I see your point. but when it all comes down to it, players just want to play hockey.

I think it really bothers a player not to be at camp with the guys as Smyth said in the article.

you've got management and agents saying things in the media and things are always taken out of context and used for 'good' journalism.

agents are too much like lawyers today - Winter probably told Comrie not to say anything, then because of his silence, he's perceived as indifferent.
And I can agree with some of what you are saying to a point but ultimately the player makes the decision.(We all know that Ray Bourque always signed for less to be in Beantown.) They are advised by their agents. If Comrie REEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYY wanted to be here, a few hundred thousand wouldn't keep him away.

When it comes to "Does he want to be here?" only Mike(and whomever he has told) knows for sure.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 12:22 PM
  #20
looooob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Was Button also responsible for Rob Niedermeyer's 2M/yr deal?

IMO that one sticks out even more...
no he was not. Niedermayer was acquired into a trade (bad judgement I agree) and had to be qualified year after year on his bad salary (maybe not dissimilar to the Isbister situation I guess).

I'm not going to defend Flames management in general , or Craig Button in particular, but the Flames haven't been particularly awful in overpaying their RFAs. Iginla was the one obvious one, but he was coming off an Art Ross season. Morris looked to be a problem (after a previous holdout) and then was flipped for Drury (who looked to be a problem also) who was flipped for Reinprecht and Warrener who signed for good bucks. Regehr,Saprykin, Ference etc all signed reasonable contracts as well. Gauthier's deal was an arbitration award, IIRC. You could argue overpay on Lydman.

The Turek deal is obviously hard to defend,but he was a pending UFA and the team panicked.

so actually the Flames have done alot of things badly over the years, but overpaying RFAs historically hasn't been one of them

looooob is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 12:23 PM
  #21
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
thanks for the welcome. it is a great board.

I see your point. but when it all comes down to it, players just want to play hockey.

I think it really bothers a player not to be at camp with the guys as Smyth said in the article.

you've got management and agents saying things in the media and things are always taken out of context and used for 'good' journalism.

agents are too much like lawyers today - Winter probably told Comrie not to say anything, then because of his silence, he's perceived as indifferent.
Oh yeah, welcome from me too. Some ground rules:

Rule #1: I am always right.

Rule #2: (see Rule #1 for clarification)



Now with that unpleasantness out of the way, on to business...

I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but one pressure that might be weighing on Comrie too is that Big Bad NHLPA. You can be sure Comrie's been given some subtle hints that contracts like his and Havlat's could set the table for future young guys just finishing their rookie deals. As much as he wants to play, unions are hard to ignore.

Of course this is all speculation, but since both sides are refusing to shed any illumination on the issue other than vague platitudes, speculation and "I heard a rumour that..." or "Team 1260 said..." is all we have to work with. I just hope all the drama wraps up sooner than later. This could be the last season of Oiler hockey for a long time (maybe forever??), and I don't want it screwed up by anyone.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 12:29 PM
  #22
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
no he was not. Niedermayer was acquired into a trade (bad judgement I agree) and had to be qualified year after year on his bad salary (maybe not dissimilar to the Isbister situation I guess).

I'm not going to defend Flames management in general , or Craig Button in particular, but the Flames haven't been particularly awful in overpaying their RFAs. Iginla was the one obvious one, but he was coming off an Art Ross season. Morris looked to be a problem (after a previous holdout) and then was flipped for Drury (who looked to be a problem also) who was flipped for Reinprecht and Warrener who signed for good bucks. Regehr,Saprykin, Ference etc all signed reasonable contracts as well. Gauthier's deal was an arbitration award, IIRC. You could argue overpay on Lydman.

The Turek deal is obviously hard to defend,but he was a pending UFA and the team panicked.

so actually the Flames have done alot of things badly over the years, but overpaying RFAs historically hasn't been one of them
OK, thanks for that.

I almost felt sorry for the Flames when it came to the Iggy deal, I mean, how do you NOT sign him? He was Mr. Everything during his 50 goal year.

You guys did well on the Drury deal...IMO he's always been a bit overrated, the promise is always more than what he actually delivers. Still looks like your team is going to live and die with MCI though. Hope for good health...

Digger12 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 01:23 PM
  #23
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Everyone can make their "if Comrie really wanted to be here blah blah blah, play for w/e Lowe is offering" statements, but you all know that this is the NHL we're talking about here. Doesn't happen, Not gonna happen.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 01:39 PM
  #24
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Your comment seems to imply that players are innocent and that won't get caught up in the business of sport...The bottom line here is that if Comrie "just wanted to play hockey", he'd sign the damn contract...
you should never assume...

the line: "players want to play" was in reference to why Comrie came to camp prior to being locked out.

all players are members of the NHLPA and are not going to cross their union brothers. anyone who's worked in a union environment knows that. of course players know the business otherwise they'd be playing in the local beer league but the PA and agents are truly pulling the strings. it's in their best interest for all players to get the highest salary they can.

it's easy to assume Comrie is in the wrong and should be happy to take whatever Lowe is offering. but in reality no one (but Lowe and Winter) knows what has been offered.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
09-23-2003, 03:39 PM
  #25
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
I guess my take on it all is that Comrie knew he'd be under the microscope from the beginning since he pretty much "replaced" Doug Weight and he comes from money. Comrie has excelled at every level. sure it sucks to be centered out but I don't think he's going to leave town with his tail between his legs because of it.

when Comrie came to camp he showed he wanted to be here. the fact that management sent him home is just more negotiating power for Lowe and co. the better Comrie does at camp just helps his own cause for a raise. teams use this tactic all the time. it's easier to prove your worth when your on the ice and he can't do that BECAUSE HE WAS LOCKED OUT. simple as that. Lowe has ALL the power. Comrie will be lucky to sign for 1 year at $2.5M

my question is why are so many fans pulling for him to be traded? (especially for players who don't even compare to his talent level)

Boyton? Hartnell? come on.
What you say is true, but why did Comrie want to come to camp?

Wouldn't it be to have a great camp and help his negotiating power because he knows that Lowe does have the leverage?

I am not pulling for him to be traded but I have a feeling that this is what will happen.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.