HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Trouba going pro (UPD: Jets agree to terms)

Old
04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Personally I think he will sign, but only after the trade deadline. Our roster is full.
This is actually a good point that I hadn't considered.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:48 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Bro, be real, it's obviously to pick up college chicks. Trying to kill my pain with a Staropramen.#qualitybeer
C'mon now, what attracts chicks more "Hi I'm Jacob Trouba of the Winnipeg Jets NHL Team" or "Hi I'm Jacob Trouba of the University of Michigan". Chicks love money, NHLers make more of it...

Puck Bunnies everywhere will rejoice once he signs on the dotted line (it's actually a solid line now, not sure why that saying is still around).

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
I thought Trouba would leave, but I would have to say that it's looking like he wants to give it at least another year. A U of M Kinesiology Degree ensures him a job as a gym teacher if his hockey career falls flat.
Perhaps, but he would be guaranteed more $$$ in one entry level contract than he could make in four lifetimes as gym teacher

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Perhaps, but he would be guaranteed more $$$ in one entry level contract than he could make in four lifetimes as gym teacher
Nope. An ELC can be worth as little as 180K over 3 years (as in 60K/year)...not exactly world class money...

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Wouldn't he have to play to 23 under the ELC to only get 180k out of it?

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Nope. An ELC can be worth as little as 180K over 3 years (as in 60K/year)...not exactly world class money...
So, you're suggesting Trouba will sign a contract for $60K/year? WTF? Really?

If so, I want to know the name of you pharmacist and/or your supplier. Thank-you.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Wouldn't he have to play to 23 under the ELC to only get 180k out of it?
Huh? It's if the player spends all 3 seasons played under the ELC in the AHL...not really sure what you are getting at...

Quote:
So, you're suggesting Trouba will sign a contract for $60K/year? WTF? Really?

If so, I want to know the name of you pharmacist and/or your supplier. Thank-you.
Yes. It's MANDATED BY THE LEAGUE. All ELC's are two-way. ELC's generally pay 60-70K per year in the AHL. Scheifele's is only 70K per year as well.

Point is, it is NOT guaranteed.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Quote:
Yeah but this is Jacob Trouba not Jason Kasdorf...

He should get a similar ELC to Kane or Burmi (67.5k AHL base/900k NHL + 90k bonus + around $1M performance bonuses)

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Huh? It's if the player spends all 3 seasons played under the ELC in the AHL...not really sure what you are getting at...

Yes. It's MANDATED BY THE LEAGUE. All ELC's are two-way. ELC's generally pay 60-70K per year in the AHL. Scheifele's is only 70K per year as well.

Point is, it is NOT guaranteed.
Whatever, my point is Trouba will make over $1,750,000 in his first 3 years as a pro. He will not play in the AHL.

How many years would a gym teacher in the U.S. have to work to make that much dough?

It's a dumb argument. End of story.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
I was thinking CHL prospects who have their ELC slide.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Yeah but this is Jacob Trouba not Jason Kasdorf...

He should get a similar ELC to Kane or Burmi (67.5k AHL base/900k NHL + 90k bonus + around $1M performance bonuses)
Yes, but even once he signs he is far from guaranteed to be a successful NHLer. And there's not all that much money in AHL. Point is, the poster was VASTLY overstating how good a deal an ELC is.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:34 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, but even once he signs he is far from guaranteed to be a successful NHLer. And there's not all that much money in AHL. Point is, the poster was VASTLY overstating how good a deal an ELC is.
Of course, there are no guarantees in life. We all know that....

If you're up for a wager, I'll bet five-24's of your favorite lager that by December 2016 Trouba will have made more $$$ playing pro hockey than he would make in 30 years as a gym teacher in the U.S. (based on the average wage for a gym teacher in Michigan in 2014). For this wager, my choice of brew is Corona.

I mean, that was the original argument in this thread, wasn't it? So, are you up for the wager?

Old
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 415
Quote:
There is not much room to negotiate on an ELC. he will sign for the max (or very close to it) just like most top 10 picks.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

If you're up for a wager, I'll bet five-24's of your favorite lager that by December 2016 Trouba will have made more $$$ playing pro hockey than he would make in 30 years as a gym teacher in the U.S. (based on the average wage for a gym teacher in Michigan in 2014). For this wager, my choice of brew is Corona.

I mean, that was the original argument in this thread, wasn't it? So, are you up for the wager?
Yet you used the WORD guarantee. I just wanted to point that out. I'm a stickler for details.

Not interested in betting, particularly against my favourite prospect in the Jets organization...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
There is not much room to negotiate on an ELC. he will sign for the max (or very close to it) just like most top 10 picks.
I am well aware of that...but that money is not GUARANTEED. That was my only point here guys

Old
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
No he wouldn't. He could spend 3 years in the ahl making 70 grand a year.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
No he wouldn't. He could spend 3 years in the ahl making 70 grand a year.
Right, and Trouba will make 70 grand a year as a pro in his first three years after signing. Am I the only one that thinks this is bat crap insane crazy?

Old
04-01-2013, 06:34 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Right, and Trouba will make 70 grand a year as a pro in his first three years after signing. Am I the only one that thinks this is bat crap insane crazy?
The poster you were responding to said it would be good to get his degree in case his hockey career fails. So yeah, if his career failed he wouldn't be playing in the NHL and his ELC wouldn't net him more money than a lifetime working as a gym teacher.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

HFBOARDS...where the S stands for semantics

ps. not a dig, i'm a stickler for them to

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Rook37

vCash: 466
Quote:

I'll bet that by December 2016 Trouba will have made more $$$ playing pro hockey than he would make in 30 years as a gym teacher in the U.S.

Quote:
he would be guaranteed more $$$ in one entry level contract than he could make in four lifetimes as gym teacher
30 years seems like an awfully low estimate for four lifetimes...

Anyways, I think we've all got fairly low opinions of Trouba if we think his decision's really going to be based off short-term income or chicks. Judging from everything we've heard so far, it seems like his education and development are his top priorites, as they should be.

To that effect, I don't think we should be surprised if he sticks around at U of Michigan* but at the same time IF he thinks he's ready for the big leagues, I think he's more likely to play in the AHL for a bit to get used to the pros than he is to just drop onto the Jets roster mid-season. He's not going to be a top pairing defenceman right away and we've got more than enough lower pairing D this season as it is, no? (Clitsome, Stuart, Postma, Kulda)

I will admit that I'm nowhere as up to date on his development as I could be, though - does anyone think he's ready for the show already at 19yrs old? I've always just assumed he'd do some time in the AHL before coming up.

* U of M = Manitoba to me, sorry.

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Personally I think he will sign, but only after the trade deadline. Our roster is full.
That's possible. Maybe he wants to see where he would stand on the depth chart or what opportunity he would have after Wednesdays trade deadline.

04-01-2013, 07:40 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 32m

Cheveldayoff said there was nothing new to report regarding #NHLJets 2012 first rounder Jacob Trouba staying in school or turning pro

Old
04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook37 View Post
30 years seems like an awfully low estimate for four lifetimes...

Anyways, I think we've all got fairly low opinions of Trouba if we think his decision's really going to be based off short-term income or chicks. Judging from everything we've heard so far, it seems like his education and development are his top priorites, as they should be.

To that effect, I don't think we should be surprised if he sticks around at U of Michigan* but at the same time IF he thinks he's ready for the big leagues, I think he's more likely to play in the AHL for a bit to get used to the pros than he is to just drop onto the Jets roster mid-season. He's not going to be a top pairing defenceman right away and we've got more than enough lower pairing D this season as it is, no? (Clitsome, Stuart, Postma, Kulda)

I will admit that I'm nowhere as up to date on his development as I could be, though - does anyone think he's ready for the show already at 19yrs old? I've always just assumed he'd do some time in the AHL before coming up.

* U of M = Manitoba to me, sorry.
Based on what I have seen it is my opinion he could play bottom pairing sheltered minutes although it wouldn't suprise me if he split time between the AHL and NHL next season if he turned pro. That being said he has speed, skill, and size, and for my money he has looked pretty poised with the puck when I have watched him. His errors tend to come from aggression in attempting tough passes or going out of his way to crush someone and taking himself out of the play. those are the kind of things that can be reeled in over the short term. in my opinion he is a smart player and his game (if tempered slightly) will transition pretty well to the pros.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
C'mon now, what attracts chicks more "Hi I'm Jacob Trouba of the Winnipeg Jets NHL Team" or "Hi I'm Jacob Trouba of the University of Michigan". Chicks love money, NHLers make more of it...

Puck Bunnies everywhere will rejoice once he signs on the dotted line (it's actually a solid line now, not sure why that saying is still around).

Now I've never been to Winnipeg, but why do I suspect that Ann Arbour college girls vs. Winnipeg women is no contest for a 19-yr-old like Trouba?

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Now I've never been to Winnipeg, but why do I suspect that Ann Arbour college girls vs. Winnipeg women is no contest for a 19-yr-old like Trouba?
You haven't been to Winnipeg. It's no contest.

I don't know if its the gene pool up here but we have a very high level of gorgeous people in Manitoba.

Fact.

04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
You would be suprised fatschoonerrat

We have our challenges in Winnipeg but this is an area of surprising abundance. Also the Jets = #1 in Winnipeg by a long shot and I am guessing in Michigan hockey might have competition with Football, basketball etc etc.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote