HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs eyeing Kipper? (Kypreos: Kiprusoff will not report if traded, Post #316)

Old
03-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Durham Inline
INLINE EXPERT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Really? You would trade Kipper for a scrub AHLer/backup goaltender and a 4th round pick? Are you mental?

Kipper will cost the Leafs at least one decent prospect (Colborne, D'Amigo, Biggs, Finn, etc.) + 1st round pick. Despite what many people here think, he's still an elite goaltender and has another 3-4 years of competitive hockey left in him.

Just look no further than Patrick Roy, Eddie Belfour, Dom Hasek, Marty Brodeur, Dwayne Roloson, etc. who all played at a high level well into their late 30s/early 40s. No reason to believe Kipper can't do the same.

Crazy.

Leafs and the rest of the league pass at that price.

Durham Inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:51 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Kipper will cost the Leafs at least one decent prospect (Colborne, D'Amigo, Biggs, Finn, etc.) + 1st round pick. Despite what many people here think, he's still an elite goaltender and has another 3-4 years of competitive hockey left in him.
Keep em.

No chance you're getting our first round pick, especially this season. Nonis might inquire but he'll run away so fast from that price.

No deal to be made here methinks.

stakesishigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Really? You would trade Kipper for a scrub AHLer/backup goaltender and a 4th round pick? Are you mental?

Just look no further than Patrick Roy, Eddie Belfour, Dom Hasek, Marty Brodeur, Dwayne Roloson, etc. who all played at a high level well into their late 30s/early 40s. No reason to believe Kipper can't do the same.
You can say that all you want, but Kiprusoff's value is what people will pay. And it's hard to imagine anyone paying a first and a top prospect for a guy who sure seems to be in a steep decline. Also, what's the market? Does anyone imagine a bidding war for the guy? It's more likely to be a salary dump than a hockey trade, given the numbers and the age of the player involved, plus the lack of a market for a goalie like this right now.

This would probably be a better draft deal than a deadline one. At least for the Flames, if they're looking for value.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Inline View Post
Leafs and the rest of the league pass at that price.
And I'm sure that's completely fine as far as the Flames are concerned. It's not as if the Flames have a young, goaltender banging on the door for ice-time. If they don't get something of quality in return for Kipper, why move him? There's no reason to.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:54 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:

Teams are not going to give that up for Kipper and nor should they. If they want to give that much up for a goalie their are plenty of better options around the league.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Halak+Cole+Rattie for Kipper+Gio

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:01 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Teams are not going to give that up for Kipper and nor should they. If they want to give that much up for a goalie their are plenty of better options around the league.
Like who? Luongo and the 10+ years remaining on his contract?

The Flames are in no hurry to trade Kiprusoff. He's still under contract for one more year and all indications are that he wants to stay.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:05 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
Keep em.

No chance you're getting our first round pick, especially this season. Nonis might inquire but he'll run away so fast from that price.

No deal to be made here methinks.
The flames would love to keep kipper if the price is too high, as well as laugh at the leafs when they either do not make the playoffs or lose out early because of poor, inexperienced goaltending
Kipper played his best hockey in the playoffs. That alone with his experience is worth your first round pick

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Keeping Kipper through the season and into next year would be detrimental for the Flames.

Especially if they plan on tanking/rebuilding.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
The flames would love to keep kipper if the price is too high, as well as laugh at the leafs when they either do not make the playoffs or lose out early because of poor, inexperienced goaltending
Kipper played his best hockey in the playoffs. That alone with his experience is worth your first round pick
He has a save percentage under .900 during his last two playoff appearances (13 games).

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:10 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Clearly what Feaster has been doing in Calgary has blinded even some of the fans of the hockey club. Makes sense why he's still at the helm.

The Leafs aren't expecting to make a splash in the playoffs this year. There is absolutely no purpose in giving up futures for a goalie who is playing worse than BOTH of our goalies.

We don't expect to get very far in the playoffs, and this year will be used to get some experience for those goaltenders. That (potential) experience will be extremely valuable for everyone in our club, especially Reimer.

Anyways, like I said, not interested. Nonis will not give up futures for temporary help. There's no reason to give up on the goalies that have taken us this far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
He has a save percentage under .900 during his last two playoff appearances (13 games).
This is also a valid point.

Kiprusoff is on the decline, and I don't know if you'll find many people outside of your own fanbase who will argue otherwise. We're not planning for this year, we're planning for the next 3-5.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Keeping Kipper through the season and into next year would be detrimental for the Flames.

Especially if they plan on tanking/rebuilding.
Why? Even re-building teams need to keep some veterans around. And it's not like they can't shop Kipper next deadline if they wish. If they best they can get this deadline is marginal prospects and mid-round picks then why move him?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Yes. We will be laughing at the Leafs while they're in the playoffs while we figure out who we'll be picking with our top ten pick. God, only on HF.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:16 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Clearly what Feaster has been doing in Calgary has blinded even some of the fans of the hockey club. Makes sense why he's still at the helm.

The Leafs aren't expecting to make a splash in the playoffs this year. There is absolutely no purpose in giving up futures for a goalie who is playing worse than BOTH of our goalies.

We don't expect to get very far in the playoffs, and this year will be used to get some experience for those goaltenders. That (potential) experience will be extremely valuable for everyone in our club, especially Reimer.

Anyways, like I said, not interested. Nonis will not give up futures for temporary help. There's no reason to give up on the goalies that have taken us this far.

This is also a valid point.

Kiprusoff is on the decline, and I don't know if you'll find many people outside of your own fanbase who will argue otherwise. We're not planning for this year, we're planning for the next 3-5.
I'll happily argue otherwise because I get to watch the absolute DISGRACE of a team known as the Calgary Flames every night

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:16 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Like who? Luongo and the 10+ years remaining on his contract?

The Flames are in no hurry to trade Kiprusoff. He's still under contract for one more year and all indications are that he wants to stay.
Mike Smith. Kipper is pretty quiet so I don't really know what he would do. Seems like he would just go back to Europe rather then playing out his contract if traded. Hell he might just go back after this season. When was the last time a goalie got a 1st rounder in a trade anyway?

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:19 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Yes. We will be laughing at the Leafs while they're in the playoffs while we figure out who we'll be picking with our top ten pick. God, only on HF.
I meant it as in the fact the Leafs have a solid team this year, at least in my eyes and it has been quite some time since they were able to be a playoff team. So why not grab kipper and let him help the leafs out not only greatly this year be a better team but also a mentor to guys like Scrivens and Reimer. Also on HF we find sarcastic ***** like yourself

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
notdoneyet

how about macarthur and blacker for kipper

notdoneyet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneyet View Post
I'm not comfortable trading MacArthur. If he's used in a system that uses 3 scoring lines (which we have) then I have no problem having him on our team. He doesn't hurt us defensively and he's stopped taking boneheaded penalties.

03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Luongo Threads
- Contract is too long, we need a stopgap like Kipper.
- His value is terrible because of his contract

Kipper Thread
- Yeah we don't want to give up anything of quality
- How about an AHL caliber goalie and a 2nd.
Haha I can't believe some Calgary fans would trade Kipper for Scrivens+Ashton. Scrivens is a dime a dozen goalie and Ashton is worthless, might as well take the 2nd.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneyet View Post
deal

Old
03-25-2013, 10:28 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I'll happily argue otherwise because I get to watch the absolute DISGRACE of a team known as the Calgary Flames every night
Go for it, that isn't going to change anytime soon, and Kipper is only getting older.

We'll see when/if he gets traded the value for which he is worth. All I'm saying is that Leafs don't pay the price suggested earlier. Both teams seem happy to not make this trade, and that is fine by me. Best of luck the rest of the way!

Old
03-25-2013, 10:29 PM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I'm not comfortable trading MacArthur. If he's used in a system that uses 3 scoring lines (which we have) then I have no problem having him on our team. He doesn't hurt us defensively and he's stopped taking boneheaded penalties.
by now nonis knows how much money and terms that macarthur wants
if we could afford him he would be signed by now
macarthur will be traded if not signed by april3
we cannot afford to lose him for nothing
toronto needs all the assets they can get without giving them away

notdoneyet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Nonis should kick the tires, but if it's in the range of a 1st + prospect then definitely pass.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:36 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Go for it, that isn't going to change anytime soon, and Kipper is only getting older.

We'll see when/if he gets traded the value for which he is worth. All I'm saying is that Leafs don't pay the price suggested earlier. Both teams seem happy to not make this trade, and that is fine by me. Best of luck the rest of the way!
He might get traded for less then he's worth because Jay Feaster is BY FAR the worst GM in the NHL that's not debatable that's FACT. But to suggest Kiprusoff is on decline because of his DISGRACE of a team is wrong.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
But to suggest Kiprusoff is on decline because of his DISGRACE of a team is wrong.
Well it's a good thing I'm not suggesting that.

It remains to be seen whether Kipper's best years are behind him, and you can argue that he's getting better all you want, who knows. We shall see. I just feel as though what you might end up getting for Kipper will be less than what you think.

And if you keep him, you guys are happy to do that, so everyone wins. I, personally, as a Leaf fan, have very little interest based on the price demanded in this thread.