HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 50 NHL Prospects: Nikolaj Ehlers debuts in 11-20 portion of Fall ranking

Old
10-09-2014, 02:35 PM
HF Article

vCash: 500
Top 50 NHL Prospects: Nikolaj Ehlers debuts in 11-20 portion of Fall ranking

Photo: Dynamic winger Nikolaj Ehlers turned a lot of heads in his first NHL training camp with the Winnipeg Jets. Ehlers was selected in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft. (courtesy of Terrence Lee/Icon Sportswire)

The Fall edition of the*Hockey’s Future ranking of the Top 50 NHL prospects continues with the prospects ranked 11-20. Leading this portion of the rankings is Nikolaj Ehlers, who is one of two Winnipeg Jets prospects in this group.

The 11-20 section of the rankings also features two prominent goaltending prospects,* John Gibson (ANA) and Andrey Vasilevskiy (TB). Edmonton prospect*Leon Draisaitl joins Ehlers as the only 2014 NHL Draft picks in this section of the rankings.… read more

The post Top 50 NHL Prospects: Nikolaj Ehlers debuts in 11-20 portion of Fall ranking appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 05:09 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of Mirco Mueller in this top 50 thus far and I wouldn't say he's top 10. That's all.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 05:27 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

11 seems really high for Ehlers, considering almost 11 players were selected before him from this year's draft alone.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 05:30 PM
JohnnyGoodDro
haatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
11 seems really high for Ehlers, considering almost 11 players were selected before him from this year's draft alone.
Yeah, well a lot of places had him higher. Plus a strong showing at rookie camp, trainig camp and pre season probably boosted his status a little.
draft position means very little. No team will have the same draft ranking as another. Fleury, Draisatil, and Nylander were taken ahead of Ehlers... but doesnt mean they are better prospects than him. Some people may think so, others will think differently. This guy likes Ehlers a lot apparently.

Just have to take it as it is. One website's rankings.

JohnnyGoodDro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Sgt Osiris
I know who I am!

vCash: 200
Quote:
I feel if nylander was 10 you wouldn't care about ehlers ranking. The nature of how comparable they are from a prospect talent level and how ehlers was passed over for nylander in the draft will bring scrutiny for years. Including any rankings etc. I'm not so much surprised at the 11 spot but surprised at the separation in rankings between nylander and ehlers, although ehlers did really shine in the preseason.

Sgt Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 05:36 PM
boredmale

How the hell is Ehlers 11th given the fact 8 players were picked before him in the draft and I seen a few of them already on the list. Even if you want to say that the players in the top of this draft were close in skill, Leon Draisaitl should be rated higher

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Sgt Osiris
I know who I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
How the hell is Ehlers 11th given the fact 8 players were picked before him in the draft and I seen a few of them already on the list. Even if you want to say that the players in the top of this draft were close in skill, Leon Draisaitl should be rated higher
The guys making the list recognize talent when they see it.

Old
10-09-2014, 05:42 PM
JohnnyGoodDro
haatley

I guess its a crime to have a ranking that doesnt follow draft order.

JohnnyGoodDro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 05:44 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The guys making the list recognize talent when they see it.
Thing is most of these guys haven't played 1 meaningful game since they were drafted, so if Draisaitl was head and shoulders above Ehlers at the draft how the hell can Ehlers overtake him now

Old
10-09-2014, 05:50 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I feel if nylander was 10 you wouldn't care about ehlers ranking. The nature of how comparable they are from a prospect talent level and how ehlers was passed over for nylander in the draft will bring scrutiny for years. Including any rankings etc. I'm not so much surprised at the 11 spot but surprised at the separation in rankings between nylander and ehlers, although ehlers did really shine in the preseason.

What does this have to do with Nylander, Doc? I'm looking at Draisaitl.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Sgt Osiris
I know who I am!

Quote:

What does this have to do with Nylander, Doc? I'm looking at Draisaitl.
Oh, sorry for projecting. I guess for myself as a fan of both the jets and leafs I was surprised at the separation.

Glad to see you don't disagree with the large difference in rank between the two but I would hardly have the attitude nylander is irrelevant in a discussion of prospects at ehlers and draisatls level. Agree to disagree I guess.

Old
10-09-2014, 06:08 PM
stayinalive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Thing is most of these guys haven't played 1 meaningful game since they were drafted, so if Draisaitl was head and shoulders above Ehlers at the draft how the hell can Ehlers overtake him now
who is actually saying that Draisaitl was head and shoulders above Ehlers at the draft?
Just because Draisaitl was higher on most of the consensus list, he is not necessarily head and shoulders above Ehlers in everyone eyes.

What kinda bothers me with this list is the placemet of G. Reinhart. Ahead of guys like Vasilevsky, Gibson and especially Ristolainen? Seems pretty questionable to me.

stayinalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 06:15 PM
bobbyt911

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
who is actually saying that Draisaitl was head and shoulders above Ehlers at the draft?
Just because Draisaitl was higher on most of the consensus list, he is not necessarily head and shoulders above Ehlers in everyone eyes.

What kinda bothers me with this list is the placemet of G. Reinhart. Ahead of guys like Vasilevsky, Gibson and especially Ristolainen? Seems pretty questionable to me.
these lists are craapshoots anyhow. Some times its pretty funny to take a step back and realize how funny it is to act like they know when they have no clue. To have guys separated on a list over what amounts to 5-10 plays is

Old
10-09-2014, 06:17 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Yep. The draft order is clearly WRONG every single year, otherwise the rank of the players 10 years later would be the same as the order they were drafted in.

A lot of people thought he was the steal of the draft, and if it werent for the fact that he was a late riser and is undersized, could have easily been widely considered a top 5 draft choice for this past draft.

The only reason I preferred Nylander to Ehlers was because Toronto desperately needs a centre and centres are more important. But id have been very happy to get Ehlers, he's the better prospect IMO.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 06:18 PM
western redmen
the forgotten owskis

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
if Bennett is below ehlers you would be all up in arms too, I personally just don't see how ehlers is better than LD so soon after the draft

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Tripod

Morrisey and Morin were 2 picks apart 1 year ago. What has Morrisey done in 1 year to get to #18 whereas Morin is not even in the top 50? Seems odd to me.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 06:45 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
Let's be honest here every list we seen had a clear cut top 4 that included Draisaitl so for the most part the consensus is that before the draft he was better then Ehlers. I ask what has he or Ehlers done in the off season to change that

Old
10-09-2014, 06:48 PM
ecemleafs

guess no buchnevich or duclair on the list despite duclair making the rangers opening night roster at 19 and buchnevich getting 1st line minutes in the KHL at 19.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 06:51 PM
StronGeer
Nvr tell me the odds

vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Morrisey and Morin were 2 picks apart 1 year ago. What has Morrisey done in 1 year to get to #18 whereas Morin is not even in the top 50? Seems odd to me.
Because Morrissey has progressed into a better player than Morin?

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 06:55 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Play better

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 06:59 PM
BondraTime

Quote:
WHL GP 59 G 28 A 45 P 73

AHL Playoffs GP20 G 2 A 7 P 9

That

BondraTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 07:22 PM
jayck

Quote:
Beside the fact that Morin is bigger than Morrissey. What did he do best than him to be considered a better prospect?!

jayck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 08:53 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Ehlers was great in camp, he definitely has things to work on such as size, strength, and his breakout/d-zone coverage. Vacated the zone way too early. Works fine in junior, but NHL teams plug up passing lanes very well.

However his offensive game is unbelievable. He made a mockery of many NHL d-men. Patrick Kane lite. Beautiful back hand saucer passes, drawing players out of position, running picks, speed to burn, and a great shot. He was doing things I've never seen any Winnipeg player do.

Going into the season he will play against other teams competition, this season will be a better measuring stick than last. Although he didn't play on a line with Drouin, he did benefit from playing lesser competition. They did play together at times on the power play.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 09:15 PM
DoubleDouble*

vCash: 860
Too low
Fleury, Nylander, Lindholm, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Ristolainen, Virtanen

Too high
Gaudreau, Forsberg, Kucherov, Wennberg, Pouliot, Murphy, Grigorenko

Just my opinion. We won't know for a long time, but based on past lists, we can guarantee that this list won't closely reflect reality. The accuracy is there, but not the precision.

DoubleDouble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2014, 09:17 PM
DoubleDouble*

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Ehlers was great in camp, he definitely has things to work on such as size, strength, and his breakout/d-zone coverage. Vacated the zone way too early. Works fine in junior, but NHL teams plug up passing lanes very well.

However his offensive game is unbelievable. He made a mockery of many NHL d-men. Patrick Kane lite. Beautiful back hand saucer passes, drawing players out of position, running picks, speed to burn, and a great shot. He was doing things I've never seen any Winnipeg player do.

Going into the season he will play against other teams competition, this season will be a better measuring stick than last. Although he didn't play on a line with Drouin, he did benefit from playing lesser competition. They did play together at times on the power play.
Nylander, Morin, Domi...these guys all had great camps too. I don't think this is based on camp, if it was, Nylander would be right there and Morin would be on the list.

DoubleDouble* is offline   Reply With Quote