HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Wow, another 2 for Staal.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2003, 04:34 PM
  #1
sundinfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Wow, another 2 for Staal.

Staal got two more goals today trying to get the Canes back in the game. They were within 1 and he fed a perfect pass to...I forget who... and he hit the post. Ohh, well. Staal's chance of playing this season just keeps on rising. I actually think he's underrated.

Note: I'm pretty sure Staal cut his long hair pretty short now. Got to the hurricanes website to see a pic.

sundinfan13 is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 04:41 PM
  #2
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
Agreed. I think he's NHL-ready and is quite underrated on these forums.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 04:53 PM
  #3
moosefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
He is looking good, the Canes got a real good one in Staal. Here at the Canada camp last summer for the WJHC, Staal was one of the better players on the ice for the Winter time evaluation camp, I thought he was a lock to make the team, but they cut him though he outplayed many of the guys that Canada had on their team.

Glad to hear he is playing great.

moosefan is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 05:59 PM
  #4
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundinfan13
Staal got two more goals today trying to get the Canes back in the game. They were within 1 and he fed a perfect pass to...I forget who... and he hit the post.
I think it was Vrbata, not 100% sure though. Staal also reportedly had a good chance in the 1st period but was robbed by Khabibulin.

The Tampa radio announcer was giving out some stats on him, I believe 4 goals in 2 games, speculated that the 'Canes will probably sign him. Sounds like he's a good one!

Sotnos is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 06:29 PM
  #5
Blackjack
Registered User
 
Blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Posts: 6,034
vCash: 500
I like the Canes this year. Yeah, I remember what happened last year, but now all their offensive weapons are healthy again, plus you add Staal and Vrbata (although Kapanen left).

Blackjack is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 08:03 PM
  #6
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Agreed. I think he's NHL-ready and is quite underrated on these forums.
Part of this is due to RedLine. Quite a lot of people have faith in that garbage (at last what they can see on USAToday for free).

They successfully made fools of themselves again this year, ranking Staal 7th overall prospect.

Meanwhile, the "we just got th best player of the draft in Kastytsin" mantra of a few weeks ago was also directly from RedLine.

It does explain at least in part the sometimes weird opinions thrown around.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 08:37 PM
  #7
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Part of this is due to RedLine. Quite a lot of people have faith in that garbage (at last what they can see on USAToday for free).

They successfully made fools of themselves again this year, ranking Staal 7th overall prospect.

Meanwhile, the "we just got th best player of the draft in Kastytsin" mantra of a few weeks ago was also directly from RedLine.

It does explain at least in part the sometimes weird opinions thrown around.
Ahha! That makes sense. I've never read RedLine, so you'll have to forgive me there. I was wondering why Kastitsyn was getting so much hype. Given his lack of exposure, I was surprised many people had seen anything of him to hype him at all.

Regarding Staal, I don't think he would benefit much from going back to junior. But on the other hand, if he were to stick with the 'Canes, where would he play? One of Carolina's strengths is depth down the middle. I see Francis, Brind'Amour and Vasicek all fitting in better at center than on the wing. I'm not sure what effect playing Staal on the wing would have on his career, as he seems to be a good fit down the middle as well.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 08:54 PM
  #8
Skydog
Registered User
 
Skydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Regarding Staal, I don't think he would benefit much from going back to junior. But on the other hand, if he were to stick with the 'Canes, where would he play? One of Carolina's strengths is depth down the middle. I see Francis, Brind'Amour and Vasicek all fitting in better at center than on the wing. I'm not sure what effect playing Staal on the wing would have on his career, as he seems to be a good fit down the middle as well.
Over the offseason management talked about trying Francis or Vasicek on the wing since the left wing position is rather weak on the Canes. Then in a post game interview after the game tonight Paul Maurice mentioned that if Staal stuck with the team that he would get Power Play minutes and might center the 4th line. But he also mentioned that he felt Staal was smart enough to make the move to wing and still play well. He felt that it would help him avoid being over-matched physically since he wouldn't have to play as much down low like he would if he played center.

Skydog is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 11:30 AM
  #9
Marmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Part of this is due to RedLine. Quite a lot of people have faith in that garbage (at last what they can see on USAToday for free).

They successfully made fools of themselves again this year, ranking Staal 7th overall prospect.

Meanwhile, the "we just got th best player of the draft in Kastytsin" mantra of a few weeks ago was also directly from RedLine.

It does explain at least in part the sometimes weird opinions thrown around.

For what I saw of Kastytsin, it is plain rediculous to think he is going to be the best player in the draft. Althout I liked what I saw from him, I think his hype come from Redline and the fact he got lot of point at WJC but we have to remember that he got most of them against WEAK team. He seems to be a good all around talent but he is not oustanding in anything IMO. I don't know how his skills are going to translate to the Nhl but I would take Stall anyday before Ak-47.

Marmax is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 03:27 PM
  #10
Blatny Spears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toxostoma rufum
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
Well, Staal just got another one - his fifth of the preseason.

Blatny Spears is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 03:31 PM
  #11
sundinfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Hell yeah, I'm pretty sure he leads everyone in preseason goals now. Is this his 3rd or 4th game??

sundinfan13 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 04:03 PM
  #12
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I had some very serious reservations regarding Staal at the start of the preseason. I know he's not out of the woods yet, but he certainly has proven his case to play a bigtime role in the NHL this year.

From what i've heard, Staal will likely center the 3rd line. Vasicek has been heard playing on Brind'Amour's wing. I'm hoping he gets the right amount of icetime and doesn't stunt his development.

Holy cow, 5 goals in 3 games is impressive for anyone. Not to mention an 18 year old phenom. Meanwhile, Sydney Crosby has his skates sharpened and the threads just go nuts.

Vagrant is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 05:41 AM
  #13
Twisted Wrister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Boardroom
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
I had some very serious reservations regarding Staal at the start of the preseason. I know he's not out of the woods yet, but he certainly has proven his case to play a bigtime role in the NHL this year.

From what i've heard, Staal will likely center the 3rd line. Vasicek has been heard playing on Brind'Amour's wing. I'm hoping he gets the right amount of icetime and doesn't stunt his development.
Staal's making it hard for him not to make the team. Good for him. At this rate, I imagine he'll probably start the season with the Canes until he hits the wall physically and then is sent back to the OHL for the remainder of the season.

Twisted Wrister is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 05:07 AM
  #14
Habs4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal, (Quebec)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
hey slow down there!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmax
For what I saw of Kastytsin, it is plain rediculous to think he is going to be the best player in the draft. Althout I liked what I saw from him, I think his hype come from Redline and the fact he got lot of point at WJC but we have to remember that he got most of them against WEAK team. He seems to be a good all around talent but he is not oustanding in anything IMO. I don't know how his skills are going to translate to the Nhl but I would take Stall anyday before Ak-47.

Let him atleast come to North America first before making any judgements, are you saying Belarus can't produce NHL talent, say what you will but from what I heard from scoutes I have faith in Kastitsyn, and why are you judging him now, he's 19 year old trying to play in Russian men league give him some time to adjust to RSL, with more ice time he'll take the soptlight and become dominant, he's project just like Perezhogin was just more potential and maybe more proven at this point then Prezhogin was when he was drafted, both of them have lot of similarities.

Habs4ever is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 05:19 AM
  #15
Histrion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Fortified City
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Staal sure his impressive up to this point, I didn't had a lot of faith in him, but the tide might change soon as he is beggining to prove me wrong, and I love that.

As for the Kastitsyn thing, I don't think he'll end the best player of the draft with guys like Fleury, Staal and Zherdev in it, but he could become a good player down the road. I just think he has been overhyped since the WJC..

Histrion is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 05:32 AM
  #16
IGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
One, you can't criticize someone for thinking that a player is great and then blow your own players horn. It is hypicritical. You have the opinion that Kos is the best in the draft, I and probably everyone who has seen both of them play (as well as a few of the other top 15 from this years draft) think that Staal is hands down the best so far.

I got to see him score two goals in one game and have a goal and an assist in another. He has fit right in and it wouldn't suprise me if he started the season with the Canes. SO FAR he is looking like the best player taken in his draft.

IGM is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 06:44 AM
  #17
paul99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, PQ
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Let him atleast come to North America first before making any judgements, are you saying Belarus can't produce NHL talent, say what you will but from what I heard from scoutes I have faith in Kastitsyn, and why are you judging him now, he's 19 year old trying to play in Russian men league give him some time to adjust to RSL, with more ice time he'll take the soptlight and become dominant, he's project just like Perezhogin was just more potential and maybe more proven at this point then Prezhogin was when he was drafted, both of them have lot of similarities.
He will only turn 19 in february 2004. Till now, he played 2 games with CSKA and got one assist. CSKA is a good environment for his development.

paul99 is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 07:39 AM
  #18
Robert Paulson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Happy Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
are you saying Belarus can't produce NHL talent
Konstantin Koltsov [KČ ] is also from Belarus, and he just had a HT 2 games ago against the Blue Jackets. I'm not saying that will translate right to the regular season, but he's been doing really well thus far and has a good chance to play one of Mario's wings. Not bad for a Belarussian [if that's how you'd say it ].

Robert Paulson* is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 07:45 AM
  #19
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
I had some very serious reservations regarding Staal at the start of the preseason. I know he's not out of the woods yet, but he certainly has proven his case to play a bigtime role in the NHL this year.

From what i've heard, Staal will likely center the 3rd line. Vasicek has been heard playing on Brind'Amour's wing. I'm hoping he gets the right amount of icetime and doesn't stunt his development.

Holy cow, 5 goals in 3 games is impressive for anyone. Not to mention an 18 year old phenom. Meanwhile, Sydney Crosby has his skates sharpened and the threads just go nuts.
Wait...he had his skates sharpened??? And i missed it?

Vatican Roulette is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 07:48 AM
  #20
Koltsov71
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
From what i've heard, Staal will likely center the 3rd line. Vasicek has been heard playing on Brind'Amour's wing. I'm hoping he gets the right amount of icetime and doesn't stunt his development.
Maurice has stated that he wants to use Murray - Adams - Adams as the third line. Which I'm not too crazy about. They would be a very effective fourth line if given the playing time, but I don't like them as a third line. So far, the top three lines are looking like:

Vrbata - Francis - O'Neill
Vasicek - Brind'Amour - Cole
Murray - Adams - Adams

 
Old
09-28-2003, 07:58 AM
  #21
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 10,814
vCash: 500
Good for Staal. I'd like to see him make the Canes.

tom_servo is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 07:59 AM
  #22
Robert Paulson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Happy Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov47
Maurice has stated that he wants to use Murray - Adams - Adams as the third line. Which I'm not too crazy about. They would be a very effective fourth line if given the playing time, but I don't like them as a third line. So far, the top three lines are looking like:

Vrbata - Francis - O'Neill
Vasicek - Brind'Amour - Cole
Murray - Adams - Adams
What about Ryan Bayda??? He played top line LW for 25 games last year and got 4 and 10..

Robert Paulson* is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 09:09 AM
  #23
Skydog
Registered User
 
Skydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
What about Ryan Bayda??? He played top line LW for 25 games last year and got 4 and 10..

Vrbata - Francis - O'Neill
Vasicek - Brind'Amour - Cole
Murray - Adams - Adams
Bayda - Staal - Svoboda

I think Bayda will be on Staal's line. I would much rather see Vrbata on Brind'Amour's line playing right wing because #1 that is what he is used to and #2 it would spread out the scoring. But Brind'Amour wants more physical wingers so that has forced a new home for Vrbata on the top line pushing Bayda down the depth chart.

Skydog is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 12:08 PM
  #24
Marmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Let him atleast come to North America first before making any judgements, are you saying Belarus can't produce NHL talent, say what you will but from what I heard from scoutes I have faith in Kastitsyn, and why are you judging him now, he's 19 year old trying to play in Russian men league give him some time to adjust to RSL, with more ice time he'll take the soptlight and become dominant, he's project just like Perezhogin was just more potential and maybe more proven at this point then Prezhogin was when he was drafted, both of them have lot of similarities.

Did you understand something from what I wrote? I never said Katsytsin was going to bust out and never said anything about Belarus, that is just a stupid idea of yours. If you read carefully what I wrote, I said that I liked Katsysin but I dont think he is in the same league than Stall or Zherdev and I am not sure how is talent will translate in Nhl. If he become a superstar than so much the better but for now I consider Stall a better prospect in most area.

Edit: mistakes

Marmax is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.