Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Bracknell Bees fold & IHSAUK

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2005, 01:04 PM
GFF

vCash: 500
Bracknell Bees fold & IHSAUK

Today saw the beggining of what could be the end of British Ice Hockey as we know it. That may be a good thing (may get mergence of leagues at least-unlikely) or it could spell the end for more clubs, Hull especially are struggling for an option for next year and with Edinburgh and Newcastle moving to the EIHL, the BNL which did consist of Edinburgh, Newcastle, Guildford, Bracknell, Hull, Fife and Dundee now has just Guildford, Fife, Dundee and Hull...

All four of those clubs have stated the BNL will not work with fewer than 6 teams...so they are all in limbo now...

Rob Hitchen, a Manchester Phoenix fan has set up the IHSAUK (Ice Hockey Supporters Association UK)...
We are trying to get together as many fans as possible to discuss the state of the game and try to make a difference...
Any supporter or Ice Hockey, especially British Ice hockey is more than welcome!

http://ihsauk.proboards27.com/index.cgi

Old
04-20-2005, 03:50 AM
English Hab

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildfordFlamesFan
Today saw the beggining of what could be the end of British Ice Hockey as we know it. That may be a good thing (may get mergence of leagues at least-unlikely) or it could spell the end for more clubs, Hull especially are struggling for an option for next year and with Edinburgh and Newcastle moving to the EIHL, the BNL which did consist of Edinburgh, Newcastle, Guildford, Bracknell, Hull, Fife and Dundee now has just Guildford, Fife, Dundee and Hull...

All four of those clubs have stated the BNL will not work with fewer than 6 teams...so they are all in limbo now...

Rob Hitchen, a Manchester Phoenix fan has set up the IHSAUK (Ice Hockey Supporters Association UK)...
We are trying to get together as many fans as possible to discuss the state of the game and try to make a difference...
Any supporter or Ice Hockey, especially British Ice hockey is more than welcome!

http://ihsauk.proboards27.com/index.cgi
I don't really think Hull are struggling, after a very good year in the league i honestly think that the problem is in the league setup-6 teams needed, rather than the actual teams themselves.

IMO, I think one of the best options would be to form a North an South league. I mean the interplay between the leagues BNL and EIHL was great and to be honest on many occassions they were very evenly matched and well played games... If that was the case with interlague play wouldn't you see an option of even looking into a North adn South league setup.

In terms of finances teams would save alot more money, travelling because they would only take the odd trip up north or down south. Rivalries would bring in more fans as games such as Steelers and Stingrays would once again bring back alot of the old Seahwak memories back. Yes i'm sure they would be the usual problems with money in a league the usual teams would be well funded and the others not so.

Thinking about it you could also setup a Gaelic league as well turning it into a three way league... You'd then have the winner of each lague and the best runner up enter a playoffs. best of 5 first series and then the final would be best of 7. You could still pplay the winter cup which would be great as a development league. This competition you'd have to force clubs to ice a mininum amount of British players and also youngsters. This would increase youth development.

Here is the league setup.

North

Hull Stingrays
Sheffield Steelers
Newcaste Vipers
Nottingham Panthers

South

Guilford Flames
London Racers
Basingstoke Bison
Coventry Blaze

Gaelic

Cardiff Devils
Belfast Giants
Fife Flyers
Dundee Stars
Edinburgh Capitals

Each team would play the other in his league 5 times - 2home,2away and the final game would be played at the venue of the weaker financial team, this way hopefully increasing some funds for the poorer teams in the league. They'd also play every other team in the league Twice.. home and away.

All Cup games would be played either mid-week, or on a weekend with no other league fixtures. And playoffs would obviously be played at the end of the year after the winter cup fixture had been decided, played and won!

Well they you have it... hoopefully you get what i mean and to be honest i'd be more than willing to discuss this more with anybody. GuildfordFLamesFAn let me know what you think and feel free to discuss this on the webllink you've given.

Also do you know why the Bees folded???

Closed Thread