HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 Lineup Assassination Thread - Bob Cole Division

Old
04-03-2013, 12:43 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Count me as another guy who likes Kennedy on the 1st line. Like EB said, with Teeder there you can play that line for big minutes. As far as playmaking is concerned, they're likely going to be out there with Red Kelly a lot of the time, so he will contribute. I also think Keats' playmaking is overrated, and that he is more of a balanced scorer. If you check out my Frank Fredrickson bio, there's an analysis that Sturminator did a couple years ago that includes Keats and part of the conclusion is that the numbers don't back up Keats as a great playmaker. It could be due to some different use of the word "playmaker" back then, that some people seem to have uncovered.

Also, glad to see you and MB were able to work out a more fair deal.
I definitely agree with that. I would still say he's incline into playmaking, but he was not AS great of a playmaker, and quite a decent goalscorer.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Count me as another guy who likes Kennedy on the 1st line. Like EB said, with Teeder there you can play that line for big minutes. As far as playmaking is concerned, they're likely going to be out there with Red Kelly a lot of the time, so he will contribute. I also think Keats' playmaking is overrated, and that he is more of a balanced scorer. If you check out my Frank Fredrickson bio, there's an analysis that Sturminator did a couple years ago that includes Keats and part of the conclusion is that the numbers don't back up Keats as a great playmaker. It could be due to some different use of the word "playmaker" back then, that some people seem to have uncovered.

Interesting, the more I think about it the more I think I may load up on the 1st line. By going with an offensive minded 3rd line I can use the 2nd line as a line that can be used against first or 2nd lines as well.

By Keats being a more balanced offensive player, he will mesh better with Rousseau, and Ketas and Watson will have enough toughness and puck winning

Quote:
MB and I have had a great dialogue for the past 2-3 months a trade. I'm not happy with the slack his team is receiving, I will be in shock if his team doesn't finished top 2 in his division.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:08 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
MB and I have had a great dialogue for the past 2-3 months a trade. I'm not happy with the slack his team is receiving, I will be in shock if his team doesn't finished top 2 in his division.
Well, to be honest, that first trade would have been horrendous for him. Eddie Gerard is a far more solid presence in the backend than Ken Reardon. Also, although you don't need a good backup, I think MB team is one team that needed one, and he got one of the best. I also made my analysis of his team after the trade. Go look it out.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Count me as another guy who likes Kennedy on the 1st line. Like EB said, with Teeder there you can play that line for big minutes. As far as playmaking is concerned, they're likely going to be out there with Red Kelly a lot of the time, so he will contribute. I also think Keats' playmaking is overrated, and that he is more of a balanced scorer. If you check out my Frank Fredrickson bio, there's an analysis that Sturminator did a couple years ago that includes Keats and part of the conclusion is that the numbers don't back up Keats as a great playmaker. His prior rep could be due to some different use of the word "playmaker" back then, that some people seem to have uncovered.

Statistically, Keats was a slightly better goal scorer than playmaker, but overall his offense is more that of an elite glue guy than an offensive catalyst.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:56 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Honestly, as much as it sucks, I think Henrik Sedin needs to center Charlie Conacher if you hope to get anything close to Charlie's best.

From what I've read, Conacher was somewhat lost without Joe Primeau's playmaking, and it makes sense - Conacher was something of a pure shooter, not much of a playmaker at all.

Ted Kennedy was a mega-intangibles guy, but I don't think he's the playmaker Conacher needs to get the most out of him. And Frank Mahovlich is another goal scorer himself.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:57 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Honestly, as much as it sucks, I think Henrik Sedin needs to center Charlie Conacher if you hope to get anything close to Charlie's best.

From what I've read, Conacher was somewhat lost without Joe Primeau's playmaking, and it makes sense - Conacher was something of a pure shooter, not much of a playmaker at all.

Ted Kennedy was a mega-intangibles guy, but I don't think he's the playmaker Conacher needs to get the most out of him. And Frank Mahovlich is another goal scorer himself.
Joe Primeau had 3 real "big" offensive seasons, and Conacher led the league in goals in every one of them(1931, 1932, 1934). But he still led the league in goals twice in 1935 and 1936 when Primeau's play began to fall off. The first in goals in 1936 appears especially impressive because Primeau had 17 points in 45 games and Busher Jackson had just 22 points in 44 games. But, the 1936 season does coincide with Bill Thoms' big year offensively, and I can't help but think maybe he moved to the top line alongside Conacher that year. It seems like his best years were Primeau's best years, but doesn't appear to have been incapable without him.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Joe Primeau had 3 real "big" offensive seasons, and Conacher led the league in goals in every one of them(1931, 1932, 1934). But he still led the league in goals twice in 1935 and 1936 when Primeau's play began to fall off. The first in goals in 1936 appears especially impressive because Primeau had 17 points in 45 games and Busher Jackson had just 22 points in 44 games. But, the 1936 season does coincide with Bill Thoms' big year offensively, and I can't help but think maybe he moved to the top line alongside Conacher that year. It seems like his best years were Primeau's best years, but doesn't appear to have been incapable without him.
Yes, in 1935-36, it appears that Thoms centered Conacher.

Here's one of the quotes I was looking for, funny enough from your own Joe Primeau bio:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn Smythe
I could have found lots of guys to go with Joe Primeau, but he was the only centre who could make Conacher and Jackson click.
http://books.google.com/books?id=fEN...page&q&f=false

These are from the HOH Top 100 project in 2008:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Just a note about Conacher: In Frank Selke's autobiography (which I recently bought at a used book store for $1), while he has plenty of compliments for Conacher, he describes Joe Primeau as being the real workhouse of the Kid Line. Basically he says that Primeau was a master at drawing away the two defencemen then passing the puck to Conacher or Jackson for an easy shot on goal.

I just thought it was interesting that since there was so much talk earlier in the voting about players like Esposito or Bossy having their goal totals boosted by their teammates, that maybe it applies to Conacher. After Primeau left the game, Conacher's numbers did take a nosedive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Conacher's production dropped more from injuries, than from a change in linemates. He played only 34 games over the next two seasons after Primeau left. Being a crease crasher when the nets didn't move was not good for your health.

Over the 7 seasons the Kid Line was together, Conacher only once played more games than Primeau, but Primeau only once out scored Conacher in points. In Primeau's last year, Conacher had more goals than Primeau had points.

Primeau might have been the key guy on the line, much like Olmstead was said to be the key guy on the top line in Montreal for much of the 50s, it is Conacher's health that was the main factor when the Kid Line struggled to produce in the playoffs. The Kid Line produced more points in the Final in Toronto's one Cup win than they did in their 3 Finals losses combined (16 to 9).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I seem to remember Conn Smythe saying basically the same thing in his autobiography.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...u#post13490396

Maybe Frank Selke and Conn Smythe were talking about Primeau's defensive ability being key to the line, so his linemates could cheat (Jackson was a notoriously poor defensive player and I doubt Charlie Conacher was much better). In that case, Ted Kennedy brings more than enough to the table. On the other hand, if they meant that Primeau's playmaking was key to the line, then I don't think Ted Kennedy is really the best fit.

Regardless, given Charlie Conacher's rather extreme goals to assists ratio (even for the era), I think getting him a more natural playmaking C would have been a better fit.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Yes, in 1935-36, it appears that Thoms centered Conacher.

Here's one of the quotes I was looking for, funny enough from your own Joe Primeau bio:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fEN...page&q&f=false

These are from the HOH Top 100 project in 2008:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...u#post13490396

Maybe Frank Selke and Conn Smythe were talking about Primeau's defensive ability being key to the line, so his linemates could cheat (Jackson was a notoriously poor defensive player and I doubt Charlie Conacher was much better). In that case, Ted Kennedy brings more than enough to the table. On the other hand, if they meant that Primeau's playmaking was key to the line, then I don't think Ted Kennedy is really the best fit.

Regardless, given Charlie Conacher's rather extreme goals to assists ratio (even for the era), I think getting him a more natural playmaking C would have been a better fit.

From this portion:

Quote:
Over the 7 seasons the Kid Line was together, Conacher only once played more games than Primeau, but Primeau only once out scored Conacher in points. In Primeau's last year, Conacher had more goals than Primeau had points.
I really think you are overvaluing Primeau, especially if you are saying he has better playmaking then Kennedy.

Look at who Primeau had for wingers and then look who Kennedy had.

Wasn't Howie Meeker a regular RW on Kennedys line? Plus one of numerous random LW?

If I need a playmaker like Primeau to play with Conacher I can slot in Sedin, but I feel as though any three of my top 3 centers can work with him. All things considered he also has Red Kelly feeding him passes as well.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:16 AM
markrander87

TDMM is this something what you are suggesting?:

Mahovlich - Kennedy - Rousseau
Watson - Sedin - Conacher
Patrick - Keats - Paiement

?

Old
04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
markrander87

It looks as though our trade has gone through, so I will post my new official roster:

Cincinnati Fireworks

GM: Markrander87
Coach: Mike Kennan
Captain: Ted Kennedy
Alternate Captains: Mike Grant, Red Kelly

Frank Mahovlich - Ted Kennedy (C) - Bobby Rousseau
Harry Watson - Henrik Sedin - Charlie Conacher
Lynn Patrick - Duke Keats - Wilf Paiement
Patrick Marleau - Steve Kasper - Cully Wilson

Red Kelly (A) - Mike Grant (A)
Ken Reardon - Gennady Tsygankov
Bill Hajt - Lennart Svedberg

George Hainsworth
Olaf Kolzig

Spares: C Sami Pahlsson , D Jack "Tex" Evans, LW Dennis Hextall, F Patrick Sharp

PP 1:

Mahovlich – Sedin – Conacher
Kelly – Rousseau

PP 2:

Patrick - Kennedy - Keats
Reardon - Svedberg

PK 1:

Kasper - Kennedy
Tsygankov - Hajt

PK 2:

Rosseau - Kelly
Reardon- Grant

Last edited by markrander87: 04-04-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 07:15 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
TDMM is this something what you are suggesting?:

Mahovlich - Kennedy - Rousseau
Watson - Sedin - Conacher
Patrick - Keats - Paiement

?
I like the looks of this top 9 a lot better.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I like the looks of this top 9 a lot better.
I'm really going back and forth haha, it will depend a lot on the type of team I play as well.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
It looks as though our trade has gone through, so I will post my new official roster:

Cincinnati Fireworks

GM: Markrander87
Coach: Mike Kennan
Captain: Ted Kennedy
Alternate Captains: Mike Grant, Red Kelly

Frank Mahovlich - Ted Kennedy (C) - Bobby Rousseau
Harry Watson - Henrik Sedin - Charlie Conacher
Lynn Patrick - Duke Keats - Wilf Paiement
Patrick Marleau - Steve Kasper - Cully Wilson

Red Kelly (A) - Mike Grant (A)
Ken Reardon - Gennady Tsygankov
Bill Hajt - Lennart Svedberg

George Hainsworth
Olaf Kolzig

Spares: C Sami Pahlsson , D Jack "Tex" Evans, LW Dennis Hextall, F Patrick Sharp

PP 1:

Mahovlich Sedin Conacher
Kelly Rousseau

PP 2:

Patrick - Kennedy - Keats
Reardon - Svedberg

PK 1:

Kasper - Kennedy
Tsygankov - Hajt

PK 2:

Rosseau - Kelly
Reardon- Grant
Before I do a review, what are your desired match-ups?

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Before I do a review, what are your desired match-ups?
It depends on the match up. If I play a top heavy top line I will have a watson - kennedy - rousseau line along with red kelly - mike grant and have either keats or sedin center mahovlich - conacher.

Not too concerned about match ups. I'm confident any one of my lines 1, 3 or 4 could play against any scoring line. I'm more concerned with having Kelly against the other teams top line.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:12 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
It depends on the match up. If I play a top heavy top line I will have a watson - kennedy - rousseau line along with red kelly - mike grant and have either keats or sedin center mahovlich - conacher.

Not too concerned about match ups. I'm confident any one of my lines 1, 3 or 4 could play against any scoring line. I'm more concerned with having Kelly against the other teams top line.
Isn't Mike Grant known as a rushing defenseman? I don't like that fit next to Red Kelly

Old
04-04-2013, 11:14 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Isn't Mike Grant known as a rushing defenseman? I don't like that fit next to Red Kelly
I have some info to post on him. But overall he was an all around player who was massive for his era, smart defensively and an excellent skater.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I have some info to post on him. But overall he was an all around player who was massive for his era, smart defensively and an excellent skater.
He was a rushing defenseman, but he was also an excellent skater and good defensively - like Red Kelly. I don't think they are a terrible match, but I'm not sure you can get the most out two rushing guys by playing them together. Thoughts?

Where are you getting that he was massive? 5'10" and 170 lbs for his era is big, but not huge. A fair size comparison would be a guy like Dion Phaneuf.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
markrander87

Quote:
He was a rushing defenseman, but he was also an excellent skater and good defensively - like Red Kelly. I don't think they are a terrible match, but I'm not sure you can get the most out two rushing guys by playing them together. Thoughts?
I realize that they both can rush the puck, but they are both strong enough defensively as well to cover if one does go for a rush. It has a lot more too, but it shows how defensive minded Grant was.

This article here is critical as it actually has Grant explain his thought process on playing defense:

Quote:
And that a forward who advances toward their goals will have to distinct men to pass instead of two men. One directly and close behind the other.

During a tussel behind or to the side of the goals, the point and cover point should never leave their positions vacant. If the one leaves his place, the other should remain in front, but never should both be away, because the absence of these men from their proper positions is the cause of more games being lost than any other fault them may commit.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...t+hockey&hl=en

Quote:
Where are you getting that he was massive? 5'10" and 170 lbs for his era is big, but not huge. A fair size comparison would be a guy like Dion Phaneuf.
For a guy who played in the 1890's thats very large.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I realize that they both can rush the puck, but they are both strong enough defensively as well to cover if one does go for a rush. It has a lot more too, but it shows how defensive minded Grant was.

This article here is critical as it actually has Grant explain his thought process on playing defense:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...t+hockey&hl=en

For a guy who played in the 1890's thats very large.
That's a good article on Grant, but it actually helps show what my argument was. Both Grant and Kelly are responsible defensively - there's no question there. With both guys, however, their primary asset is their rushing abilities. Since they can't both rush at the same time, you're always going to waste part of what they brings. As I said, it's not a bad match, but you aren't getting full value.

As for Grant's size, however big you think Dion Phaneuf is, should be how big you think Grant is. I wouldn't calls Phaneuf "massive" or even "very large". He's bigger than average, but not by a whole lot.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
markrander87

Quote:
That's a good article on Grant, but it actually helps show what my argument was. Both Grant and Kelly are responsible defensively - there's no question there. With both guys, however, their primary asset is their rushing abilities. Since they can't both rush at the same time, you're always going to waste part of what they brings. As I said, it's not a bad match, but you aren't getting full value.
Come on, we both know that this doesn't waste anything. There is only one puck in play so I don't see a scenerio where this will hurt them as a pairing at all. If anything it is a plus as they are both strong defensively, excellent skaters and can both rush the puck forcing opposing top lines to play well defensively against them.

When do both defenseman ever rush together at the same time anyways? Can you imagine the counterattack with both Red Kelly and Mike Grant on the ice together? Catching top lines on odd man rushes forcing them to think more defensively.

You are acting like I have Red Kelly paired with a one dimensional offensive guy who will be terrible at covering for him, this is clearly not the case.

Quote:
As for Grant's size, however big you think Dion Phaneuf is, should be how big you think Grant is. I wouldn't calls Phaneuf "massive" or even "very large". He's bigger than average, but not by a whole lot.
I don't understand why you keep bringing up Dion Phaneuf?

I remember you trying to sell Morenz and even Joliat as larger players due to era, so if that's the case then Grant (who was larger then both of them) and who played 20-30 years before them has to be painted with that same brush.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Come on, we both know that this doesn't waste anything. There is only one puck in play so I don't see a scenerio where this will hurt them as a pairing at all. If anything it is a plus as they are both strong defensively, excellent skaters and can both rush the puck forcing opposing top lines to play well defensively against them.

When do both defenseman ever rush together at the same time anyways? Can you imagine the counterattack with both Red Kelly and Mike Grant on the ice together? Catching top lines on odd man rushes forcing them to think more defensively.

You are acting like I have Red Kelly paired with a one dimensional offensive guy who will be terrible at covering for him, this is clearly not the case.

I remember you trying to sell Morenz and even Joliat as larger players due to era, so if that's the case then Grant (who was larger then both of them) and who played 20-30 years before them has to be painted with that same brush.
He's not trying to say they won't be able to cover for each other, he's saying that they each may not be able to rush the puck as many times a game as they want because the other guy will be rushing. I think this is a fair point.

On the other hand, I think yours is a good point also...having two rushing defensemen will make it harder for opponents to key on either of them individually.

I find it hard to believe anyone would try to pass of Joliat as large...Are you sure he just wasn't saying that Joliat is larger than his real life height and weight?

Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:

That's my point. They won't both rush at the same time. If you have Paul Coffey with Sergei Gonchar, they might both go at the same time, but that's worse than your situation.

There is only one puck, and there are only so many chances to jump into the offense. When those chances come up, one of your guys is going to have to stay back, which will waste his best asset.

As I said, it's not a terrible thing, but you aren't going to get full value out of that pair. The result will be less than the sum of each part, so to speak.

I'm doing the exact same thing for Mike Grant that I did for Morenz and Joliat. I'm even using the same formula. He's just not as big as you're selling him as. Compared to his peers, he was about as big as Dion Phaneuf is compared to his peers. Big but not overly so.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
markrander87

Quote:
He's not trying to say they won't be able to cover for each other, he's saying that they each may not be able to rush the puck as many times a game as they want because the other guy will be rushing. I think this is a fair point.

On the other hand, I think yours is a good point also...having two rushing defensemen will make it harder for opponents to key on either of them individually.

I find it hard to believe anyone would try to pass of Joliat as large...Are you sure he just wasn't saying that Joliat is larger than his real life height and weight?
I think issues like this are not looked upon as highly as they should be in the ATD. Having a partner like Grant allows more room for Kelly to operate and vice versa, if teams could game plan against stopping Red Kelly from rushing the puck because his partner is no offensive threat at all that would be a large disadvantage to him.

Just so it's clear, I plan on using Kelly-Grant against top lines, and the game plan is too have a strong counter attack to force offensive players to perhaps play a little more cautiously in the offensive end.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:52 AM
markrander87

Something I did not know about Red Kelly:

Quote:
Some of Kelly's lessons were not only what to do on the ice, but how to stay on the ice. "I had a temper. I had red hair," Kelly laughs. "I was the welterweight boxing champ at St. Mike's. I could take care of myself. Joe Primeau taught me you don't win games in the penalty box. You've got to stay on the ice. Players would try to get you off the ice sometimes but you're more valuable to a team when you're on the ice."
http://www.hhof.com/htmlSpotlight/sp...ep196903.shtml

Old
04-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
I think issues like this are not looked upon as highly as they should be in the ATD. Having a partner like Grant allows more room for Kelly to operate and vice versa, if teams could game plan against stopping Red Kelly from rushing the puck because his partner is no offensive threat at all that would be a large disadvantage to him.
It is a rare thing in NHL history for two puck-carrying defensemen to play together as a pairing, though maybe that's partly due to their scarcity relative to more defensive guys. You're definitely going to reach a point of diminishing returns somewhere. The question is just where.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote