HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Volchenkov @ 2.1M cap hit (3 years)

Old
04-15-2013, 01:22 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

vCash: 500
Volchenkov @ 2.1M cap hit (3 years)

I'm thinking that the Devils are more likely to try to find a taker for Volchenkov at 50% of his salary/cap-hit than to use the amnesty buyout on him. Not only does this reduce the amount of money we'd have to pay out (and no-one really knows how great the Devils financial situation is), but it also may be able to net them a mid or low round pick as opposed to absolutely nothing.

Obviously, the Devils would be stuck with 2.1M in dead cap space but that shouldn't be a huge deal considering we aren't likely to be at the cap ceiling the next few years.

So, any takers? Not looking for anything substantial, literally just a team who would want him. A 7th round pick would do

Last edited by DevilChuk*: 04-15-2013 at 01:35 AM.
DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Finnish your Czech
leafs are in the pla

vCash: 50
I don't think Volchenkov at 2.1MM for 4 years is that bad, you'd definitely get takers at that cap hit.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Rather just amnesty him

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:31 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Rather just amnesty him
You may, but I don't think the Devils management would.

They don't have to shell out 16M for him when he's not playing for them anyways.

The only differences between amnesty and trade at half cap hit is:
Trade= dead cap space of 2.1M for 4 years, spend 8M in cash.. get some asset whatever it is
Amnesty= no dead cap space, spend 16M in cash.. no asset

I don't think the Devils need that extra 2.1M in space so makes no sense to bother spending the extra 8M honestly.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Djp

Just to correct something---its $4.25M over 3 seasons after this one.

An amnesty buy out would release him off the cap.

a classic buyout would be 2/3 over 6 yrs. this amounts to $1.4 for 6 years.

Would a team take him at 50% of his salary for 3 years. there would be some takers. I see nothing better than a 5th rounder.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:34 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
I don't think Volchenkov at 2.1MM for 4 years is that bad, you'd definitely get takers at that cap hit.
It's the length that really concerns me. The cap hit is great, even for how poorly Volchenkov is playing. 4 years is probably 2 years too many.

I can see a team picking him up though, just don't know who's out there for a defender like Volch.

Regardless, I think his time as a Devil is all but over. I'm gonna miss him because he really is a force when he plays well.. but this year was just terrible for him and we have too many NHL defenders on the roster to bother keeping him. Especially because our coach likes to play him over Adam freaking Larsson.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:35 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Just to correct something---its $4.25M over 3 seasons after this one.

An amnesty buy out would release him off the cap.

a classic buyout would be 2/3 over 6 yrs. this amounts to $1.4 for 6 years.

Would a team take him at 50% of his salary for 3 years. there would be some takers. I see nothing better than a 5th rounder.
Oh, my bad. Thought it was 4 years left.

I'm pretty sure amnesty buyouts mean the team pays 100% of the remaining salary though. There's little point in using a regular buyout given the new 50% trade clause.

And I'll take a 5th rounder.. better than nothing honestly and I just see no point in the Devils spending extra money to conserve cap space they don't need.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Oh, my bad. Thought it was 4 years left.

I'm pretty sure amnesty buyouts mean the team pays 100% of the remaining salary though. There's little point in using a regular buyout given the new 50% trade clause.

And I'll take a 5th rounder.. better than nothing honestly and I just see no point in the Devils spending extra money to conserve cap space they don't need.

no ---amnesty buyouts is the same as regular buyouts. the amnesty buyouts do not count against the cap --- regular buyouts do count against the cap.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:39 AM
northernKing

Maybe LA? If Scuderi can't be signed this summer then maybe Lombardi uses his connection to Lou to land Volchenkov. Could be paired with Voynov on second pair behind Doughty and Mitchell. LA has ten draft picks in the 2013 draft

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:46 AM
ottawa
go habs go

You guys need a center for Kovalchuk...how about Desharnais? I know it's not much, but he's been lazy lately after he got his 3.5m/year contract and its really annoying to see

04-15-2013, 07:00 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
You guys need a center for Kovalchuk...how about Desharnais? I know it's not much, but he's been lazy lately after he got his 3.5m/year contract and its really annoying to see
Something around Volch for DD would make me happy

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Podgornik

I'd like him on the Wild, he'd be better then all but two of our D. Or at the very least he'd supplant one of Stoner/Falk. If a 3rd would get it done, Volchenkov at 2.1 mil would be better than either Stoner/Falk in a heartbeat.

Podgornik is offline   Reply With Quote