HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Tuition, Debt, Death

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I liked it and I put a ring on it

but hey, if I have to listen to those bands I might as well be able to see them too
I kind of figured. For the record, I like Paramore. Hayley has a really, really good voice. Random tidbit, her long time BF is Chad Gilbert the leading guitar player of New Found Glory.

Old
06-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I kind of figured. For the record, I like Paramore. Hayley has a really, really good voice. Random tidbit, her long time BF is Chad Gilbert the leading guitar player of New Found Glory.
Ya Paramore is solid. And I actually like No Doubt too. On a mix in my car right now. Lights is...strange. I've heard it enough that some of it has grown on me. She's much better live than on CD actually. Way way less electronic.

And Hayley being married to New Found Glory is sort of neat. The guys in Paramore were doing flips and **** on stage. That was also neat.

Old
06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Ya Paramore is solid. And I actually like No Doubt too. On a mix in my car right now. Lights is...strange. I've heard it enough that some of it has grown on me. She's much better live than on CD actually. Way way less electronic.

And Hayley being married to New Found Glory is sort of neat. The guys in Paramore were doing flips and **** on stage. That was also neat.
Yeah Lights I'm not so into although she did background vocals on a Silverstein song and they're rad in my opinion.

I like No Doubt as well. Not a band I'd listen to often but good live.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

League of Legends has sucked me back in with its officially endorsed ARAM

Old
06-27-2013, 09:38 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I promised jams and jams I bring.

Lowlife - "Eternity Road" (A side, eponymous single, 1987)

RIYL: Underwater guitar, the pleasing melancholy that can only be found in the solitude of nature.

Sad Lovers and Giants - "Things We Never Did" (B side, "Colourless Dream" single, 1981)

RIYL: When the chill of autumn settles into the bones.

Witchfynde - "I'd Rather Go Wild" (Cloak & Dagger LP, 1983)

RIYL: Dabbling in the occult, being a real piece of work with no time for polite society.

Voivod - "Suck Your Bone" (War and Pain LP, 1984)

RIYL: ESL metal, avoiding Dr. Who because it fails to promise a satisfactory level of violence.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:44 PM
invictus

I need some advice, team. Here are some initial facts to keep in mind.

1. I have been working for a charity under contract for a year now. I saved up my sick days and paid vacation and set it up so I am now done working but am getting paid for about 3 more weeks.
2. My lease runs through December, but I can break it for only $100 if I do so before the end of July.
3. I have a very good job that has been offered to me on the other side of the country. Everything is good to go with it. It is mine. Offered and accepted. The downside is I cannot start for a few months (their delay, not mine).

So, what do I do?

A) Stay where I am, get another job doing whatever.
Pros: I get to put off moving for a bit. More time with local friends (I went to college around here and won't be back often after moving), etc....

Cons: The job market is not the best here so it would probably be a sucky job. I'd basically be working just to pay my rent just to have a place to sleep before getting up to go to work (sort of like regular life, I guess. but the absurdity is magnified since it is short-term-ish). Also, breaking the lease after July is over would be trickier and potentially more costly.

B) Break the lease at the end of July and move home to live in the parent's basement (they live a few hours away and I usually see them on major holidays only).
Pros: I can completely pocket the money I get paid for the remainder of my contract. I get to spend some time with the family before moving out of state. No rent, etc....Plus it is, at worst, only going to be 3 months max.

Cons: Being in your late 20's and living at home, lol. Self-explanatory. I haven't lived in that town for almost a decade. Small farm community away from all the connections I've built since, etc...

C) Break the lease, put stuff in storage, and try to take an extended road trip around the US visiting friends and family. Aim to stay a short enough time to not make people hate me.
Pros: Get to see all the nieces/nephews, old friends and such before starting this new career job which will not allow for much time off at first.

Cons: Could be pricey (gas, going out everywhere when I am visiting people, etc...), and I could run out of friends/family before I run out of time to kill.

D) Break my current lease and move into someplace way cheaper in my same town that only has month-to-month leases.
Pros: The benefits of Option A with less of the downsides. I'd get to see all the friends longer, cut my costs in half, have no lease-breaking issues, and get a practice mini-move just across town to help me decide what I really want to keep before the big move.
Cons: I save money over staying where I am, but not as much as moving home. It is kind of an in-between option in many ways. But it is worse in terms of not getting to travel or do anything exciting.

So, any thoughts? Financially, I'd rank the options: B, D, C, A while fun/enjoyment-wise I'd rank them: C, D, A, B. Thus, if I assigned a point-value of 4-1 for best of each category I would arrive at the following:

A=1+2 3 points
B=4+1 5 points
C=2+4 6 points
D=3+3 6 points

Really I was just typing out the pros and cons to myself and figured I'd add the mini-intro and ask for opinions, lol. Note: international travel (beyond possibly driving across either border) is precluded due to the great expense of plane tickets.

If C and D are tied, I feel drawn more to C since the cons seem lower.

Anyone think I am missing some aspect of this, or should I just throw stuff into storage and take off on a road trip? I suppose I could combine C with having B start later on after I have exhausted all travel possibilities. Thoughts?

Old
06-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 4h
Sorry I missed @thecomposure CD release party at Altar Bar. Support that band, Pittsburgh.
Rossi is now also supporting bad music.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

'd go with either B or C. Like you said, maybe some of both depending on the trip. I know I'm cutting the options that keep you living near friends, but you need to do it at some point. Have yourself a nice going away party and just rip the bandaid right off. I had the complete opposite situation; I found a job and had to move and start within two weeks. But the one time going away party is something I won't forget and its a good excuse to say "look, we ALL need to get together because I don't have time to see you all individually." You could probably couch hop with some of these friends as a part of the road trip too, right?

Now if funding or places to stay runs out, or you decide to go with B completely, that's a good idea for the opposite reason. Moving is expensive, and when you get there there's probably going to be 1000 things you wish you could afford to do. Even if its just flying home to see your friends/family an extra time or two, that extra money could help a lot. I lived with my parents for about 3 months when I was 23 and it wasn't that bad. 3 months was enough to be ready to move back on, but those home cooked meals were nice. So I'd do a combination of B and C. I'd make my parents house my home base, and then go road tripping as much as I can.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 06-29-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old
06-29-2013, 11:10 AM
invictus

Quote:
'd go with either B or C. Like you said, maybe some of both depending on the trip. I know I'm cutting the options that keep you living near friends, but you need to do it at some point. Have yourself a nice going away party and just rip the bandaid right off. I had the complete opposite situation; I found a job and had to move and start within two weeks. But the one time going away party is something I won't forget and its a good excuse to say "look, we ALL need to get together because I don't have time to see you all individually." You could probably couch hop with some of these friends as a part of the road trip too, right?

Now if funding or places to stay runs out, or you decide to go with B completely, that's a good idea for the opposite reason. Moving is expensive, and when you get there there's probably going to be 1000 things you wish you could afford to do. Even if its just flying home to see your friends/family an extra time or two, that extra money could help a lot. I lived with my parents for about 3 months when I was 23 and it wasn't that bad. 3 months was enough to be ready to move back on, but those home cooked meals were nice. So I'd do a combination of B and C. I'd make my parents house my home base, and then go road tripping as much as I can.
I think you are right in how to go about it. Besides, I can always use a reminder of why I don't want to live on a farm

Now there are just the big questions of which things to put in storage and what to sell/throw away/give away.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I think you are right in how to go about it. Besides, I can always use a reminder of why I don't want to live on a farm

Now there are just the big questions of which things to put in storage and what to sell/throw away/give away.
ya moving sucks. With the quick move, I ended up in an apartment about half the size of my old place.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:34 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
My new pedalboard

I got pretty sick of having to fuss with cables and all that **** when setting up for a show that I found a suitcase and made a portable pedalboard out of it. I thought I would post it here and the steps I took incase anyone else wanted to try it.

First I found a briefcase, and bought some 2x2's as well as the board with the holes in it. (not sure of the actual name for this) cut everything to size.

Assembled the base frame and added a hinge so it will be easy to rearrange the pedals or ad pedals in the future.

placed the "cork" board. (also I drilled some of the holes in this bigger so cables would fit through them, not pictured though)

Screwed the base into the briefcase

Showing how the hinge will work/purpose

Started to add my pedals to determine where to drill bigger holes and place velcro

And the finished product:

All packed up and ready for gigging.
Also allows you to store other things underneath, like extra cables or strings, or picks, etc.

Will eventually add more pedals.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

that seems cool. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems cool

Old
06-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Superstar Shane

Anyone ever been to Las Vegas? Would I want a rental car, or is most everything walkable and/or is the public transportation good?

Old
06-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Shane View Post
Anyone ever been to Las Vegas? Would I want a rental car, or is most everything walkable and/or is the public transportation good?
Everything is walkable is you're staying on the strip and don't mind walking up to a mile or so. I wouldn't recommend walking too far in the 115 degree heat they're having now. If not, all of the hotels have shuttles. If you're going off the strip, you need to take a cab. Never taken a bus or anything like that.

If you're staying off the strip, car rentals are typically pretty cheap, but if you get there late in the day, the rental car companies tend to have given away your car (like the Seinfeld episode), or maybe they've gotten better in the last few years.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

That's pretty ingenious Sub. Never seen anything like that before.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:38 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Yeah, I really like that. Nice workmanship.

I did something similar but not nearly as well thought out and built. I just found an old hardshell briefcase at a flea market and more or less just ripped out everything that was in it, plopped my favorite/most used boxes in there with some velcro and wired them together. Like a savage. I did get enough motivation to glue a hunk of 2x4 into it to prop the back row of boxes up enough for my foot to get to. But that was about the limits of my innovation/workmanship. I especially like the wire hooks you mounted on the outside for your patch cord.

Anyway... nicely done. It's cool to see someone with a similar idea... except actually done right. One thing that wasn't clear from your pictures is if you're a BOSS fan, or not.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:23 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Yeah, I really like that. Nice workmanship.

I did something similar but not nearly as well thought out and built. I just found an old hardshell briefcase at a flea market and more or less just ripped out everything that was in it, plopped my favorite/most used boxes in there with some velcro and wired them together. Like a savage. I did get enough motivation to glue a hunk of 2x4 into it to prop the back row of boxes up enough for my foot to get to. But that was about the limits of my innovation/workmanship. I especially like the wire hooks you mounted on the outside for your patch cord.

Anyway... nicely done. It's cool to see someone with a similar idea... except actually done right. One thing that wasn't clear from your pictures is if you're a BOSS fan, or not.
not exclusively, but of the pedals shown I like those a lot. However the volume pedal is a Berringer and it is terrible.. haha good thing I only use it to mute my guitar..

Im actually looking for a decent EQ pedal, which probably wont be a boss.. so theres that.. haha

Old
07-01-2013, 09:56 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

EQs are extremely useful to have. MXR makes a really nice 6 band and deluxe 10 band models. Kinda pricey... but they're built like tanks. Joyo makes a 6 band that is basically a clone of the MXR model, except at about half the price. Build quality is not quite as nice. Biyang makes a nice one, too that falls somewhere in the middle of the MXR and Joyo in terms of quality. They'll all accomplish basically the same exact thing... it's just a matter of whether or not you trust a "bargain" brand for gigging. Personally, I have a couple of cheapies (including a Behringer Digital Delay) on my board that haven't let me down, yet, after years of playing. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

But the Joyo pedals are actually all very, very nice for bargain brands. Metal enclosures, nice switches, true bypass (if that's important to you) and really, really nice sound quality for the price. Their Tube Screamer clone is friggin' awesome.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Shane View Post
Pretty much everything on the strip is in walking distance, and if not they're reachable by alternative methods. The heat is worth taking into account, but I don't think renting a car is really worthwhile there.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
07-01-2013, 10:31 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Been on a Stone Sour and Hank Williams III kick lately.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-02-2013, 12:45 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Been on a Stone Sour and Hank Williams III kick lately.
Sweet. Hank III rules.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:09 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

So I went and saw Black Roses at a local indie theater's "Mondo Monday" feature and, man, is it just me or does the B movie crowd suck? Lots of MST3K wannabes (I love that show but it's such a bad influence on some people) and the whole thing was drenched in really tacky ironic posturing. Some dweeb stood up there for a good 20 minutes before they played the thing droning on with his insipid introduction/commentary.

It was a great film, but really disappointing presentation by the theater and an insufferable crowd. Some people think they're so clever to be pointing out what a joke it all is, but they just don't appreciate these things for what they are. I seriously entertained thoughts of attacking (verbally or physically) the idiot behind me, especially. ****ing ****.

Massively disappointing experience.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:03 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Sweet. Hank III rules.
I honestly think he's better than his dad in all aspects.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I've seen Hank III a couple times. Surprisingly impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
I honestly think he's better than his dad in all aspects.
Well... that isn't too hard to accomplish, IMO. Hank Jr. is kind of a hack.

Now Hank III's grandaddy, on the other hand...

Old
07-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Now Hank III's grandaddy, on the other hand...
so good that Al Green felt compelled to cover him. now that's saying something.

Closed Thread