HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jacob Trouba going pro (UPD: Jets agree to terms)

Old
04-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Your wish....

Lol nice. And Ron Cattrall...

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Your wish....

hahahaha, did a double take when I noticed the hains.

Well played sir, well played.

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:45 PM
phamJET

vCash: 500
will trouba be better than dion phaneuf or kronwall?

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:17 AM
JetsFan815

I hope the Jets don't burn a year of his ELC on this season. Let him play 5 games and then send him to the rock to play top minutes

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

So....all I've been reading on this board and in the media for two years is that the Winnipeg Jets franchise is completely different than the Atlanta Thrashers. We have a long term plan. We will only do what us right for the future and never sacrifice that for the present. We won't destroy young players like Burmistrov by rushing them to the NHL at 18. How much criticism have I heard about bringing Kane and Bogo up too soon. How we look down on the archaic way they did things.

And now we celebrate that a player with a grand total of 37 US college games on his résumé will play for the Jets.

I'm not saying its wrong, but those who live in glass houses might stop throwing stones from now on. How do we know he's ready? Are we not afraid of doing the same thing that we so often criticize?

How is this different than bringing up Kane?

He looks like a blue chipper, i sure hope we would be doing the right thing if we play him in the NHL so soon.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 04-03-2013 at 12:30 AM.
peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:26 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

He hasn't skated for a while now, I imagine he will be practicing for at least a couple weeks. I wouldn't be too worried about burning a year of ELC. Just the experience of travel, working out, practicing alone is worth something. Even watching from the press box is worth something. He's already had a season of college hockey, playoffs, and won the WJC. He can take the information gained from the club home, and be a real force in the fall.

Also don't forget he has a year of studing kinesiology. A degree he can actually apply to his professional career. Either that or be a gym teacher.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:31 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
How do we know he's ready? Are we not afraid of doing the same thing that we so often criticize?
He played against the best 18-19 year olds in the world at the WJC and dominated. He also dominanted at the collegiate level, who are 18-25 year olds. Scouting can be a tricky thing, they forget more than we'll ever know about hockey. Berenson say he's ready, obviously our scouts say he's ready, he says he's ready.

And if he isn't ready, he goes to the Ice Caps for the beginning of the 13/14 season. It's not like our prospects will have a one way ticket. Look at what happened to Machacek. Trouba would develop in the AHL better than with Berenson anyways. This is one advantage of drafting out of the NCAA, they can go to the AHL as 18-19 year olds.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:32 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
I'm glad he's coming after only one year before Red Berensen completely destroys his defensive awareness. Hopefully, Trouba can bring his offensive game with as well.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:36 AM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
So....all I've been reading on this board and in the media for two years is that the Winnipeg Jets franchise is completely different than the Atlanta Thrashers. We have a long term plan. We will only do what us right for the future and never sacrifice that for the present. We won't destroy young players like Burmistrov by rushing them to the NHL at 18. How much criticism have I heard about bringing Kane and Bogo up too soon. How we look down on the archaic way they did things.

And now we celebrate that a player with a grand total of 37 US college games on his résumé will play for the Jets.

I'm not saying its wrong, but those who live in glass houses might stop throwing stones from now on. How do we know he's ready? Are we not afraid of doing the same thing that we so often criticize?

I guess in Jacob's case they feel for his development it will be best for him to turn pro and move on from collage. when I listened to Chevy I by no means felt it was a fait accompli that Trouba would be playing on the Jets right away. Chevy cautioned a few times that Jacob is still 19.

The difference I see between Trouba now and what happened to Kane or Burmi is that Jacob did have his post draft season to develop (probably close to 50 games including the WJC and exibition)....also he still may see real time in the AHL so his development process could well be ongoing at this point.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:37 AM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
He hasn't skated for a while now, I imagine he will be practicing for at least a couple weeks. I wouldn't be too worried about burning a year of ELC. Just the experience of travel, working out, practicing alone is worth something. Even watching from the press box is worth something. He's already had a season of college hockey, playoffs, and won the WJC. He can take the information gained from the club home, and be a real force in the fall.

Also don't forget he has a year of studing kinesiology. A degree he can actually apply to his professional career. Either that or be a gym teacher.
We have ten games left over three weeks. You think they'll practice him the next two weeks and let him play the last 4-5 games of the season? Seems like pretty good timing, no?

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:48 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
We have ten games left over three weeks. You think they'll practice him the next two weeks and let him play the last 4-5 games of the season? Seems like pretty good timing, no?
Sounds about right. The situation will be fluid.

I also think that even if they burn a year of ELC this year (6 games), if they feel he needs to be in the AHL next year he will be. Much like the Grigorenko situation. 23 games and he's one year closer to UFA. I doubt he would hit that this year.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:

He looks like a blue chipper, i sure hope we would be doing the right thing if we play him in the NHL so soon.
Well said, was going to post something similar.

I'm not saying it's a bad decision as he definitely looks like he could pick up the NHL game quite well, but these exact same things were said about Bogo and Burmi and they've received their fair share of criticism on these boards for being brought up too soon.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:47 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Stating publicly that I was wrong.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:02 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Stating publicly that I was wrong.
I figured that we wouldn't see him until after his sophomore year, so this is a pleasant surprise for me.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:43 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Good, something to look forward to.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:16 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1190
Quote:

I see the situation completely different. There are no free passes given to raw rookies. Scheifele has been given 2 looks and each time management as decided he isn't ready and sent him back down, to Junior with no guarantee of a roster spot next season. No rushing a player happening there.

Trouba wasn't even brought to camp in year one, instead he went to college where he more than proved himself, plus he dominated at the WJC. After the season was completed Jets management evaluated the situation and he was offered an ELC, and from everything said so far there was no guarantee of a roster spot. The way this season has faded I expect Trouba will get a couple games to show what he can do, but not enough to use up his 1st year of his ELC. Next year he will come to camp and like Scheifele will be expected to earn a roster spot or they will be playing in St. Johns. My feeling is the Jets would prefer Trouba to be developing within the organization where they have more control than in college. The likely would have done the same thing with Scheifele if they could.

How in the world is this rushing prospects????

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:21 AM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I see the situation completely different. There are no free passes given to raw rookies. Scheifele has been given 2 looks and each time management as decided he isn't ready and sent him back down, to Junior with no guarantee of a roster spot next season. No rushing a player happening there.

Trouba wasn't even brought to camp in year one, instead he went to college where he more than proved himself, plus he dominated at the WJC. After the season was completed Jets management evaluated the situation and he was offered an ELC, and from everything said so far there was no guarantee of a roster spot. The way this season has faded I expect Trouba will get a couple games to show what he can do, but not enough to use up his 1st year of his ELC. Next year he will come to camp and like Scheifele will be expected to earn a roster spot or they will be playing in St. Johns. My feeling is the Jets would prefer Trouba to be developing within the organization where they have more control than in college. The likely would have done the same thing with Scheifele if they could.

Scheifele was not given a fair shot and alot believe that as well. He wasn't even given a chance at center til game 4. And if you call getting 8 min a game a chance then im not sure what to say.

Trouba could not goto a regular training camp as per ncaa rules. Personally I dont care if you burn the first year of ELC. Its only money. But plz, Lets not dress him as a 7th defenseman, give him 5 min a night and say you gave him a fair shot. I suspect next year he will start with the Icecaps.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:41 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
Scheifele was not given a fair shot and alot believe that as well. He wasn't even given a chance at center til game 4. And if you call getting 8 min a game a chance then im not sure what to say.

Trouba could not goto a regular training camp as per ncaa rules. Personally I dont care if you burn the first year of ELC. Its only money. But plz, Lets not dress him as a 7th defenseman, give him 5 min a night and say you gave him a fair shot. I suspect next year he will start with the Icecaps.
This just further argues that the Jets have no intention of rushing prospects which I agree.

But a team could have rushed Trouba if they wanted. Say the team was still in Atlanta. By the time NHL camps opened Trouba had just finished dominating at the WJC and helped lead the USA to a Gold and was also having a standout college season. He could have been signed then and there (to h*** with college) and put on the roster with full fanfare to generate interest in the team.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

People take things way out of context with how the Winnipeg Jets organization actually operates, views trades, how they handle prospects, some 5-year plan I have never even heard of, etc.

I have heard Chevy say 10 if not 20 times in less than 24 months, if a player is ready, and he proves ready, he will be here.

Not a hard concept to grasp. Just read or listen to what is being said.

04-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
This just further argues that the Jets have no intention of rushing prospects which I agree.

But a team could have rushed Trouba if they wanted. Say the team was still in Atlanta. By the time NHL camps opened Trouba had just finished dominating at the WJC and helped lead the USA to a Gold and was also having a standout college season. He could have been signed then and there (to h*** with college) and put on the roster with full fanfare to generate interest in the team.
exactly. All signing a contract does is say he's going to play "pro" hockey, not necessarily the NHL. Chevy even said there are no expectations and no assumptions. It was pretty clear what he was talking about- trouba is not "walking on" to the NHL roster. All signing him does is give him the opportunity to if he's ready.

I imagine he'll get some practices, get into 4-5 games (noel permitting) and they'll decide whether he stays up for finishes out the season on the rock.

I don't see how that's possibly rushing a prospect.

signing a player out of the draft, and gifting them a roster spot = a player playing an extra year of college, and getting the opportunity to earn a spot at the end of the season? not to me it doesn't.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:16 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
I hope the Jets don't burn a year of his ELC on this season. Let him play 5 games and then send him to the rock to play top minutes
I think anything over 5 games in the NHL and AHL combined this year burns a year of ELC correct?

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Glad he is signed! He will bring the boom to our lineup hopefully next season or the one after. I cant really see him playing this year unless we complete our tailspin and drop the next five with no points and just to see where his skill level is at. I know he did very well at the WJC but that does not equate to immidiate success in the NHL. He will be going up against grown men who have years of skill and experience. That being said bring on Trouba and lets see what he has got for us

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Huffer

Quote:

The difference between this and Kane is that there are 10 games in the season left. This isn't Trouba being shoved onto the team at 18 or 19. It's just a chance to give him a look (hopefully play less than 5 games) not burn a year of ELC, and see what he's got. What's the difference between Trouba playing 5 games or so at the end of the season, as opposed to what happens to most top prospects and their playing of 5 games at the beginning of the season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Well said, was going to post something similar.

I'm not saying it's a bad decision as he definitely looks like he could pick up the NHL game quite well, but these exact same things were said about Bogo and Burmi and they've received their fair share of criticism on these boards for being brought up too soon.
What's the difference though in Trouba playing a few games at the end of the season compared to other top prospects playing them at the beginning? Burmi and Bogo were put on the NHL lineup the first year after being drafted. While Trouba hasn't had two full seasons after being drafted before the NHL like Scheifele looks to get, he has had a season in the NCAA and the World Juniors. Plus, I don't see where this is a guarantee that he's on the team going forward. He's still going to have to earn that.

Quote:

I agree.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:25 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
as i posted a week ago, after signing, he will need 2 weeks to get used to NHL practices, the pace, conditioning, etc.

That would bring us to April 18. that would leave 4-5 games left on the schedule.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Congrats guys, an absolute stud!

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote