HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Game #31: San Jose Sharks at Anaheim Ducks~ "This hockey thing is getting old." 7PM.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Only negative of this game was that the Marleau-Couture-Wingels line was really bad outside a couple of chances. The biggest problem is that that line doesn't have an F2, which is ironic considering pretty much every other forward on the team is an F2. But yeah, they got slaughtered against RPG, and couldn't maintain much zone-time because they didn't have a playmaker. Good in transition, but otherwise not good.

And you wanted to trade him.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
OrrNumber4

If Burns at D is best for the Sharks, put him at D. "Developing" other players is, IMO, a bad way to make roster decisions. If Irwin, Demers, or Braun's wants that extra playing time, earn it. Make it so that the organization can put Burns at forward since everything is A-OK on the backend.

In any case, I am nervous having 3 Dmen with such less experience back there. Irwin is a rookie, and both Braun and Demers have less than a 200 games...it probably seems worse for Demers since he faded so much from his rookie year.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkytalk View Post
IMHO, this would be a mistake. We were fast tonight. Don't change that.
Of course it would be a mistake but they can't just keep Clowe out of the lineup and I doubt that they could really trade him if he's not in there for a bit to show he's healthy. However, it is almost always Galiardi and Desjardins that get the short leash here.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Linkster
LTIR'ed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'd rather see him at forward through the end of the season at this point than back on D. Even with some glaring errors from Braun, Demers, and Irwin over time, they're going to need to play in order to improve themselves. When they make another trade to move someone off the blue line is when they can put Burns back but they play much faster right now with those four in the spots they're in and they need that more than anything right now.
Last week on Remenda's KNBR segment, he hinted that Burns might be better at forward right now because he's having trouble pivoting due to the surgery. Ratto agreed, but I think they're both over-stating it. I think Burns looks at least 90% out there, but I also don't know how the training staff tapes him up.

Shark Fin Soup just mentioned Ratto being on KNBR today, so I'm gonna dig that up tomorrow and listen.

When the Sharks are neck-deep in stinking, I agree with Ratto sometimes. When the Sharks are winning, I disagree with Ratto always.

Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NWShark*

Quote:
Only negative of this game was that the Marleau-Couture-Wingels line was really bad outside a couple of chances. The biggest problem is that that line doesn't have an F2, which is ironic considering pretty much every other forward on the team is an F2. But yeah, they got slaughtered against RPG, and couldn't maintain much zone-time because they didn't have a playmaker. Good in transition, but otherwise not good.
Your right, no setup guy... they need either Havlat, Gomez or clowe. Those are really the only ones other than Thornton on the roster. Couture said he used to be primarily a setup guy in Junior so maybe they're hoping he can get back to that...? Feed Marleau and hope Wingles catches fire? Or maybe it's put the most well rounded players (marleau and couture) together and hope for magic...

BTW, Sbisa should see a fine minimum...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Demers just needs to continue to play to get his confidence back. A couple seasons ago he was pretty solid in the playoffs. That ability is still there, he's just coming out of really rough patch still IMO.
It also happens to a lot of players. After their first year, teams figure the player out and he cannot adapt well.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:09 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Well against RPG, a line that doesn't consist of 3 studs is going to get worked.
Honestly, I'm not sure we have anyone who can go head to head with RPG, or Kopitar for that matter. But I'll take this team effort. I'm just concerned about that. I'm interested to see who TMac will match with Getz/Perry in SJ on Wednesday. Against LA in SJ, he started out putting Marleau against Kopitar, but he had Clowe on his wing so it didn't work, and he moved Thornton to the matchup, but he didn't fair much better... I'm a little concerned for the defense of this team, but **** that, I like offense.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:10 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Hmm...well, as many should point out, the RPG line IS a very good line. That too, it seemed like a lot of that dominance came in after the Sharks were up 3-0...teams tend to sit on leads.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:10 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
It also happens to a lot of players. After their first year, teams figure the player out and he cannot adapt well.
I don't believe anyone figured him out. He was way more calm and collected with the puck a couple years ago. He just didn't play the puck with any confidence last year but he's had some moments of coming out of it this year. Until he plays a ton he's going to be prone to some bonehead maneuvers.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkster View Post
Last week on Remenda's KNBR segment, he hinted that Burns might be better at forward right now because he's having trouble pivoting due to the surgery. Ratto agreed, but I think they're both over-stating it. I think Burns looks at least 90% out there, but I also don't know how the training staff tapes him up.

Shark Fin Soup just mentioned Ratto being on KNBR today, so I'm gonna dig that up tomorrow and listen.

When the Sharks are neck-deep in stinking, I agree with Ratto sometimes. When the Sharks are winning, I disagree with Ratto always.
Whatever the reason may be, they're better off playing Burns up front and having Braun, Demers, and Irwin playing as opposed to sitting one of those three for someone like Handzus, Clowe, or Kennedy.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Linkster
LTIR'ed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post

And you wanted to trade him.
Can that guy play D for us?

Old
03-26-2013, 12:12 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Your right, no setup guy... they need either Havlat, Gomez or clowe. Those are really the only ones other than Thornton on the roster. Couture said he used to be primarily a setup guy in Junior so maybe they're hoping he can get back to that...? Feed Marleau and hope Wingles catches fire? Or maybe it's put the most well rounded players (marleau and couture) together and hope for magic...

BTW, Sbisa should see a fine minimum...
I'd like to see Couture-Marleau-Havlat. Put Galiardi with Thornton and Burns (until we have a different top-6 forward in return for Clowe/Boyle) and Wingels with Pavelski and Sheppard.

But it's a step forward.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Phu

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure we have anyone who can go head to head with RPG, or Kopitar for that matter. But I'll take this team effort. I'm just concerned about that. I'm interested to see who TMac will match with Getz/Perry in SJ on Wednesday. Against LA in SJ, he started out putting Marleau against Kopitar, but he had Clowe on his wing so it didn't work, and he moved Thornton to the matchup, but he didn't fair much better... I'm a little concerned for the defense of this team, but **** that, I like offense.
Other teams have studs on them that are at least as good as ours. That's just how our damn division is now :/

But Couture really has incredible defensive chops, and Marleau always has.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kitten Mittons

I really like Wingels with Couture. And I really like Havlat with Thornton.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:

Actually it wasn't an interview with Ratto. Ratto is actually co-host with Tom Tolbert and I think only interviews with guests get podcasted.

Negatively Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Kitten Mittons

Why is Thornton the #1 star?

Old
03-26-2013, 12:15 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Hmm...well, as many should point out, the RPG line IS a very good line. That too, it seemed like a lot of that dominance came in after the Sharks were up 3-0...teams tend to sit on leads.
Certainly, score effects had a lot to do with it, but I think you need at least two of Marleau/Thornton/Pavelski to keep a line of RPG's caliber in check. Problem is, our depth is so much better without them...

Old
03-26-2013, 12:15 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
As well as we played, what to do when Clowe is ready??? Not sure I would disrupt these lines as they seemed to work well today. Very entertaining game. Lots more offensive chances than in a long while.
Quote:
IMHO, this would be a mistake. We were fast tonight. Don't change that.
Good points. But we know someone wil sit when Clowe is ready. I would hope Todd will take the moment and sit Burish.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Well against RPG, a line that doesn't consist of 3 studs is going to get worked.
It was more PG than anything, Ryan didn't play very well.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:17 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I really like Wingels with Couture. And I really like Havlat with Thornton.
Ditto. I personally love these top 2 lines. Let line 2 handle the tough matchups and focus on transition goals and let 9, 19 & 88 take an easier matchup and just feed burns big bomb. Marleau has the size and speed to match up against pretty much any center in the league if he's properly motivated.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:18 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Other teams have studs on them that are at least as good as ours. That's just how our damn division is now :/

But Couture really has incredible defensive chops, and Marleau always has.
Couture can't carry a line defensively.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:18 AM
pappaf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Good points. But we know someone wil sit when Clowe is ready. I would hope Todd will take the moment and sit Burish.
Hopefully Clowe is traded before then, otherwise play Clowe on the 4th line for one game and then ship him out.

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Linkster
LTIR'ed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Actually it wasn't an interview with Ratto. Ratto is actually co-host with Tom Tolbert and I think only interviews with guests get podcasted.
Yeah, Tolbert and Ratto were at KNBR and Drew called in (on the road with team) but it's a weekly segment they're calling the "Drew Remenda Show." 15 minutes or so.

Kinda confusing.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Kitten Mittons

They're gonna play Clowe on the top line so he can score a goal finally and his value goes up a bit.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:20 AM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:

This is what I've thought all along. Not just pivoting, but hold players off the puck along the boards is hard on the area where he had surgery. You don't have to do that nearly as much playing forward.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote