HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

HF Hyper League Season 4 Thread 3 (CGY, BOS, PHX Available)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2013, 01:31 PM
  #201
CanuckCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Just a note on the whole glitchy/cheesy goals topic. In my other league we created a 5 man committee that reviews all cases of glitching/exploiting and also questionable trading. For ex a lot of people join, blow up a team, and then quit leaving behind a mess that most people don't want to try to clean up.

Also, the game has been out for almost 8 months now and we are through 4 seasons. We all know the exploits in the game, aka which shots/moves go in at a very high percentage due to the coding and physics of the game.

In case you are unaware, the biggest ones are:

-Backhand forehand from the short-side. In this case the goalie always leaves the post and gives you the shortside. Using this on a breakaway, or when you dearly need a goal isn't the issue, but people abuse this move by using it at every single opportunity and at angles where the poor physics/coding in the game is the sole reason it works.

-Zig-zagging or using other highly unrealistic means of cutting in and shooting high glove. Don't get me wrong if the lane to cut in is open, take it, but the problem is i see a lott of people just play outright cheesy to get that open lane. This issue is amplified when people do it every single time they enter the zone.

There are a couple of others but these are the two biggest ones. I think we should put this on the front page and add to it if necessary. This way there is no arguing what we've deemed problem goals.

And i reiterate, everyone will score a so-called cheesy/glitchy/exploitative goal when desperate. The problem stems from the players that use these goals as their sole form of offense and go for them every single time. We are trying to run a high-skill and high-integrity league, and that means limiting and monitoring these goals.

Oh, and for the record, Toe-dragging/cradling/curling the puck is not glitchy or cheesy. It's been around since the introduction of the Skill-Stick and is a means of getting a more accurate shot off.

CanuckCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
  #202
CanuckCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Lets not get too hasty with the resigning phase. I've been burned too many times only having 2 or 3 chances to get good deals. I don't mind 2 a day but the times need to be adjusted as its only beneficial to those in the Eastern Time zone.

CanuckCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:08 PM
  #203
oomps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
I tend to disagree. Toedragging/curling is very glitchy. If you have a player with high balance it is impossible to knock them over, your only option it to go around and poke check it. However, when you go to do this, they just turn around the other way for an open shot. Also, let's be realistic. How often does a toedrag or curl happen in the NHL, maybe once a game if that? All this move does is glitch the goalie. When you pull that puck in some extremes behind your back almost, the goalie moves in accordance with the puck, while your feet and hands are square with the goalie. <---- That alone is the definition of glitching.

As for breakaways, don't give them up and you won't have a problem. As for high-glove, yea I agree its cheesy, but if you scout your opponent and see their goalie's weakest stat is high glove, like Luongo for instance, you shouldnt be forced to avoid shooting high gloves from a slot shot if your opponent gives it to you.

oomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:18 PM
  #204
CanuckCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomps View Post
I tend to disagree. Toedragging/curling is very glitchy. If you have a player with high balance it is impossible to knock them over, your only option it to go around and poke check it. However, when you go to do this, they just turn around the other way for an open shot. Also, let's be realistic. How often does a toedrag or curl happen in the NHL, maybe once a game if that? All this move does is glitch the goalie. When you pull that puck in some extremes behind your back almost, the goalie moves in accordance with the puck, while your feet and hands are square with the goalie. <---- That alone is the definition of glitching.

As for breakaways, don't give them up and you won't have a problem. As for high-glove, yea I agree its cheesy, but if you scout your opponent and see their goalie's weakest stat is high glove, like Luongo for instance, you shouldnt be forced to avoid shooting high gloves from a slot shot if your opponent gives it to you.
I agree that curling the puck can definitely be used in a glitchy manner. But if you're using it to aim your shot rather than get around players then it's not a problem imo. Also the game can't replicate things done in real life and this curling the puck is one of its compromises.

And no i'm not saying don't shoot high glove from the slot. It's not the shot that's the problem here, its the manner in which you get to that area on the ice to get that particular shot off.

CanuckCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:31 PM
  #205
Zobitembois
Registered User
 
Zobitembois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Just sent a request for CGY.

Zobitembois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:44 PM
  #206
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
see i always had a problem with the glitch/cheesy argument because i was always with the side of if thats all they can do they should be easy to defend against.

the first glitch goal this game had was the toe drag top corner from the slot. was a sure thing every time and everyone went for them. when people figured it out everyone also figured out it was the first spot to cover and those people who used to it to exploit and the only way they scored goals fell apart because they didnt know how to play the game or score goals other wise.

the toughest opponents i face are the ones i can't figure out. i love facing guys who try the same thing every time no matter what it is because ill eventually figure out where to be to stop it and don't have to worry about other spots. whether i give up a couple goals or even a game during that time.

as far as breakaways go, if i let a breakaway happen i just expect a goal no matter how they score it. i let them get one on one with the goalie and i am now out of the equation meaning i already let up a goal. if they don't score its just a bonus. i dont care if they score the same way every time on a break away because im already mad at myself for letting them have breakaway in the first place. they deserve the goal.


in the nhl the best way to score a goal would be standing in front of the net with no defenders and scoring. defenders dont let this happen. the second best way by far would be a one timer. but again defenders dont let this happen. thats the way the game should be, figure out the best way to score goals and don't let them happen to you.


if the only way you can score a goal is get short side and do backhand forhand then so be it. its my job to not let you be that close to the net with the puck in the first place.

thats just my opinion. if everyone says there is one type of goal that is impossible to defend against and too easy to score then im on board. but i havnt seen a goal that falls into both of those categories. that doesnt mean i don't see the "go to" goals that people use regularly though.

but regardless if someone has a problem with the way someone is playing we should all discuss it as a league or with the 5 person committee idea canuck had with out a doubt.

trufleshufle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:00 PM
  #207
camwise
Registered User
 
camwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckCity View Post
Just a note on the whole glitchy/cheesy goals topic. In my other league we created a 5 man committee that reviews all cases of glitching/exploiting and also questionable trading. For ex a lot of people join, blow up a team, and then quit leaving behind a mess that most people don't want to try to clean up.

Also, the game has been out for almost 8 months now and we are through 4 seasons. We all know the exploits in the game, aka which shots/moves go in at a very high percentage due to the coding and physics of the game.

In case you are unaware, the biggest ones are:

-Backhand forehand from the short-side. In this case the goalie always leaves the post and gives you the shortside. Using this on a breakaway, or when you dearly need a goal isn't the issue, but people abuse this move by using it at every single opportunity and at angles where the poor physics/coding in the game is the sole reason it works.

-Zig-zagging or using other highly unrealistic means of cutting in and shooting high glove. Don't get me wrong if the lane to cut in is open, take it, but the problem is i see a lott of people just play outright cheesy to get that open lane. This issue is amplified when people do it every single time they enter the zone.

There are a couple of others but these are the two biggest ones. I think we should put this on the front page and add to it if necessary. This way there is no arguing what we've deemed problem goals.

And i reiterate, everyone will score a so-called cheesy/glitchy/exploitative goal when desperate. The problem stems from the players that use these goals as their sole form of offense and go for them every single time. We are trying to run a high-skill and high-integrity league, and that means limiting and monitoring these goals.

Oh, and for the record, Toe-dragging/cradling/curling the puck is not glitchy or cheesy. It's been around since the introduction of the Skill-Stick and is a means of getting a more accurate shot off.

hahahahaha Tell Em Bro

camwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:21 AM
  #208
TorMapleJays
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
so day 2 n 3 today

TorMapleJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
  #209
oomps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Yea, whats the update on the schedule? I need to make sure I am home to resign.

oomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
  #210
noexult
Registered User
 
noexult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oslo
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomps View Post
Yea, whats the update on the schedule? I need to make sure I am home to resign.
Doesn't look like it's moving forward to fast atm Didn't see any progress earlier today...guess it will advance soon.

noexult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  #211
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
well i wanted to give everyone a day or 2 to get back after playoffs because a lot of people stop checking for a little bit if they are no longer in. but i think as soon as the first advance happens we should move through as quick as possible

trufleshufle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:32 PM
  #212
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
also im giving the commish to either camwise or canuck, which ever of you wants it let me know. i know you were both talking about either of you 2 so i leave it between you guys. and youve also been in the core since the start.

trufleshufle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:36 PM
  #213
noexult
Registered User
 
noexult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oslo
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufleshufle13 View Post
also im giving the commish to either camwise or canuck, which ever of you wants it let me know. i know you were both talking about either of you 2 so i leave it between you guys. and youve also been in the core since the start.
If you hand over commish to someone now...the league might get broken...don't say I didn't warn u

noexult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
  #214
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
how do you mean

trufleshufle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
  #215
noexult
Registered User
 
noexult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oslo
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
You won't get past the Free Agency...doubt they have fixed that. It works fine in leagues with new rosters it seems, but not old rosters. That is the way for instance Bluth Company stopped when they were in Season 5.

noexult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
  #216
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
alright if i get enough people checking in i will move forward tonight to get this going. let me know who still with us and ready to advance.

trufleshufle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:04 PM
  #217
oomps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Here

oomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:09 PM
  #218
CanuckCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Im gonna hopefully make it on sometime tonight

CanuckCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:23 PM
  #219
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!
 
McNashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
ready

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:21 PM
  #220
camwise
Registered User
 
camwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexult View Post
You won't get past the Free Agency...doubt they have fixed that. It works fine in leagues with new rosters it seems, but not old rosters. That is the way for instance Bluth Company stopped when they were in Season 5.
should be fine the oil leage is in season 5 and doesnt seem to have any problems

camwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
  #221
Jabrony
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
I've been an active (and winning gm), and I don't think I ever faced a cheeser. Just because I can play defense. I know some players only go for it and if you do too, you SHOULD be able to stop it. Like I've played games with players who were always giving me an open lane to the goalie. Even though it wasn't a breakaway, I basically had a free goal. Since backhanders are really hard in this game, I'd have 2 options in this situation. Deke the goalie (glitch...) or shooting it shortside (glitch...). May sounds stupid from me to defend it since I hate people who score this way. But I also hate people who whine all day and leave me open only to tell me that I'm a cheeser (or maybe they just can't play def...) Just my point of view on the situation, tell me what you think. PS. EA is disappointing.

Jabrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
  #222
camwise
Registered User
 
camwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrony View Post
I've been an active (and winning gm), and I don't think I ever faced a cheeser. Just because I can play defense. I know some players only go for it and if you do too, you SHOULD be able to stop it. Like I've played games with players who were always giving me an open lane to the goalie. Even though it wasn't a breakaway, I basically had a free goal. Since backhanders are really hard in this game, I'd have 2 options in this situation. Deke the goalie (glitch...) or shooting it shortside (glitch...). May sounds stupid from me to defend it since I hate people who score this way. But I also hate people who whine all day and leave me open only to tell me that I'm a cheeser (or maybe they just can't play def...) Just my point of view on the situation, tell me what you think. PS. EA is disappointing.
I honestly feel with the success of the GM Connected, they will focus more energy on these types of plays, situations, and over all improving this type of game play... i am looking forward to 2014 personally to see what they have done to improve the GM connected world...

camwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:08 PM
  #223
TorMapleJays
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrony View Post
I've been an active (and winning gm), and I don't think I ever faced a cheeser. Just because I can play defense. I know some players only go for it and if you do too, you SHOULD be able to stop it. Like I've played games with players who were always giving me an open lane to the goalie. Even though it wasn't a breakaway, I basically had a free goal. Since backhanders are really hard in this game, I'd have 2 options in this situation. Deke the goalie (glitch...) or shooting it shortside (glitch...). May sounds stupid from me to defend it since I hate people who score this way. But I also hate people who whine all day and leave me open only to tell me that I'm a cheeser (or maybe they just can't play def...) Just my point of view on the situation, tell me what you think. PS. EA is disappointing.

Your the cheezer....

TorMapleJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:34 PM
  #224
TorMapleJays
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
So are we on day 2??

TorMapleJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:50 PM
  #225
trufleshufle13
Registered User
 
trufleshufle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
alright ill advance tonight in a little bit to get things going but by the lack of responses i feel we are going to leave a chunk of people behind.

either way there has been enough time to check back in so ill do the advance tonight.

Right now ACTIVITY CHECK STARTS NOW (whether you just posted or not) ill post one on xbox also and everyone has until sunday to check in before FA starts monday. if everyone checks in quicker by all means we can move faster but 1 a day seems fair for both coasts and people who work.

AGAIN ACTIVITY CHECK STARTS BELOW THIS POST AND WE ARE ADVANCING THE FIRST RE-SIGN TONIGHT

trufleshufle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.