HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2013, 11:47 PM
  #1
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,932
vCash: 500
The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Old thread

You let a Canadian start the thread, you get Canadian spelling.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
  #2
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy
 
jabba2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
The Flyers should offer Sustr playing time this year to get him signed.

jabba2 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:53 PM
  #3
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Old thread

You let a Canadian start the thread, you get Canadian spelling.
Do Canadians spell car tire ..."tyre" like the Brits?

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:55 PM
  #4
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
The Flyers should offer Sustr playing time this year to get him signed.
With 2 contract spots open, I'm sure they'll be selling it to Sustr.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:58 PM
  #5
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Do Canadians spell car tire ..."tyre" like the Brits?
No we do not.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:23 AM
  #6
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,380
vCash: 500
Would love to see the Flyuers get Sustour.

King Forsberg is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:24 AM
  #7
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,155
vCash: 500
Everyoune just placing randoum u's everywhere

Krishna is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:00 AM
  #8
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,972
vCash: 500
Would anybody else do Briere for Luongo? Canucks fans seem to like it, and I have plenty of faith in Luongo.

I know Briere has his NMC, but to contend for a Cup, I'm not sure if he wouldn't waive to go there. He was in Germany for half the year, so what's Vancouver?

Luongo instantly solves half our biggest problem, imo.

hockeyfreak7 is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:08 AM
  #9
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Would anybody else do Briere for Luongo? Canucks fans seem to like it, and I have plenty of faith in Luongo.

I know Briere has his NMC, but to contend for a Cup, I'm not sure if he wouldn't waive to go there. He was in Germany for half the year, so what's Vancouver?

Luongo instantly solves half our biggest problem, imo.
I don't...hate it. How long is his contract and cap hit?

TheLegendkiller is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:11 AM
  #10
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I don't...hate it. How long is his contract and cap hit?
9 years left

But a $5.3m cap hit isn't too bad!


See, I'm okay with term for a guy like Luongo. He's a top 10 goaltender in this league and has the pedigree to back it up. Bryz-- well, not so much.

hockeyfreak7 is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:16 AM
  #11
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,480
vCash: 0
i would take Luongo as well. I am frightened to think of what it would cost to land him as it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize he would be a major upgrade to what we have now and the Canucks would probably want quite a bit.
Probably would need a stopgap backup until Stolarz was ready.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:27 AM
  #12
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Would anybody else do Briere for Luongo? Canucks fans seem to like it, and I have plenty of faith in Luongo.

I know Briere has his NMC, but to contend for a Cup, I'm not sure if he wouldn't waive to go there. He was in Germany for half the year, so what's Vancouver?

Luongo instantly solves half our biggest problem, imo.
Do you really want to commit 9 years to a 34 year old goalie though? I think he's a very good goalie, but the length of that contract is so bad. With the new CBA, you couldn't even sign a multiple vezina winning 25 year old goalie to a 9 year contract.

How many long-term contracts to aging goalies have really worked out well for teams? I can't think of many. Brodeur comes to mind I guess, but for every 1 good one I can think of 4-5 bad ones and Brodeur is an all-world goalie, easily top 5 all-time.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:31 AM
  #13
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,661
vCash: 500
If we get Luongou we have to buy him out in a a yeuar anyuways. Though there aure worse stoup gaps.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:36 AM
  #14
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Do you really want to commit 9 years to a 34 year old goalie though? I think he's a very good goalie, but the length of that contract is so bad. With the new CBA, you couldn't even sign a multiple vezina winning 25 year old goalie to a 9 year contract.

How many long-term contracts to aging goalies have really worked out well for teams? I can't think of many. Brodeur comes to mind I guess, but for every 1 good one I can think of 4-5 bad ones.
Normally, I'd agree. I'm the first to speak out on the riskiness of goaltending. Very few goaltenders are at the top with consistency. Luongo is one of those goaltenders, however. His save percentage has never been below 91.3, and I wouldn't bet on him being much different for the next few seasons.

I know he's turning 34, but he will retire as soon as he turns 40 and his contract goes from 6.7m -> 3.3m -> 1.7m. At a $5.3m cap hit, I'm not too concerned. His contract is essentially a 6yr deal. I'm not afraid of that-- I don't see how it could come back to bite us.

I'd take that risk, especially if the price to pay is Danny Briere.

hockeyfreak7 is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:50 AM
  #15
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If we get Luongou we have to buy him out in a a yeuar anyuways. Though there aure worse stoup gaps.
I was wondering if there was something wrong with your post...

Then I realized what thread I was pousting in

Krishna is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:53 AM
  #16
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I was wondering if there was something wrong with your post...

Then I realized what thread I was pousting in
Indeeud.


Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:11 AM
  #17
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Any thoughts on offersheeting Rask @ around 6M? Compensation would "only" be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2014. Boston is projected to have only ~7.5M in cap space and they need to fill a forward spot (replacing Horton), a defensive spot (replacing Ference), and both starting and backup goalie, so it could put them into a bit of difficulty.

If that doesn't float anyone's boat, you could potentially do a similar thing with the Rangers' precious and infinitely valuable Ryan McDonaugh. They're only going to have ~11M to resign McD, Stepan, and Hagelin. Plus they need another depth D and another depth forward. If you sheet McD for 6M, there's no way the Rangers are getting all of those other moves done w/ only ~5M. At best, you'd get McD for a couple future picks. At worst, you'd put the Rangers into some serious financial trouble and potentially force them to break-up Gaborik-Richards-Nash.

Either way that last one is a win-win IMO.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:33 AM
  #18
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 500
What happens when we receive Luongo and he is a disappountment?

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:33 AM
  #19
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,480
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Any thoughts on offersheeting Rask @ around 6M? Compensation would "only" be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2014. Boston is projected to have only ~7.5M in cap space and they need to fill a forward spot (replacing Horton), a defensive spot (replacing Ference), and both starting and backup goalie, so it could put them into a bit of difficulty.

If that doesn't float anyone's boat, you could potentially do a similar thing with the Rangers' precious and infinitely valuable Ryan McDonaugh. They're only going to have ~11M to resign McD, Stepan, and Hagelin. Plus they need another depth D and another depth forward. If you sheet McD for 6M, there's no way the Rangers are getting all of those other moves done w/ only ~5M. At best, you'd get McD for a couple future picks. At worst, you'd put the Rangers into some serious financial trouble and potentially force them to break-up Gaborik-Richards-Nash.

Either way that last one is a win-win IMO.
they will have the cash if they buyout Richards or Gaborik.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:34 AM
  #20
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,155
vCash: 500
1. Just because you submit an offersheet doesn't mean they are going to sign. Seems like most players just use them as leverage without signing them.

2. Your numbers for boston are off a bit. They don't have Savard on LTIR yet so their space jumps to close to 14 million for Rask, possibly Horton, Caron, a D man or two, and a backup goalie. They really aren't in a tight spot just yet

3. Rangers have almost 11m to sign McDonagh, possibly Sauer, Hagelin, and Stepan. The rangers usually get their RFAs to sign bridge contracts for low amounts. They also have Kreider in the AHL and McIlrath waiting in the AHL. Not exactly a tough spot

Krishna is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:35 AM
  #21
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
they will have the cash if they buyout Richards or Gaborik.
Exactly. Left that out of my post since I see them keeping Richards for at least a year and trying to trade Gaborik away instead this summer

Krishna is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:37 AM
  #22
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,480
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
What happens when we receive Luongo and he is a disappountment?
rinse, repeat, moveon.
we find another vet to sign.

I look forward to the day where the Flyers draft a goaltender develop him in junior/AHL and hes our starter for a dozen years plus. Maybe Stolarz is that guy. Then again he could have a rough first pro year and the Flyers trade him.
Cant go against the Flyers way of zero patience with anyone but young forwards.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:38 AM
  #23
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
What happens when we receive Luongo and he is a disappountment?
The numbers for the All-Purpose Goalie Thread will still continue to go up.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:43 AM
  #24
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer
 
OzFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Would anybody else do Briere for Luongo? Canucks fans seem to like it, and I have plenty of faith in Luongo.
I was thinking the same thing. With Kessel out the Canucks are desperate for centers so Danny would be a good fit.

They are also playing Sestito on the fourth line so if we need to add perhaps Talbot or Rusty would get it done?

OzFlyer is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:54 AM
  #25
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
I was thinking the same thing. With Kessel out the Canucks are desperate for centers so Danny would be a good fit.

They are also playing Sestito on the fourth line so if we need to add perhaps Talbot or Rusty would get it done?
Don't really think the canucks want Briere. What they need is a 2nd line center who is capable defensively, which we all know briere isn't. They've been rumored to be trying for Steve Ott or Derek Roy which imo is a better fit for the team than Briere

Krishna is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.