HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Trouba going pro (UPD: Jets agree to terms)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
  #201
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man
 
winterpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Personally I think he will sign, but only after the trade deadline. Our roster is full.
This is actually a good point that I hadn't considered.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:48 PM
  #202
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Bro, be real, it's obviously to pick up college chicks. Trying to kill my pain with a Staropramen.#qualitybeer
C'mon now, what attracts chicks more "Hi I'm Jacob Trouba of the Winnipeg Jets NHL Team" or "Hi I'm Jacob Trouba of the University of Michigan". Chicks love money, NHLers make more of it...

Puck Bunnies everywhere will rejoice once he signs on the dotted line (it's actually a solid line now, not sure why that saying is still around).


ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
  #203
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jimmycrackcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
I thought Trouba would leave, but I would have to say that it's looking like he wants to give it at least another year. A U of M Kinesiology Degree ensures him a job as a gym teacher if his hockey career falls flat.
Perhaps, but he would be guaranteed more $$$ in one entry level contract than he could make in four lifetimes as gym teacher

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:12 PM
  #204
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Perhaps, but he would be guaranteed more $$$ in one entry level contract than he could make in four lifetimes as gym teacher
Nope. An ELC can be worth as little as 180K over 3 years (as in 60K/year)...not exactly world class money...

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
  #205
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,535
vCash: 500
Wouldn't he have to play to 23 under the ELC to only get 180k out of it?

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
  #206
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jimmycrackcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Nope. An ELC can be worth as little as 180K over 3 years (as in 60K/year)...not exactly world class money...
So, you're suggesting Trouba will sign a contract for $60K/year? WTF? Really?

If so, I want to know the name of you pharmacist and/or your supplier. Thank-you.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:17 PM
  #207
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Wouldn't he have to play to 23 under the ELC to only get 180k out of it?
Huh? It's if the player spends all 3 seasons played under the ELC in the AHL...not really sure what you are getting at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
So, you're suggesting Trouba will sign a contract for $60K/year? WTF? Really?

If so, I want to know the name of you pharmacist and/or your supplier. Thank-you.
Yes. It's MANDATED BY THE LEAGUE. All ELC's are two-way. ELC's generally pay 60-70K per year in the AHL. Scheifele's is only 70K per year as well.

Point is, it is NOT guaranteed.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:17 PM
  #208
Jets
Resident Sieve
 
Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Nope. An ELC can be worth as little as 180K over 3 years (as in 60K/year)...not exactly world class money...
Yeah but this is Jacob Trouba not Jason Kasdorf...

He should get a similar ELC to Kane or Burmi (67.5k AHL base/900k NHL + 90k bonus + around $1M performance bonuses)

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
  #209
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jimmycrackcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Huh? It's if the player spends all 3 seasons played under the ELC in the AHL...not really sure what you are getting at...



Yes. It's MANDATED BY THE LEAGUE. All ELC's are two-way. ELC's generally pay 60-70K per year in the AHL. Scheifele's is only 70K per year as well.

Point is, it is NOT guaranteed.
Whatever, my point is Trouba will make over $1,750,000 in his first 3 years as a pro. He will not play in the AHL.

How many years would a gym teacher in the U.S. have to work to make that much dough?

It's a dumb argument. End of story.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
  #210
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Huh? It's if the player spends all 3 seasons played under the ELC in the AHL...not really sure what you are getting at...
I was thinking CHL prospects who have their ELC slide.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
  #211
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Yeah but this is Jacob Trouba not Jason Kasdorf...

He should get a similar ELC to Kane or Burmi (67.5k AHL base/900k NHL + 90k bonus + around $1M performance bonuses)
Yes, but even once he signs he is far from guaranteed to be a successful NHLer. And there's not all that much money in AHL. Point is, the poster was VASTLY overstating how good a deal an ELC is.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:34 PM
  #212
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jimmycrackcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yes, but even once he signs he is far from guaranteed to be a successful NHLer. And there's not all that much money in AHL. Point is, the poster was VASTLY overstating how good a deal an ELC is.
Of course, there are no guarantees in life. We all know that....

If you're up for a wager, I'll bet five-24's of your favorite lager that by December 2016 Trouba will have made more $$$ playing pro hockey than he would make in 30 years as a gym teacher in the U.S. (based on the average wage for a gym teacher in Michigan in 2014). For this wager, my choice of brew is Corona.

I mean, that was the original argument in this thread, wasn't it? So, are you up for the wager?

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
  #213
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,991
vCash: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yes, but even once he signs he is far from guaranteed to be a successful NHLer. And there's not all that much money in AHL. Point is, the poster was VASTLY overstating how good a deal an ELC is.
There is not much room to negotiate on an ELC. he will sign for the max (or very close to it) just like most top 10 picks.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
  #214
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Of course, there are no guarantees in life. We all know that....

If you're up for a wager, I'll bet five-24's of your favorite lager that by December 2016 Trouba will have made more $$$ playing pro hockey than he would make in 30 years as a gym teacher in the U.S. (based on the average wage for a gym teacher in Michigan in 2014). For this wager, my choice of brew is Corona.

I mean, that was the original argument in this thread, wasn't it? So, are you up for the wager?
Yet you used the WORD guarantee. I just wanted to point that out. I'm a stickler for details.

Not interested in betting, particularly against my favourite prospect in the Jets organization...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
There is not much room to negotiate on an ELC. he will sign for the max (or very close to it) just like most top 10 picks.
I am well aware of that...but that money is not GUARANTEED. That was my only point here guys

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
  #215
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Perhaps, but he would be guaranteed more $$$ in one entry level contract than he could make in four lifetimes as gym teacher
No he wouldn't. He could spend 3 years in the ahl making 70 grand a year.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
  #216
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jimmycrackcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
No he wouldn't. He could spend 3 years in the ahl making 70 grand a year.
Right, and Trouba will make 70 grand a year as a pro in his first three years after signing. Am I the only one that thinks this is bat crap insane crazy?

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:34 PM
  #217
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Right, and Trouba will make 70 grand a year as a pro in his first three years after signing. Am I the only one that thinks this is bat crap insane crazy?
The poster you were responding to said it would be good to get his degree in case his hockey career fails. So yeah, if his career failed he wouldn't be playing in the NHL and his ELC wouldn't net him more money than a lifetime working as a gym teacher.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
  #218
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,161
vCash: 500
HFBOARDS...where the S stands for semantics




ps. not a dig, i'm a stickler for them to

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
  #219
Rook37
Registered User
 
Rook37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 624
vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Of course, there are no guarantees in life. We all know that....

I'll bet that by December 2016 Trouba will have made more $$$ playing pro hockey than he would make in 30 years as a gym teacher in the U.S.

I mean, that was the original argument in this thread, wasn't it? So, are you up for the wager?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
he would be guaranteed more $$$ in one entry level contract than he could make in four lifetimes as gym teacher
30 years seems like an awfully low estimate for four lifetimes...


Anyways, I think we've all got fairly low opinions of Trouba if we think his decision's really going to be based off short-term income or chicks. Judging from everything we've heard so far, it seems like his education and development are his top priorites, as they should be.

To that effect, I don't think we should be surprised if he sticks around at U of Michigan* but at the same time IF he thinks he's ready for the big leagues, I think he's more likely to play in the AHL for a bit to get used to the pros than he is to just drop onto the Jets roster mid-season. He's not going to be a top pairing defenceman right away and we've got more than enough lower pairing D this season as it is, no? (Clitsome, Stuart, Postma, Kulda)

I will admit that I'm nowhere as up to date on his development as I could be, though - does anyone think he's ready for the show already at 19yrs old? I've always just assumed he'd do some time in the AHL before coming up.

* U of M = Manitoba to me, sorry.

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
  #220
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Personally I think he will sign, but only after the trade deadline. Our roster is full.
That's possible. Maybe he wants to see where he would stand on the depth chart or what opportunity he would have after Wednesdays trade deadline.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=141082  3903
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:40 PM
  #221
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 32m

Cheveldayoff said there was nothing new to report regarding #NHLJets 2012 first rounder Jacob Trouba staying in school or turning pro
....

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
  #222
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook37 View Post
30 years seems like an awfully low estimate for four lifetimes...


Anyways, I think we've all got fairly low opinions of Trouba if we think his decision's really going to be based off short-term income or chicks. Judging from everything we've heard so far, it seems like his education and development are his top priorites, as they should be.

To that effect, I don't think we should be surprised if he sticks around at U of Michigan* but at the same time IF he thinks he's ready for the big leagues, I think he's more likely to play in the AHL for a bit to get used to the pros than he is to just drop onto the Jets roster mid-season. He's not going to be a top pairing defenceman right away and we've got more than enough lower pairing D this season as it is, no? (Clitsome, Stuart, Postma, Kulda)

I will admit that I'm nowhere as up to date on his development as I could be, though - does anyone think he's ready for the show already at 19yrs old? I've always just assumed he'd do some time in the AHL before coming up.

* U of M = Manitoba to me, sorry.
Based on what I have seen it is my opinion he could play bottom pairing sheltered minutes although it wouldn't suprise me if he split time between the AHL and NHL next season if he turned pro. That being said he has speed, skill, and size, and for my money he has looked pretty poised with the puck when I have watched him. His errors tend to come from aggression in attempting tough passes or going out of his way to crush someone and taking himself out of the play. those are the kind of things that can be reeled in over the short term. in my opinion he is a smart player and his game (if tempered slightly) will transition pretty well to the pros.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
  #223
fatschoonerrat
Registered User
 
fatschoonerrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
C'mon now, what attracts chicks more "Hi I'm Jacob Trouba of the Winnipeg Jets NHL Team" or "Hi I'm Jacob Trouba of the University of Michigan". Chicks love money, NHLers make more of it...

Puck Bunnies everywhere will rejoice once he signs on the dotted line (it's actually a solid line now, not sure why that saying is still around).

Now I've never been to Winnipeg, but why do I suspect that Ann Arbour college girls vs. Winnipeg women is no contest for a 19-yr-old like Trouba?

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:50 PM
  #224
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 17,766
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Now I've never been to Winnipeg, but why do I suspect that Ann Arbour college girls vs. Winnipeg women is no contest for a 19-yr-old like Trouba?
You haven't been to Winnipeg. It's no contest.

I don't know if its the gene pool up here but we have a very high level of gorgeous people in Manitoba.

Fact.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
  #225
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Now I've never been to Winnipeg, but why do I suspect that Ann Arbour college girls vs. Winnipeg women is no contest for a 19-yr-old like Trouba?
You would be suprised fatschoonerrat

We have our challenges in Winnipeg but this is an area of surprising abundance. Also the Jets = #1 in Winnipeg by a long shot and I am guessing in Michigan hockey might have competition with Football, basketball etc etc.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.