HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Speculation Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
One thing I'm afraid of is when he gets to UFA he gets insane offers like more than what he makes now. Then he could ask us to match (Like Salvador did, he said just as much) rather than just giving him $5.5-$6 million before he gets there.

I really hate to say this cause I love Sal, but if there were an older player we decided to move on from (Like we did Sykora) it probably should have been him. We already had 7 defensemen signed for this year before we locked him up. Even if we hadn't re signed Harrold but re signed Sal we'd still have an NHL caliber defensemen like Fayne sitting if everyone was healthy.
I don't think you're thinking rationally about this situation...

Old
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Bleedred
Dainius Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Which part? Re signing Salvador? Or Patty?

Old
03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
The Devils haven't had a consistent roster since day 1. I'm not saying don't criticize the current team, but the fact is we barely know what the team looks like THIS year, let alone next. We're not scoring a lot, sure. But go back through the roster and see how different it's looked from month to month. Lou might have assembled a great team this season, and we'll never know because we haven't seen it play.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:11 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Would you trade Larsson for John Carlson? Hypothetically of course. Yes
No way in hell.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I think you're misreading the quote. Lou's not looking to ADD a big splash. Doesn't mean he won't try to deal with the defense issue - if the forward core is set in Lou's eyes, Albany still needs a lot of help as does the future of our forward core.

Exactly. The UFA market is bone dry, but this summer is going to be ripe with movement.
There are at least a handful of young teams with a boatload of RFAs to sign that will have cap issues.
And there are currently an equal number of teams that are at/near/above next years cap - without taking extensions/raises/roster space into consideration.

That'll give Lou time to lock down the necessary UFAs/RFAs on this team and then make a few phone calls.

Marty wasn't going anywhere and neither is Elias.
It's not even worth worrying about, really.
Marty did say himself that he had to start thinking that he might not of come back here. The Devils were very reluctant to give him a 2 yr deal while other teams were throwing 2 yr deals and more money at him. If Lou doesn't offer that 2nd year I think Marty is wearing either a Blackhawk,Leaf or Panther jersey ( the rumored teams )

Old
03-27-2013, 04:14 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
I already said Larsson in a trade is off limits to me, but hypothetically I wouldn't trade any defensemen at all for Larsson.
I am taking the same position as you, you cannot evaluate Larsson yet give him a few more seasons at least.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
There has been considerable talk of Ryan Whitney being traded to BOS and Bruins have certainly done due diligence on his health etc., but..

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
...the Edmonton Oilers say they haven't traded Whitney to BOS or anywhere else. That's as of now. No doubt they're trying to move him..

Old
03-27-2013, 04:20 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is something the majority of fans often forget. How volatile and important chemistry is to a long term stability of a team.

Even if all the pieces aren't there for a run this year, Lou will not sacrifice next year, or the year after, etc. for this year. It's a balancing act choosing between short team need and long term plans. Lou is one of the best in the business at walking that tight rope.
How do you gather that from the quote or Lou's actions?

Adding pieces = trading prospects/draft picks for role/rental players
Splash = trading roster players for a big-name addition (i.e. the Kovy deal, Mogilny deal, etc)

He's certainly not ruling out #1. #2's probably not in the cards for a variety of reasons anyway. And he's already traded like four draft picks over the next two years, I wouldn't say being without a 3, two 5's and a 7 sacrifices the future per se (even without a #1 in the process) but still.

Quote:
I don't see what was wrong with the particular message you quoted, other than maybe Bleed saying Elias would get 'more' money than he is now. I'm not sure it happens since teams are penny-pinching this offseason but it's possible when the dust settles someone goes crazy and overpays on a shorter-term deal, look at Buffalo's alleged offer to Doan last offseason (4-30). It wouldn't shock me if someone offers Elias something insane like that, assuming the wrong team has cap space and money to spend. Especially considering - like with Doan - other teams know it's going to take crazy overpayment to get Elias to consider leaving.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Marty did say himself that he had to start thinking that he might not of come back here. The Devils were very reluctant to give him a 2 yr deal while other teams were throwing 2 yr deals and more money at him. If Lou doesn't offer that 2nd year I think Marty is wearing either a Blackhawk,Leaf or Panther jersey ( the rumored teams )
I think the Parise contract + CBA uncertainty + teams financial situation had a lot to do with that. When he said that, I saw that more of a "what if the Devils don't have room for me anymore?" That's how I took it.

He wanted that 2nd year, and honestly... as much as they didn't want to do it, could you imagine Lou cutting ties with Marty over 1 year? To me that was without question.

It's funny.. I was away on a whirlwind business trip at the time, and I didn't even realize that it anyone was any kind of issue until I signed onto here

With the lack of access to inside info - everybody sees these things differently, though, I guess.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:22 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
One thing I'm afraid of is when he gets to UFA he gets insane offers like more than what he makes now. Then he could ask us to match (Like Salvador did, he said just as much) rather than just giving him $5.5-$6 million before he gets there.

I really hate to say this cause I love Sal, but if there were an older player we decided to move on from (Like we did Sykora) it probably should have been him. We already had 7 defensemen signed for this year before we locked him up. Even if we hadn't re signed Harrold but re signed Sal we'd still have an NHL caliber defensemen like Fayne sitting if everyone was healthy.
Can't believe Lou matched this, knowing what we had on defense for this year.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
day1devilsfan

Anyone think this is a good deal:

To NJ: Jokinen

To CAR: Tallinder

We get another forward who needs a change of scenery + we save $375,000 in cap room.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1devilsfan View Post

We get another forward who needs a change of scenery + we save $375,000 in cap room.
It'd be a great deal - if you could get us or Carolina to switch conferences. Like I said in the other thread (I believe apice beat you to this proposal) I really can't see playoff rivals this year/division rivals next year swap useful parts and help the other one out in the process.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
Can't believe Lou matched this, knowing what we had on defense for this year.
It's unfortunate, but in the same breath we always speak towards Lou's loyalty to his players.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by day1devilsfan View Post

Done deal by me. Tallinder's injury speculations might not be helping matters, though. Plus, Carolina is trying to open 3 million of cap space, not replace it.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Bleedred
Dainius Zubrus

Salvador did ask Lou and the Devils to match. I just went back to read the article too again.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...year_contract/

Now we can argue if he desired to test the UFA market or not, but we'll get nowhere on that. We don't know him personally, but he did go as far as to say the Devils matched. He also said he was trying to hold out for Carle, and Suter (Obviously he signed before Suter did by a day) so maybe he was seeking a big pay day because of his playoffs I'm sure he knew he was in for one.

So I can see the same thing happening to Patty. Doan got stupid offers last year, and in my opinion (And many others on here I'm sure) Patty is the better player and only a year older than Doan was last Summer. I can see a team offering him stupid money. That's why before Zajac re signed I said we'd need to re sign him too before the market, provided he wanted to stay. I said after he signed that his contract isn't so bad cause he could have gotten that on the market.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:04 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It'd be a great deal - if you could get us or Carolina to switch conferences. Like I said in the other thread (I believe apice beat you to this proposal) I really can't see playoff rivals this year/division rivals next year swap useful parts and help the other one out in the process.
It's a good point, but at the same time temas trade within the conference all the time. Next year gets a little foggy because we realign with Carolina in the division, but it's not like we've never traded with NYI, PHI, or PIT before.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:14 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
It's a good point, but at the same time temas trade within the conference all the time. Next year gets a little foggy because we realign with Carolina in the division, but it's not like we've never traded with NYI, PHI, or PIT before.
No but what's the 'biggest' deal we made with any of them? Claude-Wendell Clark-Steve Thomas pre-'96 season is the only real big one that 'involved' the Isles but the Isles didn't get Claude. Beezer-Terreri sort of, when they sucked anyway. Scott Daniels was literally the only deal I ever remember making with Philly. Don't remember too many recent ones with Pittsburgh either. Maybe when they were bad we probably did a couple of deals.

It's also pretty rare for teams in the same conference trading roster players with each other if they're both in the playoff hunt. I can't remember an instance offhand. Usually when conference teams trade, one of them's a seller and one's a buyer. I mean can anyone remember a Nieuwy-Arnott type trade between two teams in the same conference in-season where one team wasn't completely out of it and in full sell mode like a liquidating Pens team pre-lockout?

Old
03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Salvador did ask Lou and the Devils to match. I just went back to read the article too again.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...year_contract/

Now we can argue if he desired to test the UFA market or not, but we'll get nowhere on that. We don't know him personally, but he did go as far as to say the Devils matched. He also said he was trying to hold out for Carle, and Suter (Obviously he signed before Suter did by a day) so maybe he was seeking a big pay day because of his playoffs I'm sure he knew he was in for one.

So I can see the same thing happening to Patty. Doan got stupid offers last year, and in my opinion (And many others on here I'm sure) Patty is the better player and only a year older than Doan was last Summer. I can see a team offering him stupid money. That's why before Zajac re signed I said we'd need to re sign him too before the market, provided he wanted to stay. I said after he signed that his contract isn't so bad cause he could have gotten that on the market.
I wasn't doubting you haha, better hope Elias doesn't get to the open market...

Old
03-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

I can see Elias waiting like Doan did before re-signing here. He's going to get some good offers

Old
03-27-2013, 06:42 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
No but what's the 'biggest' deal we made with any of them? Claude-Wendell Clark-Steve Thomas pre-'96 season is the only real big one that 'involved' the Isles but the Isles didn't get Claude. Beezer-Terreri sort of, when they sucked anyway. Scott Daniels was literally the only deal I ever remember making with Philly. Don't remember too many recent ones with Pittsburgh either. Maybe when they were bad we probably did a couple of deals.

It's also pretty rare for teams in the same conference trading roster players with each other if they're both in the playoff hunt. I can't remember an instance offhand. Usually when conference teams trade, one of them's a seller and one's a buyer. I mean can anyone remember a Nieuwy-Arnott type trade between two teams in the same conference in-season where one team wasn't completely out of it and in full sell mode like a liquidating Pens team pre-lockout?
Kaberle/Spacek last year and Shattenkirk/EJ the year before are the two most recent instances I can think of.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
I can see Elias waiting like Doan did before re-signing here. He's going to get some good offers
If Elias holds us hostage I'll be pissed.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:46 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
If we trade tally for jokinen then they're getting the better player. Nevermind the money, jokinen isn't really that good anymore. He's another miettinen.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Kaberle/Spacek last year and Shattenkirk/EJ the year before are the two most recent instances I can think of.
The Avs were in 14th place in mid-February when they made the deal, that goes more in the 'seller' category although it was more of a retooling/change of scenery move for the future than anything else.

Kaberle/Spacek were both on last place teams when they were traded but it was early December so I suppose that kind of counts. I still haven't found an example of two playoff teams in the same conference swapping roster players though. I'm sure loony Holmgren probably did something to that effect at one point.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:53 PM
apice3*

Were the Avs that bad? Maybe I'm thinking earlier that season when they were contending.

And yeah, the Montreal trade was earlier in the season.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:59 PM
njdss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
If Elias holds us hostage I'll be pissed.
Yeah, I'm still a tad grumpy about last time, I'd be extremely miffed if he used other teams offers against Lou AGAIN. Wasn't the rumor that Elias was using the Rangers' offer against the Devils last time?

Closed Thread