HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Trouba going pro (UPD: Jets agree to terms)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 12:12 PM
  #151
ps241
zero effort Avy!!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 50
I echo the sentiments of those that have mentioned Detroit's upcoming challenges. Last year when Nic retired I half joked "now we will find out what kind of a GM Holland is". having Lidstrom on your blue line for close to 20 years can make any GM look smart. I tip my hat to Detroit because they have done it with class for a long time but they are getting old and I don't see the next group coming up behind at this point. I remember when we were supposed to be in their division next year I honestly thought that was a good thing.

On topic I would like to see TNSE develop our prospects “properly” period (notice no timetable in that statement). TSNE clearly thinks Trouba is ready for the next challenge whatever that entails and that is a great sign for both Trouba and the Jets for those that doubted Chevy meant what he said when he stated each prospect will have their own timetable.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:15 PM
  #152
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
My first thought here is, he is thinking of staying and maturing more. With young prospects, it's usually stated more time is "beneficial".

On the flip side, given his talent and how far along he is believed to be, the logical "beneficial" move in the eyes of scouts, Noel, the organization, etc, is to play at the next level and be challenged.

Let the pondering continue.
I was thinking he meant going pro would be more beneficial. But by the sounds of his quote he was really enjoying the ladies and the college life as well. Someone give him a call and bring him to the Peg and take him down to Earls or Moxies and Im sure he will sign the same day

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
  #153
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man
 
winterpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Has anyone here mentioned yet that the guy that was considered to be Michigan's #1 D, Merrill, turned pro this morning? I think that lessens the likelihood of Trouba turning pro now. Despite that Merrill missed much of the past season, Michigan will surely be putting pressure on Trouba now not to abandon them and leave them with no depth, using the reasoning that he can be the #1 guy now, despite that he already was, and that the team was without Merrill for most of the year regardless.
You could just as quickly say though, that since Trouba is arguably (or just straight up) better, he would feel he should go if Merrill does, and that if the D core is weakening he may as well jump ship now and go pro instead of going down with the ship.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
  #154
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Nope. Jets can talk directly to Trouba, and I am sure Chevy and the rest of the Jets organization has talked to him plenty of times. Talking is fine, it's free. Jets cannot BUY or GIVE him anything, and Trouba is not allowed to hire an agent or anybody to advise him. Jets can talk to Trouba, and Trouba can have agents act as "family advisors" (so long as they are unpaid) so long as nothing financial ever changes hands in any way.
Absolutely correct...in fact, Jimmy Roy has been there to speak and work with him this year (Roy works for the Jets). Again, Lawless doesn't let facts get in the way...

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
  #155
Mossy Oak
Noted.
 
Mossy Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,672
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

If signed, I don't think Trouba will sign and head to St. John's. Pointless, IMO. Maybe next year, but these 4-5 games on a playoffless IceCaps team will not do much, he'd be better off sitting in the pressbox for rest of season + playoffs than playing a couple AHL games.

All in all, it's really depends on whether he has a real shot of being on the team NEXT year. Jets must have some idea of what they want to do, we have 6 free agents on the blueline (Hainsey, Clitsome UFA, Bogosian, Postma, Kulda, Redmond RFA), so it depends on how many the Jets want to bring back next year. If Trouba will have an opportunity to make the team (ie not guaranteed but at least SOME chance of making the team) next year then sign him and let him experience this playoff run, maybe with a game or two if the opportunity arises. If not, let him stay in college for now.
On the flip side, if the Ice Caps were a team running for a playoff spot, or playoff positioning, etc.. would they insert Trouba over the guys they currently have? Last year for example, Scheifele didn't get lots of ice time due to the depth and what was at stake.

I still think playing in the AHL regardless of their position in the standings could be a good thing. And as of this Saturday the Ice Caps have 10 games remaining. The AHL is a HUGE jump from NCAA, then there is the jump to the NHL. Giving Trouba some time in the AHL, where the pressure isn't there to make the playoffs or fight for positioning, etc, could be beneficial in that he can slide right into top pairing minutes and role.

Not saying I disagree with you, but I do think the flipside still provides some quality experience for a young defenseman in Trouba's shoes. Even if it is just a small cup of coffee of 10 games.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=142406  1186 verified CLOWN

Last edited by Mossy Oak: 03-27-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Mossy Oak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
  #156
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Something that seems to be missing in the discussion here is how ready Trouba is for the NHL from a strength standpoint. It's one thing to be playing against 18 and 19 year olds in the WJC and older players in the NCAA, but it's another to be playing against stronger and faster NHL players.

I'm not implying that Trouba won't leave Michigan because he could very well do so, but the question I have to ask is can Trouba handle the strength and speed of NHL players and the faster pace of the NHL game right away?

Well shall see.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
  #157
ps241
zero effort Avy!!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Absolutely correct...in fact, Jimmy Roy has been there to speak and work with him this year (Roy works for the Jets). Again, Lawless doesn't let facts get in the way...
Gary "Tommy Boy" Lawless



A David Spade quote while working with Tommy Boy (Chris Farley) on sales calls:

"I'm gonna go get directions to our next huge embarrassing failure".

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
  #158
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Howard Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Honestly, I just don't know. It's really hard to say. Will he be able to crack into the top 6 here?

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian

Is pretty set.

We already have Stuart, Kulda, Clitsome, Postma as legitimate options for the bottom pairing. Where does Trouba fit into this mix this year? Does he manage to get into game time? Not sure.

If signed, I don't think Trouba will sign and head to St. John's. Pointless, IMO. Maybe next year, but these 4-5 games on a playoffless IceCaps team will not do much, he'd be better off sitting in the pressbox for rest of season + playoffs than playing a couple AHL games.

All in all, it's really depends on whether he has a real shot of being on the team NEXT year. Jets must have some idea of what they want to do, we have 6 free agents on the blueline (Hainsey, Clitsome UFA, Bogosian, Postma, Kulda, Redmond RFA), so it depends on how many the Jets want to bring back next year. If Trouba will have an opportunity to make the team (ie not guaranteed but at least SOME chance of making the team) next year then sign him and let him experience this playoff run, maybe with a game or two if the opportunity arises. If not, let him stay in college for now.
I agree with all of the above, but the bolded portion specifically. Being part of an NHL playoff experience with the team (assuming we go that far) would go a long way to making him feel like part of the team, while learning the type of play expected etc. Lots of good 'buy in' opportunity, not just playing time.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
  #159
Ulf Hullberg
Registered User
 
Ulf Hullberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Something that seems to be missing in the discussion here is how ready Trouba is for the NHL from a strength standpoint. It's one thing to be playing against 18 and 19 year olds in the WJC and older players in the NCAA, but it's another to be playing against stronger and faster NHL players.

I'm not implying that Trouba won't leave Michigan because he could very well do so, but the question I have to ask is can Trouba handle the strength and speed of NHL players and the faster pace of the NHL game right away?

Well shall see.
I think that's a given.

Having the strength to compete as a D-man (no matter the age) against NHL'ers is important. However, having the smarts to know how to use whatever strength you do have (or are lacking) is even more important. Smarts, body position and technique can make up for a lack of strength.

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:46 PM
  #160
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,842
vCash: 120
This thread certainly begs the question: why is there a thread on Rick Ralph when the main perpetrator of blow hardedness is roaming free unabated?!

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
  #161
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Detroit's "system" and "prospects" are overrated in my opinion. I feel they're on the brink of toiling into mediocrity in the coming years because of this. Their lack of worthy prospects is likely going to hurt them in the coming years. And who on their roster right now did they draft and develop, is young, on the brink of being a real go-to-guy for them, that isn't nearly 30? Nobody.

Don't get me wrong, The Detroit Red Wings have been a model of consistency for a couple decades now, but in my opinion, those days are coming to an end in the next couple years. They are an organization on the decline, in my opinion.
Agreed 100% the last player of note that they produced was Franzen and he was drafted back in 2004. Since then all they have managed to produce are a bunch of depth players. Simply put their players spend longer in the minors because they quite frankly arent good enough to be on the team.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:00 PM
  #162
Sweech
Kane & The Dane
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,152
vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Has anyone here mentioned yet that the guy that was considered to be Michigan's #1 D, Merrill, turned pro this morning? I think that lessens the likelihood of Trouba turning pro now. Despite that Merrill missed much of the past season, Michigan will surely be putting pressure on Trouba now not to abandon them and leave them with no depth, using the reasoning that he can be the #1 guy now, despite that he already was, and that the team was without Merrill for most of the year regardless.
It could also have the opposite effect. Merrill and Trouba were very good friends before they played on the Wolverines together. In fact Merrill was one of the ones who recruited Trouba to play for Michigan in the first place. Now that one of his best friends is gone he has less reason to hang around.

I do feel Trouba will stay. I think family pressure and the will to win a championship for Michigan before he leaves will ultimately convince Trouba to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Agreed 100% the last player of note that they produced was Franzen and he was drafted back in 2004. Since then all they have managed to produce are a bunch of depth players. Simply put their players spend longer in the minors because they quite frankly arent good enough to be on the team.
Detroit have been living off reputation for a very long time now. There's a reason when the Jets said they wanted to be a drafting team and cited Nashville amongst others as examples of that model that they left Detroit off that list. Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist aren't turning into the superstars that Detroit fans would have all had us believe they were going to be.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:02 PM
  #163
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,746
vCash: 500
A key part of him going to St. Johns this season is he could learn the Jets system and what is expected of him. I read on here that St. Johns plays the same system as the Jets. 8 or 9 games there could be huge for him

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:07 PM
  #164
Mossy Oak
Noted.
 
Mossy Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,672
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Something that seems to be missing in the discussion here is how ready Trouba is for the NHL from a strength standpoint. It's one thing to be playing against 18 and 19 year olds in the WJC and older players in the NCAA, but it's another to be playing against stronger and faster NHL players.

I'm not implying that Trouba won't leave Michigan because he could very well do so, but the question I have to ask is can Trouba handle the strength and speed of NHL players and the faster pace of the NHL game right away?

Well shall see.
This is why I think a cup of coffee in the AHL is a good thing if the organizations intention isn't go have him in the NHL in the coming weeks. If he's going to leave Michigan based on being too good for NCAA, then he needs to at least be tested at the next level, being the AHL (if not the NHL). In order to truly gauge where a player is, once deemed too good for his current level, being NCAA, the next step is to see how he handles the next level.

And while the competition may wind down within the final 10 games of the AHL season when teams have 'made it', there is still positioning to be fighting for in those final 10 games here. So teams will be playing the Ice Caps looking to take those points. Nobody should be mailing it in just yet.

A good test for Trouba would be getting 10 or so AHL games under his belt in order to see where he is at. After tonight, beginning Saturday, the Ice Caps have exactly 10 games remaining. And pretty well every team they play has something to play for right now.


Last edited by Mossy Oak: 03-27-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Mossy Oak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
  #165
smokes lets go
Registered User
 
smokes lets go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,327
vCash: 500
If it has not been mentioned already, if trouba turns pro and plays in the ahl, and less then 7 nhl games, his contract slides a year since he'll be under 20. Best case i can think of is Voynov from the kings, he went to the ahl for 2 years right out of the draft, and since he had no nhl games his ELC now is 5 years long. Didn't hurt his development either, kid's a stud for the kings

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:54 PM
  #166
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Has anyone here mentioned yet that the guy that was considered to be Michigan's #1 D, Merrill, turned pro this morning? I think that lessens the likelihood of Trouba turning pro now. Despite that Merrill missed much of the past season, Michigan will surely be putting pressure on Trouba now not to abandon them and leave them with no depth, using the reasoning that he can be the #1 guy now, despite that he already was, and that the team was without Merrill for most of the year regardless.
Merrill leaving was brought up but the persons view point on that outcome was different than your own. I could see either... whole thing is like that for me haha but back on topic...
Merrill is LHD so I'm sure it doesn't affect him (much) in that mindset as a C leaving would affect a winger.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:58 PM
  #167
PaperRockChamp
Registered User
 
PaperRockChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 1554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Something that seems to be missing in the discussion here is how ready Trouba is for the NHL from a strength standpoint. It's one thing to be playing against 18 and 19 year olds in the WJC and older players in the NCAA, but it's another to be playing against stronger and faster NHL players.

I'm not implying that Trouba won't leave Michigan because he could very well do so, but the question I have to ask is can Trouba handle the strength and speed of NHL players and the faster pace of the NHL game right away?

Well shall see.
It's not being discussed because we all assume it's the obvious first question. If his strength was doubted, there would be no discussion at all about this year.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:00 PM
  #168
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
A key part of him going to St. Johns this season is he could learn the Jets system and what is expected of him. I read on here that St. Johns plays the same system as the Jets. 8 or 9 games there could be huge for him
Somewhat similar, but I find them to be a lot more open.

Since the loss of all their offensive D (Postma, Meech and Redmond) they activate the D a lot less too.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:01 PM
  #169
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperRockChamp View Post
It's not being discussed because we all assume it's the obvious first question. If his strength was doubted, there would be no discussion at all about this year.
Short term I do question it a bit.

A lot of Trouba's defensive game relies on strength and I'm not sure he has it yet for NHL level, at least in a top4 scenario.

However, I have NO doubts that it will be a problem in the long term.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
  #170
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Something that seems to be missing in the discussion here is how ready Trouba is for the NHL from a strength standpoint. It's one thing to be playing against 18 and 19 year olds in the WJC and older players in the NCAA, but it's another to be playing against stronger and faster NHL players.

I'm not implying that Trouba won't leave Michigan because he could very well do so, but the question I have to ask is can Trouba handle the strength and speed of NHL players and the faster pace of the NHL game right away?

Well shall see.
I dont feel that we will see Trouba in the NHL this season if he decides to go pro. We are pushing for a playoff spot. It is no time to throw a rookie into the lineup to possibly make "rookie" mistakes that may cost us points on our push.

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:30 PM
  #171
GoldenJet89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
In regards to rushing prospects, or prospect timelines:

There is NO harm in giving a prospect a chance, bringing him up to the club, letting him practice and learn the system, and then giving him some gametime to see how it plays out

You only hurt players confidence/development IF you continue to play them/overuse them when they have shown they are NOT ready or capable yet.

If trouba is willing to come, you absolutely bring him in, let him work with the boys and get used to the system. And if he looks good in prac and an opportunity arises then you put him into some games and see what he can do. If hes not comfortable yet or struggles you take him off and let him watch and learn, if he succeeds and shows well you role with him.

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:34 PM
  #172
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 1554
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
In regards to rushing prospects, or prospect timelines:

There is NO harm in giving a prospect a chance, bringing him up to the club, letting him practice and learn the system, and then giving him some gametime to see how it plays out

You only hurt players confidence/development IF you continue to play them/overuse them when they have shown they are NOT ready or capable yet.

If trouba is willing to come, you absolutely bring him in, let him work with the boys and get used to the system. And if he looks good in prac and an opportunity arises then you put him into some games and see what he can do. If hes not comfortable yet or struggles you take him off and let him watch and learn, if he succeeds and shows well you role with him.
Exactly. If you have the opportunity to give him a taste of NHL hockey, why not give it to him? If anything, it gives the kid an idea of the level he has to attain before he can become a regular contributor, and as one that has already admitted he needs to get stronger...what better way to gauge his strength by pitting it against real life NHL opponents?

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:43 PM
  #173
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Short term I do question it a bit.

A lot of Trouba's defensive game relies on strength and I'm not sure he has it yet for NHL level, at least in a top4 scenario.

However, I have NO doubts that it will be a problem in the long term.
I still think it's a bit early for Trouba to join the Jets, particularly with the level of competition at this time of year.

However, I don't think I would agree entirely with the notion that his defensive game relying on his strength. From what I've seen and heard, he is a plus skater, which is a strong asset for his defensive (and offensive) game. He is also a good passer, which is important for initiating break-outs from the zone. He's a very good hitter, but that relates more to skating, balance and timing than strength, I would think. Burmistrov is a much better hitter than many Jets, even though he is not likely the strongest.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:46 PM
  #174
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 1554
I can't imagine Enstrom is a crazy strong Defenceman either...

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:53 PM
  #175
videofarmer
thirsty
 
videofarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
In regards to rushing prospects, or prospect timelines:

There is NO harm in giving a prospect a chance, bringing him up to the club, letting him practice and learn the system, and then giving him some gametime to see how it plays out

You only hurt players confidence/development IF you continue to play them/overuse them when they have shown they are NOT ready or capable yet.

If trouba is willing to come, you absolutely bring him in, let him work with the boys and get used to the system. And if he looks good in prac and an opportunity arises then you put him into some games and see what he can do. If hes not comfortable yet or struggles you take him off and let him watch and learn, if he succeeds and shows well you role with him.
This is what teams do at camp and at the beginning of the season with promising rookies, not in the middle of a playoff push at the end of the season.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.