HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

BUF: Tyler Myers Available?

Old
03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade for Tyler Myers. He's too tall. Now if he were 5'11, we could talk.

France Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Rasmus Reichel

Only deals I'd consider on here are ones with eberle or couturier coming back. I've seen some real crap, blacker+2nd? Belanger+3rd? Really tempting guys

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:14 PM
megajake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Only deals I'd consider on here are ones with eberle or couturier coming back. I've seen some real crap, blacker+2nd? Belanger+3rd? Really tempting guys
Henrique>Couts but okay.

megajake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
What year did Barker win the Calder?
Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft, Barrett Jackman, Scott Gomez and Sergei Samsonov all say high.

Winning the Calder is certainly NOT a guaranteed ticket to the hall of fame, or even a guarantee at a steady position on an NHL roster.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
We have plenty of other players we could move "to shed salary" before our 23yo 6'8" Calder winning defenseman (such as, oh, Leino, Stafford, Regehr, Leopold). And Pegula has no problem spending big money (even losing money), so the only issue for financially is the cap.
No argument there. I don't think this is a cap discussion but more of a profit vs loss one. I doubt a team like Buffalo can sustain such a payroll when not making the playoffs even if it's Pegula.

I doubt they will move Myers but if they do it's because they are losing money because of the failed season and increased payroll and need to reset. They are paying Myers in real dollars to be their #1 and he's not even close to that right now.

This kind of investment on a losing team is not exactly good when the player isn't living up to that contract. In terms of production per dollar with the exception of Leino, he's gotta be at or near the bottom of the list.

This is why GMs should never throw money at players coming off their ELCs unless we're talking about generational talents.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by megajake View Post
Henrique>Couts but okay.
Might be a bit soon to say that, no?

Two years out of his draft, Henrique was still in the OHL.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
I don't know - to me he reminds me too much of Phaneuf's situation.

Looked great early, regressed.

Maybe he'll get his form back and maybe he won't.

The Leafs didn't give up anything for Phaneuf, but they didn't really get their money's worth based on his contract either.
Maybe you should watch Phaneuf play first?

Phaneuf in Toronto > Phaneuf in Calgary.

Phaneuf plays 26 mins+ each game, responsible defensively...plays some of the toughest minutes in the league while producing at a 40+ point pace.

There really aren't many defenseman that play ES,PP,PK...25 mins a night, while giving you good defense, physicality etc.

Phaneuf gets a bad rep because A) most people dont watch him play B) The Leafs haven't made the playoffs because of sub .900 goaltending.

Phaneuf has his shortcomings...and that keep him from being a top 10 D but he's still very reliable.

What excuse does Myers have? He's just wildly inconsistent...one good year, one bad year, one good year etc..like Luke Schenn.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I can't remember a leaked Sabres rumor ever happening.
Their interest in Gratton took almost 18 months to come to fruition. That's about the only one and that was 15 years ago.

03-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
I'm sure Regier would be enthralled with the idea of trading him within the division.
Funny how people always say this, as if the team dealing assets, for Myers in this case, wouldn't be taking on any risk themselves. A guy like Frattin could do just as much damage down the road as a Myers.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Devereau

I'd be surprised if sabres traded myers. I think it would take alot to get him and I'm not sure anyone would be willing to pay what he's worth to the sabres. Yes he's been up and down the last two years but I'm pretty sure this 23 old will end up being an excellent player.

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Funny how people always say this, as if the team dealing assets, for Myers in this case, wouldn't be taking on any risk themselves. A guy like Frattin could do just as much damage down the road as a Myers.
A potential 23 year old franchise 6ft 8in defensemen don't grow on trees like a dime a dozen winger. There is maybe .001 chance buffalo would trade him in conference let alone division if at all.

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:55 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
No argument there. I don't think this is a cap discussion but more of a profit vs loss one. I doubt a team like Buffalo can sustain such a payroll when not making the playoffs even if it's Pegula.

I doubt they will move Myers but if they do it's because they are losing money because of the failed season and increased payroll and need to reset. They are paying Myers in real dollars to be their #1 and he's not even close to that right now.

This kind of investment on a losing team is not exactly good when the player isn't living up to that contract. In terms of production per dollar with the exception of Leino, he's gotta be at or near the bottom of the list.

This is why GMs should never throw money at players coming off their ELCs unless we're talking about generational talents.
The bulk of his contract, in actual dollars, was paid this year. He's only owed, like $26.5m over the next 6 years. If actual dollars were a problem, the only time it would've made sense to move him was before last July 1.
Money is not an issue. Either with Myers or the organization in general.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
1) compliance buyouts exist and 2) with the kind of crap players 99% of fans are offering up for Myers, no there's no real risk there for anyone other than Buffalo.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
dire wolf
be cool

The proposals in this thread prove why Myers cannot be traded now.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
zeus3007*

I think every team would love to have him, but I don't think many would offer up the price Sabres fans would be happy with. If Buffalo wants to move him, it will be for less than what HF Sabres fans will want. For sure.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
The proposals in this thread prove why Myers cannot be traded now.
For the most part you are right. There were a couple nice offers in this thread though. I'd be fine with something around Myers + for Eberle (if it's Girgensons Edmonton is kicking in something very significant) or a Couturier for Myers swap. All things considered I doubt Myers is realistically available. His value is likely at it's lowest and teams likely won't pony up what would be necessary to make moving him worthwhile.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
sabresEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Their interest in Gratton took almost 18 months to come to fruition. That's about the only one and that was 15 years ago.
I remember hearing a few times we were interested in Leopold at the deadline a few years in a row, sure enough as soon as he went to FA we snagged him.

Was Matheson not the one who broke Pegula's interest before anyone else?

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:50 PM
CaptPantalones

hes not available. hes turned it around since Rolston took over. Ruff was a huge part of the problem

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:01 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft, Barrett Jackman, Scott Gomez and Sergei Samsonov all say high.

Winning the Calder is certainly NOT a guaranteed ticket to the hall of fame, or even a guarantee at a steady position on an NHL roster.
Good argument. Alex Daigle and Patrik Stefan say hi. So about my teams crap for Hall, Yakupov and RNH since there are former 1st overall picks who were busts. Notice how dumb this analogy is? Just as wrong and pointless as yours.

Myers had more then 1 good season. His sophomore season was good too, 37 points is pretty good for a 21 year old defenseman. Last year he had injury problems. He's struggled this year, so what. He still is a top pairing guy with franchise dman potential. He has accomplished just as much and if not more then HF sweethearts like OEL and Bogosian. Myers has a lot of trade value and is still a coveted player.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:04 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Clode's Homie

I would love to have Myers in Boston. I'd sell the farm to get him.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
The bulk of his contract, in actual dollars, was paid this year. He's only owed, like $26.5m over the next 6 years. If actual dollars were a problem, the only time it would've made sense to move him was before last July 1.
Money is not an issue. Either with Myers or the organization in general.
5.5 is a lot to pay a d man that sucks. Ask Komisarek.

But like I said, I doubt they will move him. They are committed to him already. They spent a ******** of money, and all they got was a big rotten egg. Pegula must be pissed.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
TOML

Most defensemen these days just put 3yrs worth of work and then cash out.

Myers did only one year, but still got the cash.

Basically, they saw 6'-8" and dreamed about Chara, who took YEARS to develop into the player he is today.

Now, Myers will never be Chara, but i'm wondering if GM's will stop giving these guys unearned contracts.

Hahaha, who am i kidding?

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:26 PM
AirBriere48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I think every team would love to have him, but I don't think many would offer up the price Sabres fans would be happy with. If Buffalo wants to move him, it will be for less than what HF Sabres fans will want. For sure.
Thanks, we appreciate your certainty.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Rasmus Reichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by megajake View Post
Henrique>Couts but okay.
Must've missed that one but regardless couts is probably a better fit in buffalo

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Fastasaurus

Boychuk + Caron +3rd

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote