HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

OT, NHL Scouting - Predictive Analytics

Old
03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
BobbyJet

vCash: 500
OT, NHL Scouting - Predictive Analytics

Is this the future of NHL Scouting? We just donít hear much of anything on the subject of what goes on behind the scenes in player recruiting, so I was intrigued when I came across this article in the Globe and Mail newspaper. It concerns the Pens method for acquiring James Neal. Very interesting. I doubt this goes on behind the scenes for other teams, but I can certainly see it being so in the future.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle10122427/

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

interesting read, thanks for sharing

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:25 AM
BobbyJet

Based on that article, the Pens likely used (in some fashion) the same type of due diligence before trading for Morrow and Murray? It would be interesting to see if they have a formula for the intangible called grit.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:30 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Based on that article, the Pens likely used (in some fashion) the same type of due diligence before trading for Morrow and Murray? It would be interesting to see if they have a formula for the intangible called grit.
I haven't said much about these two moves because I know how poor defensively and slow Dallas and San Jose can be. It is definitely possible these two guys took the brunt of the blame for bad team play and lack of team speed. The Pens didn't give much up for either anyway. We'll see how it plays out for them.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
KanetoToews2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I haven't said much about these two moves because I know how poor defensively and slow Dallas and San Jose can be. It is definitely possible these two guys took the brunt of the blame for bad team play and lack of team speed. The Pens didn't give much up for either anyway. We'll see how it plays out for them.
Factoid, Joe Morrow is currently ranked ahead of Teravainen in HF's top 50 prospects.

They gave up something

KanetoToews2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Sevanston

Since I left college, I haven't been keeping up with predictive analysis as much as I'd like to, but I think Mackinnon did hint at the future of scouting.

Since Neal, they haven't made a decision without consulting the analysis. He didn't say that's the be-all and end-all of their decision process, but it definitely gets a seat at the table, so to speak.

As time goes on, you can bet that will be the future of scouting. The eye test and the numbers test.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Uh, they gave up a highly touted prospect in Joe Morrow and potentially two 2nd round picks for Douglas Murray.

People were losing their minds on this board when Bowman gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for Oduya.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote