2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion IV

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 01:11 PM
MTaylorJ1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
As are most moves at the deadline. It's why I always say the time to make a move is the off season. That being said, what this shows is Shero's willingness to make a bold move and go for it. He could easily stand pat and wait for Malkin to get healthy and roll with what he's currently got, but he's not. He's making changes. Adding in players who fill specific needs that the team currently lacks. Smart move. It also shows the players that he's willing to do what's needed to win right now, and that he views them as a legit contender.
We don't know if being bold is a smart move for them. I'm totally underwhelmed by both players they acquired. All they did was acquire players for significant assets. Being bold doesn't make it good, it makes it bold.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin4Life View Post
I want something like the Kaberle deal for Iginla anything over that I believe will be an overpayment.

Blue chip prospect (or so we thought of colbourne)
1st
conditional 2nd
(Throw in something like Cunningham/Camper) Who will be career ahlers
Honestly I bet that's about what happens. Spooner or Subban, 1st, conditional pick. That feels right to me.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
I'm pretty sure Shero was the B's top choice back then, and he has the same number of Cup wins as Chiarelli. The Bruins wouldn't be bad off with either one. The market is what it is this year. This is Pittsburgh's year to go for it. They couldn't come away from the deadline empty handed so they paid the price.

I assume you'll be ripping Chia next week when the B's are minus a couple of high picks and a prospect or two that you didn't want to give up?
You are more than free to go through my post history to see how often I am "ripping" on the front office.

Or, I can save you work and just tell you; none.

The fact that I think Pittsburgh's made two bad moves has nothing to do with Chiarelli. They are independent of each other. I'm really not sure where in anything I've posted states I'll be ripping on the front office.

I, frankly, can't wait for the trade deadline to pass so we call all just stop with this crap that if you have one opinion about something, then you're immediately pigeonholed into a camp of generalized, lazy thinking based on "assumptions."

You savvy?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
As are most moves at the deadline. It's why I always say the time to make a move is the off season. That being said, what this shows is Shero's willingness to make a bold move and go for it. He could easily stand pat and wait for Malkin to get healthy and roll with what he's currently got, but he's not. He's making changes. Adding in players who fill specific needs that the team currently lacks. Smart move. It also shows the players that he's willing to do what's needed to win right now, and that he views them as a legit contender.
Exactly. I dont think you can overate what a trade to a contender does for the psyche and confidence. A pickup this time of year interjects optimism and confidence that the front office thinks they have what it takes to make a run at the Cup. The Kaberle deal did just that. Kaberle didnt even play that well but it set the tone for the playoff run that people BELIEVED in the team. Chia needs to do something and soon. Bruins are a contender and need some help up front and despite Iginla being old he has the assets the Bruins need right now. Chia has to get it done even if a slight overpayment.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Bruin4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Honestly I bet that's about what happens. Spooner or Subban, 1st, conditional pick. That feels right to me.
If spooner gets traded ill be pissed. Haven't seen a kid with that great of wheels and hockey smarts for awhile in the bruins system.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
SlickM32

There are filler players he could have gotten, such as Gagne, and I'm sure he could have beaten the Morrow deal but I don't think that is what he is going after. I really think Chia is thinking big name this deadline. He has a ton of cap space and a winning team, and this is a rare situation. If this team is ever going to go balls out at the deadline and be that team that gets a Hossa, or Kovy (Iginla this year) it is now.

Old
BNHL

Bruins need impact,not role players.

Old
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
We don't know if being bold is a smart move for them. I'm totally underwhelmed by both players they acquired. All they did was acquire players for significant assets. Being bold doesn't make it good, it makes it bold.
I think it's a calculated risk. They certainly mortgaged the future, but with their core, they are a strong contender. Too much talent to not be. I think the moves also send a message to the guys in the room that he's trying to make them better. That goes a long way. Time will tell obviously, but I like the aggressive nature of what he's doing (at least in theory).

If I'm PC, I start making a hard push for another d man like Streit or Regehr. I'd take either of those guys in a heartbeat over a gross overpayment for Iggy. I'd take Iginla or Alfredsson too, but only at a certain cost.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
bruinsfan46

Chia needs to do something, I just have no clue what. Don't know what's out there and what people are asking for. He did okay in 2011, a Kelly for 2nd similar deal would be sweet but prices have gone way up even since then. Look at Gaustad last year and now what Murray returns.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
WBC8

Murray is easily worth a second rounder from a team as good as the Penguins...they rented him for 2 2's....big ****ing deal. I love when other teams get a player they suck, but if it were us, we would be saying the opposite...

Murray is better then this year's version of McQuaid and Ference IMO. A trade is just what he needed...

Lucic, Bergeron and Marchand couldn't even break through Hamrlik, Mike Green, Alzner and Carlson last year.... if they get to Murray, Engelland and Orpik it should be hysterical this year.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
bp13

Quote:
Offseason is the best time but you also know the least.

I mean would we be so desperate for offense if Seguin has scored consistently, Lucic had more than 4 goals (is this right? How does he have 4 goals and still so many defenders on this board?) and Horton didn't go to Paille Scoring School?

To PC, this deadline might not be about deciding how many picks/prospects he wants to surrender. It might be about deciding whether to move a top 6 fixture. It's not going to shock me if he is tiring of inconsistency from a few of these guys. And I made the point earlier, but man oh man would putting a guy like Lucic out there change the types of deals he could make.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:20 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I agree but are any available and will they pay the price?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
There are filler players he could have gotten, such as Gagne, and I'm sure he could have beaten the Morrow deal but I don't think that is what he is going after. I really think Chia is thinking big name this deadline. He has a ton of cap space and a winning team, and this is a rare situation. If this team is ever going to go balls out at the deadline and be that team that gets a Hossa, or Kovy (Iginla this year) it is now.
I'm inclined to think this way also. The Bruins would not have won the Cup without TT standing on his head,especially with no PP. Rask can't possibly duplicate history and the PP will be impossible to overcome this time. Incoming talent needs to be real impact talent or it's all a charade.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
You are more than free to go through my post history to see how often I am "ripping" on the front office.

Or, I can save you work and just tell you; none.

The fact that I think Pittsburgh's made two bad moves has nothing to do with Chiarelli. They are independent of each other. I'm really not sure where in anything I've posted states I'll be ripping on the front office.

I, frankly, can't wait for the trade deadline to pass so we call all just stop with this crap that if you have one opinion about something, then you're immediately pigeonholed into a camp of generalized, lazy thinking based on "assumptions."

You savvy?

03-25-2013, 01:22 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Both were dreadful overpayments, and that takes deadline inflation into context. You can pat Shero and his staff on the back for the drafting and trading that helped them accumulate those assets, but they turned around and wasted them. Morrow has averaging just about a shot per game, that's pathetic, and Murray can't skate. Good chance Pitt used assets to get worse.
Really?

Morrow, Murray and a 3rd for Morrow, 2 seconds and a 5th?

How is that "dreadful"?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:23 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Really?

Morrow, Murray and a 3rd for Morrow, 2 seconds and a 5th?

How is that "dreadful"?
Morrow and Murray have sucked this year. How is it not?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Bruins need their impact players to start making one.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
Crosby's not 37, but his brain is.

How old is Bergy's then, 52?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
SlickM32

Also a reminder that what was the last big name trade in which the team that acquired the best player regretted it?

Hossa....Christensen (sucks), Armstrong (3rd liner who now sucks), Esposito (bust) and a pick.
Kovalchuk....Oduya (decent but replaceable), Bergfors (sucks, 2nd line potential at the time), Patrice Cormier (who?) and a pick

Old
03-25-2013, 01:26 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Morrow and Murray have sucked this year. How is it not?
Three quarters our team has sucked this year...does that mean they are not any good? Both players will be much better on the Pens methinks...

Old
03-25-2013, 01:27 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
I think they better.

Good teams roll the dice and take a chance, especially when they have their young core locked up already. Unless they are figuring on Koko or Subban to crack the line-up and contribute next year; then I don't see the downside to trading either (I'd rather hold on to Spooner as I think he can make a difference as soon as next year).

If it's Koko and a 1st for Iginla; and we don't pull the trigger, then Chia really dropped the ball IMO.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:28 PM
BNHL

Quote:
WBC,I think he'll pay,no proof just hunch. The reality is that the forwards must upgrade their play to compensate for what will probably be some decline in playoff goaltending. Don't think they can get away with no PP a second time around. I have no idea who these GMs are making available to each other. I'd look for a top winger to replace Horton/Lucic when they struggle. The leash must be short.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:28 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Three quarters our team has sucked this year...does that mean they are not any good? Both players will be much better on the Pens methinks...
Yeah, I don't agree at all. We're a top 5 team with depth issues, I don't buy 3/4 of our team sucking.

If you had asked me Friday night what I thought was fair for Morrow and Murray I'd have said Caron and Nothing.

To be honest, if bottom pairing defensemen who can't skate are getting 2nd round picks, I hope Chiarelli becomes a "seller".

Old
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I think they better.

Good teams roll the dice and take a chance, especially when they have their young core locked up already. Unless they are figuring on Koko or Subban to crack the line-up and contribute next year; then I don't see the downside to trading either (I'd rather hold on to Spooner as I think he can make a difference as soon as next year).

If it's Koko and a 1st for Iginla; and we don't pull the trigger, then Chia really dropped the ball IMO.
I think I read they wanted Subban,Spooner and a first or something close. That's too much for me.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:31 PM
GodTukka*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
Also a reminder that what was the last big name trade in which the team that acquired the best player regretted it?

Hossa....Christensen (sucks), Armstrong (3rd liner who now sucks), Esposito (bust) and a pick.
Kovalchuk....Oduya (decent but replaceable), Bergfors (sucks, 2nd line potential at the time), Patrice Cormier (who?) and a pick
Oduya is the only guy on that list who has made an impact. Cormier has been rotting in the AHL up until about a week ago

Closed Thread