HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red? (Part 2) (MOD warning #661)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  #576
Number1RedWingsFan52
Registered User
 
Number1RedWingsFan52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Winter Haven Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Possible Bertuzzi Retirement

I just read an article In Nightmare on Helm Street dated April 1st 2013 That said that Bert Is fixing to retire as soon as possibly today, Yet there Is no mention any where about a possible retirement coming out of Detroit. The only thing that sucks Is because It's a 35+ Contract Detroit would be on the hook for that money this season He would be better off placed on LTIR so that money comes off the books.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:42 PM
  #577
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Because he was a restricted free agent and was planned to be used to add Dman depth after Brad Stuart departed. For all intents and purposes, I don't get why everyone is crying about trading Visalevski for Quincey when we have Mrazek waiting in the wings.
I would trade subban or matta for him in a heartbeat

Zetterberg4Captain is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
  #578
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
I just read an article In Nightmare on Helm Street dated April 1st 2013 That said that Bert Is fixing to retire as soon as possibly today, Yet there Is no mention any where about a possible retirement coming out of Detroit. The only thing that sucks Is because It's a 35+ Contract Detroit would be on the hook for that money this season He would be better placed on LTIR so that money comes off the books.
April 1st = April Fools Day

It was a joke.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:44 PM
  #579
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Dude, you put a glass of milk in the dryer?
WTF
Well how else am i supposed to warm my milk up?

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:45 PM
  #580
Number1RedWingsFan52
Registered User
 
Number1RedWingsFan52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Winter Haven Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
April 1st = April Fools Day

It was a joke.
Yeah I should have figured that one out, Thanks for the clarifaction.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:57 PM
  #581
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 26,244
vCash: 500
Jeez, the level of mad on these boards keeps rising.

I get the criticisms, but still.

ArGarBarGar is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:01 PM
  #582
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Dude, you put a glass of milk in the dryer?
WTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Well how else am i supposed to warm my milk up?
I laughed too hard at this.

Kronwalled55 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  #583
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
What has Ken Holland done to truly improve this team since we lost in the 2009 SCF? Other than let Hossa go and bring back over the hill garbage players at the cost of blocking younger more talented players.
2009- Roster Crunch. Salary cap forces Holland to shrink payroll or suffer Cap hell. Either sign Hossa and lose some depth, or sign Franzen and keep a little more of it. Holland chooses Franzen +some more depth. Sammy walks, Kopecky follows Hossa, and Hudler bolts for Russia, so we're left with no depth anyways. Hard to control FA's with 29 other teams and the fact FA's have a will of their own.

There's no possible way for Holland to make the team better because of the salary cap. There isn't anyone in the farm system at this time to make the team better anyways, so we rely upon cheep plugs until the cap situation gets better. Leino has a meltdown and is traded away because he sucked and had an attitude.

2010- Cap situation gets slightly better, but not much. Team gets Hudler back, Cleary's knees are repaired, Draper takes time to heal... We still have our Stanley Cup winning Dcorps intact. Ruslan Salei suffices as a nice number 6. Kindl on the roster now. No point in changing Dcorps. Modano brought in as a Mike Illitch move...

Mo, and half the roster it seems, get savaged at Nationwide arena by the Blue Jackets this season and get injured. No assets that the Wings could use beyond a first to make trades, as our farm is still quite barren sans Brendan Smith, who is in his first year of pro hockey, and Tatar who is still raw. No real moves to be made at this time simply because we had no known assets at that time.


2011- Rafalski retires... DMan free agent market sucks. Bieksa resigns with Vancouver, and Ehrhoff is traded for two fourths (So the Wings essentially would have traded Marek Tvrdon for Ehrhoff, and added a ridiculous 10 year contract on the books). Everyone wants to crucify Hudler for being terrible. Everyone wants to crucify Holland for not trading for Brent Burns, even though we still don't really have known quantities in assets yet (turns out the Wild got the better of the Sharks anyways, because Burns sucks so much that he's being used as a forward now when he's not on the IR). Wisniewski wasn't going to sign with us, because he hates Detroit. We're left with Ian White, who serves as a decent stop gap. There didn't seem to be a pressing need to tinker with the forward corps, since it handled itself quite fine. Every FA forward is overpaid, thanks to the fact the NHL put a gun to the Florida Panthers' head and told them to spend money. Everyone wants to crucify management for not bringing up Brendan Smith, even though they were going to give Kindl a shot at a regular playing role, which would have relegated Smith to the bench (bad asset management).

Again, there are no known moves to be made here. Wings don't have the assets, and the market really sucked. But it is here that our prospect pool begins to emerge as one of the hidden gems in the NHL. Gustav Nyquist only now emerges as a top prospect, while Tatar has established himself as one as well. Wings are starting to amass assets.

2012- Lidstrom retires, Stuart bolts for San Jose. Management wasn't going to pay Hudler $4 million (Oh well... that was a mistake). Holland targets Suter and Rick Nash. FA's pass by as we wait on decisions. Suter decides to head to Minnesota at the last moment. Howson wasn't even going to listen to the Red Wings's offer for Nash. Holland only has complementary players to account for, likely signed with the hope that they would cover for the lost depth in anticipated trades to be made. Forward Corps is deeper than last year anyways. Defense is in shambles, but so far has played fine. No known impact Dmen are really moved anyways in the summer.

The current team isn't really in any condition to justify dumping our new found assets to "go for it." We are clearly in transition now. Contracts are coming off the books this year and next, clearing roster space for the next generation.



For all intents and purposes, to those who are critical of Holland: there weren't any known deals to be had in these past years. Holland hasn't had to make changes to the roster, aging as it was because it was fine. Nor could he anyways, because he didn't have either the assets or the cap space to make a move. This myth that Holland doesn't do anything except hoard old guys is nothing more than a recent development forced upon the team by the cap and lack of a farm system until last year. It was only this year really, that Holland has had both the assets and the cap space to make significant moves. When he couldn't, it was time to go into transition. This is why we aren't spending our 1st this trade deadline. Holland is smarter than you people give credit. It's a downright shame you guys don't give him the respect to deserve. You continue to say he sits on his hands.

Here's my question- What moves could he have possibly made? Point them out, in exactly what year he could have made them and who he could have acquired. I seriously promise you won't find many, if any, moves that Holland could have made.

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
  #584
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!
 
DatsyukToZetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerman1919 View Post
Can someone please explain to me still why he gave up a 1st rounder for Kyle Quincey...
Because that was the price to get an RFA defenseman last year. A young defender playing top 2 minutes will usually be worth more but as well all know Quincey is at best a #4. As bad as he was at the beginning of the year he was, and still is, a reason why we have such a good GA avg. We went on the 7 or 8 game streak where we played tremdous defense, Quincey gets hurt and we suck at it defense again.

He was traded for because if we missed out on Suter, which we did, we would have had 3 or 4 rookies in the lineup everyday if we didn't pick up Quincey. He was an insurance policy which was a wise pick up.

Quincey may have completely simplified his game, some would call that a negative, but I think it adds the missing piece to our D and balances everything and everyone out. Would I give up a 1st for him again? Probably not, would I give a 2nd+3rd, or 2 2nds for him? Yeah probably.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
  #585
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
I don't understand how Holland can rant about wanting more scoring depth when we probably have a 16-20 goal third line guy right now in Tatar rotting in the minors... instant third line spark plug

CloneHakanPlease* is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
  #586
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
For all intents and purposes, to those who are critical of Holland: there weren't any known deals to be had in these past years. Holland hasn't had to make changes to the roster, aging as it was because it was fine. Nor could he anyways, because he didn't have either the assets or the cap space to make a move. This myth that Holland doesn't do anything except hoard old guys is nothing more than a recent development forced upon the team by the cap and lack of a farm system until last year. It was only this year really, that Holland has had both the assets and the cap space to make significant moves. When he couldn't, it was time to go into transition. This is why we aren't spending our 1st this trade deadline. Holland is smarter than you people give credit. It's a downright shame you guys don't give him the respect to deserve. You continue to say he sits on his hands.
Uuuh, great post. Someone still has some sense in here.

Of course, things have not gone like we wanted, but it's really hard to see that Holland could do anything really better than he has done. Our fall to transition period in just an unstoppable and uncomfortable truth.

Henkka is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
  #587
Reality Check
Registered User
 
Reality Check's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Jeez, the level of mad on these boards keeps rising.

I get the criticisms, but still.
This board has gone downhill severely.

Now it's overrun with posters just parroting Mike Valenti's "wisdom".

Reality Check is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:18 PM
  #588
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
This board has gone downhill severely.

Now it's overrun with posters just parroting Mike Valenti's "wisdom".
Mike Valenti is a moron who doesnt actually watch hockey.

It's incredibly insulting to compare HFBoard posters to him.

He is your typical Wings "fan." Only shows up for the Conference Finals and beyond.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
  #589
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Uuuh, great post. Someone still has some sense in here.

Of course, things have not gone like we wanted, but it's really hard to see that Holland could do anything really better than he has done. Our fall to transition period in just an unstoppable and uncomfortable truth.
Heh... All the guys I really wanted to get an answer out of are on my ignore list. Ironic.

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
  #590
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
I just read an article In Nightmare on Helm Street dated April 1st 2013 That said that Bert Is fixing to retire as soon as possibly today, Yet there Is no mention any where about a possible retirement coming out of Detroit. The only thing that sucks Is because It's a 35+ Contract Detroit would be on the hook for that money this season He would be better off placed on LTIR so that money comes off the books.
That was an April Fool's Day prank.

SoupNazi is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:25 PM
  #591
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 19,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Yeah I should have figured that one out, Thanks for the clarifaction.
I think they said Bert is targeting a return within the next two weeks yesterday. That one wasn't an April fools joke, though I have trouble believing it all the same.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
  #592
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Heh... All the guys I really wanted to get an answer out of are on my ignore list. Ironic.
I will humor you.

2009-2010 season. Injury ravaged year after going to game seven in the Cup Finals.

Holland lost Hossa for spare parts and the spare parts walked. That isn't on Holland? The Franzen vs. Hossa debate is worthless and i don't blame Holland for extending the home grown player who was playing like a freak of nature who was younger than Hossa.

You see the beginning of the bringing in veterans over prospects with the Modano signing. I wasnt 100% against this signing when it first happened. I wasn't thrilled, but the Wings could still be viewed as contenders, so bringing in a cup hungry HOF player isn't the worst thing you can do.

Another mistake by Holland was too much loyalty. Homer, and Bert stayed one contract too long. It negatively impacted the Wings future because it prevented the prospects from being brought up. This mistake is still being felt today. Loyalty is great, but the NHL is a business and you can't afford to give players a farewell tour in this league. This isn't baseball where you can easily hide past their prime players.

I personally believed the Wings could still contend for a cup for the first two years after they lost to the Pens. Holland complained about paying too much and liking his team....blahhh blahh blahh. The Wings window was incredibly short with Z and Datsyuk on the wrong side of 30. He was too conservative and it cost the Wings their last real chance to win another cup with thei Z/Datsyuk and Lidstrom core. He put too much faith in the current roster and it burned the team.

YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY. Holland thinks the rule don't apply to the Wings.

A genius GM like ken Holland should have found a way to make cap space during those two years after the loss to the Pens.

Now the Wings are no longer contenders and he is once again straddling the fence. He says the Wings are rebuilding, but at the same time he is looking for a top six winger and top four dman.

The failure to land Ryan Suter was the culmination of Ken Holland's poor management. He was backed into a corner even though he knew Stuart was leaving and Lidstrom wasn't a lock to return.

TLDR

Holland felt the Wings were contenders, but did not add any players to put them over the top because he was too scared/conservative to trade away assets when you are in the exact situation where burning assets is warranted.

Now he is still managing this team like a contending team by signing veterans and refusing to allow the prospects to take the reins from Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Is it possible those players simply don't exist? Yes it is, but we don't know and that fault lies at Ken Holland's feet.

His GMing since 2009-2010 has guided the Wings to mediocrity and we still don't know what to make of our rich prospect pool that Holland loves to talk about, but apparently doesn't like to play.

This is a broad strokes approach to Ken Holland's resume since 2009-2010.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
  #593
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Here's my question- What moves could he have possibly made? Point them out, in exactly what year he could have made them and who he could have acquired. I seriously promise you won't find many, if any, moves that Holland could have made.
I definitely agree with a lot of what you've said. A lot of this decline simply has to do with the salary cap and aging players. However, Holland has tried, and more importantly failed, to improve the team multiple times. Trying only gets you so far.

- Summer 2009: You said it, signing Franzen instead of Hossa. Obviously this is clearer in hindsight, but many people thought Hossa was the one to keep. Hell, they could've kept both and traded away some of the "depth" players to make room.

- Summer 2010: Decent offseason. The Modano signing might've worked out had he not gotten hurt. Salei was solid. Hudler was awful, but that's not Holland's fault.

- Summer 2011: swings and misses on Burns, Jovanovski, Fleischmann, and (thankfully) Upshall. Decides it isn't worth it to pursue Jagr or Ehrhoff. Signs Ty Conklin, who has nothing left in the tank. White's a decent band-aid, would've rather seen Smith develop.

- Deadline 2012: trades a first for Quincey, an inadequate replacement for the guy he was brought in to replace.
- Summer 2012: swings and misses on Suter, Parise, Salo, and Nash. Signs Samuelsson, Gustavsson, and Colaiacovo, who have all been disappointments. Lets Hudler go for nothing. Tootoo was a good move. Doesn't go for Semin, who Carolina ends up signing to a five-year extension. Was a one-year deal really that risky?

- Deadline 2013: doesn't up the ante for Bouwmeester, a guy who is 29 years old and might've been their best defenseman. Derek Roy wouldn't have been a bad move, considering he's 29 years old and Datsyuk will likely leave soon. Doesn't appear to be willing to sell any of the veterans they do have, leaving no room for the young players to develop.

All the while, he's been signing and re-signing guys like Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Eaves, Miller, Colaiacovo, and Samuelsson to two-year deals instead of giving prospects real NHL time. We'll be able to add Cleary to that list this summer.


Last edited by Ricelund: 04-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Ricelund is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:58 PM
  #594
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
2009- Roster Crunch. Salary cap forces Holland to shrink payroll or suffer Cap hell. Either sign Hossa and lose some depth, or sign Franzen and keep a little more of it. Holland chooses Franzen +some more depth. Sammy walks, Kopecky follows Hossa, and Hudler bolts for Russia, so we're left with no depth anyways. Hard to control FA's with 29 other teams and the fact FA's have a will of their own.

There's no possible way for Holland to make the team better because of the salary cap. There isn't anyone in the farm system at this time to make the team better anyways, so we rely upon cheep plugs until the cap situation gets better. Leino has a meltdown and is traded away because he sucked and had an attitude.

2010- Cap situation gets slightly better, but not much. Team gets Hudler back, Cleary's knees are repaired, Draper takes time to heal... We still have our Stanley Cup winning Dcorps intact. Ruslan Salei suffices as a nice number 6. Kindl on the roster now. No point in changing Dcorps. Modano brought in as a Mike Illitch move...

Mo, and half the roster it seems, get savaged at Nationwide arena by the Blue Jackets this season and get injured. No assets that the Wings could use beyond a first to make trades, as our farm is still quite barren sans Brendan Smith, who is in his first year of pro hockey, and Tatar who is still raw. No real moves to be made at this time simply because we had no known assets at that time.


2011- Rafalski retires... DMan free agent market sucks. Bieksa resigns with Vancouver, and Ehrhoff is traded for two fourths (So the Wings essentially would have traded Marek Tvrdon for Ehrhoff, and added a ridiculous 10 year contract on the books). Everyone wants to crucify Hudler for being terrible. Everyone wants to crucify Holland for not trading for Brent Burns, even though we still don't really have known quantities in assets yet (turns out the Wild got the better of the Sharks anyways, because Burns sucks so much that he's being used as a forward now when he's not on the IR). Wisniewski wasn't going to sign with us, because he hates Detroit. We're left with Ian White, who serves as a decent stop gap. There didn't seem to be a pressing need to tinker with the forward corps, since it handled itself quite fine. Every FA forward is overpaid, thanks to the fact the NHL put a gun to the Florida Panthers' head and told them to spend money. Everyone wants to crucify management for not bringing up Brendan Smith, even though they were going to give Kindl a shot at a regular playing role, which would have relegated Smith to the bench (bad asset management).

Again, there are no known moves to be made here. Wings don't have the assets, and the market really sucked. But it is here that our prospect pool begins to emerge as one of the hidden gems in the NHL. Gustav Nyquist only now emerges as a top prospect, while Tatar has established himself as one as well. Wings are starting to amass assets.

2012- Lidstrom retires, Stuart bolts for San Jose. Management wasn't going to pay Hudler $4 million (Oh well... that was a mistake). Holland targets Suter and Rick Nash. FA's pass by as we wait on decisions. Suter decides to head to Minnesota at the last moment. Howson wasn't even going to listen to the Red Wings's offer for Nash. Holland only has complementary players to account for, likely signed with the hope that they would cover for the lost depth in anticipated trades to be made. Forward Corps is deeper than last year anyways. Defense is in shambles, but so far has played fine. No known impact Dmen are really moved anyways in the summer.

The current team isn't really in any condition to justify dumping our new found assets to "go for it." We are clearly in transition now. Contracts are coming off the books this year and next, clearing roster space for the next generation.



For all intents and purposes, to those who are critical of Holland: there weren't any known deals to be had in these past years. Holland hasn't had to make changes to the roster, aging as it was because it was fine. Nor could he anyways, because he didn't have either the assets or the cap space to make a move. This myth that Holland doesn't do anything except hoard old guys is nothing more than a recent development forced upon the team by the cap and lack of a farm system until last year. It was only this year really, that Holland has had both the assets and the cap space to make significant moves. When he couldn't, it was time to go into transition. This is why we aren't spending our 1st this trade deadline. Holland is smarter than you people give credit. It's a downright shame you guys don't give him the respect to deserve. You continue to say he sits on his hands.

Here's my question- What moves could he have possibly made? Point them out, in exactly what year he could have made them and who he could have acquired. I seriously promise you won't find many, if any, moves that Holland could have made.

Holland is either the unluckiest GM in the league or the luckiest. Unlukiest because he hasn't been able to rebuild/improve the team remarkably well, or the luckiest because he has so many excuses to fall back on.

GT500x is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  #595
sepster
Registered User
 
sepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North of the 'D"
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
2009- Roster Crunch. Salary cap forces Holland to shrink payroll or suffer Cap hell. Either sign Hossa and lose some depth, or sign Franzen and keep a little more of it. Holland chooses Franzen +some more depth. Sammy walks, Kopecky follows Hossa, and Hudler bolts for Russia, so we're left with no depth anyways. Hard to control FA's with 29 other teams and the fact FA's have a will of their own.

There's no possible way for Holland to make the team better because of the salary cap. There isn't anyone in the farm system at this time to make the team better anyways, so we rely upon cheep plugs until the cap situation gets better. Leino has a meltdown and is traded away because he sucked and had an attitude.

2010- Cap situation gets slightly better, but not much. Team gets Hudler back, Cleary's knees are repaired, Draper takes time to heal... We still have our Stanley Cup winning Dcorps intact. Ruslan Salei suffices as a nice number 6. Kindl on the roster now. No point in changing Dcorps. Modano brought in as a Mike Illitch move...

Mo, and half the roster it seems, get savaged at Nationwide arena by the Blue Jackets this season and get injured. No assets that the Wings could use beyond a first to make trades, as our farm is still quite barren sans Brendan Smith, who is in his first year of pro hockey, and Tatar who is still raw. No real moves to be made at this time simply because we had no known assets at that time.


2011- Rafalski retires... DMan free agent market sucks. Bieksa resigns with Vancouver, and Ehrhoff is traded for two fourths (So the Wings essentially would have traded Marek Tvrdon for Ehrhoff, and added a ridiculous 10 year contract on the books). Everyone wants to crucify Hudler for being terrible. Everyone wants to crucify Holland for not trading for Brent Burns, even though we still don't really have known quantities in assets yet (turns out the Wild got the better of the Sharks anyways, because Burns sucks so much that he's being used as a forward now when he's not on the IR). Wisniewski wasn't going to sign with us, because he hates Detroit. We're left with Ian White, who serves as a decent stop gap. There didn't seem to be a pressing need to tinker with the forward corps, since it handled itself quite fine. Every FA forward is overpaid, thanks to the fact the NHL put a gun to the Florida Panthers' head and told them to spend money. Everyone wants to crucify management for not bringing up Brendan Smith, even though they were going to give Kindl a shot at a regular playing role, which would have relegated Smith to the bench (bad asset management).

Again, there are no known moves to be made here. Wings don't have the assets, and the market really sucked. But it is here that our prospect pool begins to emerge as one of the hidden gems in the NHL. Gustav Nyquist only now emerges as a top prospect, while Tatar has established himself as one as well. Wings are starting to amass assets.

2012- Lidstrom retires, Stuart bolts for San Jose. Management wasn't going to pay Hudler $4 million (Oh well... that was a mistake). Holland targets Suter and Rick Nash. FA's pass by as we wait on decisions. Suter decides to head to Minnesota at the last moment. Howson wasn't even going to listen to the Red Wings's offer for Nash. Holland only has complementary players to account for, likely signed with the hope that they would cover for the lost depth in anticipated trades to be made. Forward Corps is deeper than last year anyways. Defense is in shambles, but so far has played fine. No known impact Dmen are really moved anyways in the summer.

The current team isn't really in any condition to justify dumping our new found assets to "go for it." We are clearly in transition now. Contracts are coming off the books this year and next, clearing roster space for the next generation.



For all intents and purposes, to those who are critical of Holland: there weren't any known deals to be had in these past years. Holland hasn't had to make changes to the roster, aging as it was because it was fine. Nor could he anyways, because he didn't have either the assets or the cap space to make a move. This myth that Holland doesn't do anything except hoard old guys is nothing more than a recent development forced upon the team by the cap and lack of a farm system until last year. It was only this year really, that Holland has had both the assets and the cap space to make significant moves. When he couldn't, it was time to go into transition. This is why we aren't spending our 1st this trade deadline. Holland is smarter than you people give credit. It's a downright shame you guys don't give him the respect to deserve. You continue to say he sits on his hands.

Here's my question- What moves could he have possibly made? Point them out, in exactly what year he could have made them and who he could have acquired. I seriously promise you won't find many, if any, moves that Holland could have made.
4 years of inactivity and roster regression is just a function of bad luck for the oft-described "Best GM in the game" ? That is an awfully lenient grading scale.

sepster is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
  #596
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,484
vCash: 500
Clowe to the Rags for two 2nd round picks and another 2nd if he re signs with the Rags.

Flip should be traded.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
  #597
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel
 
BSHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamburg
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
At least to me it seems that there will be little need for Ian White during the last part of the season: Colaiacovo has returned, Quincey will come back soon as well, Dekeyser has signed and Lashoff has been given an extension. Although the main trade activities might be over, I can see some demand for a veteran like White and would be happy if he got traded for a 3rd round pick or even more.

What do you think: Will White be traded?

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
  #598
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
man it sucks that only the DRW have to play in a salary cap league where players get older every year while nobody else has too

Zetterberg4Captain is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  #599
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 500
BTW, Marian Hossa, who is so superb player compared to Johan Franzen, what has he done lately? It's been pretty quiet since the season start.

Started season hot as usual, when there's no system play and he can hoard as an individual. When other teams get going, he disappears because he can't build any chemistry with anybody and system play shuts him down. We whined about that problem, and same whining is going at Chicago board.

Hossa has 3 points more than Franzen so far at this season.

He is also injured. 3/4 seasons with Chicago he has had injuries. They even signed him injured (was going to shoulder surgery). Doesn't differ much about our near history with Mule.

Since Hossa joined the Blackhawks:

Johan Franzen, 234 games, 83 goals = 0.355 per game
Marian Hossa, 263 games, 96 goals = 0.365 per game
(playoff games and goals included)

Johan Franzen 83 goals per 3.95 million caphit = 21.01 rating
Marian Hossa 96 goals per 5.275 million caphit = 18.20 rating

Looks like Franzen is the better pay per buck of these two. But he is lazy and sucks, when Hossa is the Ultimate Warrior.

Henkka is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  #600
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH
I think Holland gets too much flack on these boards but just off the top of my head

2009-Let Filppula get offersheeted by Vancouver, Retain Hossa.
2011- Sign Michael Ryder instead of additional plugs + Modano
2012-13: Semin. Rozival instead of CC.

In addition to cutting weight and not giving out contracts that only inhibit the team, not help it recover. And before you say hindsight is 20/20 I was a huge proponent for all of these deals. He had his chance to make deals, and even if he didn't, not having the chance to make good deals is not an excuse for making horrible ones. Not being able to land free agents does not justify signing Bertuzzi, Eaves, and Sammuelson for 2+ years more than needed when we have a young prospect pool ready to play


Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 04-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.
CloneHakanPlease* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.