HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Tuition, Debt, Death

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
24 hours after finishing it my mind is still trying to wrap itself around Bioshock Infinite. I'm so deeply saddened that I'll never be able to play it for the first time again...I don't think I've ever felt that way about a game.
I know exactly how you feel. I hate throwing around the word "masterpiece" but this game was just that. It makes you think days after playing it.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:53 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
24 hours after finishing it my mind is still trying to wrap itself around Bioshock Infinite. I'm so deeply saddened that I'll never be able to play it for the first time again...I don't think I've ever felt that way about a game.

If anyone is going to take the bait and talk about it (damn it, guys, if you haven't played and beaten this game yet why bother existing?) please be kind and use the spoiler tag if talking about any spoilers. The review I posted, which may be the best video game review I've ever come across for what it's worth, does it's best to remain entirely spoiler-less...which is pretty damn impressive.
Yeah, I finished it by playing for about 5 hours on Saturday night, reflected and read on it for a couple hours, then I dreamed about and it was the first thing I thought of when I woke up on Sunday. Unfortunately a few days later the depression is settling in because I will never experience anything like that again.

The last line of the game....hoooooly **** man. And it was amazing before that too, the entire last 20 minutes are like my favorite thing ever and
Spoil:
you don't even really do anything, just watch it unfold.

Also I literally gasped and dropped the controller when
Spoil:
the silhouette of Elizabeth pulls you up onto the ledge and you see New York burning and she's 80 years old.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership

Edit - Bahh, the spoiler tags won't work with youtube videos...So I'll just post these songs instead because I love them

Old
04-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Yeah, I finished it by playing for about 5 hours on Saturday night, reflected and read on it for a couple hours, then I dreamed about and it was the first thing I thought of when I woke up on Sunday. Unfortunately a few days later the depression is settling in because I will never experience anything like that again.

The last line of the game....hoooooly **** man. And it was amazing before that too, the entire last 20 minutes are like my favorite thing ever and
Spoil:
you don't even really do anything, just watch it unfold.

Also I literally gasped and dropped the controller when
Spoil:
the silhouette of Elizabeth pulls you up onto the ledge and you see New York burning and she's 80 years old.
My jaw was on the floor when both of those things happened. Crazy.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

someone should buy me this game or send me their copy. I'ill send it back when I finish it. I can't justify throwing down 60 bucks for a video game right now sadly

Old
04-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Rico Fatastic

I'll never understand how people (aside from independently wealthy folks like Big McLargehuge) can afford to drop $60 on a video game. I think I've spent more than $20 on a game once in the past half dozen years or so. I'm a few years behind in gaming, but it works fine for me. I'll be finishing up Fallout: New Vegas soon, and I'll move on to Dragon Age: Origins. I spent about $20 or $25 on those two games combined, and I don't need a dedicated gaming console or a $900 computer to run them. Then 2 or 3 years from now when Bioshock Infinite is $20, I'll buy it, and it'll be just as awesome for me then as it is for all of you now.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

vCash: 2563
Rent it. It's not a terribly long game (the 10-12 hour figure I've heard thrown about is garbage...if you're a pro gamer who doesn't care about story or setting, then yeah...but you're ignoring the entire point of the game. Anything less than 15 is rushing it. I took 20 and still missed 25 voxophones. I really don't throw stuff around like this too easily but it is a must play and, to echo Sh00ter, it's a masterpiece. It is the single greatest storytelling experience in video game history...that doesn't necessarily make it the best video game ever, but definitely one of the most remarkable experiences and the best case a game has made for regarding the field as legitimate art.

I listened to a couple podcasts discussing the game and it's just mind-blowing to hear people talk about details that I (and in most case, everyone else on the podcast) missed...such as
Spoil:
Early on the Lutece status shifts between Rosalind, Robert, and back to Rosalind. The numerous occurrences of 123, meaning this is the 123rd ****ing time they've tried to solve things. The play acting early before the obvious set-up at Battleship Bay - the sauerkraut thing and 'mistaking' Elizabeth for Annabelle...

One thing that I can't decide if it bugs me or not is the Songbird...which definitely played into the game less than was originally anticipated...but part of me loves the fact that not only do you not fight what you assumed you'd be fighting at the end of the game, but he actually is sorta under your control in that final fight. His limited role works on a lot of levels, but it also feels there could have been more involving him throughout the game. On the flip-side, tying him in with the original Bioshock...that was just sheer brilliance and it worked so oddly well. I had no expectations of this game actually existing in the same realm as the original...but...Jesus. That E3 demo from 2011 showed what I was expecting the tie-in to be - a fish tank

Spoil:
On a different note...the music. The way the music worked in this game - especially the instances of Fink's brother stealing "God Only Knows" and then the tears of "Fortunate Son" and "Girls Just Want to Have Fun". Finally realizing what was going on with the tears with that "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" thing was mind-blowing...so much so that I actually wandered off the stage and had to be revived by Elizabeth...and that whole revival thing raises even more questions now.

edit: Independently wealthy? Son, I work at a coffee shop

I just have messed-up priorities.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 04-09-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old
04-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership

Quote:

Jeremiah Fink provides safe, profitable work for all those seeking independent wealth

Old
04-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

Hey, I'm only like 20% Irish.

Sh00ter - Just link the videos you wanted to share in the spoiler...it won't kill us to copy & paste it. I'm interested to see what ones you had in mind.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:57 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
I came to a realization today

I don't use my phone that often. And when I do, it's more out of boredom than necessity. Texting at work, maybe check in here from work while slacking.

My Galaxy S2 bit it this morning. Pretty much out of nowhere. It's under warranty, so getting a free replacement...in 5 days! It's on backorder.

I can't find my prior phone (original Galaxy), so have my mom's old Samsung flip phone for about a week now. And it's driving me crazy. Never realized how dependent I was on my phone.
Bumping this, because I need you young whippersnappers to tell this rapidly approaching middle age old fart what he's doing wrong.

So, my replacement S2 arrived Monday (actually 2 days quicker than promised).

I was running Gingerbread, but new phone arrived with Ice Cream Sandwich running. No biggie, whatever.

In the 36 hours or so since then, my battery is draining like crazy (was only shipped new phone from Samsung, as there was, in theory, no problem with the battery, only about 8 months old).

Last night watching the game, I was plugged in, not running Wifi, only 2 apps running...and the battery was draining while plugged in!

This morning, looking online, completely wiped everything and started over. I added back only a handful of apps, and had none running.

Phone was getting pretty warm, only from minimal use, and not charging at the time.

Installed a battery monitor which said the battery temp was 114F, and that 61% of power usage was from the screen.

Double checked I have screen settings at the lowest possible (10%, and timeout after 15 seconds).

While doing just these simple tasks, watched my remaining battery drop from 72% to 68% in about 5 minutes.

So...WTH? Is it as simple as my battery can't handle running the updated OS?

Old
04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Rico Fatastic

Quote:

I just have messed-up priorities.
Yes, but you serve coffee... to the stars!

Old
04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

Try the Geek Emporium...aside from saying Ice Cream Sandwich is a resource hog I don't think there's much I can say...

The biggest difficulty for me going from iPhone 4 to Galaxy SIII has been the battery life.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Try the Geek Emporium...aside from saying Ice Cream Sandwich is a resource hog I don't think there's much I can say...

The biggest difficulty for me going from iPhone 4 to Galaxy SIII has been the battery life.
Thanks. Posted over there.

I'm leaning towards battery issue. If I am in sleep mode, the OS is still running (unless I'm a total idiot). I can be off the charger in sleep mode and, while still losing charge faster than usual, nothing extreme. Compared to being plugged in and surfing the web and LOSING a charge.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#Leadership

Quote:
Sh00ter - Just link the videos you wanted to share in the spoiler...it won't kill us to copy & paste it. I'm interested to see what ones you had in mind.
Good point...
Spoil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8jNo5qeHs
This scene stood out to me because it pretty much completed Elizabeth's transformation. She goes from being a girl who "just wants to have fun" (yes I intended to do that) to learning about who she really is and being forced to murder Daisy Fitzroy. Cutting her hair seemed to symbolize that last sever in her innocence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtwsExTdIoo
This was a projection that was played late in the game when you're trying to find Elizabeth after Songbird gets her. This almost put me into a state of depression because of all the negative things Elizabeth says Of course, this was before we learned about the multiple universes so I was just in shock and was wondering what the hell I did wrong It doesn't help that a gloomy version of Canon in D Major is playing in the background either.

It's the little things like these two things that make this game so incredible. Ken Levine, you are a hero.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Shady Machine

Too much video game talk in here.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Randy Butternubs

vCash: 50
I just downloaded the TellTale Walking Dead games from Steam for $10.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

Old
04-11-2013, 01:00 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
For my fellow wrastlin' nerds:

Faaaaaaaandaaaaaaaaaannnngggooooooooooo

Old
04-11-2013, 01:05 AM
WickedWrister

Even if you don't like the FPS genre, you'll probably still enjoy this game due to the fact that it's absolutely beautiful and it's got storytelling on par with any academy award winning film. Actually, probably better because video games are interactive which allows you to become more immersed in what's going on. The score was also fantastic.

The most satisfying Vigor has got to be Charge though, nothing like impaling a dude and then splitting his face open from the inside.

Spoil:
In the alternate universe where the Vox took over and you went through the slums. I had low health and just had to steal from that pile of fruit that was being guarded. The guy warned me several times and then eventually counted to three before he was going to pull a weapon. On 2 I doused him in fire, but I felt really bad doing it.

Any suggestions for a game with a longer, possibly multiplayer experience? I've been rocking FIFA and Halo since they launched but I feel like I need a new one.

Last edited by WickedWrister: 04-11-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old
04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
66-30-33

Going to doctors in the next few days. Been having bad chest pains (aswell as back pains) for 2 weeks and my BP (blood pressure) is 170/110. Sometimes i have to take a few breaks at work because my chest pains (sleeping 4-5 hrs a night doesn't help either), also slamming down 5 hour energy and taking caffine pills isn't helping either, nor eating out alot.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Going to doctors in the next few days. Been having bad chest pains (aswell as back pains) for 2 weeks and my BP (blood pressure) is 170/110. Sometimes i have to take a few breaks at work because my chest pains (sleeping 4-5 hrs a night doesn't help either), also slamming down 5 hour energy and taking caffine pills isn't helping either, nor eating out alot.
Sorry to hear that and I hope you feel better. I used to swill large amounts of Monster Energy before games until I started to feel ill. I thought I was ok as I deemed myself in decent shape but I constantly felt tired and lethargic and got little to no sleep. I cut out the energy drinks on the bench in between shifts and completely stopped drinking coffee and eating fast food. Just those things alone helped tremendously.
The energy drinks and pills with the amount of caffeine and sugar in them, are the worst thing in the world for you.

Last edited by Axman: 04-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 07:31 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Sorry to hear that and I hope you feel better. I used to swill large amounts of Monster Energy before games until I started to feel ill. I thought I was ok as I deemed myself in decent shape but I constantly felt tired and lethargic and got little to no sleep. I cut out the energy drinks on the bench in between shifts and completely stopped drinking coffee and eating fast food. Just those things alone helped tremendously.
The energy drinks and pills with the amount of caffeine and sugar in them, are the worst thing in the world for you.
But the high you get makes you feel so good. BP 180/110 or above means you're in the hospital, i'm in heart attack/stroke territory and i'm 28, how sad is that? i'm 5'10 220 atm.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Rico Fatastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Any suggestions for a game with a longer, possibly multiplayer experience? I've been rocking FIFA and Halo since they launched but I feel like I need a new one.
If you've never played the Mass Effect series, I would recommend it. I haven't played the third yet (it's still more than $20), but the first is excellent, and the second is pretty good too. The third, from my understanding, has a multiplayer element; but the first two don't.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
I just downloaded the TellTale Walking Dead games from Steam for $10.
I've played through 3 chapters so far. amazing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
brilliant

Old
04-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
But the high you get makes you feel so good. BP 180/110 or above means you're in the hospital, i'm in heart attack/stroke territory and i'm 28, how sad is that? i'm 5'10 220 atm.
Oh I know; the rush you get from the drinks makes me believe I'm thinking faster on the ice. I don't know if that's due to increased blood flow to the brain or what but it became addicting. I felt like I needed it every game or I wouldn't play as well. While playing hockey 3x a week I was a solid 210 or so at 6' tall but now I've got a hip flexor issue that has me off the ice for a month. If I don't stop eating crap, it's not going to be easy to get back my conditioning back.
I wouldn't worry too much as long as you dump the caffeine products. I'm not a doc but you'll prob be told to clean up your diet and limit the caff. Last season we had a guy that had a heart attack on the ice; that was my wake up call.

Closed Thread